Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TC: Aberrant Kickstarter

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by Tarion View Post
    I think a lot of superheroes have a few points in Dormancy, in Aberrant terms.

    In Edngame, Captain Marvel doesn't glow, or have the Super Saiyan hair when she's not using her power and Thor doesn't crackle with lightning, or have his eyes go white. But when they step up to combat, they stop holding their powers down and they become noticeably super. They have, in Aberrant terms, an anima banner and aberrant eyes that get suppressed with Dormancy.

    What most heroes don't have is Dormancy 4 or 5. In the MCU, that's Bruce Banner and in DC it's Shazam.
    About Captain Marvel and Thor, I think it’s more about maxing out than dormant. They are still superhumanly strong, they still can use their powers, they are just not on their Max.
    Possibly they are using a halfway dormancy, power down but not all the way to baseline, not sure if that’s possible, in my games we had this option.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Mateus Luz View Post

      About Captain Marvel and Thor, I think it’s more about maxing out than dormant. They are still superhumanly strong, they still can use their powers, they are just not on their Max.
      Possibly they are using a halfway dormancy, power down but not all the way to baseline, not sure if that’s possible, in my games we had this option.
      They definitely have a higher baseline than well, Baselines. But they're also, in Aberrant terms, suppressing Transformations and the only way we've seen to do that (So far) is Dormancy.

      I was actually thinking about this in response to a post elsewhere, and in retrospect, they're more likely running around at half their power ratings so that they can bleed off Flux. Doesn't quite fit with their Transformations being suppressed (Unless they respond to Quantum used, I guess?) but it's close enough .

      Comment


      • Thank you for your kind words, everyone.


        Ian A. A. Watson
        Onyx Path Community Manager
        Trinity Continuum Content Lead

        Comment


        • What's the stretch goal for Raoul Duke?

          Comment


          • Originally posted by Tarion View Post
            They definitely have a higher baseline than well, Baselines. But they're also, in Aberrant terms, suppressing Transformations and the only way we've seen to do that (So far) is Dormancy.

            I was actually thinking about this in response to a post elsewhere, and in retrospect, they're more likely running around at half their power ratings so that they can bleed off Flux. Doesn't quite fit with their Transformations being suppressed (Unless they respond to Quantum used, I guess?) but it's close enough .
            Our house rule was basically you can use dormancy to reduce your taint and quantum by up to your Dormancy rating. Let’s say you have Q4, T5 and Dormancy 3, you could reduce your quantum to 1, 2 or 3 reducing your taint to 2, 3 or 4. For as long your quantum and taint and lowered you lose access to powers that required higher quantum and have a reduced quantum pool, but also are free from the taint aspects and are you resonate as a low quantum Nova (for quantum detectors).
            Dormancy 4 and 5 allow the Nova to cut both quantum and taint to 0 (no matter how high it was), and 5 would change your body to the point you didn’t even show a M-R node on scans.
            That’s probably what I will use on TC: Aberrant, let’s see...

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Mateus Luz View Post

              About Captain Marvel and Thor, I think it’s more about maxing out than dormant. They are still superhumanly strong, they still can use their powers, they are just not on their Max.
              Possibly they are using a halfway dormancy, power down but not all the way to baseline, not sure if that’s possible, in my games we had this option.
              Thor has Dormancy in the not MCU, Donald Blake era comics. Where dormed down he had to spend a moment activating his Thor powers.


              Writer. Developer. World of Darkness | Chronicles of Darkness | The Trinity Continuum

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Bunyip View Post

                Thor has Dormancy in the not MCU, Donald Blake era comics. Where dormed down he had to spend a moment activating his Thor powers.
                Indeed, Dr. Blake could actually be prevented from turning into Thor (like Shazam). A little off-topic, but that reinforces how dormant it was.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by Bunyip View Post

                  Thor has Dormancy in the not MCU, Donald Blake era comics. Where dormed down he had to spend a moment activating his Thor powers.
                  True. But he also needed his umbrella to do so, as his power came from the transformed Mjolnir.

