TC: Aberrant Kickstarter

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Darksol-aeternium View Post

When i read the blurb about hyperfusion I thought two things; the first was "finally, they're past that fictional barrier preventing fusion tech", the second was "well, that just sent the fossil fuels industry to the crematorium". As a result of the changing landscape of world economy there will suddenly be; millions of unemployed, rich nations that are suddenly bankrupt, trade agreements that dissolve instantly, and a tsunami of malcontent. I'd expect riots all over the place once the enormity of that kind of change finally set in. You'd think T2M would have to start their careers diffusing uprisings along those lines.

I think the flipside of those economies drying up is that now their is cheap and plentiful energy, so the need for a lot of that revenue generation goes away. It doesn't make the malcontent go away, but it softens the blow, and then there are ripple effects from there.

There are then also new boom economies, like laying Eufiber lines and setting up that network that wouldn't necessarily require a huge change in skills.

I'd be really interested to see Freakonomics or something cover such a hypothetical situation.

Raksha are my fae-vorite.

Reincarnation of magnificentmomo.

Comment

• Originally posted by MoroseMorgan View Post

I think the flipside of those economies drying up is that now their is cheap and plentiful energy, so the need for a lot of that revenue generation goes away. It doesn't make the malcontent go away, but it softens the blow, and then there are ripple effects from there.

There are then also new boom economies, like laying Eufiber lines and setting up that network that wouldn't necessarily require a huge change in skills.

I'd be really interested to see Freakonomics or something cover such a hypothetical situation.
      That’s the case with current economic displacement though, and it’s hardly satisfying consolution to the public that is hit. Automation and international trade means more goods much cheaper - great for consumers, but sucks if you lose your old economy job even though the goods are cheaper for you too. The new economy jobs generally require skill sets the people who lost their jobs don’t possess.

Point is this seems like a potential setting factor worth exploring in terms of current political relevance (especially if people in said demo are radicalized right-ward).

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

• I think that besides technological development based on Nova projects Project Utopia should also have thought of economic systems and such to help relieve the issues that come from economic development. I'm pretty sure a set of Mega-Intelligent Novas could probably come up with a transition system that allows for those people who loose their jobs based on old technologies some sort of economic relief.

In the US the idea of implementing nova-designed programs become all the more believable when one considers the setting has a Democratic Party wave in the 2020 elections.

Comment

• Originally posted by LordHeru View Post
          I think that besides technological development based on Nova projects Project Utopia should also have thought of economic systems and such to help relieve the issues that come from economic development. I'm pretty sure a set of Mega-Intelligent Novas could probably come up with a transition system that allows for those people who loose their jobs based on old technologies some sort of economic relief.

In the US the idea of implementing nova-designed programs become all the more believable when one considers the setting has a Democratic Party wave in the 2020 elections.
          The fact that that’s happened in Russia though is noteworthy. I don’t think the US has been so reformed (yet) - the Harris Administration* is specifically trying to walk a tightrope on Nova issues.

*it’s canonically a moderate, which makes her the most likely fit; if the book characterized it as a progressive Democratic Administration, I’d have said Warren

Comment

• Originally posted by glamourweaver View Post

The fact that that’s happened in Russia though is noteworthy. I don’t think the US has been so reformed (yet) - the Harris Administration* is specifically trying to walk a tightrope on Nova issues.

*it’s canonically a moderate, which makes her the most likely fit; if the book characterized it as a progressive Democratic Administration, I’d have said Warren
            I did think it was nifty that Russia had it, though I wish something similar happened in America. That the path towards the FSA wasn't already being set up and stuff.

Oh, did gender get mentioned on which Democrat won in Aberrant? I noticed democrat but I didn't see gender.

The whole trying to keep a balance seems a bit sad, but at the same time it totally makes sense from a politican's standpoint.

But yeah I wish that America was trying to adapt to all the potentials that Novas could bring forth.

Comment

• IanWatson

Real talk here. THANK YOU!!!! I am so glad that you guys love the Trinity Continuum as much as you do and thus brought it back.

There was never any doubt that I was going to support the core and Aeon kickstart, just like there was never a doubt that I was going to support Aberrant when it was made.

I complain because I care. Aberrant was a game that I remember connecting with, especially because of its prominent gay character. It called to me. It was also a game that I ran and played in multiple times, even more than others.

But I can also firmly at 110% truth that while the previous kickstarter started with me being worried by the end there was nothing, NOTHING, that had me throwing things at the screen asking Why, or Why!!

You all did good, real good.

Its been the same with Aberrant as it was with the other kickstarter. Though there are some things I go "why?" the majority is like "Yep, love it." I love over 90% of things, no even more than 90.

You have done a good job. You and all the others.

But here's the thing Ian, you aren't just a person that was brought in. You know the game. Your semi-official (and only that because it wasn't officially published) Trinity Storyteller's Guide is AWESOME. As are the other expansions that were never made, sadly.

I want you to know that. That I comment and critisize some things not out of anger but out of love, a love of a game and its design and all. Of a wish to make sure this new edition is just as awesome - no, even better - than the first one.

The thing is Trinity, Aberrant, it all, is in good, no great, hands.

I want you to know that!

