No announcement yet.

Trinity World Hopping

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think 5th ed Ars Magica has a book (Changing Mythic Europe?) which explores stuff like the Order being more open and involved in politics, creating technological advances, making their own kingdoms and so forth.

What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
    Voltaire, "Tolerance" (1764)

Comment

Another random alternate earth idea to visit: One where much of Europe becomes Balkanized after much more successful (or at least disruptive) 1848 revolutions. Italy and Germany never unify, the Austria-Hungarians collapse, and even Britain and France fracture. I'm not entirely sure what the new states would be, other than all or part of the Midlands becoming a Marxist people's republic of some sort. This trend would then spread globally, perhaps with Texas never being annexed, some sort of sucessionist crisis taking place under a president unwilling to fight it, a successful Manitoban rebellion, an independent Yucatan, the collapse of the Qing dynasty into a new Warring States period during the Taiping uprising, and no creation of a unified India after the fall of the East India Company. Of course, something this widespread might be the result of outside meddling ....

What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.

Comment

I use Apeiron as the setting name for my Multiverse Chronicles. And to get maximum effect l like the idea of starting with limited other worlds and slowing adding them, so that it feels like discovery and history matters rather then he infinite sea of potential where nothing Matters.

Maybe incorporate Multiverse Theory for Time Travel so time travel just makes new timelines.

I always liked the Alternste Sunset Empire timeline of Crusader Kings II where the Aztecs Discover Europe and developed Firearms.

It is a time for great deeds!

Comment

I like your ideas (both of you), I would sum them and make my own, where the European Countries never formed, for some reason or other, like Germany and Italy took until 19th century to form. That way the Portuguese and Spanish explorers didn’t arrive in America, leaving the Aztecs for a few extra centuries, eventually getting in contact with the Incas and maybe all the way up to Alaska or some Viking descendants in the eastern North America. Eventually, as China and India, the Americans were technologically powerful enough to not get killed by the Europeans.

Comment

Originally posted by Mateus Luz View Post
            I like your ideas (both of you), I would sum them and make my own, where the European Countries never formed, for some reason or other, like Germany and Italy took until 19th century to form. That way the Portuguese and Spanish explorers didn’t arrive in America, leaving the Aztecs for a few extra centuries, eventually getting in contact with the Incas and maybe all the way up to Alaska or some Viking descendants in the eastern North America. Eventually, as China and India, the Americans were technologically powerful enough to not get killed by the Europeans.
            Lessee... Spain is fairly easy, with Ferdinand II of Aragon and Isabella of Castile never marry, and the last few Tafia kingdoms holding out a bit longer. And for one reason or another, Leon remains independent. So in 1500, the Iberian peninsula has six nations instead of two: Leon, Castile, Aragon, Navarre, Portugal, and Granada (with Cordova and Algarve as possible seventh and eighth). Portugal is still tooling around Africa and the Indian Ocean for trade reasons and may set up some small agricultural colonies in Brazil, but the others don't delevelop any overseas empires, as the Conquistadors are all still fighting Moors. Basque sailors from Navarre might discover and settle Bermuda, maybe.

I'm not sure about France. It could fracture during the 100 Years War, or have Aquitaine (and Brittany and Toulouse and even Anjou) become independent kingdoms in the 12th and 13th centuries.

The single biggest obstacle for the Americas is the lack of draft animals. This might be solved by having the Vikings manage to establish one or more colonies further south (say Massachusetts or New Jersey) which results in the horse or pony being introduced a few hundred years early. Possibly pig and cattle too. And maybe even certain crops.

Comment

The lack of draft animals could be partially avoided by the rivers (for movement) and the way the native Americans eats potatoes and corns (far more nutritive than wit). But indeed, it was a quite jump to give them just a few centuries of advantage. If the Europeans arrive in America by the same time, but work on a less aggressive way to conquer the land by a lack of man power. Let’s say, imagine the Aragones were fighting wars against Castilla and the othe non-Spain Spanish, lacking the power to conquer America the same way, but enough to send a few people to colonies, maybe a few running from the inquisition, or something like this. That way the Americans became more like a partner in commerce and less a bunch of obstacles.

