The Mega-Human/All-Purpose Nova

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Mega-Human/All-Purpose Nova

On The Story Told Podcast, Steve Kenson mentioned that novas can make a superhero-style template and get minor benefits in exchange for pre-confining your character's direction of growth. Since that appears to be set in stone, can I now hope that there will be a Mega-Human template, allowing a nova who concentrates on Mega-Attribute abilities almost exclusively, being essentially a human being operating on a larger Scale? I was always intrigued by that possibility, but it was always difficult to do in the original Aberrant without falling behind the other, more specialized players.

I dunno, I did it once. Nathan. I maxed out all his attributes, got most of his abilities to 4 and a few of them to 5, then took 3 dots in every mega attribute. He was pretty damned effective. The only powers he had were... Hypermovement and armor, I think.

Comment

It could be done, but I noticed that the more specialized players had easier times making noticeable improvements to their character's niche abilities than mine, who was spread out over nine areas of interest.

Comment

Mega Human is a viable option to play, fun and versatile, but not notably strong. If you focus on any of the 3 options, Mega Physical, Mega Mental or Mega Social, it was quite powerful and focused, but you may lack some uses on the other arenas.

I really liked que combination of Mega Perception, Stamina and Dexterity, with some speed for a Assault attacker, adding other attributes can be useful, but lack focus...

Comment

I had this whole thing typed out, then my phone glitched and I lost it. Which is unfortunate.

I both really like the idea of the superhero-style template and the idea of the Mega-Human. The idea of there being some already pre-packaged power sets will make the initial character creation for many quite a lot easier. But even more it will make making changes all the more easier too (take package A but remove X to add D, change the name, there you go).

Mega-Human also sounds really fun too, especially in a game where being able to say remain generally physically human is important. Its also great to represent those characters that have a lot of abilities but can't really sling fire and such.

Comment

YES!! Apparently, the Mega-Human/All-Purpose Nove was what they meant when they talk about "dark stars"/"stealth" novas. And it seems they will, in fact, be easier to do in this edition of Aberrant! I am now happy monkey!

Comment

It’s really interesting. We will be able to build Stalwarts easily.

I do prefere Adventure! over Aberrant, not a big gap, but Adventure is much more heroic and there are so many options and stories...

Comment

Stealth Novas and dark star novas aren't Stalwarts, they are novas who make use of lower visibility powers. Stalwarts are a different, under,order of user. The later (stalwarts) can become a former (nova) in time, but they are not the same thing.

BUT that said, I agree in that Adventure! is very cool and the powers that they have (be it Stalwart, Mesmerist, or Daredevil/Talent) is pretty aweso e and nifty and can lead to soooooo many options and stories. Especially when one wants powers but they don't want the world to radically change do to quantum flames and such.

I always liked the idea of a colony where everyone was an Inspired, which is really nifty and leads to numerous low key changes to society. hehe

Oooh, now I have the idea of a world where at maturity everyone becomes Inspired - be it Talent, Stalwart, or Mesmerist. Given time and self-mastery the later two can become a Nova or Psiad in a gradual progression of ability. hmm hehe

Comment

I disagree with the Stalwart is not Nova statement, same for Mesmerists are not Psiads.

It’s described as being the same on a different power level, but still being the same. They didn’t call Stalwarts Novas because the name was created after Galetea. The Stalwart is merely a Nova that was weak because was not exposed to a high level of quantum flux on eruption.

Comment

I disagree with your disagreeing. (Sorry, couldn't resist, lol)

Seriously though, you do you, its your game. I just don't really see Stalwarts and Mesmerists as the same as Novas and Psiads. Similar, yes, the same no.

I don't remember who first came up with the idea, it wasn't me, but I always liked the imagery that Stalwarts and Mesmerists are standing on the shore with their feet in the shallow waters of Quantum and Psi while Novas and Psiads, on the other hand, have jumped into the deep end, so far that they really don't see the shores anymore. Novas and Psiads though are so far deep that they are fully immersed in the energies of their waters, and thus don't touch the other.

Now please ignore the fact that with QK psiads do get to touch quantum, lol.

Anyway, its just a matter of opinion and one's mileage may vary. But yeah I think they are different.

-----

Onto the main point of this thread, I too am really glad that the idea of buying a few or all Mega-Attributes is a thing that is not just supported by also given its own sort of mention. The idea I have is for a character who focuses mostly on the Mega-Attributes, plus one or two broad powers as well. So seeing such a stealth nova idea is nifty.

Comment

Originally posted by Mateus Luz View Post
                      I disagree with the Stalwart is not Nova statement, same for Mesmerists are not Psiads.

It’s described as being the same on a different power level, but still being the same. They didn’t call Stalwarts Novas because the name was created after Galetea. The Stalwart is merely a Nova that was weak because was not exposed to a high level of quantum flux on eruption.
                      he's right, though. Stalwarts aren't novas. Novas are tier 3, inherently. Stalwarts would almost certainly be Tier 2, just like Talents.

Even Ian's made the distinction. Michael Donighal became an actual nova when the Hammersmith incident happened, Mercer a Paramorph, and Bhurano a Psiad, the rest were Stalwarts, Mesmerists, and Talents.

Comment

Using the same standards, a Proxy level Psion is not a Psion (the Proxies themselves are not really the same as Psions neither Psiads)

Comment

Originally posted by Mateus Luz View Post
                          Using the same standards, a Proxy level Psion is not a Psion (the Proxies themselves are not really the same as Psions neither Psiads)
                          That's true. They aren't. They can do things normal Psions can't do.

Comment

I think its important to point out that neither Psions nor Proxies (as their powers are artificially designed/restricted) are the true state that a person using Noetic energy should be - the Psiad is.

Comment

I agree with the idea of a tier 2 Stalwart, I would even suggest that Q1 and 2 novas would be Tier 2, so you became a real tier 3 character on Q3, allowing to increase attributes to 6 and getting access to most of the powers, and on Q6 you became a tier 4 character (with what ever advantages it can bring).

One thing that bothered me about Adventure was that you can’t evolve a Stalwart to Nova, same style as Divis Mal, there is no translation of the power level (I don’t mind about the knacks actually, just the Inspiration to Quantum convention).
                              Than I see a good example of how the novas and Stalwarts can be created using the same system, it would be really annoying to be limited again by a wired rule (I will play like this until we have better set of rules, just want to put my position here).
                              Last edited by Mateus Luz; 07-14-2019, 03:10 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X