Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The KS not even yet done, and yet I feel compelled to invent Aberrant houserules

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The KS not even yet done, and yet I feel compelled to invent Aberrant houserules

Since we have most of the manuscript now, I feel like it's okay to talk about tweaks someone might make for their own game. Here's a few I've thought of:

The aforementioned "allow novas to buy psi powers" one for games less interested in the Trinity Continuum as it is, and wanting something a little bit closer to a 'classic' supers game.

Chrysalis: it's actually kind of janky now, compared to the way it was completely overpowered in 1e provided you saved up a big chunk of XP. There's two rules I've considered for it; one I'm fairly certain I'm going to use, the other is just spitballing.

The certain one is "When you raise Flux to 10 and fall into Chrysalis, if you buy a dot of Quantum or a 'cheap' power that would give you Transcendence, you can have that dot of Transcendence count as the one you'd gain from being at 10 Flux." I wouldn't want to go all the way to the optional four-color rule that lets you dodge the Transcendence completely, but otherwise a Teras going into Chrysalis is likely to gain *at least* two dots; one from buying up Quantum, another for just falling into it. This may be intended, but I don't care for it.

The less certain one is to mimic the way you could 'buy down' Taint in 1e by permitting someone to 'buy off' Transcendence gained by buying Nova traits on the cheap. This would be accomplished by buying the dot 'again', at full price. You'd be spending more XP in the long term, but that was your choice in trying to take the fast road to begin with. This would not remove transformations (and probably not remove the social penalty with baselines, to keep with the 1e take).

Any others from anyone else, or comments on these?

Here are some House rules that bring elements of first edition back to 2nd.
    http://forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/m...-1e-conversion

Including Mateus Luz’s version of Node and my efforts for bringing back Weaving and Vampiric Eufiber from 1st ed APG, and my version of a slight change in Chrysalis to bring it closer towards 1st edition, without making it OP hopefully. Afterall, atleast for me, the main function of Chrysalis always was to allow you to shed Permanent Taint so your character is not removed from the game and secondarily to keep your character somewhat sane and its aberrations in line with your vision of your character.

Comment

I am using the following house rules (a few ones waiting the Devs response), I will test this in my next game:

Mega-Attributes

Mega-Resolve: Dots equal to its rating to distribute among the following edges: Always Prepared, Danger Sense, Iron Will and Speed Reading.

Mega-Edges

General: Each Mega-Attribute dot allows you to buy, at half the normal cost, a dot in a Mega-Edge requiring the same Mega-Attribute (Example: If you have two dots in Mega-Intellect, you can buy two dots, costing only 6 Experience, in Mega-Edge having Mega-Intellect as prerequisite).

Digital Manipulation: Single level, cost 1 dot.

Perfectionist: Single level, cost 1 dot, use Mega-Intellect level instead of Mega-Edge level.

Resourceful: Single level, cost 1 dot, use Mega-Cunning level instead of Mega-Edge level.

Slow Aging: Single level, cost 1 dot, use Mega-Stamina level instead of Mega-Edge level, each dot in Mega-Stamina halves the pace of aging.

Technology

Initial Tech: Following the information in Trinity Continuum CORE page 92 ("A mundane character may have up to twice her Wealth rating in Ranks of Advanced Science items. Talents may have up to twice their Wealth rating plus their Inspiration. Their devices can be a combination of Advanced and Inspired items. Devices bought with the character’s Artifact Edge do not count toward this limit."), all Novas can have up twice her Wealth rating plus your Quantum in Core-Tech and Nova-Tech equipments.

Q-Tech, Starting: A Nova having Q-Tech Mega-Edge start a total ranks in Q-Tech items equal (Quantum + Q-Tech + Technologist), in the future I think in limit the maximum individual Q-Tech rank.

Q-Tech, Exotic Materials: Each exotic material ignored generates a extra complication equal to Q-Tech device rank. The same applies to Nova-Tech.

Q-Tech, Maximum Enhancement & Edge/Quantum Powers Dots: In the manuscript preview 4, page 8 says: "As with the normal super science rules, Rank 1 and 2 items can have their maximum number of Enhancements and Edges without increasing the item’s Rank, whereas the player can choose how to combine Enhancements and Edges for items of Rank 3 and above, to a maximum not exceeding the Enhancement rating for the item’s Rank." Studing the few examples in the page 18, I use the following rule: The total points in Q-Tech is the Enhancement Maximum + Maximum Quantum Powers dots, but the Enhancement still limited by Enhancement Maximum.

