No announcement yet.

Crafting scale and odd enhancements ...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crafting scale and odd enhancements ...

Welp, might as well start asking questions, since I have what feels about a thousand of them. Crafting is kind of the most opaque for me right now though, so here are som starters if someone understands this better than me:

(the items are the the crafting examples from preview 4, page 18-ish)

1) Does the different grades of super-science actually grant scale? How does that work with Q-tech?
    1b) If it doesn't, is there any difference between Core-tech and Nova-tech apart from its manufacture?

2) In the gadget examples, there is a Teleportation Device (with rank 4). It has an enhancement of 1. What does the enhancement do? Teleport doesn't use a dice pool (unless impose-ing, but the suit doesn't seem to do that). Heck, Size Changing Suit has an enhancement of 5, what does that do?

3) The gadget belt is like a ... tool belt? Or is it like a holster that lets you draw and handle 'gadgets' (other super-science creations?) super-fast?

Also... Yikes(!) on the committed Quantum point cost. Like, 15-20 points to activate a rank 5 device? I guess thats the balance vs utility.

It feels like I need more in depth examples. Either that or this is Borgstromancy all over again. Like, there is an underlying elegant simplicity that, if I just see it, makes everything so simple and understandable. But right now ... I don't see it.
    Hmm, might just be me though.

1) No... well... probably no...
    1b) Only a Nova can build Nova-atech, but anyone can build Core-tech, once the project was done by a Nova first time.

2) As I understand, the enhancement is kind of obligatory, even when useless...

3) Tool belt. You can have a bunch of modules that you exchange around of screen.

Comment

Hey, thanks for chiming in! =)

1. Yeah, it seems that was more an initial idea they left in. If Core-tech can be replicated by humans and it gets +1 scale ... wouldn't pretty much everything a Nova ever worked on be scale +1 10 years after N-day?
      1b) Yea ... but if you buy artefact 5. Is it Core-tech or Nova-tech? But wait ... core-tech is 'everyone can do it tech'? Hmm, I'm mixing something up.
      Three levels of supers-science? May not correspond to Core-tech, nova-tech and Q-tech?
      Sooooo... artefact 5 is like nova-tech OR Q-tech. Q-tech being balanced by the fact it must be attuned to. Core-tech need not apply?

2) Yea... Or it's like... resistance to damage and other weird rolls?

3) Yeah... the tool belt is the only item that isn't Q-tech on the list though. I suppose the modules could be nova (or even regular) tech?

Comment

Wait ... a Rank 2 Q-tech item gives you ... 3 style edge dots? I'm SO missing something.

I guess I'd better stop posting and read through the document a few more times before I ask more questions.

Comment

You can have a Core, Nova or Q-tech tech item bought with the Artefact, Armory and Wondrous item, so you CAN have tech items without the Q-tech mega edge. But you can’t get an item of rank 7 or more (6 is possible using Wondrous item).

That’s why you can have Quantum + Q-tech + Technologist ranks of q-tech items not just the ones bought with Q-tech Mega-edge.

Comment

Originally posted by Gammelbraxen View Post
            Hey, thanks for chiming in! =)

1. Yeah, it seems that was more an initial idea they left in. If Core-tech can be replicated by humans and it gets +1 scale ... wouldn't pretty much everything a Nova ever worked on be scale +1 10 years after N-day?
            1b) Yea ... but if you buy artefact 5. Is it Core-tech or Nova-tech? But wait ... core-tech is 'everyone can do it tech'? Hmm, I'm mixing something up.
            Three levels of supers-science? May not correspond to Core-tech, nova-tech and Q-tech?
            Sooooo... artefact 5 is like nova-tech OR Q-tech. Q-tech being balanced by the fact it must be attuned to. Core-tech need not apply?

2) Yea... Or it's like... resistance to damage and other weird rolls?

3) Yeah... the tool belt is the only item that isn't Q-tech on the list though. I suppose the modules could be nova (or even regular) tech?
            1. Tables in core refer to the talents creating things, aberrant refers to Novas. They do not correspond quite directly. Core tech is advanced science, but NOva teach includes both advanced and inspired tier by description(it includes both items that need nova as exotic materials, but no participation of Nova otherwise and those "created" by nova, which can be used by everyone), while Quantum tech is powered science. It is not exactly one to one ratio.

There seems that in context of Nova science Nova tech is something you get when you move a device from Q-tech to Core tech as an intermediary step. This is the clearest case how you create nova tech and it makes sense.

