No announcement yet.

TC: Aberrant Kickstarter

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

While the idea that Randall is being detained in order to protect him from himself is interesting, and quite a flip on things, didn't the event happen first and then he arrived. He wasn't there when it started, so he couldn't be the one to cause it. At least not blatently.

That said I do like the idea that the use of his powers to stop the blast was sooooooooo extreme it bumped him a bunch of levels in Transcendence to the point he became fire, his old body turned to dust, and he is now trying to slowly bring himself back into a more corporal form.

He becomes the voice in the flames, or something like that. hehe

----

A random idea came to me from reading posts on the internet. Imagine novas saying something like "If you plan on having anti-nova laws in your country then expect there to be no rain."

Even more novas attached to UN or Utopia or national forces could work to make sure their allied forces have good weather and the enemy doesn't, etc.

I think such things would create ripples of change that could make the world different in time.

---------

By the way, so one of the things I noticed that I am not really a fan of is that in order to purchase new powers and such with XP one must max powers. As I am not really a fan of Flux and such I will probably remove that requirement and just allow players to purchase new powers with XP as normal.
    Last edited by LordHeru; 07-09-2019, 05:45 PM.

Comment

I really agree regarding Flux. No way to mitigate Transcendence, the Teragen's Crysalis actively pushing for Terats to gain more Transcendence. The way it's described is basically Taint 2.0. Flux needing to be gained to increase powers (as you gain Flux from Maxing a power and you need to Max a power in order to increase it). All of that makes it feel... just awful.

So far it's the only thing I actually dislike. Some things I disagree with, but not enough to call it dislike.
      Last edited by Bulshock; 07-09-2019, 06:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bulshock View Post
        I really agree regarding Flux. No way to mitigate Transcendence, the Teragen's Crysalis actively pushing for Terats to gain more Transcendence. The way it's described is basically Taint 2.0.
        Well yeah. That’s what it is. They never said they were dropping the concept of taint, just the word because of puerile giggling.

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

I think the real problem is you need months to get free of flux. If you can cool down for a few days and reset your Flux you could work it out with dormancy and not overusing quantum.

That text about a secret identity is kind of stupid, secret identity that you use for 2 months is YOUR IDENTITY, and being a Nova is the thing you do once in a while.

Comment

Originally posted by Mateus Luz View Post
            I think the real problem is you need months to get free of flux. If you can cool down for a few days and reset your Flux you could work it out with dormancy and not overusing quantum.

That text about a secret identity is kind of stupid, secret identity that you use for 2 months is YOUR IDENTITY, and being a Nova is the thing you do once in a while.
            ... You do realize that "secret identity" refers to a super hero's civilian identity, their everyday, "real" self, right?

It's a secret because they're hiding the fact that, yeah, the go out and do superhero stuff periodically.

The blurb "Why have a secret identity," is saying "Why keep the fact that you're a nova a secret?"

Comment

Originally posted by Jetstream View Post

... You do realize that "secret identity" refers to a super hero's civilian identity, their everyday, "real" self, right?

It's a secret because they're hiding the fact that, yeah, the go out and do superhero stuff periodically.

The blurb "Why have a secret identity," is saying "Why keep the fact that you're a nova a secret?"
              You misunderstood what I mean, I mean exactly that, your secret identity is your baseline, but if you spends 99% of the time as a baseline your true identity is that.

Pax, working every day for 10 years, would be at Trancendence 10 by now because he will botch every once in a while, probably 1 a day? Max out once a week? In 2 weeks you got 1 trancendence. If you don’t relax for 5 months every 1 week of work, you are going to turn into a monster very fast. Do it for 10 years and...

Comment

Yeah, even if he only botches or maxes two to three times a week that is still half a month of down time per week of work or more. Or months at a time at only half power. It's an insane rate of gain. There should have been hundreds of novas who have reached Transcendence 10 by now, especially among T2M, the Teragen, and the Elites.

Comment

Originally posted by Mateus Luz View Post

You misunderstood what I mean, I mean exactly that, your secret identity is your baseline, but if you spends 99% of the time as a baseline your true identity is that.