Comment

Another option is that, for whatever reason, the Carolinian dynasty and its Holy Roman (Frankish) Empire never comes about. (Somewhere, once, I read an alternate history short story involving a world where, for whatever reason, Islam either never developed or never made it out of Arabia - I forget which, as this was 20+ years ago - and most of the post-Roman Gothic kingdoms - or at least their cultures - survived into the late Middle Ages; So you have Ostrogoth Italy, Visigoth Iberia, Vandal North Africa and Burgundian Alps. Such a thing has the potential to get very weird, as you still have Arian Christianity still around, as well as potential Pagan revivals and other oddities.)

Comment

It’s getting Scionic... but that’s a really good mind game... I really like the what if games and stories...

Comment

I think if I was going to run an Aeon Continuum world hopping campaign, it would probably be as a modern day Adventure!/pulp heroics sort of thing, with a team of Science Heroes (sort of like the original Challengers of the Unknown, the Fantastic Four from that one issue of What If? where they never got superpowers, or if you had a team up of Buckaroo Banzai, Doc Brown, and others of that ilk) who find their world breached by invaders from a more hostile reality (say, Soviet agents from a world were the USSR is still intact), and in attempting to reach the invading reality, the team finds a third world that might ally with them, and to have it gradually grow from there to more worlds, with the divergence points gradually going further and further back.

Comment

In the Sunset Empires scenario the Aztecs took Horses from their expeditions into Europe. So say they develop an Armada capable of crossing the Atlantic first and they bring Horses and Slaves back to the Americas. If they have over a century head start in crossing the Atlantic then that could be enough time to breed at a starting population of horses and the the like. And you have Llamas and the like in South America. The introduction of a strong religion with very obvious blood sacrifices would appear like Satan on Earth to Christians of Western Europe.

It is a time for great deeds!

Comment

Originally posted by Eldagusto View Post
                        I use Apeiron as the setting name for my Multiverse Chronicles. And to get maximum effect l like the idea of starting with limited other worlds and slowing adding them, so that it feels like discovery and history matters rather then he infinite sea of potential where nothing Matters.

Maybe incorporate Multiverse Theory for Time Travel so time travel just makes new timelines.
                        Apeiron, I like that. Its very nifty.

Honestly this is what I was thinking about. Somehow an Earth gains multiverse travel which starts small and with little control but expands in scope and control as events happen. This could be time travel like alternates and it could be the appearance of other powers and such.

I like the idea that at the start there are no superpowered people, well maybe Talents. But as things go on other powers begin to appear among those most heavily traveling between realms.

But yeah this is the sort of thing I really like.

Originally posted by No One of Consequence View Post
                        I think if I was going to run an Aeon Continuum world hopping campaign, it would probably be as a modern day Adventure!/pulp heroics sort of thing, with a team of Science Heroes (sort of like the original Challengers of the Unknown, the Fantastic Four from that one issue of What If? where they never got superpowers, or if you had a team up of Buckaroo Banzai, Doc Brown, and others of that ilk) who find their world breached by invaders from a more hostile reality (say, Soviet agents from a world were the USSR is still intact), and in attempting to reach the invading reality, the team finds a third world that might ally with them, and to have it gradually grow from there to more worlds, with the divergence points gradually going further and further back.
                        I like the start. Things are implemented on our world. No powers. Then maybe Talents are introduced, though without full acknowledgement of them being powers.

Then dimension travel appears, whether public or secret, with the first arc being exploration and adventure. Sort of episode of the week.

Then introduce something more, a vaster mystery. This will increase in yime to when something apocalyptic might occur if the players don't stop it.

As the events get bigger so does their powers, maybe leading to them beimg inspired or novas.
                        Last edited by LordHeru; 05-21-2019, 05:58 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X