Nova Power Costs Comparison

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nova Power Costs Comparison

So I've seen a few people talk about how super expensive nova powers are. I wanted to bring some perspective to that discussion.

Thesis: Nova powers have always been super expensive.

Evidence: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...FnI/edit#gid=0

If you look at a side-by-side comparison, powers cost significantly more than level 1 powers used to. However, they are only slightly more expensive, on a dot-per-dot basis, than level 2 powers. And there is a significant cost savings on level 3 powers no matter how you slice it. As for Quantum, it's hella cheaper. These things are especially true if you take Nova Points into account.

30 Nova Points wasn't very much. At all. With 30 Nova Points, you could get your quantum to 5 and have enough left for... 2 dots in a level 3 power. Or 3 dots in a level 2 power/mega-att and 1 dot in a level 1 power. Or 10 dots of level 1 powers (underwhelming, but I guess claws 5 ain't terrible)

By contrast, with this system it would cost 64 XP to get to quantum 5. Then you've got 86 XP left over, which is 7 dots of whatever you want... with two XP left, which ain't super useful but hey, Path Edge?

So. Anyone want me to do math on any of the other traits? Given the multiplicative nature of powers, this cost savings only gets better as time goes by. Especially for powers that get Power tags for free (like Quantum Attack). You wanted an Area Quantum Bolt in 1e at 6 dots, mastered? That's a level 4 power, unless you wait 'til Quantum 6 to buy that Area. Cha-ching.

Edit: This argument does not stand up if you consider Mega-Edges to be Enhancements, I admit. But Mega-edges are a completely different beast, in a lot of ways... Though yeah, a lot of Mega-Edges cost more than I think they're worth. I'd say they'd be better served by being priced on a separate points scale, and have 12 XP buy you a certain number of points, based on what the Mega-Edges are worth compared to one another. But that's not my call, and I already suggested it in the feedback form.

Edit 2: I put in the "Dark Star" nova that a lot of people have been super excited about, one with all Mega-Attributes at 1. If you look at a pure XP cost, it's way more expensive now. However if you look at the Nova Point cost, that'd run you 27 NP, leaving you... 3. You can then have... a dot of armor? By contrast, at 108 XP, you've got 42 left over, which gets you 3.5 dots of powers. Or 2 dots of Quantum, and 10 XP remaining.
    Last edited by Jetstream; 07-17-2019, 08:23 PM.

The current KS update hints at templates, but a friend of mine has worked out some basic 'templates' people are likely to use.

"Stealth Nova" Q1, 10 Points in Nova stuff, 30xp remaining
    "Nova of All Trades" Q1, 12 points in Nova Stuff, 6xp remaining
    "I found the power that I like, so I'm going ALL IN" Q5, 5 dots in one power, 10xp remaining
    "Focused Generalist" Q3, 9 dots in Nova Stuff, 10xp remaining
    "Less Focused Generalist" Q2, 10 points in Nova Stuff, 14xp remaining
    "...I don't quite wanna go all in" Q4, 8 points in Nova Stuff, 6xp remaining

I also chuckle at the people complaining about the removal of nova points, even as people also complain about how some of the Storyteller games 'still use bonus points instead of XP at chargen'.

Comment

I think the name points of Nova Stuff could be changed to Nova dots. But the options are a good way to see what you can do with 150 XP.

Comment

Originally posted by Aliasi View Post
        The current KS update hints at templates, but a friend of mine has worked out some basic 'templates' people are likely to use.

"Stealth Nova" Q1, 10 Points in Nova stuff, 30xp remaining
        "Nova of All Trades" Q1, 12 points in Nova Stuff, 6xp remaining
        "I found the power that I like, so I'm going ALL IN" Q5, 5 dots in one power, 10xp remaining
        "Focused Generalist" Q3, 9 dots in Nova Stuff, 10xp remaining
        "Less Focused Generalist" Q2, 10 points in Nova Stuff, 14xp remaining
        "...I don't quite wanna go all in" Q4, 8 points in Nova Stuff, 6xp remaining

I also chuckle at the people complaining about the removal of nova points, even as people also complain about how some of the Storyteller games 'still use bonus points instead of XP at chargen'.
        Q5, 5 dots, would actually leave you with 26 XP.

Comment

Originally posted by Jetstream View Post

Q5, 5 dots, would actually leave you with 26 XP.
          Looking over things, I think they accidentally had you buying Q1 with that setup, yes.

Comment

Looking over things, I think they accidentally had you buying Q1 with that setup, yes.
            Yeah, that's the only way the math would work out like that.

Comment

So I guess that starting the game with Quantum 1 might be a common thing now in the new edition.

Comment

Originally posted by LordHeru View Post
                So I guess that starting the game with Quantum 1 might be a common thing now in the new edition.
                I don't see why. It's easier to start with higher quantum than it used to be.

Comment

Originally posted by Jetstream View Post

I don't see why. It's easier to start with higher quantum than it used to be.
                  Really? Well then, I guess its just me trying to get as many things as I can and so I found myself being limited in being able to purchase additional Quantum.
                  Last edited by LordHeru; 07-18-2019, 12:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by LordHeru View Post
                    Too many things are limited by Quantum, if my read is correct you need at least 2 for many of the tags to work. Maxing out also enforces going for high quantum, together with tag stacking rules. Low quantum is the weaker option unless you go for low quantum nova

Comment

Originally posted by zorb42 View Post
                      Too many things are limited by Quantum, if my read is correct you need at least 2 for many of the tags to work. Maxing out also enforces going for high quantum, together with tag stacking rules. Low quantum is the weaker option unless you go for low quantum nova
                      You're limited by Quantum in terms of how many times you can stack a tag, yes, but you can have as many 1 pointers as you like and that's a lot; a few more are 2 pointers.

Comment

You're limited by Quantum in terms of how many times you can stack a tag, yes, but you can have as many 1 pointers as you like and that's a lot; a few more are 2 pointers.
                        Which is what I mean. You need quantum at last 2 for 2 pointers and 3 for three-pointers and so on. Also, a lot of the one pointers you want to stack high. Range, duration, piercing.... Even when provided for free the quantum is still the limit, so You want alway want high quantum on chargen, unless building low quantum nova.

Comment

While Quantum 1 is a bit low, more for a Dark Star than a proper Nova, if you rise to quantum 3 you are fine with most of the powers and tags, have a good amount of quantum points and save a good amount of XP for powers and edges. It’s not perfect but it’s balanced.
                          Higher Quantum is better for one shooter and for focused characters (few powers and more dots), or for characters with highly versatile powers, like Transmutation, Transformation and Quantum Imprint.

Comment

Yeah, getting to Q2-3 is an easy investment. They are great if you are willing to gain the points of Transcendence.

Though I agree with Jetstream. I am starting to think that mega-edges should cost less, like around 8 XP per dot. Since many of them already require an investment of Mega- Attributes to acquire.

Another idea I had was that when you purchase a dot of Mega-Attributes you get one free dot to put toward Mega-Edges. This way you can fill in the theme of your character without having to invest so much XP.

Comment

I did a quick look through to see what kinds of powers a Q1 nova could get, and Morph and Shrink are pretty much the only powers you could put more than one dot into. I do like that you can get to Size -4 with Q1, though. Add in Mega-Might 1, and you have a decent Ant-Man.

Comment

Working...
                              X