Psiads in Aberrant

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Possessed View Post

1st edition Nova could make Charles Xavier level Telepath, which is a very reasonable concept in Aberrant, the question is can you still do that. It used to be mostly Telepathy+Domination and Mega-Int. Simple and efficient. That is how Aberrant 1st edition can be Summer up for me. Simple and efficient.
    You can do Domination with Commanding Presence and Hypnotic Presence, it’s just not easy or cheep. That what I meant by doable.

But it’s not possible do Charles Xavier with 150 XP for sure... maybe 300... I may try and bring it up when I have some time. It’s going to be hard, I admit, if that’s the point.

Comment

Xavier also isn't a newbie, so... maybe don't build him on 150 XP to begin with. There's rules for starting with more experienced characters; use them.

I really like the "this is artificial" complaint. Yes, it's artificial. It's all fiction, folks. That's what it means, it's all made up.

The second edition of the Trinity line games is meant to be a reboot of sorts, reconciling and updating some of the silliness that the 1st edition games had, as a product of early White Wolf. (What, me continuity?) Separating out the super duper powers into different kinds isn't any more unreasonable than, a few worlds over, telling Vampires they can't do True Magic or Solar Exalted they can't shapeshift.

Yes, 1st edition didn't do this. 1st edition was also a barely playable mess of mechanics. As for the lack of "mastery"... has anyone here actually read the extended scale? Scale 6, the highest in the core, is "Astonishing. Entities at this Scale operate in a grander area as well and have a streamlined design. For example, self-aware AI, Mt. Everest, a fighter jet, or a nuclear bomb." Scale 7 is "Supreme. Examples include a metroplex spanning multiple cities (such as the Boston-Washington Corridor in the United States), software that thinks on a human level, or novatech
      versions of mundane weapons of mass destruction with vastly increased effects."

Okay, so let's think about that. 1st edition Mastery was Q6. In this edition, you can reach Scale 6 at Q 5 or 6, depending on the power and maxing out and such. A Quantum 5 nova with Growth is comparable to Mount Everest. That same nova's Quantum Attack has five free tag points, a Scale 5 attack (merely comparable to the Statue of Liberty, an airliner, or rockets), and quite possible has Mega-attributes further assisting the attack. (Mega-Attributes don't directly give loads of dice, but Mega-Dex with a ranged attack reduces complications and difficulty. Defense is a difficulty.)

No, we don't have a super-broken Mastery tag and powers that show the authors didn't actually get how math works. But don't tell me novas can't have some fat crackling cosmic power of the gods and psi users are 'stronger'

Comment

Originally posted by Aliasi View Post
        Xavier also isn't a newbie, so... maybe don't build him on 150 XP to begin with. There's rules for starting with more experienced characters; use them.

I really like the "this is artificial" complaint. Yes, it's artificial. It's all fiction, folks. That's what it means, it's all made up.

The second edition of the Trinity line games is meant to be a reboot of sorts, reconciling and updating some of the silliness that the 1st edition games had, as a product of early White Wolf. (What, me continuity?) Separating out the super duper powers into different kinds isn't any more unreasonable than, a few worlds over, telling Vampires they can't do True Magic or Solar Exalted they can't shapeshift.

Yes, 1st edition didn't do this. 1st edition was also a barely playable mess of mechanics. As for the lack of "mastery"... has anyone here actually read the extended scale? Scale 6, the highest in the core, is "Astonishing. Entities at this Scale operate in a grander area as well and have a streamlined design. For example, self-aware AI, Mt. Everest, a fighter jet, or a nuclear bomb." Scale 7 is "Supreme. Examples include a metroplex spanning multiple cities (such as the Boston-Washington Corridor in the United States), software that thinks on a human level, or novatech
        versions of mundane weapons of mass destruction with vastly increased effects."

Okay, so let's think about that. 1st edition Mastery was Q6. In this edition, you can reach Scale 6 at Q 5 or 6, depending on the power and maxing out and such. A Quantum 5 nova with Growth is comparable to Mount Everest. That same nova's Quantum Attack has five free tag points, a Scale 5 attack (merely comparable to the Statue of Liberty, an airliner, or rockets), and quite possible has Mega-attributes further assisting the attack. (Mega-Attributes don't directly give loads of dice, but Mega-Dex with a ranged attack reduces complications and difficulty. Defense is a difficulty.)

No, we don't have a super-broken Mastery tag and powers that show the authors didn't actually get how math works. But don't tell me novas can't have some fat crackling cosmic power of the gods and psi users are 'stronger'

Right? Quantum Attack level 6 is a scale 6 attack. Y'know what else is a scale 6 attack? A goddamned nuke! :P

Edit: And since you get tags equal to rating... Let's see what our Q6 nuke looks like!

Quantum Attack 6 (Scale 6. Explosive(Ranged), Aggravated, Destructive)

KABOOM!

Comment

Originally posted by Jetstream View Post

Right? Quantum Attack level 6 is a scale 6 attack. Y'know what else is a scale 6 attack? A goddamned nuke! :P

Edit: And since you get tags equal to rating... Let's see what our Q6 nuke looks like!

Quantum Attack 6 (Scale 6. Explosive(Ranged), Aggravated, Destructive)

KABOOM!
          Your nuke has an explosion radius of a hand grenade.

One thing, that strikes me as interesting Nova powers in comparison to psions are generally cheaper to use. They are incredibly more costly to acquire, but you do have more quantum points and quantum is easy to gain more of. Reduce cost is costly in experience, but can reduce the cost of power to zero with several buys and together with power suite makes an easy job of making variable effects at zero quantum cost even ones of incredible power. Add to it mega attributes and you have endurance fighters of high level.

Comment

Originally posted by zorb42 View Post

Your nuke has an explosion radius of a hand grenade.

One thing, that strikes me as interesting Nova powers in comparison to psions are generally cheaper to use. They are incredibly more costly to acquire, but you do have more quantum points and quantum is easy to gain more of. Reduce cost is costly in experience, but can reduce the cost of power to zero with several buys and together with power suite makes an easy job of making variable effects at zero quantum cost even ones of incredible power. Add to it mega attributes and you have endurance fighters of high level.
            Sure, if you want it to be big you gotta spend more XP on area, as it should be. You wanna blow up a city, you pay for it :P

Comment

But hey, nuclear hand grenade is hardly without its uses, either.

Comment

It’s a hand granade that can destroy an aircarrier, not bad at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Aliasi View Post
                  But hey, nuclear hand grenade is hardly without its uses, either.

It's arguably more useful than an actual nuclear bomb, since most novas aren't going to want to destroy entire cities when they pop-off.

Comment

Working...
                  X