Q-Tech, Crafting Cost: A Nova commit only 1 Quantum Point per rank to create a Q-Tech item. The Experience cost is not clear yet, but until an official answer comes out, any Q-Tech builded in-game will cost 3 Experience per Rank, minus (Quantum + Technologist), minimum of 1 Experience per rank.

Comment

I don't exactly know how I want to implement it but the ideas that I'm contemplating are:

* Add a nova Edge that would provide a nova with additional points of Quantum.

* Add a nova Edge that would remove the requirement that one gains Transcendence at Quantum 4+.

* Increase the flow of Flux bleed off. Remove the need to pretend to not be a nova.

* Implement some sort of Transcendence bleed off. Whether this is based on time and not using powers or based on XP buying I don't know yet.

* Find a way to give a list of five Edges to each Mega-Attribute that can be gained based on its dot rating. This is up in the air but I like the way that it represents the nature of the nova.

* Provide a Mega-Edge cost reduction based on Mega-Attribute rating.

* Modify how Body Modification Mega-Edge works. Probably reduce cost or something.

* Some of the other Mega-Edges need some minimum changes and dot modifications.

* Return the possibility for novas to have those mental powers and precognition powers.

* The Warp power needs some modification, maybe add a roll to it, but I will be removing the time factor involved.

Comment

Originally posted by LordHeru View Post
          * The Warp power needs some modification, maybe add a roll to it, but I will be removing the time factor involved.
          I expect that Warp is supposed to have a roll. Under the "Interstellar Warp Distances" section, Warping is a Complex Action with milestones to be met, along with a cumulative +1 Complication imposed on each milestone after the first. That seems strange for a power with no dice pool, unless the implication is that it relies on some Skill + Attribute combination.

Comment

My understanding of Warp is the need of navigation, the rolls are Science or Enigma + Intellect.

It’s described in the Space Travel in chapter 3

Comment

i am planning on a House Rule for Transformations on lower Transcendence, so you can build Hulk with no need of Transcendence 8.
              Transcendence don’t give you automatic transformations, instead just turn you became more distant, cause some weirdness on baselines and increase your quantum Instability (receiving all the complications and following the rules as described for quantum instability).
              You can get a Transformation, gains some XP and 1 point of Transcendence. A low level Transformation gives 8 XP, mid level Transformation gives 12 XP and a high level transformation gives 16 XP.
              If you raise your Transcendence because of Flux, you can get a minor Transformation and XP according, or no transformation at all.
              You can’t buy transcendent Nova traits, just exchange Transcendence for XP.

Chrysalis allow you to enter exchange your transformations and add some transformations for free (no Transcendence but no XP). Also allow to raise powers and quantum without Maxing Out, but only during the Chrysalis.

High Transcendence is not the target from Teragen, but it’s not totally wrong in their eyes, I mean, they can still interact between them with no complications, and they don’t care much about baselines anyway. Also, they don’t know when they turn NPC, actually all of them are NPCs except our characters, so T10 is not THAT bad...
              Last edited by Mateus Luz; 07-31-2019, 08:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mateus Luz View Post
                My understanding of Warp is the need of navigation, the rolls are Science or Enigma + Intellect.

It’s described in the Space Travel in chapter 3
                Yes, that's the section I referenced. That section specifically states that a Difficulty 4 Science or Enigma + Intellect roll lets you make the ends of the warp so small that they aren't likely to be noticed. It says nothing about actual navigation of the warp, though Science or Enigma + Intellect would make sense. So, too, might Resolve for maintaining focus throughout the journey.

Comment

Maybe its just me, maybe I'm old fashioned or something, but I like to think that the rules for using Warp should be in the section for Warp. To me the way to go about doing it is that Warp requires a roll, with successes being spent to indicate how far one goes. Tags can be bought to increase the range multipler and other factors. That to me seems the simplest.

I'd rather combine the Warp roll and the navigation roll together as a roll to achieve success.

Comment

Originally posted by LordHeru View Post
                    Maybe its just me, maybe I'm old fashioned or something, but I like to think that the rules for using Warp should be in the section for Warp.
                    Amen to that!

