TC: Aberrant Kickstarter

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Bulshock View Post
    It's not just botches, Aiden. Any time you Max a power you automatically gain a Flux. If Maxing is seen like it was in 1E, i.e. your signature use of that power, then you can expect most novas that are utilizing their powers to a high degree daily would be Maxing them several times a week.You don't have to botch nearly as much as you're thinking.
    I think Maxing is more like Captain Marvel going Binary. It’s a BIG DEAL, not something you do several times a week,

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

• Hm, so Chrysalis no longer actually unravels permanent taint(transcendence) while leaving the social penalties. Pity, I guess maxed out Dormancy is literally the only way to go then.

I'm liking this Team Tonight. It's probably the thing I like the most about Utopia 2.0, and it seems like it would be the repository of literally every player I've ever run for who tried to do "good".

Somehow the Teragen seem more organized with some factions set under others as sub-factions. And it's interesting to have Antaeus contemplating Teras philosophy if not outright supporting it.

Nice to have some clarification of Caroline Fong's powers since we've literally never know what exactly it was that she did.

Comment

• Originally posted by glamourweaver View Post

I think Maxing is more like Captain Marvel going Binary. It’s a BIG DEAL, not something you do several times a week,
        Not sure if this is the same thing but; I remember back in 1e there were instances of novas using "signature moves" (ex; the Fist of Peace, Infinity Justifier, Core Meltdown), but they were referenced in such a way that they were considered separate powers & not really maxing out. If these specific power expressions were built up separately, the novas wouldn't need to max them out anymore (though I imagine it would be a drain on exp to develop something like that) and they might be able to avoid excess flux from it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Darksol-aeternium View Post
          Hm, so Chrysalis no longer actually unravels permanent taint(transcendence) while leaving the social penalties. Pity, I guess maxed out Dormancy is literally the only way to go then.

I'm liking this Team Tonight. It's probably the thing I like the most about Utopia 2.0, and it seems like it would be the repository of literally every player I've ever run for who tried to do "good".

Somehow the Teragen seem more organized with some factions set under others as sub-factions. And it's interesting to have Antaeus contemplating Teras philosophy if not outright supporting it.

Nice to have some clarification of Caroline Fong's powers since we've literally never know what exactly it was that she did.
          I like the new Proteus. They're still dark as hell without being moustashe twirlers.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bulshock View Post
            It's not just botches, Aiden. Any time you Max a power you automatically gain a Flux. If Maxing is seen like it was in 1E, i.e. your signature use of that power, then you can expect most novas that are utilizing their powers to a high degree daily would be Maxing them several times a week.You don't have to botch nearly as much as you're thinking.
            Let's wait until we see what Maxing Out actually looks like before we jump to conclusions about how often you would likely use it.

Revlid wrote:
            Yes, hollowing out your humanity to become an utterly utilitarian asura is the exact suggestion I would expect from you, Aiden.

Comment

• People are saying they would abandon Transcendence rules entirely, I would not go that far.

For Flux gathering: I would keep the Maxing out and quick recover and abandon the botch rule (you will know when you get some Flux because it on propose)
              For Flux releasing: I would make 1 week of low power (with test), 3 days now quantum spend or 1 day on dormancy per dot of Flux

I loved the idea of quantum instability, much better than a sudden transformation, it starts unstable and if you do t cool down for a few days it will be permanent... nice.
              Chrysalis should be at any moment you are unstable, not just when you are 10 Flux, otherwise you will get in your cocoon mid fight because you botched twice... that would be a bit... uncomfortable...

Comment

• Originally posted by Jetstream View Post

I like the new Proteus. They're still dark as hell without being moustashe twirlers.
                Yes. They manage to be at least on the necessary side of evil instead of basically catalyzing the thing they hope to prevent. Between them, the new UN-centric Directive, and Team Tonight you have a certain degree of overlap, even though they don't all know they're technically working together.

Comment

I'm tempted to play a Teragen infiltrator who reports to Proteus.

