No announcement yet.

TC: Aberrant Kickstarter

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The rules for Chrysalis in 1e were a kind of cheat code to power up faster than Goku, one year off and I came back to refit you with only my left leg.

About the Taint, as a non English native, I never knew it had the meaning it has... but instead of Transcendence it could be Corruption, as it was in 1e Taint in Aberrant and Trinity.

About the rules. It’s hard to predict anything without the power rules, maybe maxing out is really powerful or you hardly roll dice for activating powers, than It’s not a big deal...

Comment

• Maybe instead of Flux and Transcendence being two different things just keep it Flux, with both a temporary and permanent rating. Temporary ratings naturally fade at some setting level while permanent ratings require Chrysalis. At Flux 10 the nova's very being is now permanently out of whack with things, which is what makes them unplayable.

Flux is not a good or bad thing, its not a morality system, its not reaching for a different state, or becoming something else, its also not unnatural, rather it is what happens when beings at our level of existence use energy that is basically much more dynamic and fundamental.

The whole reason current novas gain Flux at higher Quantum's is because humanity's psychogenetic makeup is not fully ready to tap into the quantum energy source. But a more advanced version of humanity could in theory gain Quantum without gaining Flux, but most of us are not there yet.

Maybe Divis Mal, by his presence at the Hammersmith Event, is naturally resistant to Flux gain and buildup. Maybe he needs to gain more than 10 temporary flux to make it a point of permanent flux. Maybe permanent flux naturally fades away in time. Just some thoughts.

The book's three ways of gaining flux remain, but not the requirement that Flux is gained when one learns new Quantum powers.

Soooo, well, without realizing it I basically just summed up 1e version of Flux, lol. Which is funny as I wasn't a fan of it back then. (And really am not a fan of it now, but I know its not going anywhere, so I figure might as well not try and get them to remove it and instead provide input on its morality nature and the whole idea of a Transcendent 10 nova loosing all emotional ability.)

Ooh, and I had an idea. If permanent Flux can bleed off imagine a story of a Flux 10 nova suddenly becoming Flux 9, and regaining his more human oriented mindset. Which could be an interesting story seed.
      Last edited by LordHeru; 07-10-2019, 08:50 PM.

Comment

• Mateus Luz, part of the problem comes from having to max out a power in order to advance it. There is also an aberration that causes novas around you to gain Flux and non-Novas to gain Transcendence. Meaning we can potentially have novas that are making the people around them gain aberrations.

LordHeru, I would personally prefer it where Transcendence 10 didn't make PC's into NPC's, maybe something that plays with Aspirations by giving them an Aspiration that they have to either continually try to fulfill or that would be amazingly hard to fulfill (such as an aspiration to bring all of humanity to the 'next step' ala eruption or similar... which could be one for Mal if he actually triggered N-Day). Calling it Temporary and Permanent Flux also works for me, maybe with Transcendence being 10 because your body stops changing to adapt to the power. At 10 it would also make sense for no longer needing to max a power to increase it, which in turn would make Crysalis a mini Transcendence and overt control over how you change (the latter of which it already is).

Comment

• I hadn't thought about forced Flux gain and yeah, that is horrible. I would never say to a player "Your character just gained 10 Flux points due to being next to that nova". I could see using it in a setting element - "You hear rumors of an explosion in some city which seemed to have caused some rapid mutations in the people around there" - but never against a player, be they playing a nova, psiad, talent, or baseline.

I agree. Making Transcendence 10 characters into NPCs reminds me too much of how in the D6 Star Wars a character that goes to the Dark Side became an NPC. Its a morality system and that never sat well with me.

That said I do think that there has to be something that happens at a 10 Flux rating, something that makes a player want to not stay in that area. The idea of it being tied to Aspirations could be interesting, especially in tandem with numerous penalties for social interaction with others. Another idea could be the sacrifice of Quantum dots to reduce permanent Flux, with no XP refund. The benefit of Chrysalis is that said reduction can also happen, just without sacrifice.

I would never require a player to max a power to increase or gain it, so that part isn't for me.

Comment

• Originally posted by LordHeru View Post
            I hadn't thought about forced Flux gain and yeah, that is horrible. I would never say to a player "Your character just gained 10 Flux points due to being next to that nova". I could see using it in a setting element - "You hear rumors of an explosion in some city which seemed to have caused some rapid mutations in the people around there" - but never against a player, be they playing a nova, psiad, talent, or baseline.

