TC: Aberrant Kickstarter

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Florin View Post
    I guess I'm one of the people who thinks the tragic decline into inhumanity was one of the better parts of Aberrant. I never liked that Terats could basically accrue an infinite amount of Taint. The new system for Chrysalis is better in, my estimation because there is no way to erase Transcendence. Sure, you can manipulate your Transformations, and avoid some Flux by buying powers through it, but that's it. I also thought it was way too hard to get Taint in the first edition. I can't think of a single character I played who even got one point of permanent Taint from play.
    True, agree about the new Chrysalis being a good way to make Terats not imune to Transcendence. The problem her is the speed you go down.

In the first edition we planed our characters to deal with our powers, and as most of the mega attributes worked with no quantum expenditure, it was quite easy to keep working with no worries about the quantum pool and recovery. My character that got T5 was basically power focused and had to recover quantum pool faster than usual to stay useful. I think he had even high node and that quantum recovery power, not sure, but it was quite common to get close to gain taint every story.

Using the option where mega attributes consume quantum, the need for quantum increase for everyone, and the chance of gaining taint increases too. Imaging every mega punch used consuming 1 quantum, after a combat you would need to wait for a few hours to refill or a few minutes for fast recovery, and a chance to get taint.

Another point is Maxing Out in 1e consumed Willpower and didn’t give automatic taint, so you would not go full power (what Maxing Out means) all the time as you had better situations to spend willpower, like doing things the character don’t like too, and even when you used, you would not gain taint, only if botches.
    Last edited by Mateus Luz; 07-11-2019, 11:46 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jetstream View Post

Except it’s not true. Not all novas in Aeon are Aberrants.

But how many who erupted in the Aberrant time aren't? My understanding was Eden was populated by novas born after the time of the Aberrant setting.

Comment

But how many who erupted in the Aberrant time aren't? My understanding was Eden was populated by novas born after the time of the Aberrant setting.

Apollo, the main nova we meet from Eden, was born early 2000s and Erupted during the Nova Age, per previous edition. Which means he managed to remain mostly Taint (since he is 1E Nova) free for over a century. We don't know about other novas of Eden but I doubt he is the only one. Additionally, there are the novas who hid on Earth after the Aberrant War who also didn't get corrupted.

Oh and lets not forget that Divis Mal, for all his power, did not become an inhuman monster willing to let the world burn.

While the worry of what happens when you abuse your power makes perfect sense I can't see how having a core setting element that all novas fall actually helps move the story along.

As well I would not use what we see in Aeon as a core fundamental of the Aberrant game, because while both games are set in the same broad cosmology they are also quite different in theme and purpose.

---

Oh, Mateus Luz, the funny thing is I actually like the idea that Botching a power roll gives the user temporary Flux. I think the idea that utter failure in the attempt to use quantum power causes some sort of negative feedback is a cool one. As long, that is, said temporary Flux fades somewhat rapidly.

I am a fan of a nova being able to learn how to channel his abilities into being able to function better - which would have the effect of reducing his permanent Flux rating. To me the idea of Chryalis is that the nova is becoming more in tune with the flows of quantum energy, which means he finds it easier to handle and such. Which means a reduction in Flux.
        Last edited by LordHeru; 07-11-2019, 12:08 PM.

Comment

• I’m thinking of different dials (not the sterilization plot!) to bring up the shadows a bit in the setting.

Does it stand to reason to other people that hyperfusion would have resulted in economic collapses in those countries and regions economically based on the fossil fuel industry - this leading to anti-Nova politics in those places (Church of Michael Archangel surging in Appalachia, the Dakotas, Oklahoma, and east Texas for example)?

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

• Originally posted by glamourweaver View Post
            I’m thinking of different dials (not the sterilization plot!) to bring up the shadows a bit in the setting.

Does it stand to reason to other people that hyperfusion would have resulted in economic collapses in those countries and regions economically based on the fossil fuel industry - this leading to anti-Nova politics in those places (Church of Michael Archangel surging in Appalachia, the Dakotas, Oklahoma, and east Texas for example)?
            Make sense, in a similar way of what happened on countries that live utterly from it, like Middle Eastern (what was talked about in the book), probably on a lesser scale, but still bringing a lot of people against it.

Comment

• Originally posted by glamourweaver View Post
              I’m thinking of different dials (not the sterilization plot!) to bring up the shadows a bit in the setting.

When i read the blurb about hyperfusion I thought two things; the first was "finally, they're past that fictional barrier preventing fusion tech", the second was "well, that just sent the fossil fuels industry to the crematorium". As a result of the changing landscape of world economy there will suddenly be; millions of unemployed, rich nations that are suddenly bankrupt, trade agreements that dissolve instantly, and a tsunami of malcontent. I'd expect riots all over the place once the enormity of that kind of change finally set in. You'd think T2M would have to start their careers diffusing uprisings along those lines.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mateus Luz View Post
                The rules for Chrysalis in 1e were a kind of cheat code to power up faster than Goku, one year off and I came back to refit you with only my left leg.

About the Taint, as a non English native, I never knew it had the meaning it has... but instead of Transcendence it could be Corruption, as it was in 1e Taint in Aberrant and Trinity.

About the rules. It’s hard to predict anything without the power rules, maybe maxing out is really powerful or you hardly roll dice for activating powers, than It’s not a big deal...
                That's not a fair analysis of the Chrysalis rules as written. Yes, you could get discounts on everything, including Quantum. But it would take a good, long time to build up enough Chrysalis to actually enter one, and Terats had to pool XP before they entered Chrysalis to spend.

