Health

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Health

So for some reason I seem to have a mental block in truly understanding the Health system in the Storypath system. The thing is I don't know why or where the mental block comes in, I just know its there.

Soooo, I was wondering, hoping really, that someone here would help me understand how it works in such a way that the mental block goes away and I go "oooh, so that's how it operates, simple!"

Its frustrating not only because I get everything else about the system but also the fact that due to my nature I am more inclined towards the ST role rather than that of a player.

So yeah, any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Health is a bit complex, because it follows a not standard Health system.

The idea is, you can suffer a specific number of injuries according to your Stamina.
    This injuries cause complications, for example a broken arm, a cut in the face, a pierced lung, things like that.

When you get an injurie, you determine what Complication it will be, among the free “health boxes” you have, possibly being Bruised (causes -1 Complication and 1 momentum when have impact in game), Injured (-2 and 2 momentum) or Maimed (-4 and 4 momentum). The number of boxes and the kind of box is determined by the character Stamina.

If you have no free “health boxes” you are taken out, in other words, you are off, dead, unconscious or a linear sum of them. If taken out you also grant some momentum.

That’s basically it. No roll to avoid damage, no armor addon (except for the free health boxes related to it), no minimum damage to kill or anything.
    Last edited by Mateus Luz; 05-29-2019, 02:09 PM.

Comment

Mateus Luz Hey sorry for the delay but life got a bit distracting.

Thank you for your response, I really appreciate it.

Okay, so reading your post, I get the words but I guess there is a disconnect between reading them and playing them.

Honestly, I really wish that the gameline used health points rather than boxes and such. Its so much easier to say, and play, the idea of "character has x health, he got hit for y, which leaves him with [x-y]". I just find it frustrating.

That said, do you by any chance have some examples that might make it all the more easy to follow. I don't mean to make you do work or anything, but maybe with examples I can figure out whatever the disconnect is and well connect it.

Thanks for the help and the information. I appreciate. Also, sorry for the delay in response!

Comment

I will try to make a example with low context to be fast and as clear as possible.

So we have an Attacker and the Target.
        Attacker rolls 6 dice and gave 2 enhancements from the weapon.
        Target have Stamina 3, so 2 Bruised (+1), 1 Injured (+2) and 1 Maimed (+4) health boxes, and roll 3 dice for defence. He also uses a armor with 1 Hard and 2 Soft tags, Hard Armor tag add 1 health box that causes no penalties, and soft armor tag increase the cost of cause injury stunt by 1 per tag.
        health Boxes
        [ ] —
        [ ] +1
        [ ] +1
        [ ] +2
        [ ] +4

1st round
        Attacker roll 3 successes and 2 enhancements, total 5 successes
        Target roll defence get 1 success, resulting defence 2.
        Attacker spend 2 successes to hit and 2 successes to cause injury (cost equal to Soft armor value), the extra success he uses to feint, giving himself an enhancement for next round.
        Target was hit, marking his armor health box, no increase in difficulty.
        Target how have only 1 mark on his armor health box.
        Boxes
        [X] —
        [ ] +1
        [ ] +1
        [ ] +2
        [ ] +4

Round 2
        Attacker roll 4 successes, +3 enhancements (2 standard, 1 from last round feint), total 7 successes
        Target roll defence, no successes, defence 1
        Attacker spend 1 success to hit, 2 to cause injury, 4 for a critical success
        Target suffer 2 injuries (one from cause injurie stunt and one from critical stunt), he decides to get 2 Bruised health boxes, the hit caused a bruised lung and a bruised arm, he will get +1 on all difficulties related to the use of the bruised arm and when needing to deep breath, like when doing prolonged running, due to the bruised lung.
        Target now have 2 Bruised and armor health boxes marked, any future hit will cause an Injured condition or worse.
        Boxes
        [X] —
        [X] +1
        [X] +1
        [ ] +2
        [ ] +4

Round 3
        Attacker roll 2 successes, +2 enhancements, total 4 successes
        Target roll defence, 1 successes, defence 2
        Attacker spend 2 success to hit, 2 to cause injury
        Target suffer 1 injury, he decides to get 1 Injured health box, the hit caused a broken leg, he will get +2 on all difficulties related to the use of the broken leg, like when standing up, or running.
        Target now have 1 Injured, 2 Bruised and armor health boxes marked, any future hit will cause an Maimed condition or worse.
        Boxes
        [X] —
        [X] +1
        [X] +1
        [X] +2
        [ ] +4

Could I transmit it? It’s quite hard, as I said, it’s not the usual way, so it requires a reset on our mindset to understand the idea of 1 shot one injury (except for critical hits).