I agree. Making Transcendence 10 characters into NPCs reminds me too much of how in the D6 Star Wars a character that goes to the Dark Side became an NPC. Its a morality system and that never sat well with me.

That said I do think that there has to be something that happens at a 10 Flux rating, something that makes a player want to not stay in that area. The idea of it being tied to Aspirations could be interesting, especially in tandem with numerous penalties for social interaction with others. Another idea could be the sacrifice of Quantum dots to reduce permanent Flux, with no XP refund. The benefit of Chrysalis is that said reduction can also happen, just without sacrifice.

I would never require a player to max a power to increase or gain it, so that part isn't for me.
            The Flux radiation Aberration is there because that's what a lot of Aberrants do in Aeon. They corrupt areas with Flux.

Also Psiads are immune to it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jetstream View Post

The Flux radiation Aberration is there because that's what a lot of Aberrants do in Aeon. They corrupt areas with Flux.

Also Psiads are immune to it.
              Right but novas aren't and they then gain Flux from it, which could push them over the threshold into another point of Transcendence. Which was the point, it means a nova can be forced into higher levels of Flux against their will. Which is something I am not a fan of.

Obviously the easiest answer si that a nova is immune to flux gain from any source that is not themselves.

Comment

• I like your idea of calling Flux as a neutral word (transcendence is quite good, corruption is bad), but at same time it’s not a good word for what it’s representing. Maybe a name more related to charge or filling would give the idea better... unfortunately I am horrible with words, even in Portuguese...
                Corruption came from Cor Ruptus, Brocken Core (technically it’s broken hearth, not the hearth from the feelings, but the hearth core of yourself), it would be a good representation of what the Nova is passing thru, mental or physically.
                Other possibility would be Aberrancy, as it’s going out of normal, abnormal, aberrant...
                anyway, the name is not the point here... so I will keep Transcendence for the permanent and Flux for the temporary.

I think that the Transcendence value taking the character out of game is good, not because of the player wanting to keep the character, but because it is hard for the character to be like that, maybe the discomfort that they cause to people around them affect them too.

If we keep Flux gain and loss in check, an Nova can keep going on balance.
                Chrysalis can be the way the Terat deal with the excess of Flux (not the permanent but the temporary), you make the transformation permanent but don’t get more Transcendence, so you are twisted somehow, but don’t feel it (you accept your self, both physically and mentally). The process is the one described in the book, but it don’t require que character being on 10 Flux, just on the quantum instability, the time is locked on the number of times you did it, not your Transcendence value.
                Last edited by Mateus Luz; 07-10-2019, 10:00 PM.

Comment

• Forced Flux is exactaly what the Aberrants do in Aeon, and becoming a mindless drone is exactaly what means Transcendence 10 in this case...

It’s a severe transformation, so it’s going to be really rare, supposing a Nova can avoid accumulating Flux on a daily basis...
                  Last edited by Mateus Luz; 07-10-2019, 10:05 PM.

Comment

• Maxing out to be able to train the power is not the point, it’s just wrong as I see because it’s not how our body works, we can learne and devolve abilities and knowledge on a daily effort that don’t take us to the limit. Taking to the limit helps, but not that much as it causes fatigue and may even make future training harder.

The two options for gaining Flux on a natural way is Maxing Out and Rapid Recovery. They represent that extra effort you do to the point you hurt yourself a little (or a lot in the case of Fireman).

If you can take a week of to handle this every once in a while, it should be ok. Using the rules as we see you need to take a few months off, what is wrong as there are lots of novas that are still in balance.

I would like to have the rules alloying is to do the same as Fireman, no I don’t want my character to die, Just want to have a chance to do so by an spectacular effort or by a lost of control. So I maybe writing something about it soon...
                    Last edited by Mateus Luz; 07-11-2019, 08:45 AM.

Comment

• I see why they went with Flux over Taint, and that’s just fine, though Taint as a name never bothered me much. Transcendence seems like what a Terat might call a permanent Flux rating as it does have a positive connotation. If not Transcendence then, perhaps you might call it Metamorphosis (a more neutral word), or Alienation (which points directly at the deleterious effect they’re drawing attention to)?

