TC: Aberrant Kickstarter

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by glamourweaver View Post
    Hmmm, only Michael vanishing and Max becoming a recluse kills my preferred image of that fight near the end of WW2: Michael was trying to hijack the first nuclear test to set off N-Day in 1945, he and Max had their all out smack down in the sands of TRINITY New Mexico, until the explosion leaves nothing behind.

Okay that is really cool. The idea that Michael wanted to establish an N-Day them but was forced to back down due to a fight with Max sounds brilliant.After said fight, Michael, reeling from the battle and the depression of his loss, slinks into the shadows to plan and such.

I do have to admit that him being a Nazi (or at least working with them, if not actually one of them) never really sat well with me. [That said, him working with them and then realizing what they and he did was not good could lead to why he is a much more hands off person in the Nova Age, minus you know kickstarting* the the whole thing.) So maybe I could have his backstory be that he played both sides against each other in his attempt to gather the exotic materials necessary to create a 1945 N-Day.

*Okay this just made me think of Michael using Kickstarter to get the resources needed to start N-Day. Everyone thought he was joking or it was a video game that sounded cool but the amount of funding got high enough he was able to bankroll his space station experiments that led to N-Day. hehe

Comment

Michael was not Nazi, he was not fighting for Germany and Max was not fighting for the Allies. I will talk about 1e, what I read and understand.

Dr Primoris was fighting for himself, he had plans that were not clarified probably related to the rise of superhumans on large scale at the cost of civilians or something like it. Aeon discover the plans and go after him, that’s the further it was discussed on this battle.

Michael turned into Dr Primoris, even his appearance was enough to take some time for some of Aeon recognise him as a former colleague. Also he was fighting alone (as no army or sidekick was mentioned) against the entire Aeon Society, and they didn’t finish him, they just make it impossible to follow his plan, so he left (he didn’t want to kill them as he was a big fan and friend of them). That made Max see that the future he visited before was fated to happen and made him reclusive, that future is Aberrant War and latter Trinity. Max was expecting a different future, and they had a lot of letters written for the period while Michael was alone in the latter 30s and beginning of 40s, discussing what kind of impact they would cause in the world following the paths that they were heading on...

TC is different, we may have a very different Michael as Divis is different too... so, he may be Nazi and the Aeon Society may be fighting for the allies... It’s your game...

Comment

So really it makes even more sense that Dr Primoris was using the events of the war, of the Allies and Axis, of the Nazi magic hunting, to gather resources and exotic goods in order to create something like N-Day. He's work was a bit underhanded, sometimes sinister, but never outright evil in the sense of him murdering millions. Still, despite the morally gray element there was enough dark things in his acts that Mercer was forced to stop him, leading to battle, Primoris' loss, the (temporary) end of his N-Day dreams, and him dissapearing once again for a few generations. When he did return, in the 2000s, he did so without the fanfare of his WWII era personality, which was perfect as it allowed him to push matters along so that nobody stopped him (or even realized what he was doing) in 2018, and the whole Galatea explosion leading to N-Day and the rise of the Nova Age.

Now, obviously, this is all fan made, but its a nifty bit of timeline. It keeps him on the morally gray side of the debate rather than the outright evil side, thankfully. It also explains why he dissapeared and took his time, he was smarting from his loss at the end of WWII. Maybe he also made a promise to Mercer, one he refused to break.

It also leads to an interesting idea - what would the world be like if the Nova Age occurred in the aftermath of WWII, just as (or right before, depending on the timeline one wants) the Nazi defeat. Said question is just as interesting as what would the world be like if Psions appeared in 2018 and Novas in the 2100s.

As a note as a huge fan of the character (and his arc) there is no way I am ever going to make Dr. Michael Daemon Donighal or Dr Primoris or Divis Mal or whatever further name he decides to call himself an bad guy.

Comment

Originally posted by LordHeru View Post
          As a note as a huge fan of the character (and his arc) there is no way I am ever going to make Dr. Michael Daemon Donighal or Dr Primoris or Divis Mal or whatever further name he decides to call himself an bad guy.
          Michael is a good guy... his Ego is as big as his powers or even bigger... but in the end he just want some friends to play with that can handle his games...

Comment

Originally posted by Darksol-aeternium View Post
            Well, the name probably sounded impressive to them before, whereas it sounds ironic now. I notice it seems to have been started up by the Karagians rather than Cyrus Katrak. I'm guessing those two were one of the 5 who got in quickly enough to add their characters as npcs?
            Aberrant 1e, page 13: January 1, 2007: Nova astronaut Janos Karagian walks across the lunar surface without artificial life support gear. Plans are made to send nova astronauts to Mars.

Aberrant: Project Utopia, page 52: January 1, 2007: Nova astronaut Janice Karagian walks across the lunar surface without artificial life support gear.

Originally it was almost certainly a typo between books: someone heard "Janos" (probably pronounced with a J and not as "yanos"), misheard it, and copied down the misheard name as Janice.

For TC:Aberrant, we decided they were twins and went to the moon together..

