Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The KS not even yet done, and yet I feel compelled to invent Aberrant houserules

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am having a big issue with Mega-Crush, Mega-Lift and Boost. First the scale climbs out of scale too fast with 150 XP and not breaking the charges rules you can build a Scale 12 Might by spending 7 Quantum, enough to break the Earth, I want to play Aberrant and not Dragon Ball.

My suggestion:
    MLift and MCrush add enhancements and not scales to the Might test when used, basically 1 enhancement per Quantum spent on the proper tests.
    Boost add Attribute dots up to 7, and beyond that point add just Enhancements and not scale too.

What do you think?

Comment

Why don't you just cap Scale at whatever you're comfortable with in your game? If you don't want DBZ, cap scale somewhere between 5 and 7. If you really want to keep things lower-powered, cap Scale to the highest Quantum in the group. I wouldn't do it individually, since that can setup some really big power discrepancies.

Comment

Originally posted by Florin View Post
        Why don't you just cap Scale at whatever you're comfortable with in your game? If you don't want DBZ, cap scale somewhere between 5 and 7. If you really want to keep things lower-powered, cap Scale to the highest Quantum in the group. I wouldn't do it individually, since that can setup some really big power discrepancies.
        Your idea is not bad, actually it can work easier. But I don't want to block the character creation limits. I want hulk capable of doing crazy stuff when angry, I just don’t want it to go crazy too fast.

Comment

Originally posted by Mateus Luz View Post

Your idea is not bad, actually it can work easier. But I don't want to block the character creation limits. I want hulk capable of doing crazy stuff when angry, I just don’t want it to go crazy too fast.
          Creation already caps Quantum at 5, otherwise you could theoretically start with Quantum 10 and automatically ascend. Maybe you can allow Maxing Out to bypass the scale cap?

Comment

Originally posted by Florin View Post

Creation already caps Quantum at 5, otherwise you could theoretically start with Quantum 10 and automatically ascend. Maybe you can allow Maxing Out to bypass the scale cap?
            Max out can go beyond quantum limit anyway (at least that's what I understand). That is very Hulk.

The other option is limit MLift and MCrush to 1 quantum point spend, so it would be only one scale up. I need to test yet.

On Boost those 2 extra dots in baseline Attribute would help to hold the scale to a bit more manageable (keeping the increased scale). Exchanging the scale increase by a enhancement would have 2 results, first it would boost all the attribute uses, not only the uses related to MAtt, at same time the bonus would be reduced to half (1 enhancement and not 2). The only issue would be on the Narrative scale, as the visual effect would not increase too much (what can be a good thing).

Comment

Main house rule i’m fidddling with is one that mediates Flux via the Bonds system with Baselines, with no inherent requirement to limit your power usage (though Maxing Out will still generates Flux) or gaslight anyone by pretending to be Baseline.

The idea is to capture the important role a superhero’s supporting cast plays in the genre, and how losing those connections results in loss of anchoring humanity. Basically the idea that Lois, the Daily Planet, Ma and Pa Kent, etc is what keeps Superman Clark and stopping him from going Doctor Manhattan - but playing that out with the relationships themselves rather than mechanically emphasizing not using the cool powers you spent xp on, or gaslighting anyone.

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

The idea of keeping your self human solves the flux is the best option for me, and I would use it (ignoring the pretending to be baseline, and focusing on human relationship with other humans)

My issue with Transcendence was the same from 1e, once you have transcendence higher than quantum you can't go too far on quantum, its not about "winning the game by reaching Q10" it's about possibilities. Without this rule, a character like Leviathan or Sloppy Joe is limited to the amount of quantum he can reach before stop advancing or becoming a crazy unstable monstrosity. Without the rules for transforming Transcendence into Chrysalis, they would be among the least powerful (I mean, Sloppy Joe is pretty weak, but... you got it) Novas in the Teragen before Aberrant War. Thats why I like the idea of Quantum establishing a minimum Transcendence, not adding Transcendence.

Comment

As an aside (this is more setting than mechanics) since I’m working on a system that by its nature won’t encourage secret identities like the current system options do, I’m adding an Allegiance that’s big into them for social reasons. Think Cap’s side of Civil War - Nova heroes who reject official regulation, who see themselves as human unlike Teragen, but don’t want to be subject to Utopia-backed (or in some extreme cases - due process) restrictions on what they can do, so they often have to maintain some anonymity for legal reasons.

The 2028 likely Republican nominee who is targeting pro-Nova anti-Utopia sentiment has all but explicitly endorsed them (meanwhile the Dem VP is seen as the pro-Utopia candidate, and the Far Right is splintering off with a Church of Michael Archangel backed candidate).
                  Last edited by glamourweaver; 08-06-2019, 05:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by glamourweaver View Post
                    As an aside (this is more setting than mechanics) since I’m working on a system that by its nature won’t encourage secret identities like the current system options do, I’m adding an Allegiance that’s big into them for social reasons. Think Cap’s side of Civil War - Nova heroes who reject official regulation, who see themselves as human unlike Teragen, but don’t want to be subject to Utopia-backed (or in some extreme cases - due process) restrictions on what they can do, so they often have to maintain some anonymity for legal reasons.
                    Thats indeed one thing that miss in the setting, a Nova team, like a Justice League, no humans on top of the novas, but that still want to keep themselves as humans in the society.