Back in 1e the whole point of Chrysalis was to reduce permanent Taint rating in order to retain sanity/control of oneself. I rather liked the idea of choosing an aberration I might tolerate (enjoy even), and accepting slightly increased social penalties due to being inhuman-looking. The whole system of transforming Chrysalis points into “quasi-xp” that is used to build up quantum abilities, while interesting, wasn’t at all necessary. The idea was finding a way to reduce permanent taint, and that’s all it should focus on. Being out of character for extended periods of time was a price I was willing to pay in order to retain control of my character. The beta version of Chrysalis 2.0 seems a lot easier to manage, but it merely selects aberrations instead of removing any permanent ratings, so it really isn’t solving the problem the way it used to.

LordHeru’s idea of voluntarily reducing Quantum to wipe out permanent Fluxseems like a process that the medics at AEON might come up with given some kind of insight into how Flux works. Terats would avoid this like the plague since their focus is realization of quantum potential (which would now fast-forward them to self-destruction). Or...maybe losing Quantum while reducing Flux might be a side-effect of a failed Chrysalis

Honestly though, since temporary Flux burns off naturally now and seemingly faster (I thought it took twice as long in 1e to get rid of), it doesn’t seem like it should be as much of a problem. Even having to max out to be able to gain new powers (if that stays the way it is) can be managed carefully, and just having Dormancy would burn it off steadily.

The aberration that creates a field of contagious Flux establishes a historical point in canon so it has a place in the setting, but I’d probably never afflict a player with it as it’s essentially a death-sentence. As soon as that kind of issue manifests, the world will know almost instantly thanks to the information age. Then EVERY Proteus, Directive, and T2N member along with a squadron of DeVries combat elites hired by the (as yet unmentioned) Michaelites would be redirected to kill your ass dead immediately. Not only are you a danger to yourself, you’re an incurable plague to literally everyone else, including baselines.

Comment

• Reminder that there's a playtest form available: if the mechanics as written aren't working for you, please say so in the form.

Ian A. A. Watson
                        Onyx Path Community Manager

Comment

• Originally posted by IanWatson View Post
                          Reminder that there's a playtest form available: if the mechanics as written aren't working for you, please say so in the form.
                          Thanks Ian, just waiting for the powers to start testing the way Flux is working, so far the only thing that is really bothering me.

The idea of taking the Nova Points away and use just experience is great. On 1e it would be a little bit difficult with all the progressive costs, but with a fixed cost it’s much better.

Comment

• Darksol, agree with you in every aspect.

The only thing that I don’t think is working is gaining Flux on botches, tha is a rule that didn’t exist on 1e. Max out give taint but only on a botche (it was a bit different the way botch worked, if I am not wrong, easier to botch).

I spend a lot of time thinking about maxing out for evolving powers and it make sense, as it forces the character to use it to train it. It’s a Nova characteristic, it’s quantum powered, it’s not a knowledge you are studying, or pumping iron to get bigger muscles, it’s firing quantum bolts from your hand. A Nova can do basically everything he can set their mind to believe he can, that’s the limit, so he maxes out to learn how far he can go. We open a problem for new powers and other abilities, but let’s see how maxing out works first to discuss the details.

Comment

• I guess I'm one of the people who thinks the tragic decline into inhumanity was one of the better parts of Aberrant. I never liked that Terats could basically accrue an infinite amount of Taint. The new system for Chrysalis is better in, my estimation because there is no way to erase Transcendence. Sure, you can manipulate your Transformations, and avoid some Flux by buying powers through it, but that's it. I also thought it was way too hard to get Taint in the first edition. I can't think of a single character I played who even got one point of permanent Taint from play.

Once you Erupt, you're on the path to being an Aberrant. It's what you do on that journey which matters and shows your true nature.

Comment

• Originally posted by Florin View Post
                                I guess I'm one of the people who thinks the tragic decline into inhumanity was one of the better parts of Aberrant. I never liked that Terats could basically accrue an infinite amount of Taint. The new system for Chrysalis is better in, my estimation because there is no way to erase Transcendence. Sure, you can manipulate your Transformations, and avoid some Flux by buying powers through it, but that's it. I also thought it was way too hard to get Taint in the first edition. I can't think of a single character I played who even got one point of permanent Taint from play.

Once you Erupt, you're on the path to being an Aberrant. It's what you do on that journey which matters and shows your true nature.
                                Except it’s not true. Not all novas in Aeon are Aberrants.

Comment

Working...
                                X