Let's Build Power Suites

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mateus Luz View Post
    I took a long time to get it in M&M 2e, only when I went thru the example characters that used it. Honestly the “Alternate Power” looked to me a cheat in the game, but it work fine once you learn to use it.

I think the way we were dealing with Techniques before is the correct, and in fact you can pick it multiple times, up to Quantum. The idea is not complex if you think it as a Power Suit that define the number of Dot slots and tag slots, and the technique tag defines the number of techniques you can add.

Think it like a table, you have one base line (base power) with dots and tags cells in that line, the technique tag don’t add a tag cel to the line, add a new entire line to be used.
    I agree with this. It makes sense to limit the number of techniques, without limiting it significantly and seems to feed into the theme you want high quantum nova on chargen, that seems to be going on.

One limitation we seem to have not picked. If you use reflexive and normal(?) action coming from the same suite. You are always performing complex action.

Comment

One comment about limiting techniques by quantum:

If we have a limitation on the quantum, it would be the reason why Novas with high quantum seams to have more powers, or at least a larger variety of powers, while the low quantum novas are more straightforward.

Imagine the bazillion XP for building the powers from Mal, but if they are in a huge power suit (quantum 7 means 8 different powers per suit), you reduce the cost by 8, getting ⅛ of a bazillion... that’s still a lot, BUT it’s 8 times less...

Comment

Originally posted by zorb42 View Post
        One limitation we seem to have not picked. If you use reflexive and normal(?) action coming from the same suite. You are always performing complex action.
        I don’t think so.

“Moreover, while a Power Suite may have multiple effects, using more than one of them at a time in a round counts as a mixed action (p. XX), even if that effect would normally be a reflexive action.”

Notice that it says “using more than one of them at a time” so you need to share the successes between the techniques in use, I would say if you are using flight and quantum attack from the same suit, you need to spend one success to maintain flight active and the rest to fire your attack, but if you are in the ground you can use a technique as a normal power.

Comment

Originally posted by Mateus Luz View Post

I don’t think so.

“Moreover, while a Power Suite may have multiple effects, using more than one of them at a time in a round counts as a mixed action (p. XX), even if that effect would normally be a reflexive action.”

Notice that it says “using more than one of them at a time” so you need to share the successes between the techniques in use, I would say if you are using flight and quantum attack from the same suit, you need to spend one success to maintain flight active and the rest to fire your attack, but if you are in the ground you can use a technique as a normal power.
          Well, yes, that is what I mean. Ehh I forgot to include at the same time.

Comment

There was a comment regarding this as a permanent disadvantage, like if you need to spend a success to switch between the main power and the techniques. That’s why I had to reply.

Comment

Sooo imagine a nova who describes his powers as 'Quantum Sorcery', which lets him create a power theme that has a large number of ad hoc techniques. hehe

I think it would be cool.

That said, related to where things are now, until we see official rules that state it I don't plan on keeping to up to Quantum techniques. I will adopt the whole you must purchase a tag slot so that the techniques in a power can all have the Technique tag though.

Comment

Working...
              X