The reason he's still there is because he's a born-and-bred Terat; when he's speaking about the necessity of accepting your own godhood, he's not echoing the party line, he's excitedly expounding on his opinions. He just doesn't like the kind of gods he sees other Terats becoming.

Comment

• I don't think most Terats are putting themselves out as gods with the exception of members of Pandaimonion and some of the Cultus Nova. And even of those groups not all of the members are thinking that way. Specifically the Cultus is no longer all about religion, 'The theology of the Cultus Nova is ultimately apotheosis, the notion that each nova has the potential to grow into a god-like being, and the right and responsibility to explore this potential.' which to me sounds much more like Buddhism but without the zen aspects. Pandaimonion is less deeply philosophical and more about hedonism (and is the one whose members actually try to get worshipers).

But of those two general types (introspective vs. hedonistic) you could make an argument for dislike one of them. Honestly it sounds to me like he's closer to Cultus Nova.

Comment

• I think one of my Storypath Nexus publications will be a bunch of new Allegiances. Should be several built around super-intelligent Novas with various agendas for the world that don’t align with Utopia or Teragen’s forswearing of humanity. Not to mention a Utopia-skeptical activist group against Nova-regulations that are pro-Zurich hardliners who want to be treated EXACTLY legally the same as baselines (that’s what I made “Aberrant” in my 1e game after the sterilization plot was resolved).
                      Last edited by glamourweaver; 07-10-2019, 04:51 PM.

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

• Originally posted by glamourweaver View Post
                        I think one of my Storypath Nexus publications will be a bunch of new Allegiances. Should be several built around super-intelligent Novas with various agendas for the world that don’t align with Utopia or Teragen’s forswearing of humanity.
                        This sounds awesome and something very fun to read.

I can't help but think of all the advantages that can come from the agenda of a Mega-Intelligent nova, be it corporate (all the things a megacorp can do) or political (much could be done by a union or social group or political party led by one). So yeah, so much options.

Another idea I had was for a very rich nova who set something up with various other Nova Age organizations to establish something like an mobile orbital station colony or even a cityship with the capability of ground to space flight. (Looking forward to the Quantum Tech chapter for info on such things.)

Comment

• I admit, I'd still like to see SOMETHING that could eat away at Trenscendence. Maybe something the opposite of Chrysalis, and you can't have both? Because it sure does seem like anyone involved with Chrysalis is ona greased slide to True Aberrancy.

Comment

• Originally posted by SpectacularTentacular View Post
                            I admit, I'd still like to see SOMETHING that could eat away at Trenscendence. Maybe something the opposite of Chrysalis, and you can't have both? Because it sure does seem like anyone involved with Chrysalis is ona greased slide to True Aberrancy.
                            I'd argue that Divis Mal should already be there, if he's the same as he was in 1e. Q8 (5 Transcend), Chrysalis x 3 (3 Transcend), and whatever Transcendence he picked up prior to that.

Comment

• Originally posted by SpectacularTentacular View Post
                              I admit, I'd still like to see SOMETHING that could eat away at Trenscendence. Maybe something the opposite of Chrysalis, and you can't have both? Because it sure does seem like anyone involved with Chrysalis is ona greased slide to True Aberrancy.

I'll probably just rework one more kludgy WW/OPP "storytelling" mechanic to suit my needs, personally. Taint/Aberrations/Chrysalis were a right mess in 1e, and this looks to have most of the problems, minus the propensity for people to make dirty jokes when you used the "T word" too many times at 1am after everyone was loaded with red bull.

Comment

I'd argue that Divis Mal should already be there, if he's the same as he was in 1e. Q8 (5 Transcend), Chrysalis x 3 (3 Transcend), and whatever Transcendence he picked up prior to that.
                                I don't so much like this as in liking it but I like it cause I think based on rules, its kind of true. Which, in my estimation, makes the whole Transcendence thing utterly ridiculous.

Which is why I think it either needs to be downplayed or an ability that lets one bleed it off (and which does not involve spending more months not using powers then using powers in a year) at some rate.

Comment

Working...
                                X