Teragen occupy all the other side, Novas that want to be more than simple humans, both for operating like a Pantheon or operating as single gods.

Comment

Originally posted by Mateus Luz View Post

Thats indeed one thing that miss in the setting, a Nova team, like a Justice League, no humans on top of the novas, but that still want to keep themselves as humans in the society.

Teragen occupy all the other side, Novas that want to be more than simple humans, both for operating like a Pantheon or operating as single gods.
                      Thing is, the Justice League as portrayed in DC canon would never be tolerated in a relatively more realistic setting - the line between them and the Authority being based on nothing but faith in their restraint. So this faction (which i’m tentatively calling Vigilance) has to work much more underground than that, while Utopia’s got the whole “Hall of Justice”/“Watchtower” aesthetic going in their nice government sanctioned role.

Comment

Originally posted by glamourweaver View Post

Thing is, the Justice League as portrayed in DC canon would never be tolerated in a relatively more realistic setting - the line between them and the Authority being based on nothing but faith in their restraint. So this faction (which i’m tentatively calling Vigilance) has to work much more underground than that, while Utopia’s got the whole “Hall of Justice”/“Watchtower” aesthetic going in their nice government sanctioned role.
                        True, more like a collective doing their jobs under radar. Vigilance is a good idea for a name.

Comment

Some thoughts for my games.

Telepathy, dominate and what not are back in. I’ve never been a huge fan of white wolf/OP spreading out this can do that better and these guys can do this better. Feels to much like classes and almost all of my players, self included, like being wide spread and feeling like we are chronically missing out on something. It changes from “maybe next time I’ll play that” to “wow, one tweak and I’ve found my forever thing I like to play.” Mind you we still keep those things not as good as XYorZ, but we also don’t just cut them out because every thing needs to be a special little psi muffin.

Warp time is out. I know way to much on physics and how the powers are said to work and they fundamentally clash. I’ll just use targeting roles and travel distance system like 1e.

Powers will use stat plus power rating bs Q+PR. As Q+PR they completely lose access to enhancements from scale on megas. Without masteries it feels like some aspects of powers have been severely under powered. Such as the transformation power. Even at Q9 PR 5 14 dice with +1 for complex items +1 for every scale +1 for creating matter gets you quickly to not impressive at high levels where before you could snap a planner into existence, if just a big rock with simple building blocks for life, vs maybe You can make a nice statue out of a few metals. I’ll also be changing creating matter to +1 QP vs successes.

Bodymods will only be 6 xp and wings will allow flight at speed 1, at least. Otherwise as it sits now you can not use a shape shift power to turn into a bird and actually fly as fly is not a listed power. As well as dispersed organs will be back.

Weave will be back.

As well as some kind of quantum recover edge and a bigger quantum pool.

Need to work out how to bring back biomanipulation where you could permanently alter people as well. I like the idea of being able to up people’s stats, mostly baselines, however ether way I’ll make players pay off stats with half all xp going to stay buy off till they are paid for.

I have a small issue with the speed scale. It seems limited compared to damage and defense. Scale six damage is nuke, scale six strength is a mountain, scale six speed is 2k - 6k max. It just seems to ramp up slow and not end at a comic book level of speed for even starting characters. I know scale ranks are not set numbers and what not but as is they mention ideas so they kind of are.

That’s the stuff I remember off the top of my head. I need to sift back through the rules and powers and edges to create a hard list but I’ll wait for the final draft after the first few rounds if errata and fixes before I do heavy system lifting to make sure I don’t do work for nothing as things can still change some what.

Comment

Powers don’t need mega-attribute scale bonuses. Any power that could benefit from scale gets its own scale, usually based upon how many dots you have in it.

Comment

Originally posted by Jetstream View Post
                              Powers don’t need mega-attribute scale bonuses. Any power that could benefit from scale gets its own scale, usually based upon how many dots you have in it.
                              I would disagree dealing with Transmute. That power is under powered without enhancement from mega atts. Most powers are however creating a laptop from nothing would require six successes. Even with a die pool of 8 and burning a lot of momentum it would be exceedingly difficult to pull off. Let alone if you need to also dump successes for shaping and funtion.

Comment

Originally posted by Fuzzykuma View Post

I would disagree dealing with Transmute. That power is under powered without enhancement from mega atts. Most powers are however creating a laptop from nothing would require six successes. Even with a die pool of 8 and burning a lot of momentum it would be exceedingly difficult to pull off. Let alone if you need to also dump successes for shaping and funtion.
                                There are enhancements for this kind of situation, both for scale and condition, at least on most of the powers.

Transmutation is a real tricky power because it’s not about creating things, but about creating materials to build things, but that’s not the point here. If you think it’s not enough and want to be able to do more with it, you can do it in two ways: first, transform it into a complex action, the idea here is you are creating the pieces to be used on the creation of the laptop (most of them require 2 or 3 successes), the SG would need to limit the number of milestones or the time to complete each one (this is actually a solution that is possible without breaking the rules). Second possibility, burn Quantum to add enhancements to the test, let’s say +1 for every 3 points or something like that (that’s a house rule).
                                In both cases, you still need the knowledge of how the computer work and how to program it, what justify the complexity.

Comment

Working...
                                X