Edit: Added health boxes
        Last edited by Mateus Luz; 06-28-2019, 05:53 AM.

Comment

In Chronicles of Darkness is used similar Health system. It is best learned when you draw the Health boxes and simulate simple combat. Mateus Luz , maybe add Health boxes to your description for easier understanding?
          Last edited by wyrdhamster; 06-28-2019, 09:02 AM.

My stuff for Scion 2E, CoD Contagion, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E & BtP
          LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Originally posted by wyrdhamster View Post
            In Chronicles of Darkness is used similar Health system. He is best learned when you draw the Health boxes and simulate simple combat. Mateus Luz , maybe add Health boxes to your description for easier understanding?
            Consider it done

Comment

Mateus Luz , as you explained it to me - Maybe better is to point that 'Health +X' are '+Xc' - where c is Complications? When you see on Health as track of rising Complications for character - it really start to make sense.

Originally posted by Mateus Luz View Post
              Well... technically it’s raising the difficulty, not reducing the successes. I just had to reread it, I had in mind it added a complication you could potentially avoid, but it raise the difficulty of the action, so it must be a plus.

Edit: in Storypath they don’t change dicepools, just add and subtract successes. I think it’s easier this way, but it also have a HUGE impact on the number of direct successes...

My stuff for Scion 2E, CoD Contagion, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E & BtP
              LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Indeed, outing a notation as +Xd is better to understand, I just didn’t get used to it yet.

The +X is a raise in the difficulty of the related action (it’s not a complication).

Comment

I will try to make a example with low context to be fast and as clear as possible.

So we have an Attacker and the Target.
                  Attacker rolls 6 dice and gave 2 enhancements from the weapon.
                  Target have Stamina 3, so 2 Bruised (+1), 1 Injured (+2) and 1 Maimed (+4) health boxes, and roll 3 dice for defence. He also uses a armor with 1 Hard and 2 Soft tags, Hard Armor tag add 1 health box that causes no penalties, and soft armor tag increase the cost of cause injury stunt by 1 per tag.
                  health Boxes
                  [ ] —
                  [ ] +1
                  [ ] +1
                  [ ] +2
                  [ ] +4

1st round
                  Attacker roll 3 successes and 2 enhancements, total 5 successes
                  Target roll defence get 1 success, resulting defence 2.
                  Attacker spend 2 successes to hit and 2 successes to cause injury (cost equal to Soft armor value), the extra success he uses to feint, giving himself an enhancement for next round.
                  Target was hit, marking his armor health box, no increase in difficulty.
                  Target how have only 1 mark on his armor health box.
                  Boxes
                  [X] —
                  [ ] +1
                  [ ] +1
                  [ ] +2
                  [ ] +4

Round 2
                  Attacker roll 4 successes, +3 enhancements (2 standard, 1 from last round feint), total 7 successes
                  Target roll defence, no successes, defence 1
                  Attacker spend 1 success to hit, 2 to cause injury, 4 for a critical success
                  Target suffer 2 injuries (one from cause injurie stunt and one from critical stunt), he decides to get 2 Bruised health boxes, the hit caused a bruised lung and a bruised arm, he will get +1 on all difficulties related to the use of the bruised arm and when needing to deep breath, like when doing prolonged running, due to the bruised lung.
                  Target now have 2 Bruised and armor health boxes marked, any future hit will cause an Injured condition or worse.
                  Boxes
                  [X] —
                  [X] +1
                  [X] +1
                  [ ] +2
                  [ ] +4

Round 3
                  Attacker roll 2 successes, +2 enhancements, total 4 successes
                  Target roll defence, 1 successes, defence 2
                  Attacker spend 2 success to hit, 2 to cause injury
                  Target suffer 1 injury, he decides to get 1 Injured health box, the hit caused a broken leg, he will get +2 on all difficulties related to the use of the broken leg, like when standing up, or running.
                  Target now have 1 Injured, 2 Bruised and armor health boxes marked, any future hit will cause an Maimed condition or worse.
                  Boxes
                  [X] —
                  [X] +1
                  [X] +1
                  [X] +2
                  [ ] +4

Could I transmit it? It’s quite hard, as I said, it’s not the usual way, so it requires a reset on our mindset to understand the idea of 1 shot one injury (except for critical hits).

