TC: Aberrant Kickstarter

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TC: Aberrant Kickstarter

Holding topic for the Kickstarter itself. For now - How would advertise Aberrant to other gamers? I run polish Storypath FB group, but do not know about setting. Only it's twist on normal superhero genere and heroes are like celebrities in it it. Any points to raise in advertisement for fandom?

My stuff for Scion 2E, CoD Contagion, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E & BtP
    LGBT+ in CoD games

This part of the celebrities is one that really get the attention of people, but Aberrant is more about what people would do if they had the power of a god (that’s the slogan...), they can be super strong, be invisible, be super fast, bullet proof, and control the elements, but they can also be super the ultimate baseline guy (all dots in all skills and all attributes and all edges (formerly backgrounds) with not a single supernatural ability), or be a super social capable of mind control by skill and not power, the appearance capable of making people kill for just by looking at you (literally).

It’s not about superheroes, it’s about a world full of regular people capable of more than the laws of physics allow.

Comment

Aberrant's emphasis is on superhumans, and their interaction with the wider human societies beyond them. It's as much 'what would you do with the power of a god' as 'what would humans do if people with the power of gods showed up'.

In that, it taps into a particular strain of supers fic, which has become more prominent after the original edition's release, that tries to ask "how would people actually react to having superhumans in their midst?".

Its starting point is ten years after the first superhumans (novas) appear, so the initial shock of their appearance has passed, and we get to see some of the ways the world has adapted to them.

Novas can include superheroes, but it's not limited to them - it can include celebrities, mercenaries, criminals, people who emphasise the 'super' over the 'human', seeing themselves as something apart from humankind, people like Antaeus in the webcomic, who've come to value other priorities than humanity... anyone can become a nova, with their own view of the world.

Aberrant is one of the very few RPGs in its genre, most supers RPGs looking to emulate superhero comics - off the top of my head, there's Godlike, and Wild Talents and its spinoffs.

Scion 2E: What We Know - A wiki compiling info on second edition Scion.

Comment

KS and the first preview are up!

Raksha are my fae-vorite.

Reincarnation of magnificentmomo.

Comment

Aberrant Kickstarter link is here - for anyone looking for it!

LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Immediate notice is that the timeline is obviously a bit different. The murder of Slider never happened and is instead the murder of some baseline person.

Also noticed is the fact the construction of an orbital station and the colonization of Mars, though both lack a section in the geography part at this point.

Looking forward to seeing how things develop as further updates happen.

I also notice that nothing really is mentioned about US politics, minus the fact that its declared as a Democratic wave in the 2020 elections. While Ican see why they did that I really don't see that happening that way if superpowered beings appeared.

Really glad to see the Daedalus League and the Queer Alliance both being brought over and given direct timeline mention. I wish that the section on Divis Mal mentioned his partner, as that was a nice mention before.

Oh, as a random question - did I miss the timeline moment when the Galatea station was built? Obviously it had to be one of the changes in the Aeon timeline as we don't have such a station.
            Last edited by LordHeru; 07-02-2019, 04:10 PM.

Comment

Pledged, it’s great so far!

I like the new timeline, the Aberrants are not the reclusive investigators as before, they are the Bad Guys now (with capital letters), what’s really nice...

Comment

I'm hoping for an appendix with rules for playing Novas in other time periods. One or two good pages no illustrations would do. And define the Node-Brain Merit for both the main setting and the Aeon setting.

Comment

I'm pondering the marketing to non-Trinity/Aberrant players. I'm planning on blogging about the KS, like I did for Trinity. I agree about the importance of the societal emphasis between Novas and Baselines being an important difference to many other 'Supers' settings. Years ago I pitched the game to different players with comments like:
                  --> "Imagine the X-Men, but then blur the clear answers away."
                  --> “Characters that die are dead!” After the Death of Superman the comics world and character death = gah!
                  --> “Your career is likely Mega, but it doesn’t have to be. You are likely asked (harassed) to sponsor all sorts and got offered big pay deals”
                  --> "Having power is great, you've had it for a while, now what? What world would you build and who would you worry about?"
                  My long-term campaign took a Fatalistically Optimistic tone, the PCs tried to prevent fighting, focusing on psychology and MR research, which eventually led to a Nova Nation, but then things got really complicated

Fireman’s dead! (But is he really?!) MR Node gone. The Aberrants being outright Bad Guys was a bit of a shock. I'm glad things are a bit different, since I already have the old setting
                  I'm really looking forward to seeing how this campaign goes, as well as how the new TC:Aberrant develops.

Comment

As a general rule, after reading the first part of the manuscript, my reaction is “Yeah!”

I like the Aberrant as the name that became the bad guys on Aeon...
                    I like the fact that Divis Mal has arms... (hahahahaha)
                    I like the changes in Teragen as a loose group of novas with no directions or factions, than Aberrant came together after some laws against them...
                    I like the São Paulo Explosion being a big question but not the center of the metaplot.
                    I like the space exploration groups that can lead directly to aeon a century latter...

Let’s see the rules in the next few weeks so we can test it!

Comment

With the "Aberrants" name taken by Geryon and his ilk, I wonder what happened to people like Andre Corbin and Sophia Rousseau... 🤔

Ian A. A. Watson
                      Onyx Path Community Manager

Comment

Originally posted by IanWatson View Post
                        With the "Aberrants" name taken by Geryon and his ilk, I wonder what happened to people like Andre Corbin and Sophia Rousseau... 🤔
                        Does their faction exist anymore without the sterilization conspiracy?

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

Originally posted by IanWatson View Post
                          Main autor does not know he's setting? 😎

( Total newby on Trinity) Queer Alliance is what I think? LGBT+ Novas faction? 😮

LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Originally posted by Batjutsu View Post
                            The Aberrants being outright Bad Guys was a bit of a shock. I'm glad things are a bit different, since I already have the old setting .
                            Did not read preview yet - but Aberrants seems to be cructial to the setting. How Aberrants are Bad Guys now? Are they not finał stage of Novas, after whole Taint from using Quantum powers?
                            Last edited by wyrdhamster; 07-03-2019, 02:33 AM. Reason: Edit

LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Originally posted by wyrdhamster View Post

Did not read preview yet - but Aberrants seems to be cructial to the setting. How Aberrants are Bad Guys now? Are they not finał stage of Novas, after whole Taint from using Quantum powers?
                              Well... no. Thanks to the Aberrant War, the term used for novas in Aeon is Aberrants, and it's not helped by the fact the ones who've appeared in the 22nd century appear much less human, physically or mentally, than the ones who left after the War.

First edition Aberrant had 'Aberrant' originally used as a negative term for novas, then taken by a nova group investigating some of the conspiracies of the setting.

TC: Aberrant also has 'Aberrant' begin as a negative term for novas, but this time it's taken by a violent Teragen faction (the Teragen being a philosophy that holds novas are a separate species from baseline humans, and not subject to human laws or mores).

Scion 2E: What We Know - A wiki compiling info on second edition Scion.

Comment

Working...
                              X