Artifact can be anything, but you must pay dots equal in rank, so it cannot have bigger rank than 5, an exception is a wondrous item.

2) My guess is, that it is here for stunting.

3) The gadget belt does not have modules. it is simply belt conferring said bonuses. It is simply not Q-tech. it is simply a high tech belt. Its Complexity Scale does not go above 2

Comment

Tl;dr: I think attunement costs are too high, because it means Tony Stark has to start the game with Q5 and can’t build anything else.

I think that attunement costs might be too high. I can see why the system exists as is, but I think they might be too high to produce the desired reaction.

As is, the system is set up such that a halfway competent Super Inventor can pump out Rank 3 Q-Tech Zap Guns with little difficulty, which is something that would probably be good to discourage. So, the Inventor has to attune to a Q-tech gadget when they build it. And, if anyone else wants to use it, they also have to attune it.

Which, isn’t a bad idea, I think. There are lots of builds that don’t really use quantum points per se or don’t really need many of them, so having a chunk of your points gone to provide extra powers is a fair trade.

However, currently Q-Tech items cost (Rank*2) to attune and (Rank) to activate. Which means that Rank 3 Zap Gun I mentioned before costs 9 points before you can use it to shoot someone. A Q3 Nova starts with 25 quantum points and the gun costs 2 to fire, so that’s 8 shots. Which...yeah, ok, that’s fair. If you bought Q Attack normally you’d have about 10 shots and 5 points extra for Flight and stuff, so that works ok, provided the Nova with the Zap Gun doesn’t have any other powers that need Quantum Points.

Things become more difficult when you decide you want to play Iron Man. The example “psudo-Iron Man” suit in the book is a Rank 7 item. It grants Q Attack 1, Flight 1, Mega Might 3, and Mega Dexterity 1. Because of the way Mega attributes are installed in Q-Tech, Mega Might costs 2 points to activate and Mega Dex costs 1. So getting your Fight and Mega Atts active costs 5 points. On top of the 14 for attunement and 7 for activation, so that’s a total of 26 points, which means you need to be Q4 at minimum to be able to activate all the functions of this armor and fire the guns twice. At Q5 you would be able to fire the guns 4 times, which is about the limit of what you can buy at chargen. There are ways to save a couple of points there, but not much.

Alternately, you could build your own Rank 5 armor, which between attunement and activation will cost you 15 points. As long as you don’t add too many things that cost points on it, you could afford to wear that as a Q3, maybe even a Q2 Nova.

And then, because of the Modular tag, you can swap out the powers of your main combat system and it doesn’t cost you any extra points or xp or anything, which sounds like it should all work fine, right?

Yes ...except that, because an inventor has to attune any Q-Tech item they make, which we’ve already agreed is a good idea, if they try to build any other Q-Tech items, they’re very likely locking themselves out of the ability to actually activate either item. Assuming it’s not actually impossible.

And, if a Nova inventor wants to go and use the Changing the Paradigm rules, where you convert Q-Tech into Nova Tech or Core Tech, then they have to be able to build more than one major Q-Tech item at a time. If you want to have that plot where the bad guy breaks into the inventor’s house and steals the new super secret thing they were working on, they need to be able to build more than one Q-Tech item at a time.

Comment

Yes, it costs too much to use any Q-Tech, but it’s possible to build Novatech for that end.
                Let’s use MCU Tony as reference as we have a shorter sequence of events than 1973-Now.
                Mach 1 armor is created, it’s a Q-tech with some core (or even less) itens attached to it (naming, flamethower and guns). It was destroyed, so it’s ok.
                Mach 2 armor is it was a long series of tests and inventions of the several pieces of tech. Notice that the flight and the hand cannons are techniques of each other. It has several limitations, so he just drop it and build a new one.
                Mach 3 armor is a q-tech with all the powers listed (make some of them techniques to make it cheaper.
                From that one until Ironman 2 suit it’s all Novatech

Comment

Originally posted by BrilliantRain View Post
                  Tl;dr: I think attunement costs are too high, because it means Tony Stark has to start the game with Q5 and can’t build anything else.
                  Have you submitted your analysis via the feedback form?

Writer. Developer. World of Darkness | Chronicles of Darkness | The Trinity Continuum

Comment

Originally posted by Bunyip View Post

Have you submitted your analysis via the feedback form?
                    I was just about to.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilliantRain View Post

I was just about to.
                      Great. That’s where it’s most likely to be considered.

Writer. Developer. World of Darkness | Chronicles of Darkness | The Trinity Continuum

Comment

Working...
                      X