[spoilers] Aberrant Setting Changes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [spoilers] Aberrant Setting Changes

So as a huge fan of Aberrant 1e, I devoured the manuscript docs as soon as they became available to me, especially the setting/history info, and found so many changes that really made me happy. Although I want to be sure about a couple things before I rejoice too much just in case that I missed it..

Am I right that the whole "nobles are sterile" storyline has been dropped in 2e? Not a thing at all? Seems so to me, but want to confirm.

Beyond that, let me say that T2N, what is going on with the Aberrants, etc.. really exciting stuff. Thrilled to see some significant setting work done.

I'm still mulling it all over, but at first blush I agree with you. And yes, I think the birth control plot is gone.

Comment

Eyup. Nothing in the entire book about a sterilization conspiracy. Additionally, Slider is breathing, and Proteus aren't mustache twirling villains.

Comment

Yeah the sterilization plot is gone, and that is for the best. I want to turn up the shadows a bit at my own table, but I’ll find other ways to morally compromise Utopia and co, because that plot line never worked if you thought about it too long.

That said, I’m houseruling a) all Novas are slow aging it’s not an Edge you have to buy, b) Novas are as fertile as baselines RELATIVE TO NATIRAL LIFETIME, and c) this hasn’t been conclusively figured out 10 years after N-Day, and there are starting to be concerns about Nova infertility, including untrue sterilization conspiracy theories.

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

One point the devs made in an interview was that, if someone finds out about the Medusa Protocols and makes that public, there’s plenty of ammo there to indicate that Utopia is totally morally compromised, especially if you only get bits and pieces of the info.

Someone who got some partial information off a deeply hidden Utopia server might even think that there actually WAS a sterilization plot or that Utopia was going to just kill all the Novas the moment they step out of line, instead of try to contain and then rehabilitate them.

Personally, I’m inclined to think that one of the few things that might totally derail the Aberrant War, instead of just pushing it a few years into the future, is finding a way to help Burano invent Quantakinesis much, much earlier. That might actually help reduce Flux and even Transcendence, which could help keep Novas from going Aberrant, negate their powers, and might even end up with some kind of drug you could take to stop becoming a disinterested god.

Granted Divis Mal probably wouldn’t like it, but, honestly, he lost control of this situation about ten years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by DeathChipmunk View Post
            Am I right that the whole "nobles are sterile" storyline has been dropped in 2e? Not a thing at all? Seems so to me, but want to confirm.
            Correct.

By making the Aeon Society the good guys, that had a cascading effect on the setting:

Aeon are good -> no nova sterilization conspiracy -> Slider doesn't get assassinated -> Corbin and Rousseau don't form the Aberrants -> T2N happens instead -> Aberrants form as a sub-group of Teragen

Deciding that the Fireman was going to be our first big example of Sacrifice was a second big change, but didn't have the same ripple effect.

Ian A. A. Watson
            Onyx Path Community Manager
            Trinity Continuum Content Lead

Comment

I want to play this game NOW!

Comment

Also, a change that my buddy pointed out to me. There are actually a lot less Novas present at the start of 2e than the start of 1e. There is only like 2K novas, and that means there is less of a chance for them to breed. Thus it is harder to see if they are fertile or infertile.

Comment

This 2K novas in the world part is one thing that really matter, not on the breeding per se, but on the importance of our characters to the world and the importance of every single Elite.

You may say 6k to 2K is not a big gap, but if you think how many of the novas are not heroic oriented, how many are not willing to risk their lives, how many of them are dark stars, how many just don’t want to be novas, you cut the relevant novas to a few hundred, and the ones that are a serious risk to a few dozens, while we were talking about a thousand and a few hundreds before.

Also you don’t need to put Pax on Q6 or Mal at Q8 to make them the most powerful by 2028, but let’s see how the Proteus files will make them.

Comment

The reduced number makes it feel even more like Rising Stars to me, which is good in my book.

Comment

Originally posted by Florin View Post
                      The reduced number makes it feel even more like Rising Stars to me, which is good in my book.
                      Rising Star it’s a bit too far on the counting... but that’s my point of view too.

Actually my idea for a non-Aberrant-War future is more of a Rising Star, the novas rise in conflict between them and against humanity too, but the war don’t end on the Ultimatum, it end with the novas uniting and helping humanity to create a better future.

Comment

I do think there’s room for a loose equivalent of 1e Aberrant without the specific conspiracy to respond to. Think of Cap’s side of Marvel Civil War and subsequent Secret Avengers. Some people are going to want to be heroes and fight against efforts to regulate them in that regard.

Obviously T2N is kind of a response to this - they do the missions that T2M can’t do because the Security Council wouldn’t approve. But I don’t just mean black ops for an official institution - I mean full on rejection of the restrictions of such an institution.

Comment

Originally posted by glamourweaver View Post

Obviously T2N is kind of a response to this - they do the missions that T2M can’t do because the Security Council wouldn’t approve. But I don’t just mean black ops for an official institution - I mean full on rejection of the restrictions of such an institution.
                          I did enjoy them as an addition. It meant there was now a Utopia/Aeon faction I could actually get onboard with. Bhurano being around means there would be another Aeon affiliate I can side with.

Comment

Bhurano is not affiliated to Aeon, she is working by herself for a while and may be related to a few people inside, but she is not part of it. Yet she is one of the most capable scientists in the subject of Noetic and Quantum by the time and could be behind of a group of dark stars and psiads.

Comment

Originally posted by Mateus Luz View Post
                              Bhurano is not affiliated to Aeon, she is working by herself for a while and may be related to a few people inside, but she is not part of it. Yet she is one of the most capable scientists in the subject of Noetic and Quantum by the time and could be behind of a group of dark stars and psiads.
                              From context, I assume Darksol was confusing her with fellow Psiad Sophia Rosseau.

Comment

Working...
                              X