Let's Build Power Suites

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let's Build Power Suites

The purpose of this thread is three-fold. One, to help me figure out how the hell it actually works to construct one. Two, to let people exercise their creativity. Three, to help provide ideas and assistance to new players and Storyguides.

Here is my first attempt, which I am sure is wrong.

Wonderbolt is a young Nova who can command the winds and rain and storm. He can in particular fly on the winds, conjure weather effects, and shoot lightning bolts.

Wonderbolt's Weather Power

Elemental Mastery (Weather) 3 - 36xp,
    Base: Enviromental Anima 3, +Variable (12 XP)
    Technique - 12xp
    Quantum Attack 3 (Lightning Bolt) (Range 3) + Technique, Electrical (24XP)
    Technique - 12xp
    Flight 3 + Technique (12XP)

Total Cost (Excluding the 32 for Q3) = 108

I think (not sure really) that’s not how techniques work.

That’s the way I understand it works (I may be wrong and you right)

Power Suit (Fire Mastery) have 3 dots and 3 tags + 3 technique tags
    Base Power (Environmental Anima, Heat) 2 dots, Range, Variable and Continuous tag
    Technique 1 (Quantum attack) 2 dots (grant 2 free tags, incendiary), deadly, disintegrating, bean
    Technique 2 (Quantum aura) 2 dots incendiary, deadly
    Technique 3 (Flight) 2 dots and 3 non used tags

Total: Power 108 XP + Quantum 3 (minimum) 24 XP = 132 (18 left)
    Last edited by Mateus Luz; 07-18-2019, 10:13 PM.

Comment

Mateus Luz Where are the 3 tags on Fire Mastery from, did you pay for those? Just trying to track

Comment

Hey Mateus Luz I think you might be missing 12 XP. My math has it go 2 dots (24 XP) + 3 tags (36 XP) + 4 Techniques (48 XP) = 108 + plus one Quantum (16) = 124, equals 24 XP left.

From what I understand every Technique is given the exact same number of usable Power Dots and Tag Slots as the base effect, which forms the core of the power mastery itself. Usable though doesn't mean required, and so a player can go under said amount if they wish for.

Comment

Originally posted by LordHeru View Post
          Hey Mateus Luz I think you might be missing 12 XP. My math has it go 2 dots (24 XP) + 3 tags (36 XP) + 4 Techniques (48 XP) = 108 + plus one Quantum (16) = 124, equals 24 XP left.

From what I understand every Technique is given the exact same number of usable Power Dots and Tag Slots as the base effect, which forms the core of the power mastery itself. Usable though doesn't mean required, and so a player can go under said amount if they wish for.
          Would that then eliminate any "free" tags gained by certain powers, such as Quantum Attack and Quantum Anima?

Comment

Originally posted by tragedyjones View Post

Would that then eliminate any "free" tags gained by certain powers, such as Quantum Attack and Quantum Anima?
            In my opinion no, because they come from Power Dot and that is something you paid for as part of the power theme. So, for example, a Technique based on Quantum Attack would get its free tags. (So in the above case since Quantum Attack 2 gives two free tags that technique has 2 +3. (Which is what he used in his example as well.)

I do have to state, for the record, this is my assumption and that upon further developer commentary I might be wrong.

Comment

You buy 3 tags for the suit and all the techniques and the base power gains 3 tags for free. The only tags that can’t be used like this are the technique tags (not tags from techniques, but the tags named technique).

Comment

Take 2, Gravity Power!

Gravitokinesis - 140XP Total

This creates a Q3 nova, who can fly on debris, allow others to do the same, create Might 4 gravity fields, and have Durability 4 Forcefield that is barely noticeable and able to be shared.
                Quantum 3 - 32 XP
                Elemental Mastery (Gravity) - 3 dots for 36 XP, 3 Tags (36 XP), 3 Techniques (36 XP)

Base Power: Environmental Anima
                Tags: Scale 3 (Free), Smashing, Duration, Grab

Technique 1: Flight
                Tags: Bestow, Surfing, Reduced Cost

Technique 2: Quantum Attack (Gravity Blast)
                Tags: Range 3 (Free), Piercing 1, Subtle 2

Technique 3: Quantum Field
                Tags: Innocuous, 1 Bestow
                Last edited by tragedyjones; 07-18-2019, 08:44 PM.

Comment

Now corrected! Thanks!

Comment

Take 2, Gravity Power!

This creates a Q3 nova, who can fly on debris, allow others to do the same, create Might 4 gravity fields, and have Durability 4 Forcefield that is barely noticeable and able to be shared.
                    Quantum 3 - 32 XP
                    Elemental Mastery (Gravity) - 3 dots for 36 XP, 3 Tags (36 XP), 3 Techniques (36 XP)

Technique 3: Innocuous, 1 Bestow
                    The third technique have no power. But you got it!
                    Just be careful because not all power can reach the same dots according to your quantum.