The net result was their power curve became a series of looooong plateaus. Yes, they could avoid the effects of Taint 10, but it wasn't a free ride.

Comment

• Originally posted by LordHeru View Post
                  Oh, Mateus Luz, the funny thing is I actually like the idea that Botching a power roll gives the user temporary Flux. I think the idea that utter failure in the attempt to use quantum power causes some sort of negative feedback is a cool one. As long, that is, said temporary Flux fades somewhat rapidly.
                  I understand the idea of the misfire that taint yourself, but I don’t think it is the point here. Imagine the Nova is rising a car with his hands, he roll Athletics + Might and add 6 Enhancements, if he fails it’s not because he overused quantum, it’s because he didn’t grab it properly or his arm was in a bad position. To over use quantum we are talking about overcharging, and that’s what I think is Maxing Out, the same guy needs Scale 4 but he can reach only 3, so he Max Out and reach 4, but his body is charged with bad Flux.

Same for shooting quantum blasts, he is not trying to emit the energy, that’s easy, the hard part is focus it on a blast and aim it, he fails not because he put too much quantum on the hand, he fails because it flows out with low control, to get a overuse of quantum he would need to try to throw more quantum than his hand can hold, so Maxing Out.

On the opposite direction we have something like magic, that can fail and misfire causing Warping, that’s not the setting but still the point is, the Magus is gathering magical power that is not part of himself or stored inside him, and trying to focus on a external effect, if botches, the magical energy will enter the Magus and warp him.

That’s the way I see the use of quantum and the tests necessary, I don’t know if that’s the way you see it.
                  Last edited by Mateus Luz; 07-11-2019, 01:16 PM.

Comment

• Totentanz, you are right, but it was far cheaper do it thru Chrysalis than on regular evolution, so the results were long plateaus followed by huge jumps on power creating a gap that increased every time the character entered Chrysalis.

Also it was over-complex, transforming everything in XP is FAR better as I see. Nova Points were great, but the only moment we used it was in the character creation.

Comment

• Originally posted by LordHeru View Post
                      I am a fan of a nova being able to learn how to channel his abilities into being able to function better - which would have the effect of reducing his permanent Flux rating. To me the idea of Chryalis is that the nova is becoming more in tune with the flows of quantum energy, which means he finds it easier to handle and such. Which means a reduction in Flux.
                      That’s not a bad idea, I would make a Nova with high Transcendence lose Flux faster than a lower Transcendence. Less control on the way you gather Flux or the amount needed to rise, but you can lose faster...

Let’s say, you bleed Flux every week a total of 1 + ½ Transcendence, so the higher Transcendence means you are less human and more quantum Flux entity. So a week of for a T9 would release 5 Flux, if he have Dormancy it would take a day dormant to loose 5 Flux.

Comment

Probably a lot. Most of the aberrants we see in Aeon are just one group put together by The Colony. The rest seem to have screwed off and not looked back.

Comment

• Mateus Luz I see a difference in the active use of Quantum abilities and the inactive use. I don't think I would require a nova who uses Mega-Strength to lift something, unless he maxes out or the equivalent, to worry about gaining Flux if he fails to lift up the car. But a nova who uses a quantum bolt and utterly fails in a spectacular way, yeah, him getting a point of Flux would be fine with me. That said I would need to see the actual power rules and the way things are for me to fully decide if that is how I want to go.

All I know is that in theory the idea that if you spectacularly fail (that is botch) in using an active quantum enhanced ability you can gain Flux doesn't entirely bother me.

--

I guess a part of my problems is I don't truly really like Dormancy. To me a novas powers are his powers and while he can actively not use them they aren't gone. When Superman is Clark Kent he isn't dormant, his powers are still there, he just isn't casting. Same with Tony Stark or Thor or even Bruce Banner, who I see as probably ahving access to certain Mega-Attributes in his Bruce Banner state.

On loosing Flux I totally like the idea that by not maxing out a power one can speed up flux, I just don't see the need to be something other than what one is.

Though I admit none of the novas I want to play are ever physically inhuman, so maybe that is part of my thought process on that.

---

In the podcast on the Polyhedron they mention something that I thought was fascinating. (They also mention something about Transcendence that had me negatively shaking my head, but still.) In it they talk about Divs Mal and how awesome he is, (cough, sorry not sorry), no but really they talk about how he released the Null Manifesto and then said to his novas do as thy will and then he realized he should have added "but not that, or that, or that". It makes his later getting involved all the more interesting. At a certain point even his patience is at an end and when it does he acts.

And that acting leads to all sorts of good (for his allies) and bad (for his enemies) things.

Comment

• Regarding dormancy. One word: SHAZAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by Jetstream View Post
                              Regarding dormancy. One word: SHAZAM!
                              Ah, right, yeah, that's true, he totally has Dormancy.

BUT, most others with secret identities don't. They pretend to be normal baseline humans but really they still have their powers and can use them at a moment's notice. They don't need to power up as it were.

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not saying Dormancy doesn't have a place in Aberrant, I'm just saying I don't think it is as common in the superhero world as it is made to seem like in the Aberrant world.

Comment

• The problem with dormancy in other settings is that most of the superheroes are not humans with powers, even X-Man don’t work as Aberrant. So it’s quite hard to say when it’s dormancy in other settings and when it’s not.

As a side note Hulk as I see is the best case of Dormancy, unfortunately it’s also the Hyde syndrome... so hard to point the access to the powers as Banner.

Comment

Working...
                                X