Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hermetic Magic for Storypath

Hello guys,

It’s not an TC post properly, but it uses the basis on TC Storypath system (as Scion have no skill tricks or edges).

Anyway, as I told before, I love Ars Magica, but hate how slow the game goes... I tried to make it to D20, but the way to do that was too far disturbing to get any good result... Now with some rule ideas brought from Mages (Ascension and Awaken) and the awesome way complex actions work on Storypath, I put together some rules for Hermetic Magic on a more action and character focused game...

It’s far incomplete to be used alone, you need the TC core to get most of the rules and need the Ars Magica (I use 5th edition, but probably all work) to get the magical concepts (kinds of magic, arcane connection multiplier, things like that) and setting concepts (what is Hermetic, what is the order, what are the houses, etc).

It’s on my Dropbox, and I start apologising for my English as it is not my mother language. Corrections are welcome and suggestions for rules and missing info too.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/p3hwaem623...Magic.pdf?dl=0

Have you posted this on the ars magica forum? I'd throw it up on the ars magica reddit: reddit.com/r/arsmagica http://forum.atlas-games.com/

I have Ars Magica but not the Storypath system. This needs some more explanation to have wider appeal and get people to have a sense of how it will work out in play. I think you have some good ideas though.

Comment

Thanks!

As the first book using Storypath is going to be available only next month, I don’t know how far I can go from this forum without needing to explain the entire system and how it works. I mean, it’s not a complex system, but it’s not open to public, only to backers, so there may be some changes on the system until launch. Maybe later I bring it to AM forums.

So far I am trying to test how the casting is working, I want to keep Magic a challenge but possible, it’s more about refine the idea and put the numbers to work. I know the rituals are not difficult, but requires time to set things up, more or less what we see in AM, but I am not sure about the formulaic and spontaneous spells.

Also I am trying to let the hedge wizards to be interesting characters, not as versatile as an Magus, but I still with some power on face to face situations.

Comment

There is the free https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...System-Preview

So the base resolution stuff was previously disseminated. There was also an actual play podcast that played some Scion 2e, but I haven't listened yet, so I couldn't tell you how much of an idea it gives to how the system works.

Raksha are my fae-vorite.

Reincarnation of magnificentmomo.

Comment

I updated the file after a few tests I did, most of them related to the casting. I would be happy if you all take a look.

Thanks.

Comment

Minor update, I refined some of the Supernatural Abilities to be more tuned to what they are in the original. No they are not the same, but I turn some of the effects into nonHrmetic Arts to make it easier to the Ex-Micellanea to deal with it without over powering other houses.

It’s updated on the same address.

Comment

Good Morning, had a play test during the weekend and got some feedback (before that I was simulating by my self). Some descriptions are different, some effects are rewritten, there are some example of magical antagonists and rules to make new ones.

It was a fun game. One of the guys was working lots of spontaneous spells, he was good and it worked fine For him, but not everyone was interested on improv, as they had some time to build a few spells uses as formulaic.

Rituals work fine, but it’s quite hard to use them on scenes, usually we kept them offscreen. Even the one that were supposed to be during scenes were avoided, leaving the caster alone while others protected, what was boring to the caster...

Anyway, download in the same address

Comment

I'll be using this in my upcoming Scion game, I think. Anything I should change, or is it good to go with Scion, do you think?

Comment

Scion have a standard skill to deal with the supernatural, Occult. You have 2 options about the spell casting skill, use Occult or add Magic just for that end. I created Magic to be used as Occult is in Scion, as there is no equivalent skill in trinity, and I would use Occult to all Magic related rolls.

Scion don’t have edges and skill tricks, so I guess you will need to adapt a bit.
                  I would say a regular knack is equivalent to a 3 or 4 dots edge. But edges are cheeped as you have a higher number of them than knacks. I would let the character pick any 3 dot edge as a knack.
                  Skill tricks have a minor effect, I put them to give some flavour to the game, but it can be easily removed without any impact on spell casting or any balance.

Scion characters spend much less experience to evolve, just reduce the experience cost of the arts to 2 per dot and supernatural abilities to 3 per dot. If you want more power on the magic than you have as a hero, let the arts cost 1 experience per dot and supernatural abilities 2.

I would leave hermetic Magic as a mortal level magic, in contrast to the scion marvels, but scions can use it as it is. A god casting hermetic magic would take no advantage over a mortal caster, except a natural higher values and scale enhancements on the casting rolls.

If you want to keep the Order of Hermes in your game, I would let the character have more Knacks, 2 or 3 knacks totalling 5 dots is enough. Much of the fun in the setting is in the difference you get from each house.
                  If you just keep the magic and nothing else, don’t worrie about it.

That’s what I can think of as different. Notice that a few of the enchancements will be higher than 3 (uncommon on Scion, but pretty regular on TC), other combat details (armors and weapons) have little to no effects on the magic system.

Edit: New Scion use the same experience cost as TC, so no chance on Art and Supernatural Abilities experience cost.
                  Last edited by Mateus Luz; 04-01-2019, 10:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by shadryx View Post
                    I'll be using this in my upcoming Scion game, I think. Anything I should change, or is it good to go with Scion, do you think?
                    Hi, did you use it? Just want some feedback.
                    Thanks!

Comment

Not yet. My game begins when we get the physical books. So it'll be a little while.

Comment

Ok. cheers...

Comment

Just wanted to say that I love Ars Magica, really love the idea of Form + Technique method of magic, and am really interested in the idea of combining the Storypath System with the Ars Magica magic system.

My actual comments will come shortly as I am going through the file with a smile on my face.

The one thing I can note is that I will be ignoring Warping, which is a system I detest even in Ars Magica and so I won't be using it here. (I find it weird that a being who is basically attuned to magic is incapable of safely using magic, so nope, not gonna touch it beyond the idea of warping from intense and dangerous magical failures) (Of course this is not a you thing, more a Ars Magica thing.)

Comment

Originally posted by LordHeru View Post
                            The one thing I can note is that I will be ignoring Warping, which is a system I detest even in Ars Magica and so I won't be using it here. (I find it weird that a being who is basically attuned to magic is incapable of safely using magic, so nope, not gonna touch it beyond the idea of warping from intense and dangerous magical failures) (Of course this is not a you thing, more a Ars Magica thing.)
                            I laugh a little with this, because I was about to not add it to the file just because it’s confuse and I hate the original too... in the end I made a easy version of it and it’s not much similar to the entire idea of Warping.

But you have my total bless for not giving a ... about the entire Warping parts...

I do like the idea of Warping as transforming the Magus into a witch, not because of failing magic but because of over using it... but it’s not the point here...

Comment

While the Forms and Techniques of Ars Magica are really nifty I can't help but think up other potential sets that could exist. My current set up is this.

Technique: Alter, Control, Create, Destroy, Mend, Move, Protect, Know
                              Forms: Air, Earth, Fire, Water, Plant, Animal, Machine, Body, Mind, Spirit, Illusion, Time, Space, Fate, Arcane, Void.

As a note Arcane represents pure magical energy while Void represents that which is from elsewhere. Which is different from Space as that is location and movement and distance.

Not that I would expect any modification to what you wrote but I figured my random thought intersects as an idea with the nature of this thread.

It also makes me really wish for an updated, modern, or new version of the Ars Magica system, though enhanced a bit.

Comment

Working...
                              X