Comment

• Thank you, LordHeru. Writers, developers, artists and everyone else involved in these projects throw their hearts into them. We can’t please everyone all the time, and we’re aware that unhappy voices make the most noise on the internet. But it truly helps when we see people trying out what we’ve put down before declaring dislike, and where they do like something, declaring that like and letting us know it hit the mark. It’s very much appreciated. So thank you again. 🙂

Writer. Developer. World of Darkness | Chronicles of Darkness | The Trinity Continuum

Comment

Oh, did gender get mentioned on which Democrat won in Aberrant? I noticed democrat but I didn't see gender.
                  It didn’t. That’s not why I said Harris and Warren, they’re just the best moderate and progressive candidates that have a real shot respectively, and since the book said centrist, I assumed Harris.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bunyip View Post
                    Thank you, LordHeru. Writers, developers, artists and everyone else involved in these projects throw their hearts into them. We can’t please everyone all the time, and we’re aware that unhappy voices make the most noise on the internet. But it truly helps when we see people trying out what we’ve put down before declaring dislike, and where they do like something, declaring that like and letting us know it hit the mark. It’s very much appreciated. So thank you again. 🙂
                    Definitely looking forward to trying it out, just can’t do that yet without the powers!

Comment

It didn’t. That’s not why I said Harris and Warren, they’re just the best moderate and progressive candidates that have a real shot respectively, and since the book said centrist, I assumed Harris.
                      Ah, gotcha. That makes sense.

In some ways its interesting that a moderate won, I can see it of course, but its still interesting. Especially since by the election two years have passed since N-Day.

Actually, it makes me wonder if any of the politicians running erupted. Either then or later on. Imagine a politician erupting after being elected. That would be interesting.

Comment

Ah, gotcha. That makes sense.

In some ways its interesting that a moderate won, I can see it of course, but its still interesting. Especially since by the election two years have passed since N-Day.

Actually, it makes me wonder if any of the politicians running erupted. Either then or later on. Imagine a politician erupting after being elected. That would be interesting.
                        As in 1e, i’d keep the first Nova candidate in the setting “now’s“ Presidential Campaign.

Actually... might be interesting if it’s a mega-Social Republican Nova industrialist putting out the ultimate bootstrapping image, and pulling his party away from the xenophobes and social conservatives, so you the Church of Michael Archangel backed splinter Far Right party.

Meanwhile Democrats try to stay the course with cautious Utopia-friendly economic centrism, praying that despite coming off a second term and unable to run on change accordingly, the right will be divided between the other two candidates enough to hand them the election by default.
                        Last edited by glamourweaver; 07-11-2019, 11:27 PM.

Comment

• I love OPP because of this.

We are here discussing the game we love, and all things we love we know the defects, that’s why we can say we love it.

Guys like Ian and Bunyip are her everyday seeing us talk bad about their work. Where can we find a company with the importance OPP have in the industry, with some of the greatest names working for, and still we have them here reading all the things we write.

Anyway, my relationship with Aberrant is different form LordHeru, I was playing RPG for at least 10 years when find out about Aberrant, reading comic books for more than that, had been thru the first few years of Ultimate Marvel and the deconstruction of the traditional superheroes. When I saw Aberrant it was not new, neither innovative, yet I was mesmerised by the entire plot, from Adventure to Trinity, with all the possibilities and genres in one single game line.

Trinity universe is the setting I loved for the last 15 years, and I never thought that would be replace so easily as it was by TC. This love may be new (my computer have OPP Forum and Aberrant KS tabs opened straight for 2 weeks now, that’s the kind of thing people in love do...), but it’s an old love that was renewed by you guys.

Thanks a lot! I love your works!
                          Last edited by Mateus Luz; 07-11-2019, 11:40 PM.

Comment

As in 1e, i’d keep the first Nova candidate in the setting “now’s“ Presidential Campaign.

Actually... might be interesting if it’s a mega-Social Republican Nova industrialist putting out the ultimate bootstrapping image, and pulling his party away from the xenophobes and social conservatives, so you the Church of Michael Archangel backed splinter Far Right party.

Meanwhile Democrats try to stay the course with cautious Utopia-friendly economic centrism, praying that despite coming off a second term and unable to run on change accordingly, the right will be divided between the other two candidates enough to hand them the election by default.
                            I really like the idea of a Mega-Social Nova who is a Republican industrialist working to push his party in a different direction, but still similar message, from the xenophobic and social conservative group. What a very interesting idea. Very interesting.

A nova who is against the Church of Michael Archangel backed group.

That's kind of brilliant.

But I also like the idea of the Democratic party also being split by various nova sponsored groups. Thus also creating some sort of internal complex.

Nod. Nod. I gotta tell you there being a Republican nova industrialist really intrigues me, really does. And this is from a guy who, well, lets just say isn't a fan of their current policies.

The thing is I really want a nova corporate leader, a Tony Stark slash Bruce Wayne slash Lex Luthor sort of character.

Comment

Definitely looking forward to trying it out, just can’t do that yet without the powers!
                              I hope that list of powers is as comprehensive as they can make it. Throw in everything so we can truly stress-test this system. The missing stretch power, that bizarre information manipulation power, a finished momentum control, the obscure extradimensional quasi-obtenebration power like 3 sample characters had, everything.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mateus Luz View Post
                                The problem with dormancy in other settings is that most of the superheroes are not humans with powers, even X-Man don’t work as Aberrant. So it’s quite hard to say when it’s dormancy in other settings and when it’s not.

As a side note Hulk as I see is the best case of Dormancy, unfortunately it’s also the Hyde syndrome... so hard to point the access to the powers as Banner.
                                I think a lot of superheroes have a few points in Dormancy, in Aberrant terms.

In Edngame, Captain Marvel doesn't glow, or have the Super Saiyan hair when she's not using her power and Thor doesn't crackle with lightning, or have his eyes go white. But when they step up to combat, they stop holding their powers down and they become noticeably super. They have, in Aberrant terms, an anima banner and aberrant eyes that get suppressed with Dormancy.

What most heroes don't have is Dormancy 4 or 5. In the MCU, that's Bruce Banner and in DC it's Shazam.

Comment

Working...
                                X