TC: Aberrant Kickstarter

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by glamourweaver View Post

If you’re talking about the optional rule in the new update, the requirement that you gaslight them means it fails at that goal.

If the point is valuing baseline relationships, than that is what the system should do. No “don’t use your powers” or “pretend to be baseline” requirements. Just actively put the emphasis on the relationships themselves.
    Yes. Yes, this!

The character is a nova. Why should he have to pretend otherwise. No, let him be a nova. Let him use his powers. But also require him to actively attach himself to other people, with that being baselines.

This could most easily be directly - he has a loved one who is a baseline and who he cares for - but it also could be more broadly - he visits orphanages or has charity groups or attends fairs and other community prrojects where he is surrounded by people, listens to them, etc.

But him needing to not use his powers, not reveal his nova identity, yeah no.

That all said. These rules are for the Four-Color Superheroes genre. So in that sense secret identities and such are important. But saying that I hope something similar exists for other genres, but without the need to hide one's self.

---

A part of me, well all of me really lol, wishes that the "Why Have A Secret Identity?" sidebar was not present. The idea that dorming down, that not using your powers, that pretending to be someone your not is given such a prominent role, yeah, not a fan.

Same with the whole "Nova Trait Advancement" sidebar, that is totally getting ignored. Experience can be spent to buy or improve nova traits without needing to max them, and thus gain Flux.
    Last edited by LordHeru; 07-12-2019, 01:16 PM.

Comment

It works as an optional rule for a 4 color setting, it doesn’t work as a patch for Aberrant core setting.
      I read it as being precisely that: an optional rule for a 4 color setting. Presumably, the other tones will include their own optional rules for this sort of thing. It's possible that the idea here is that there isn't a “global patch”; just different patches for each possible tone.

Related to this, I would say that there's a decent chance that the Aberrant core setting doesn't assume any one tone: it walks a fine line of allowing for any of the three, and leaves it up to the Storyguide to decide which of the three will be featured in his games.

Comment

• On the “Nova Trait Advancement” sidebar, I'm wondering if it would make sense to include an exception: you still need to Max Out in order to advance a nova trait; but if you simultaneously spend the experience to advance it, you don't get the otherwise mandatory point of Flux.

I'm considering this as potential errata. What do you think?

Comment

• Originally posted by Dataweaver View Post
          I read it as being precisely that: an optional rule for a 4 color setting. Presumably, the other tones will include their own optional rules for this sort of thing. It's possible that the idea here is that there isn't a “global patch”; just different patches for each possible tone.

*points at the secret identity sidebar that is part of the default rules*. The issue applies to the default rules for dealing with Taint.

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

• Dataweaver Honestly, I think the basic idea of just removing that sidebar is the best. Characters gain experience and they can spend that experience on quantum traits without having to worry about Flux or using a power.

glamourweaver Yep. Totally. Such a disconnect I feel.

----

Ooh. So I just had an idea. Dr Henri Mazarin is a bit upset that his name won't be separated from Dr. Rashoud. Well when you look at what Dr Mazarin studies (which is nova biology and the nature of flux as it pertains to them) I think we could always create something like the Mazarin Process, which is basically a variant method of undergoing Chrysalis.

Hmm. Yeah, I like this. Gonna have to think on how to implement it or something like it.

Of course this begs the question did someone connected to the Teras philosophy provide Dr Mazarin some information or feedback.

Comment

• We had a big discussion since Tuesday, than suddenly they show the solutions they proposed months ago to the problems we saw. We had 3 days to think about it, they had months. Honestly, I will keep my criticism behind until we have all the book to read. They are several steps ahead of us...

Let’s talk about book ideas for our own projects...

Comment

• Originally posted by Mateus Luz View Post
                We had a big discussion since Tuesday, than suddenly they show the solutions they proposed months ago to the problems we saw. We had 3 days to think about it, they had months. Honestly, I will keep my criticism behind until we have all the book to read. They are several steps ahead of us...

Let’s talk about book ideas for our own projects...
                They have not in fact shown a solution to the problem being raised, no. I would be happy to playtest stuff before discussing it, but they haven’t provided the full text necessary to do that yet - so it’s either discuss it now or we all shut up and stop talking for the next few weeks, which I don’t think is what OPP wants.

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

They have not in fact shown a solution to the problem being raised, no. I would be happy to playtest stuff before discussing it, but they haven’t provided the full text necessary to do that yet - so it’s either discuss it now or we all shut up and stop talking for the next few weeks, which I don’t think is what OPP wants.

I'm with you on that. Today's update made some things more ambiguous and showed that they thought of some alternate ways to do things. But that's about it. An actual playtest will require the rules that drop next week, as right now we can't even make full characters. I think, but I'm not positive, that we'll be able to with next week's update.

Comment

AND

Originally posted by Bullshock
                    I'm with you on that. Today's update made some things more ambiguous and showed that they thought of some alternate ways to do things. But that's about it. An actual playtest will require the rules that drop next week, as right now we can't even make full characters. I think, but I'm not positive, that we'll be able to with next week's update.
                    Yep, I totally agree with this. We can only talk about that which we know, which at this time is a setting chapter and the basic character building chapter. Not powers. Not new rules. Not genre conversion materials.

That all said some of my concerns aren't based on future materials I don't get to see. Some of my issues are up front and center, and have been mentioned by me numerous times. (identity and XP flux cost sidebars mostly, but also Transcendence as a thought; but now also Quantum Instability, which I don't mind as a general idea but I am not sure about its implementation).

