The Return of the Mega-Attributes?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Return of the Mega-Attributes?

So in the lastest KS update, there's an offhand mention of Mega-Attributes. I'm guessing that this means that TC:Aberrant is going to have them, after all…

…which is fine by me, as long as they're handled by means of the Scale mechanics, and the Scale mechanics aren't limited to just Mega-Attributes. In particular, I'm looking forward to seeing Scale incorporated directly into the Quantum Powers. Heck, your level of the Quantum trait may well be tied directly to how much Scale you can put into your Quantum Powers (and Mega-Attributes?).

These next two weeks are going to be interesting.

I personally think the power description are not going to be different from what we see on Psi power from Aeon, I mean, the number of targets, the maximum size, things like that should be fixed by the dots and quantum.

BUT we will have some Masteries to increase the scale of the powers the same way as the 6dot powers from Aeon, but rising beyond the +1 scale. For example, you have a 3 dot power, when you get Q4 you can get mastery 1 raising scale of the power by +1 (quite big), Q6 Mastery 2 raising by +2 (city size), Q8 Mastery 3 raising by +3 (state sized).

Also Mastery would allow some extras, for example, Elemental Mastery would became Elemental Authority by Mastery 2, things like this.

Comment

Naturally. Mega-attributes and their associated enhancements were a big deal. I had a few characters that were defined primarily by them.

Comment

It's always been s given that Scaling and 2e analogs of 1e's Enhancements would be in 2e; but we were told several times that Mega-Attributes were gone. I'm glad that decision has been reversed.

I'm wondering, though, how 2e is going to do it. Based on the chapter titles, we're getting Quantum Powers and Abilities. Are Mega-Attributes a kind of Ability in 2e? Or maybe they're a class of Quantum Powers now? Are 1e's Enhancements (which I'm assuming are called Abilities in 2e) still tied to Mega-Attributes? I know that when Kenson did GURPS Powers, he featured a Powers and Abilities model where Powers were broad, thematic frameworks and Abilities were individual uses of those powers. Maybe he's doing the same thing here?

Comment

Originally posted by Dataweaver View Post
          I know that when Kenson did GURPS Powers, he featured a Powers and Abilities model where Powers were broad, thematic frameworks and Abilities were individual uses of those powers. Maybe he's doing the same thing here?
          Thats not a bad idea, it would make the powers more related. I know Aberrant 1e is good because its flexible, but if you think Storypath and the paths are REALLY flexible, with all the give the name of the condition on the fly thing and make your own weapons. if you have Power named Elemental Mastery and a series of abilities related to it, like blast, shield, sheet, transmission, etc, it would be really nice and a good way to keep the character focus.

Lets wait till tomorrow to see what the character creation chapter says about it...

Comment

I'm glad that it will still exist in some form or another, its one of those iconic concepts that make Aberrant Aberrant, even if the rules for them change it is still a nifty thing.

I am sooooooooooo looking forward to character creation this week, it will help fill in t he blank on stuff we are missing in terms of knowledge.

Comment

During an interview, Ian and Denson had stated that Mega-Attributes will be in the game but they will be handled by Scaling mechanics. So, I assume that with Mega-Stamina, rather than you having a ton of dice to use to resist attacks or damage, then the Scale will be used to lower the target number from 7 (The stated Scale of Novas) to 6.

Comment

That's not Scale; it's Tier.

Comment

How Scale works is generally pretty clear (leaving aside the questions and issues around when to apply it) and is covered on p74-75 of Trinity Continuum Core. For Narrative actions, handwave, multiply dice rolls by Scale difference, or assume one success per 3 dice. For Dramatic actions, gain 2 Enhancement to dice rolls per Scale.

Writer. Developer. World of Darkness | Chronicles of Darkness | The Trinity Continuum

Comment

There's a bit more to it than that: for example, if you have an advantage in Scale in terms of Stamina, the damage you take gets mitigated or outright nullified.

Comment

Yes, I left that out, but my point was that the Scale systems are reasonably straight forward. (And you didn’t mention that higher Scale lets you purchase an additional Inflict Damage for each level greater.)

(Do you have a page reference for Stamina Scale mitigating damage? I’m aware that 3+ higher Scale nullifies damage - or more accurately, your opponent can’t purchase the Inflict Damage stunt at all - but I’ve missed greater Scale otherwise mitigating damage.)

Writer. Developer. World of Darkness | Chronicles of Darkness | The Trinity Continuum

Comment

If it's not there, it should be. For what it's worth, the only reason I brought it up was that thedonnie was asking about how Mega-Stamina works. I didn't have my books handy, so I just went off the principle that the designers wouldn't have overlooked something so obvious.

Comment

There is something about adding 1 to defence or soft armor for every scale above, but I am quite sure it’s not on Core. Probably on Scion, I may check later.

We will probably have something about it in a week from tomorrow when the New Rules and Quantum Powers and Abilities from aberrant is available. I remember on the Scale post they talked about Aberrant being more clear about it.

Edit: Scion Origin page 122, Different Game but I would use it until an official (in 15 days)
                          Sigrun picks a fight with Hogzilla, a nemean boar and a powerful titanspawn. Sigrun and Hogzilla have similar stats (remarkably enough) but Hogzilla gains an Enhancement bonus of 2 successes to most Physical ac- tions and +1 to its Defense, due to its superior Scale rating
                          Last edited by Mateus Luz; 07-08-2019, 10:59 PM.

Comment

About scale, there are a few comments about it in the Aberrant Character Creation Chapter, but the real rules will be in the New Rules and Quantum Powers and Abilities.

About the term Abilities, I would say it’s referring to Mega Attibutes, Mega Edges, Power Tags and Quantum itself.
                            Mega Attributes are pretty straightforward
                            Mega Edges are the old Enhancements as far as I understand
                            Quantum is quantum, we know it works as it used too, but how it impact in the Powers is not clear yet.
                            This Power Tag is far from clear to me. We need to wait a week to learn more. Edit: Power tag looks like the old extras, but I may be wrong.
                            Last edited by Mateus Luz; 07-09-2019, 10:49 AM.

Comment

Working...
                            X