Comment

The really cool thing about this is nothing stops you from having additional examples of the same Quantum Powers within a single Power Theme. What I mean by this is that you could spend 36 XP to buy three additional Quantum Attack techniques for your Fire Mastery power. One could be melee, one ranged, one area, etc. Same with say two flight, one for short distance and one for quick zooms around the world. Etc.

Soooooooooooo many possibilities.

----

Take 2, Gravity Power!

Quantum 3 - 32 XP

Technique 3: Innocuous, 1 Bestow
                      While I am not sure what Technique 3 is, hehe, the general thing is yeah, I think this works.

As a note the whole Range 3 only works cause your Quantum 3, which is an interesting prerequisite.

Its a pretty nifty power by the way, looks like it would be quite fun.

Comment

Corrected it. The 3rd technique was Quantum Field

Comment

Here's my spacetime controller's Power Suite. I've actually played her in one session of our Aberrant-playtest-that-hopefully-lasts-a-good-long-time game. So far, so good.

Elemental Mastery (spacetime) 3, Base power: Quantum Anima (free: Might Scale 3, Strike), Duration (1: Maintenance), Technique (3)
                          [3 dots for 36 points + 4 tags for 48 points = 84 points]
                          * Technique: Quantum Field 3 (free: Scale 3, Rating 2, Complete, Environmental 1, Soft 2), Technique
                          * Technique: Remote Perception 3, Technique
                          * Technique: Warp 1 (can't be more than Quantum - 2) (free: Clear), Technique

I gave each of the Techniques the Technique tag because, to my reading, the rules require them to have that tag in order to be part of the Power Suite, as opposed to powers that can be swapped for Quantum Anima one at a time. I'm hoping that my interpretation is wrong. I'll be asking about it on the "ask the folks who ought to know" thread next.

Comment

Originally posted by Fortunatus View Post
                            Here's my spacetime controller's Power Suite. I've actually played her in one session of our Aberrant-playtest-that-hopefully-lasts-a-good-long-time game. So far, so good.

I gave each of the Techniques the Technique tag because, to my reading, the rules require them to have that tag in order to be part of the Power Suite, as opposed to powers that can be swapped for Quantum Anima one at a time. I'm hoping that my interpretation is wrong. I'll be asking about it on the "ask the folks who ought to know" thread next.
                            Hears to hoping that you get to play said game for a good long time!

Its a cool set of powers, very nifty, and quite well thought out in what it allows your character to do.

------

On the whole technique thing my thought is that its sort of in a state of unlisted but there. That by buying a technique the power that you bought has it as a slot, but its a slot you can't use as its locked behind the ability to be usable.

So when say "Technique 2 (Quantum aura) 2 dots incendiary, deadly" What we are also saying is "Technique 2 (Quantum aura) 2 dots incendiary, deadly, technique"

But we aren't writing it out because its there. Cause otherwise you aren't spending 12 XP you have to spend 24, 12 for the technique tag and then another 12 for a tag slot that can be used as technique, and that seems a little wasteful.

But all that said this is just my opinion and I could be wrong, though I hope I'm not in the sense of having to spend even more points then we thought was needed.

Comment

On the whole technique thing my thought is that its sort of in a state of unlisted but there. That by buying a technique the power that you bought has it as a slot, but its a slot you can't use as its locked behind the ability to be usable.

So when say "Technique 2 (Quantum aura) 2 dots incendiary, deadly" What we are also saying is "Technique 2 (Quantum aura) 2 dots incendiary, deadly, technique"

But we aren't writing it out because its there. Cause otherwise you aren't spending 12 XP you have to spend 24, 12 for the technique tag and then another 12 for a tag slot that can be used as technique, and that seems a little wasteful.
                              I think of it this way. I'm paying 12 points (definitely not 24) to have another power in a Power Suite. Part of the cost of the privilege of paying only 12 points for a totally new power, complete with dots and built-in tags and maybe even extra tags, is that the power has one less tag than it could have if it were the base power. The "lost" tag is reserved for the Technique tag, which says "I'm part of that power up there". As far as I'm concerned, that's a really good deal.
                              (Note that the base power does not have to include an extra Technique tag.)

The reason I think that's so is because of the last sentence of the Technique tag's description. "The Technique cannot have more dots or power tags than the original power and must include the Technique tag to be part of a Power Suite (p. XX) for that power." (emphasis mine)

The question that arises, then, is what the heck happens if I make a Power Suite with a base power that has no other tags than Technique? Does each of its Techniques then have to drop one of their "free" tags? What if one of those Techniques is Flight, which doesn't include "free" tags? Does the Flight then operate at one less dot?

But all that said this is just my opinion and I could be wrong, though I hope I'm not in the sense of having to spend even more points then we thought was needed.
                              Well, this is all just our various opinions until a dev speaks. And then it becomes house rules. ;p
                              Last edited by Fortunatus; 07-18-2019, 10:06 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X