I expect that the intention is that there's no Warp roll at all, and that the navigation roll is only needed for traveling interstellar distances. Would that the preliminary rules were clear on the issue. Hopefully, the final product will be.

Comment

A condition to make nova lives more interesting. Mostly probably seen as detrimental, although some terats may actually seek to impose this condition on themselves.

Probably not necessary if you just want a visually interesting nova (I'd think that is just fluff, and provides no penalties unless you wish it to), but this is a condition with both pros and cons.

Condition: Early Transformation
                      The character has begun exhibiting permanent Quantum flux transformations even though his actual Transcendence need not be that high (it may even be 0). Choose one or more quantum transformations that the character from now on permanently displays.

Cons: The character gains a complication 1 as normal for transformations. If the character also has a social complication from high transcendence they stack ONLY if the transformation(s) from this condition is somehow relevant (to whatever the situation is).

Pros: These 'faux' transformation will in time become the characters 'real' ones. Whenever the character gains transformations, wether from quantum instability or high transcendence, these transformations take up those 'slots'. Transformations permanently gained from high transcendence disappears from this condition.

Resolution: If the character gains all quantum transformations from this condition as a result of increasing transcendence the condition resolves itself. The condition may (ask your storyteller) also resolve itself if the character gains greater control over his nature as a nova, ie raises his quantum or gains a power that allows for self-transformations. Finally, if this condition stems from a psychological block or similar (perhaps from a bad experience with Quantum Instability, representing that the changes just won't go away even though flux goes down) then this condition may go away after counseling or some sort of mental resolve.

Comment

Here is a collection of custom rules that I made. The document and I are open to comments and feedback. Enjoy!

Google Link

Comment

Nice rules, not sure if I would use all of them, first because I don’t think the scales should stack (just too much), but some are my opinion too.

Now one option I think may make people worry less about Transcendence. Instead of Quantum ADDING Transcendence, the character have a MINIMUM Transcendence value according to their Quantum value.
                          So if you have Q4 and T2, when you get Q5 you will not get any Transcendence, but if you get Q6 you gain 1 extra (minimum 3) that can be get from buying a Nova trait as usual.
                          It’s an incentive to gain Transcendence because you will get it anyway, and at same time won’t make your character unplayable before it reach a higher Quantum.

Comment

I'm thinking that I'd probably reduce Q-Tech's attunement to one point per rank. I'd also remove the restriction on the Modular tag to only allow powers to swap in for powers, mega-edges for mega edges, etc. If you want to play old school batman and have a utility belt of gadgets that you can swap out by spending time in your cave, I don't really see the problem in letting you drop the detective kit so you can grab the bat-plane. Provided they're the same rank and have the modular tag, of course. We don't want to get silly now.

I'd probably also allow the Nova Inventor to have a piece of "off screen Q-Tech" that they can work on without attuning, provided the device is not meant for use on screen. By which I mean, Tony Stark can totally continue doing Arc Reactor research without having to attune to it, because that's just company stuff and he needs to get it rebuilt down to Core-Tech if he wants to mass produce it anyway, but if he wants new Iron Man Armor, that's gonna need to be a new Module or he's gonna have to attune it, The reason for this is that many inventors are working to change the world here so it'd be nice for PC inventors to be able to get in on that....and it sets up a nice plot where Kuro-Tek runs off with the prototype or the patent lawyer/main investor screws you out of royalties/credit and now you have to hire She Hulk or Matthew Murdoch to sue them. Or, hell, they do finally get that world changing device perfected and start mass producing it. What happens now? Lots of story potential there.

Comment

Originally posted by Mateus Luz View Post
                              Nice rules, not sure if I would use all of them, first because I don’t think the scales should stack (just too much), but some are my opinion too.

Now one option I think may make people worry less about Transcendence. Instead of Quantum ADDING Transcendence, the character have a MINIMUM Transcendence value according to their Quantum value.
                              So if you have Q4 and T2, when you get Q5 you will not get any Transcendence, but if you get Q6 you gain 1 extra (minimum 3) that can be get from buying a Nova trait as usual.
                              It’s an incentive to gain Transcendence because you will get it anyway, and at same time won’t make your character unplayable before it reach a higher Quantum.
                              I do kind of like that, since otherwise buying 'tainted' dots is a barrier to how high your quantum can go... which may be intended but it seems silly to have a mechanic nobody will use unless they absolutely must.

Comment

Working...
                              X