Campaign Idea Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Campaign Idea Thread

Hey all, so I was thinking about potential campaign ideas and that led me to deciding to make this thread. A thread for potential campaign ideas, short or long, detailed or 'simple', standard world or alternate world idea.

My first idea is a post apocalyptic world hopping game. The World we start on is a destroyed, apocalyptic wasteland home to only one surviving city of a few thousand people. Everyone knows there is no way for them to continue to go on, no way to rebuild a world in such a state of monstrous total devastation. Which is why scientists came up with a way to basically change / undo the devastation, a plan that involves sending teams of special agents to various places and times throughout the worlds of reality in order to collect certain Seeds of Potential. When enough of them are gathered a process can be done that would basically change the world, rebuild it.

Another idea involves a mission to mars, with the players being a part of the scientific or colonist body. On Mars they discover something ancient that points to a great mystery. Accidentally accessing said artifact sends out a blast of energy which doesn't seem to do anything at first but in time will see the awakening of the Inspired and such. First phase is events on Mars then second phase is events on an Earth that is beginning to change.

A new idea that I just had is let's go traditional. The players are part of a society, probably the Aeon Society, which works to protect the world from threats of a more mysterious nature, A theft in a museum, an assassination of a political leader, and an arrival of a mysterious letter reveal the return of some great foe. The players are the ones tasked with investigating the mystery.

Feel free to comment on these ideas while also posting your own campaign ideas.

I want to go for a 80s action series style, probably starting in the 80s or 90s, and jumping a few years every few chronicles. The idea is a cross between McGuyver and Knight Rider, working on edge of technology. The character tell more about the way it would go, but they would be part of a restructured Aeon, fighting a few episodic enemies until discovering that many of them are part of another society of talents.

I had an idea a few years back on a humorous series, with the heroes being sport car racers and maybe the maintenance team that solve mysteries between and during races... just because it’s cool...

I will bring some more of my notes about old ideas...
    Last edited by Mateus Luz; 05-03-2019, 02:03 PM.

Comment

I want to make a 1970s pulp adventure/action TV setting, drawing on stuff like Shaft, the Six Million Dollar Man/Bionic Woman, The Destroyer, Master of Kung Fu, Wonder Woman, Dirty Harry, Charlie's Angels, The Incredible Hulk, Gemini Man, Smokey and the Bandit, and the like. Possibly expanded to include the the 1960s (Man from Uncle, James Bond, The Mod Squad) and 1980s (The A-Team, Knight Rider, Buckaroo Banzai).

What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
      Voltaire, "Tolerance" (1764)

Comment

The Incredible Hulk from the 70/80 (it was on TV in Brazil in the late 80s if I’m not wrong) with the guy painted green was much more pump than super. It was fun...

When I see Man from Uncle I can’t not remember Archer... it’s different, but in the new movie Man from Uncle Henry Cavill is the perfect Archer, even better on moustache. I definitely would go for an Archer campaign if my players allowed...

Comment

I grew up watching The Incredible Hulk as a kid, and my mom was a fan of the show as well (she also used to read my GI Joe comics). It, along with Wonder Woman, is one of the best templates for low-powered (as in what can be done with a TV show budget and limited special effects) superheroics, especially for something like Adventure or the new system where you have superhumans who aren't full blown Novas.

At some point, I need to see Guy Richie's Man from UNCLE. I enjoyed most of his early work. I also need to get around to watching the last season of Archer.

And if you've never read the Wonder Woman '77/Bionic Woman crossover from DC and Dynamite comics, it is a thing of beauty and fun, managing to include nearly every supporting character from both shows (including a Wonder Girl/Bionic Dog team up) in what is clearly the work of people who love both shows.

What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.

Comment

Mateus Luz

The idea of having a game that starts in one era and then jumps upwards a few years each adventure really seems nifty. You say 70s/80s but imagine even earlier, like around the Great Depression, or the World War II, and then the aftermath, and all that. If you give then Talent abilities that aid in living longer they could still be them even decades, nearly a century, later. That could be really fun.

I could see a prologue which is set NOW and the group are either reminiscing or something which then leads to a fade to the past.

OR it is NOW and something they are working on now requires them to revisit their past cases which suddenly becomes all linked together in a way they hadn't realized they were. That could be fun.

I could even see having them create two character sheets. One, their main one, starts off as a basic character with all the normal things. The second, the 'present' them starts with hundreds or something worth of extra XP. The cool thing is that as adventures go in time they become more and more the people of the present.

No One of Consequence

So much potential in the adventure and pulp novels and settings of the past. So much potential. hehe

Especially if you add it to something going on in the NOW.

--

Just had another idea.

Events are going normal when a pulse of mysterious energy comes from somewhere in the Atlantic Ocean. This leads to storms and tidal waves in the east coast of the Americas and the western coasts of Europe and Africa. But it also leads to NATO dispatching a group of ships to the theorized epicenter of said pulse. They discover an Anomaly, one whose appearance I am not entire sure of (so it could be an orb of spinning light or it could be a fissure and crack), and so focus study on it. Events occur and a ship is transported through the anomaly, which leads them to another World (one that is clearly the moon of a massive gas giant, in order to give it a foreign field.). A bit of exploration and they discover a nearby massive continent, For irony the location is the Atla Reefs and the ship that is transported is the USS Atlantis which leads to the continent being called Atlantis by the initial scouts. Within a year a treaty is signed between the nations of the world which lead to the start of an initial set of base building on the continent of the new world. The original explorer, a former Captain in the US Navy, is given permission to settle on a small island within a central river near the center of the continent. The players are a team of scouts and explorers based at his new settlement but who roam beyond it. The game could also have some city building with the players directing the growth of the colony. The new world could have megafauna and megaflora as well as special resources and unique anomaly sites. I could see the players becoming Talents due to nature of their lives int he new world.