I do kind of wish that when they show us something like Scale or the Four Color section they give us a copy of the page in question, rather than what seems like a synopsis. I mean we are getting it within a week, so if they are preemptively showing us, can't they just show us.

---

That all said the fact that I have decided to create something called the Mazarin Process as a variant to Chrysalis that brings a smile to my face, now I just need to figure out the details. hehe

Comment

• I agree it’s not fully solved, but we are speculating on something that is partially (at best) known.

But as you said, we cant play test without the rules from next week. Probably, next week will be the last restriction on character creation. But we will be limited by the lack of Q-Tech and Novatech info from the Technology chapter, so no Ironman / Gadgeter / Tinkerer yet.

Anyway, it’s impossible to not came back here on every break I take on the work. So I will be here to give my opinion and ideas even against my own will...

Comment

so it’s either discuss it now or we all shut up and stop talking for the next few weeks, which I don’t think is what OPP wants.
                        Discussion, sure.

Arguing around and around in circles for days? Not so much.

There's a ton of material that was dropped on Tuesday, and yet, all anyone has really talked about is their feelings on Transcendence and Quantum Flux. Cool, we get it, not everyone's thrilled with what they're seeing.

Continuing to argue about it at this point isn't resolving anything. People either need to dial their "discussion" methods way back, or change topics, please.

Ian A. A. Watson
                        Onyx Path Community Manager

Comment

• So what's with the whole Michael Mercer, Maxwell's alleged son thing. Are we supposed to think that there is some sort of conspiracy or secret there? I don't entirely understand. Also, did he name his son after his best friend Donigal, cause that is awesome.

Though a part of me thinks it would be cool that Michael Donigal doesn't actually totally disappear, sometimes he visits Maxwell and his son and granddaughter over the years.

I also like the fact that the Margaret is a Psiad, that's a very nifty thing. It also showcases that the superior genes are inheretable but that one doesn't automatically need to be the same as t heir parent or grandparent is.

It also makes me think that maybe Michael Mercer was an Inspired as well, though I have an image of him being at Adventure! level rather than Nova/Psiad level.

-----

Soo in Project Utopia there is the Research Oversight division. I'm curious as to what sorts of technologies would be banned, which would be questioned but probably okayed, and which would be fine. Like are we talking weapons tech as banned or are we talking that they are even restricted things that effected the political life of nations even if they are safe.

Also, technically, the UN has no authority to force nations to follow its laws. So if a country is like "nope" then legally speaking its hard to stop them. Sooo if something like a megacorp in a major country is like "we got this!" there might be something that can be done to stop Utopia.

I ask because this reminds me of the scene in Iron Man 2 when the US Congress is like "Tony Stark gives us your tech" and he is all like "FU!" - That's the sort of nova industrialist I would want to play.

----

Oooh just focused my mind on Social Development section of Project Utopia. Hmm. That could be an interesting and under-appreciated section to work in. Imagine a Mega-Intelligent Nova that comes up with a set of social philosophies that would create a stable and efficient and free society. Now others - a mix of novas and talents - have to follow the plan laid out by said nova in order to establish said society in the country or region or city of choice. That could be an interesting game.

Now imagine if some of those novas involved - or even the theory creator himself - actually followed the tenets of Teras but did so hiddenly. hmm. Sounds interesting to me.

PS. Really kind of need the ability to create Novatech that is of a philosophy and such rather than actual technology.

--

Also related to the Environmental section, wasn't there a project in 1E that brought lakes and forests to the region of middle America. I could have sworn there was, though it might have been something else I read.
                          Last edited by LordHeru; 07-12-2019, 05:28 PM.

Comment

• The Michael Mercer thing was supposed to be a conspiracy that never happened as there was no support for aberrant back there. I like to think about Michael as the soon Max had on a time travel to the past, and actually he had it on an older age than when Michael shows up. That’s why nobody knew about him, but Max knew, he met him in the future and know that he would be his father on a older age.

Anyway, Margaret as a Psiad, one of the most awesome ideas I saw, and it’s sad she will not be in the Prometheus Compendium.

I dont think the gene is for Superhuman, I think it’s for one of the 3 kinds of Superhuman, but Meggie has a psiad mother, or at least an strong latent mother, or maybe Michael was a psiad too and son of a psiad mother and Max from the future.

Comment

• Originally posted by LordHeru View Post
                              So what's with the whole Michael Mercer, Maxwell's alleged son thing. Are we supposed to think that there is some sort of conspiracy or secret there? I don't entirely understand. Also, did he name his son after his best friend Donigal, cause that is awesome.
                              In Adventure! 1e, Max -- who was known to be a master of disguise -- stepped away from the Aeon Society for a while. Then his son "Michael," who no one's heard of before, shows up out of nowhere to handle many of Max's affairs. There's an implication that Michael was actually just Max, perhaps covering up for the fact that Max didn't seem to be aging.

Aberrant d20 introduced Margaret Mercer as Max's granddaughter. It's never technically stated that Michael was her father, but in the absence of other familial data, it's a reasonable assumption.

So, if you subscribe to the belief that Michael Mercer was actually Max, then Margaret is in fact Max's daughter, not granddaughter.

How much of this we'll use in the new edition is still up in the air.

Ian A. A. Watson
                              Onyx Path Community Manager

Comment

• I always liked the idea that Michael was the son of Max Mercer and Sarah Gettel, but for whatever reason he just wasn't as exceptional as his parents. I like the idea that he was just a regular guy trying to live up to parents that were super-heroes.

Comment

Working...
                                X