Edit: Added health boxes

What a great simple example, you rock.

Roleplaying not Rollplaying or Ruleplaying
                  Current Focus
                  Storypath & Storypath to Run CoD, VtR, WtF, MtA
                  Dungeons & Dragons 5th Edition

Comment

Health is a bit complex, because it follows a not standard Health system.

The idea is, you can suffer a specific number of injuries according to your Stamina.
                    This injuries cause complications, for example a broken arm, a cut in the face, a pierced lung, things like that.

When you get an injurie, you determine what Complication it will be, among the free “health boxes” you have, possibly being Bruised (causes -1 Complication and 1 momentum when have impact in game), Injured (-2 and 2 momentum) or Maimed (-4 and 4 momentum). The number of boxes and the kind of box is determined by the character Stamina.

If you have no free “health boxes” you are taken out, in other words, you are off, dead, unconscious or a linear sum of them. If taken out you also grant some momentum.

That’s basically it. No roll to avoid damage, no armor addon (except for the free health boxes related to it), no minimum damage to kill or anything.

I had not heard of the 1 for 1 momentum on the wound penalties, is that new or recent? Thanks

1 Complication = 1 Momentum on a failure or setback
                    2 Complication = 2 Momentum on a failure or setback
                    4 Complication = 4 Momentum on a failure or setback

Best regards

Roleplaying not Rollplaying or Ruleplaying
                    Current Focus
                    Storypath & Storypath to Run CoD, VtR, WtF, MtA
                    Dungeons & Dragons 5th Edition

Comment

Originally posted by Graylion View Post
                      I had not heard of the 1 for 1 momentum on the wound penalties, is that new or recent? Thanks

Best regards
                      Unfortunately, unless Mateus Luz can provide a page reference*, you don’t get extra Momentum for increased penalties. If the Condition impacts your character, you gain 1 Momentum regardless of the level of Complication. If you botch, you gain 2 Momentum.

As far as I’m aware* “1 for 1” isn’t a thing.

* Happy to be corrected if there’s a page reference, but I’ve searched through the latest version of TC Core and it doesn’t appear to be.

Writer. Developer. World of Darkness | Chronicles of Darkness | The Trinity Continuum

Comment

Originally posted by Graylion View Post

Best regards
                        That post was Wrong in 2 ways:
                        This Momentum add is wrong, it’s 1 Momentum per condition.
                        The conditions don’t add complications, but rise the difficulty of the action.
                        Bunyip is right.

The example I wrote later is correct as far as I understand now.

Comment

So I've read the example and I very much appreciate you writing that up. I'm going to have to reread it a couple of more times in order to make sure I get it, that I understand it. (Now I know it will never happen but I really wish a more numerical health point system was used, it's so much easier to go 'you strike for three points, subtract that from character's twenty points of health).

But yeah, thanks for the information, I will be going over it again and again till I get it to one hundred percent levels.

Comment

So am I missing something or is it now impossible to kill someone over stamina 2 with one shot? Even though a Mega-Might nova gets 8 or so free enhancements he can only deal damage up to twice?

Comment

Originally posted by tragedyjones View Post
                              So am I missing something or is it now impossible to kill someone over stamina 2 with one shot? Even though a Mega-Might nova gets 8 or so free enhancements he can only deal damage up to twice?
                              Any trivial character will be taken out by one shot, that’s the rule.

About Mega Might, it raises the scale by 1 per dot. For each scale the attached has above the target, the attacker can deal one additional injury condition, so a Mega Might 8 can cause 10 injuries to a target (1 + critical + 8 from scale)

Comment

Working...
                              X