Pax, working every day for 10 years, would be at Trancendence 10 by now because he will botch every once in a while, probably 1 a day? Max out once a week? In 2 weeks you got 1 trancendence. If you don’t relax for 5 months every 1 week of work, you are going to turn into a monster very fast. Do it for 10 years and...
                  Dude, that's how the term is used in the genre that this game is based on. Superman's secret identity is Clark Kent. Batman's secret identity is Bruce Wayne. Iron Man's secret identity used to be Tony Stark, but then he told everyone so he doesn't have one anymore.

That's what "secret identity" means. That the super's identity is a secret.

Comment

I just went to Aberrant 1e to check, because, as I remembered, the main reason to get taint was lack of quantum points. On 1e you had to botch the roll you used to Max out the power (and you had to spend will power to that, what limited you a lot). So most of the permanent taint my characters had came from buying powers on reduced rate, what is pretty controlled...

Comment

• Originally posted by Jetstream View Post

Dude, that's how the term is used in the genre that this game is based on. Superman's secret identity is Clark Kent. Batman's secret identity is Bruce Wayne. Iron Man's secret identity used to be Tony Stark, but then he told everyone so he doesn't have one anymore.

That's what "secret identity" means. That the super's identity is a secret.
                      Ok, not speaking English as main language is getting me wrong...
                      I know what you mean and I know what the secret identity is... what I mean is, if you are a Nova that don’t want to became a monster in a few months, you need to not be a Nova most of time, and by most of time I mean 99% of the time, so your secret identity is basically the only identity you have.

Batman works every night, Superman is always ready to leave his clothes behind and save the day, but a Nova will gets a transformation every 2 weeks of working everyday... so Superman is not Superman, he is Clack Kent everyday for 5 months and than he works for a week as Superman and stop again for 5 months more... being Superman is like the thing he does on the Halloween...

Comment

• I mean, not necessarily? You're overestimating the likelihood of botches and the volume of rolls they'd typically make, in my opinion.

Revlid wrote:
                        Yes, hollowing out your humanity to become an utterly utilitarian asura is the exact suggestion I would expect from you, Aiden.

Comment

• It's not just botches, Aiden. Any time you Max a power you automatically gain a Flux. If Maxing is seen like it was in 1E, i.e. your signature use of that power, then you can expect most novas that are utilizing their powers to a high degree daily would be Maxing them several times a week.You don't have to botch nearly as much as you're thinking.

Comment

• Originally posted by Slagheap View Post
                            I liked that the most recent manuscript update included blurbs about some of the Alligences from the TC Core and how they change with the Nova era.
                            Thanks! I was happy we managed to get those in there. Given how close the core setting and Aberrant are, a lot of those Allegiance are probably still active, and we wanted to provide some additional utility. I know some people will be tempted to just use the core rules and ignore the rest as irrelevant for their Aberrant games, so we wanted to show there was more in there that they could use.

I hope we get a stretch goal that covers them in more detail, and also includes the ones they didn't cover, like Nine.
                            If you read the core's writeup on 9, you'll see that they're considering the possibility of working under the UN under the auspices of Directive 9. And Aberrant's Directive sprang from the UN's Directive 9. You've already heard about what happened to 9.

Originally posted by LordHeru View Post

When it comes to that blast and the Fireman, I can't help but think he didn't die, maybe turned into fire or something. Maybe he learned something he wasn't supposed to know and so took a way out. Or something.

I just don't think he is dead. I really don't.
                            By our canon, he ded. He left behind charred remains. He's pretty much the embodiment of the "sacrifice" theme, so we're not eager to subvert that. But if you want to play around with that, by all means, don't let us stop you.

Ian A. A. Watson
                            Onyx Path Community Manager

Comment

• Originally posted by IanWatson View Post
                              By our canon, he ded. He left behind charred remains. He's pretty much the embodiment of the "sacrifice" theme, so we're not eager to subvert that. But if you want to play around with that, by all means, don't let us stop you.
                              I got so used to all the conspiracy theories that the Fireman being dead sounds like a big lie. I guess I will leave this door close in respect of his symbol in both worlds...

It’s funny how a character has so much meaning for us even appearing in 4 or 5 lines of text. I guess the 1e Fireman was a big symbol for me even not thinking much about it...

Comment

• The actual cause of the Sao Paulo blast still stands a potential conspiracy hook.

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

Working...
                                X