TC:Aberrant - Funny or ridiculous Novas

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TC:Aberrant - Funny or ridiculous Novas

And now to something completely different...

Aberrant (and Trinity in General) sure can cover a whole lot of different possible superhero-stories. But what about superhero-comedies or even parodies? Could a Nova in the Style of 'Shazam", "The Tick" or, for Petes sake, even ,"The Powdered Toast Man" work in Aberrant? And, If yes, in what way?
    (The easiest way, I could come up with spontaniously, would be an N!WE-Wrestler, whose schtick on stage is beeing clownish)

Well in our game there is an NPC who is so easygoing and Carellas that he does often crossover to comedy. He’s powers are mostly flight and at least some mega-stamina. But he has so far, Frozen himself and very nearly died of the fall after testing how high he could fly, he also took part in a raid armed with an AK47, since he has no attack powers, when his leg was still in a cast flying in a positiivisia like he would be if lying on the ground with his cast leg working as a battering ram if thetarget didn’t drop from the gun or just duck away. And those are only few moments of hilarity, so comedy can be done even without comedic powers and should you wish you could just dress up the powers hilariously.

So yes I’d say comedy or parody superheroes can be done in Aberrant, quite easily in fact. Or at least could in 1st ed, not yet knowledgeable enough of the 2nd to say anything about it.

Comment

One of my characters had an alias that he used whenever he wanted to make a point. He was El Pie-acabre. He'd wear a rainbow patterned Zorro outfit, and would always find a way to play some kind of dramatic Spanish guitar music when he appeared.

Then he'd hit people in the face with pies.

The pies all made a statement about what he thought of the person he smacked with 'em. It took the characters a while to work out what all of them meant, but I made the GM a... Pie... Chart... that told him what they all were.

(comes back after ten minutes) I found it! I shall now recreate it in exactly the form I gave it to my GM.

The Pie... Chart (Pieacabre Statement Key)
      • Apple: Mundane, sweet-but-useless.
      • Cherry: Untried, inexperienced, ignorant.
      • Peach: Conservative, playing it safe, wuss.
      • Blueberry: Overkill, stains everything.
      • Pumpkin/Pecan: Uninspired, flavor-of-the-month.
      • Shepherd's: Meaty, bad for you.
      • Crow: Obvious.
      • Whipped Cream: Fluffy, no substance.
      • Boysenberry: Shallow, immature.
      • Strawberry/Rhubarb: Approval, but you get pied anyway.
      • Lemon Meringue: Hiding something, disengenuous.
      • Key Lime: Rebel w/o a cause, pretentious.
      • Chicken Pot: Never actually defined this one
      One time he hit every single member of Congress with the Crow pies. Plopped them all down in front of each of them, then smacked their faces into 'em. Good times.

In a later game our GM used him as his own character. So yeah, I think he works as a proper ridiculous nova

Edit: Oh oh! If you wanna know how he got away with this, he eventually had really high levels of Hypermovement (mastered), high Mega-Dex, the Dex Enhancement that multiplied movement speed, Sizemorph Shrink, Invisibility... Doing this wasn't his character concept, but he eventually grew to be a god of screwing with people. He also had a bestie who was a warper.
      Last edited by Jetstream; 07-13-2019, 04:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jetstream View Post
        One of my characters had an alias that he used whenever he wanted to make a point. He was El Pie-acabre. He'd wear a rainbow patterned Zorro outfit, and would always find a way to play some kind of dramatic Spanish guitar music when he appeared.

<snip>
        In our old group, we also had a running joke NPC dubbed "Bioluminescence Man". His particular suite of capabilities are as predictable as they are disappointing. He kinda broke the rule about uncool Novas, but he arose out of a confluence of conversations about what MDD likely had when he first erupted, and a line in the ST Guide about playing Novas with low power totals.

I believe in one game we converted him to Teras and he emerged from Chrysalis as a terrifying illusionist, but most of the time he was a joke.

Also, we appropriated the Mega-Flex character at some point, and he erupted with M. Str 1, M Stam 1, and a couple extra health levels.

Comment

Originally posted by Totentanz View Post

In our old group, we also had a running joke NPC dubbed "Bioluminescence Man". His particular suite of capabilities are as predictable as they are disappointing. He kinda broke the rule about uncool Novas, but he arose out of a confluence of conversations about what MDD likely had when he first erupted, and a line in the ST Guide about playing Novas with low power totals.

I believe in one game we converted him to Teras and he emerged from Chrysalis as a terrifying illusionist, but most of the time he was a joke.

Also, we appropriated the Mega-Flex character at some point, and he erupted with M. Str 1, M Stam 1, and a couple extra health levels.
          BIO-luminescence!

Comment

Working...
          X