Ian A. A. Watson
            Onyx Path Community Manager

Comment

Originally posted by IanWatson View Post

Aberrant 1e, page 13: January 1, 2007: Nova astronaut Janos Karagian walks across the lunar surface without artificial life support gear. Plans are made to send nova astronauts to Mars.

Aberrant: Project Utopia, page 52: January 1, 2007: Nova astronaut Janice Karagian walks across the lunar surface without artificial life support gear.

Originally it was almost certainly a typo between books: someone heard "Janos" (probably pronounced with a J and not as "yanos"), misheard it, and copied down the misheard name as Janice.

The idea that basically a typo could lead to such an interesting and awesome change is really nifty. I like your solution, for instead of going "well it's obviously a typo so lets pick one" you went "well, there was a typo but you know what that is cool, so lets have them be twins." So cool.

I also like it as the work of the setting as being in a contiuum - in some worlds there is only one, though which one varies, but in another world, this world, there are two!

Comment

Originally posted by IanWatson View Post

Huh... I totally missed that typo somehow, in all the times I've read through that material it just never clicked.

Comment

The character creation chapter is out, and there are some neat things in it — though the bulk of the good stuff will have to wait until next week. That said, there's a bit in there for those of you who like Talents in TC:Aberrant — a new Gift that makes it a bit easier for the likes of Batman or Hawkeye to take on Superman or Captain Marvel: “The Bigger They Are…” This Luck-based Gift lets you reduce an opponent's Scale-based advantage over you, and lets you pierce the overwhelming nature of an advantage of three or more levels of Scale. David vs. Goliath.

There's also an Edge that allows characters (from the Directive, IIRC) to spend Momentum on a limited form of Dramatic Editing — namely, to always have exactly what gear you need exactly when you need it. It's available to anyone in the Directive, be they baselines, novas, psychomorphs, or Talents — though in the case of Talents, it's not so much there to provide a new capability as to provide a different means of paying for it.

Finally, there's mention of psiads — though the reader is referred to Æon Æxpansion for details. All that's said is that there are some around during this era, but they're generally conflated with novas, as few outside of the Æon Society are even aware of their existence. Oh, and Margaret Mercer is one.

Every KS recently had featured a Stretch-Goal “companion book”. This one hasn't gotten around to that (yet, I assume); but when (if?) it does, I'm hoping it addresses psiads in the Nova Age in a manner that doesn't require you to pick up TC:Æon in order to play one. Not that I'm opposed to doing so myself, as I already have TC:Æon and will be getting Æon Æxpansion when it comes out; but I don't feel right with forcing fans of Aberrant who aren't fans of Æon to buy a book (or two?) that's largely dedicated to an era they're not interested in just to get access to rules for psiads.

Comment

These references to "Teragen Elders" are making me hungry for a new Teragen supplement. Especially if they are aware of things like Psiads in the nova era (who honestly couldn't have escaped Apothecary's notice for long).

That crack under transcendence about long-time associates of Aeon, along with some of the text in the manuscript v.1 leads me to believe they've chosen a new direction for Sophia Rousseau. one that's more interesting and long-term.

Comment

I liked that the most recent manuscript update included blurbs about some of the Alligences from the TC Core and how they change with the Nova era. I hope we get a stretch goal that covers them in more detail, and also includes the ones they didn't cover, like Nine.

Comment

Originally posted by Slagheap View Post
                        I liked that the most recent manuscript update included blurbs about some of the Alligences from the TC Core and how they change with the Nova era. I hope we get a stretch goal that covers them in more detail, and also includes the ones they didn't cover, like Nine.

I totally agree. Also I really would like to see how the Global Cartography Society got updated for the Nova Age.

Oooh, maybe it turns its focus more inward - while the Daedalus Society works to explore outer space the GCS instead begins focusing on parallel and alternate worlds and such. I'm not sure how they would do it but it would totally be cool if they did.

Comment

Originally posted by Slagheap View Post
                          Nine actually became part of the Directive, so it’s covered, but it would be nice to see the others. My favourite is GCS, if I could I would be part of it...

Comment

For my part, I’m reading the Transcendence rules and... wondering. About the Fireman, and the São Paulo Blast, and what REALLY happened that day. Just because Utopia is cleaner in this edition doesn’t mean they don’t have ANY secrets.

Comment

Originally posted by DSPaul View Post
                              For my part, I’m reading the Transcendence rules and... wondering. About the Fireman, and the São Paulo Blast, and what REALLY happened that day. Just because Utopia is cleaner in this edition doesn’t mean they don’t have ANY secrets.
                              When it comes to that blast and the Fireman, I can't help but think he didn't die, maybe turned into fire or something. Maybe he learned something he wasn't supposed to know and so took a way out. Or something.

I just don't think he is dead. I really don't.

Comment

It’s a great “dirty secret” because it’s the kind of thing you might cover up for entirely benign reasons. “Randall was a good man! He was my friend! He deserves to be remembered as the hero he was, not the violently insane walking explosion he is now!” But when the public finds out that Proteus is keeping the world’s most beloved Nova locked away in a secret underground lab... oh man. (I don’t know if the designers will take things in this direction, but I’m definitely keeping it in mind for my campaign. If I ever get a chance to run one....)

Comment

Working...
                                X