But that is not all.

An older idea I had is an Inspired businessman built a giant arcology tower and populated it with millions of people within its spiraling open spaced interior. After a series of bizarre events on Earth he activates a prototype engine and jumps, an act which sees the tower and all inside it traveling between the worlds of reality. They will spend a day or so in each world before jumping again. The players are a team of first-in scouts who exit the tower (the safe haven) and explore the nearby countryside. Obviously at some point something should strand them on a world which leads to an adventure which leads to them gaining jump capability which leads them back to the arcology.

Furthermore.

I bit of watching Surviving Mars on YouTube has me really thinking about a Mars-based Trinity game. (Power groups could be Talents but I wouldn't mind there being the other two types of Inspired, when we get them.) Really thinking about it. I could see it having a bit of base building in addition to some sort of mystery that the players need to solve and that would make it quite a fun game. I could also see there being a storyline about what happens when there is loss of contact with the Earth.

Soooooo would like to think more about an adventure on Mars!!

Comment

When you start on the arcology story, I remembered one movie, that should be the pilot of a series that never happened, where the guys get into a building that they didn’t recognised before in the city, while there, the build shift to another earth where there was just savages, and they start interacting with the few people that lives in the building. That’s a interesting idea, more like a Sliders with a building instead of a portal device, and with a lack of control that you have on the reality hopping arcology.

I would add an idea a bit crossing Terra Nova and Land Before Time, there are Dinosaurs and other prehistoric creatures from several time periods, in this reality accessible by a reality fissure (or whatever name you prefere). You can came and go to “Prime earth” but it’s not that easy. They start exploring and find crystal structures that allow command some aspects of the land, or make easier to jump to other realities. Eventually they discover a weird stuff, maybe that that place is a land out of time, or that’s the Prime earth and all the others are reflexes of aspects of this one, some crazy stuff like this...

Comment

Only tangentelly related to Aberent, but I've long wanted to do a superhero setting where every character has to be named after a song title (and debut in the year the song came out). This is largely just to have characters named Supernaut and Time the Avenger, among others, but also to see what sort of ideas other people come up with.

Comment

I would name my Aberrant Despacito... because I hate people

Comment

Mateus Luz

I could totally see arcology command not having control over the realm shifting at the start. Maybe something goes wrong with the new power plant recently built into the tower that causes instability particles that are expelled by the building jumping. While they may not know where the building will go next they do know when it will jump, which works to give the people some sort of sense of timing. I could see the mini adventure where the group stay on a world when the tower jumps as the springboard for the campaign developing the ability to control where they jump to.

The idea of the players finding a building which jumps between realms is also an interesting one. I imagine it being somewhat like a warehouse which means a vast open interior space. Which is perfect as it allows for the players to basically base build as they adventure. So maybe they go to one realm where crystals are found that grow and so they harvest some and that lets them build a crystal farm within the building which grants them the ability to purchase a new set of goods.

I would LOVE an adventure in set in a world like Terra Nova and Land Before Time. I think it would be quite brilliant. And fun.Very fun. Especially with the idea that the connection between Earth and the New World isn't closed, its just restricted by some in-game reason.

-----

As an addition, I always thought a campaign set in something similar to the World of Tomorrow would be interesting. That the idea of there being a parallel world similar to the base world but empty of human life and thus fitting for habitation is a great one to me. That a group finds it, heads over to it, explores it, and then begins to settle it is brilliant.
                    Last edited by LordHeru; 05-09-2019, 03:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mateus Luz View Post
                      I would name my Aberrant Despacito... because I hate people
                      I have this image in my head of a young Puerto Rican guy with time or velocity manipulation powers who gets invited to join a big time superteam but only if he first agrees to a makeover that turns him into a Justin Bieber lookalike.

Comment

Originally posted by No One of Consequence View Post

I have this image in my head of a young Puerto Rican guy with time or velocity manipulation powers who gets invited to join a big time superteam but only if he first agrees to a makeover that turns him into a Justin Bieber lookalike.
                        I would make him a not very smart guy, that is Mega Social, and can talk softly to people and convince people to do stuff, something like Rumor from Umbrela Academy but he must kind of seduce the person, so no screaming or anything. He gets into a Super Team to became rich and famous, but he can do basically nothing else as he never needed.

Comment

LordHeru
                          I used to watch Land Before time when I was a kid, and by the end of Terra Nova the feeling of a Land Before Time saga was very close.
                          Tomorrowland is AWESOME, many people didn't like the movie, but I was amazed by so many ideas and possibilities. Its like Eureka but on a parallel dimension (what makes sense) and all the people there is somehow Talents (at least on a minimal level of talent, enough to build some super science).
                          Actually it could start with a Eureka like city somewhere, and they are moving to th new dimension, so the characters must colonise it, taking a bit of the Terra Nova idea and mixing.

Comment

Originally posted by Mateus Luz View Post

I would make him a not very smart guy, that is Mega Social, and can talk softly to people and convince people to do stuff, something like Rumor from Umbrela Academy but he must kind of seduce the person, so no screaming or anything. He gets into a Super Team to became rich and famous, but he can do basically nothing else as he never needed.
                            Your idea is better. I still think he needs to look like a Puerto Rican Justin Bieber though.

(And I also liked Tomorrowland, but I'm a huge Brad Bird fan.)

Comment

Originally posted by No One of Consequence View Post

Your idea is better. I still think he needs to look like a Puerto Rican Justin Bieber though.

(And I also liked Tomorrowland, but I'm a huge Brad Bird fan.)
                              A Puerto Rican guy named Justo Biebedor

Comment

Working...
                              X