                  My favourite Thor was the ultimate, the entire first Ultimates story arc was fantastic, but the characters were by far the best part (Cap kicking Banners face after he transform back after destroying a good part of NY). Ok, nothing to do with Aberrant, but still good memories...

                  Comment


                  • I wanted to echo the positive statements made about this edition of the game. I was concerned initially about the tone of the game changing. The tone of the first podcast put me off, because I felt an indictment (“dark bullshit”) was being made against the original. Yet, I’ve come to see, especially with the example of today’s update, that the changes have only been additive. I imagine it’s very hard to hear someone question your decisions when you can only show them your reasons in very small chunks, once a week.

                    Thank you for persevering. You’ve made a believer out of me.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Darksol-aeternium View Post

                      I hope that list of powers is as comprehensive as they can make it. Throw in everything so we can truly stress-test this system. The missing stretch power, that bizarre information manipulation power, a finished momentum control, the obscure extradimensional quasi-obtenebration power like 3 sample characters had, everything.
                      The powers are gonna have to look different in any case. No levels, every dot is 12 XP. That means that Quantum is the only power barrier, and bioluminescence can’t really exist like it did :P 12 XP for biolum 5 would still be too much

                      Prediction: Claws will be a Mega-Edge, not a distinct Quantum Power.

                      Comment


                      • I'm liking the optional rules mentioned in today's post, although I'd still be fond of a way to actually mitigate Transcendence, and not just slow it down since you're still going to get it from raising Quantum, no matter what. But these are presumably just summaries...

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by Jetstream View Post

                          The powers are gonna have to look different in any case. No levels, every dot is 12 XP. That means that Quantum is the only power barrier, and bioluminescence can’t really exist like it did :P 12 XP for biolum 5 would still be too much

                          Prediction: Claws will be a Mega-Edge, not a distinct Quantum Power.
                          I think powers will be really basic, than you add Tags to it, like extras and techniques from the level 3 powers.

                          Comment


                          • The update today was interesting, especially in that it shows the writers (go you!!) know and understand that people want different things and that there is room in Aberrant for those things, maybe not in a single game but in the overall system.

                            So that's cool.

                            I like the mix of the two systems, the one about connections and the one about a focus, and I could see using something like them with some changes in my sort of game.

                            For example, a major change I would make, is remove the whole need to lie about being a nova in the contact one. I don't like the idea that a Nova can't say he is a nova, so yep, that's out.

                            Speaking of which, as we talked about it above, I still am not feeling that the Dormancy rules fit the way that the setting works. But honestly this isn't a 2e thing, more a Aberrant thing as a whole. Because Aberrant is about novas erupting and then taking jobs where their nova natures are known. But then we have rules that basically make it seem that most novas go about their lives with their powers hidden in a faded away sort of thing. Which doesn't seem to happen. So a disconnect.

                            --

                            I hope stuff like biolumenescence and other such physical abilities have a place in new Aberrant. I loved such little things like that. They really allowed for my nova character to reach his optimal state.

                            Comment


                            • I don’t think the point is being baseline, or hiding that you are a Nova. I think the point is interacting with people without use of power or without forcing them to be inferior to you, basically treat as equal.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Mateus Luz View Post
                                I don’t think the point is being baseline, or hiding that you are a Nova. I think the point is interacting with people without use of power or without forcing them to be inferior to you, basically treat as equal.
                                If you’re talking about the optional rule in the new update, the requirement that you gaslight them means it fails at that goal.

                                If the point is valuing baseline relationships, than that is what the system should do. No “don’t use your powers” or “pretend to be baseline” requirements. Just actively put the emphasis on the relationships themselves.


                                The problem is it’s trying to capture Clark Kent and Peter Parker’s daily lives as well, when the fact that Aberrant is as different a setting form those SPECIFIC* comics as it is is lost in the process.

                                * i’m not trying to do a “not a superhero setting” thing ala 1e, just that there are diverse arrays of superhero genres and tropes, and Aberrant does some distinct ones.

                                It works as an optional rule for a 4 color setting, it doesn’t work as a patch for Aberrant core setting.
                                Last edited by glamourweaver; 07-12-2019, 01:06 PM.


                                Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X