Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Character Creation encourages early min-max?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Character Creation encourages early min-max?

If I understand Trinity Core right, at character creation I get a free Specialty for each skill at 3, but after character creation I have to spend xp on them?

Doesn't this just encourage players to stack their skills as much as possible.. everyone will just hyper specialize at character creation??

In part that’s the point. You create a character that works well in a team. That’s the same thing for the CP costs that don’t scale up.

Comment

It could be argued that you always get a free one when you hit 3 in an ability, and that additional specialties cost XP. It doesn't say that you don't.

Comment

Robskylor Specialties are nice, but they're not all that. I really didn't bother fishing for them when I made the character I'm currently playing.

Jetstream I like the way you think.

Comment

Originally posted by Fortunatus View Post
          Robskylor Specialties are nice, but they're not all that. I really didn't bother fishing for them when I made the character I'm currently playing.

Jetstream I like the way you think.
          My notion has always been to read ambiguous rules in the most beneficial-to-me way. That's why "Current Rating * X" means the current rating, multiplied by whatever. Not, as a dev once said was intended, "The rating you're currently buying" multiplied by whatever :P

Comment

It's also worth remembering that having a few bad dice pools is actually good for you. Failing rolls is a good way to build Momentum, so more specialized characters (I somewhat reject the min-max concept because it implies a level of optimization that's not really going to matter here) have some low dice pools that are likely to fail around to help them in the long run.

Comment

Jetstream That's a fair point, it is kinda ambiguous about that. I'd be curious to ask a Dev if there's always a free Specialty or not. That's how I might have to run it either way tho.

Heavy Arms I hadn't considered that. I like it. Just started looking into this system, getting my head wrapped around some of the newer concepts.

I acknowledge it's not that big of a deal, I was glad to see that they got rid of the "Current rating" or "next rating" from previous White Wolf games. The nature of the character creation process heavily incentivized a hyper specialized build. Granted I've got a pretty good crew that makes the characters they want rather the most powerful. But it's still poor game design to mechanically punish folks for making well rounded characters.

With Trinity just having dots of the same type cost the same whether it's lvl 2 or lvl 5, it solves that problem. The Specialty thing just stood out to me as the only remnant of the old problem. A minor gripe, only a big deal because it's the only real flaw I see. Kinda like a single scratch on your new car.
              Last edited by Robskylor; 07-21-2019, 12:22 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X