[Aberrant] Super-Speed Defense

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Aberrant] Super-Speed Defense

So, I just noticed that if you make a super-speedster (ala, Flash or Quicksilver) they are just as easily hit as any other person. I think this is a small hole in the game's super-hero emulation.

I'll put this in my official feedback, but I had a couple of ideas that could sure up this issue without breaking the core of the game.

1st idea: A two or three-point Edge that allows a character to roll the lower of their Cunning or Dexterity when making a Defense roll.

2nd idea: A Mega-Edge that has the prerequisite of Mega-Dexterity that increases your Defense Scale by your dots in Mega Dexterity.

The Mega-Edge is important because it emulates the unearthly reaction time and precision of a super-speedster. If a modification needed to make for the second one, it could be along the lines of idea one and have the scale only increase by the lower of the character's mega-dexterity or mega-cunning.

Thoughts?

I like the Pretercognition mega-edge. It's simple and effective. If you want to power it up a bit more, maybe allow spending a point of Quantum to make the increase cost to Inflict Damage on the nova equal to their Mega-Dex or Mega-Cunning scale.

Comment

Oh it is good. It helps with a certain flavor of superhero. Just don't work for what I am seeing as a difficency.

Comment

In core it was a bit of mental shift in that Storypath Dexterity isn't a 1:1 to old Storyteller Dexterity, and that some of the capabilities we attribute (snicker) to Dex are shared among the Resilience Traits, although I would like to see more support for Dex in Edges or Skill Tricks. Even the "Precise Martial Arts" Edges can use Close Combat instead of Dex, so it seems to have little impact on one's hand to hand combat abilities.

That gets a bit strained when Super Speed comes into play.

I don't think it should be a straight Scale Application, and should probably require quantum like the Mega-Dex Attack Edge does.

Raksha are my fae-vorite.

Reincarnation of magnificentmomo.

Comment

The speedster himself get a enhancement on his defence when running equals to his speed scale.

I will sugest a edge to add to defence, like Mega-Dodge or something, 1 to 5 dots limited to his Mega Dexterity dots.

Comment

Mateus, Where is the speedster getting the bonus to defense from running? Did I miss something in the rules?

Comment

Originally posted by Bioagent View Post
              Oh it is good. It helps with a certain flavor of superhero. Just don't work for what I am seeing as a difficency.
              Firstly Mega dexterity does not have anything to do with speed. it is being supernaturally agile, not quick. You want to do it something it explicitly isnt.

What you see as deficiency is also superhero staple. Speedsters are not immune to being hit at all and often are significantly more prone to it. This simulates traditional superhero genre perfectly.

All of your solutions have same issue. They make game mostly unplayable Giving free scale without limit to defense is a bad idea. Being megas they are inherent and thus cannot be countered, are cheap and do not have meintenance and lack counter unlike powers, which are explicitly counterable. Easy acess to defensive scale, without counter and with other benefits creates the same trap as exalted perfects. Battle must be shaped accordingly and perfect trap is present.

Fot it to work. It must Be power and never edge, so you can pull limits and disrupton in easily.

Comment

Mateus, Where is the speedster getting the bonus to defense from running? Did I miss something in the rules?
                When they talk about scale they are not just talking about size and durability, but also scale, and it’s said more than once that scale can impact on defence and even make impossible to hit the target at all.

On Trinity they didn’t put it in details, but its implied that the higher scale grant some scale enhancements on defence. More than once devs have commented that it work as described in Scion, where the defence gains 1 enhancement per scale.

Notice that it apply just when the guy is running, not when he is standing and avoiding to be hit.

Comment

Originally posted by MoroseMorgan View Post
                  ...the "Precise Martial Arts" Edges can use Close Combat instead of Dex...
                  I goofed. It is CC AND Dex for the Precise Martial Arts Edges, so there is a precedent for Edges allowing Dex to contribute to Defense.

So we have some precedent, and then there is the Mega-Edge Rapid Strike that boosts Attacks, so I think there is a case for it. But it shouldn't be Scale, or at least 1 to 1 Scale. MMight giving combat scale always on for no cost is kinda warping. Still working through how that shakes down, and also really makes me question if MStam is supposed to actually work as defensive Scale, or if that was a holdover in the MMight entry.

Raksha are my fae-vorite.

Reincarnation of magnificentmomo.

Comment

My original idea would be that the mega-edge just adds 1e per Mega-Dex dot to Defense Rolls.

I can see Defensive Scale getting so big as to not be able to hit a character. Which is frustrating.

Comment

The idea of using Cunning to increase the defence is not bad. Actually is as good as Dexterity, dodging is as much detecting the attack as it is taking the body out of the way.

But I still prefere the reverse of Accuracy in the defence.

Comment

My original idea would be that the mega-edge just adds 1e per Mega-Dex dot to Defense Rolls.

I can see Defensive Scale getting so big as to not be able to hit a character. Which is frustrating.
                        Agility (• to •••••)
                        Prerequisite: Mega-Dexterity or Mega-Cunning equal to dots
                        The nova’s grace and speed from Mega-Dexterity applies to avoid being hit as well. For each dot in Agility, the nova gains 1 Enhancement on defensive rolls.

Comment

Yup, that is basically what I wanted to create. I think it would be a solid edition with getting the idea of a super-speedster across.

Comment

My thought on this (nothing official, just trying to conceptualize) is that you roll for Defense when attacked. You roll a resistance trait (Composure, Stamina, Resolve) and add it to your base Defense of 1 (assuming you are using it all to purchase the Dodge Stunt). At super speed (meaning you've bought the Mega-Speed Edge, not that you have Mega-Dexterity), you are literally attempting to dodge the attack. I could definitely see your SG giving your Speed Scale as an advantage to that roll to add Enhancement as long as you use that Enhancement for the Dodge Stunt. That would then really depend on what you're dodging. A swung sword is likely only Speed Scale 1, meaning you are going to start adding Enhancement at Speed Scale 2 and just dodge the shit out of it at Speed Scale 4 or higher. A speeding bullet is more likely Speed Scale 5 (based on a quick google search and comparing it to say a fighter jet), which means that to dodge that sucker, you're going to need to have at least Speed Scale 6 to even start adding Enhancement to your roll for being faster than the bullet.

That said, another way to think about how speedsters just aren't there to be hit is in Range Bands. A speedster can move 2 Range Bands for every 1 someone without a Speed Scale bump can. So you can outdistance your opponent who is trying to punch you without even breaking a sweat.

Danielle Lauzon, Requiem Developer, Storypath Guru, freelance writer

Comment

Makes a lot of sense.

This is one thing scales do to the game, they apply almost every time, but every once in a while the lower scale attacker can avoid the scale difference using some tactics, hitting a soft spot of a big target, hitting the speedster while he cans dodge, things like that.
                              That’s a good reason to not have a fixed rule as Scale always add 1 to defence.

The idea of dodging bullets requiring higher scale I don’t know if it’s a requirement. The guy aiming is not as fast as the bullet, so if you are aware of the guy shooting you could sidestep just in time, not requiring outrun the bullet.
                              If you have no space to sidestep and need to outrun it, than you must be fast.

Comment

Working...
                              X