No announcement yet.

[spoilers] Aberrant Setting Changes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I notice that more Talents are sprinkled here and there in the new canon, like Alexi Zhukov being an actual Talent as opposed to merely a vicious KGB vet. I don't think I saw Petr Ilyanovich of the Directive being upgraded past baseline though so looks like he'll be even more frustrated.

Comment

I’m going to make a post with my setting tweaks and expansions. Among them, I’m adding two major Allegiances that form a quadrant chart without Utopia and Teragen along the axes of “identify as human” and “individualist vs collectivist”. So there will be a major faction for individualist Novas who identify as human, and collectivist Novas who do not.
      Last edited by glamourweaver; 08-03-2019, 02:21 AM.

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

So I can't help but wonder what Aberrant would be like if say the start date was 2019, that is, novas appeared in October 2018 but its only been a year since then. The players are the first crop of novas to fully manifest. Which means they get to be on the ground initiating events that come later.

I could totally see keeping the timeline events continuing in areas that players don't touch. (So if no player is about terraforming then Utopia still cleans the environment, and if no player is about medicine than Triton still creates cures.) But I could see making major changes based on the areas the players impact.

Honestly, while I don't hate the timeline I do think its not as changed as it should / could be considering ten years of nova presence.

I do wonder if others have ideas on additional timeline points or moments they would want to add.

Comment

Originally posted by LordHeru View Post
          So I can't help but wonder what Aberrant would be like if say the start date was 2019, that is, novas appeared in October 2018 but its only been a year since then. The players are the first crop of novas to fully manifest. Which means they get to be on the ground initiating events that come later.

I could totally see keeping the timeline events continuing in areas that players don't touch. (So if no player is about terraforming then Utopia still cleans the environment, and if no player is about medicine than Triton still creates cures.) But I could see making major changes based on the areas the players impact.

Honestly, while I don't hate the timeline I do think its not as changed as it should / could be considering ten years of nova presence.

I do wonder if others have ideas on additional timeline points or moments they would want to add.
          *shrug* Day one eruptee is a pretty common game concept. It can be fun. Done it at least once.

Comment

Right, but to play out being there from the beginning means that actions have to matter and that those actions could lead to other changes in the world. Player developed technology and player created political movements, etc.

A player building a company. A player pushing the election. Players hacking into some sort of information system and releasing political news to the world. From that I think lots and lots of changes would happen.

Comment

Right, but to play out being there from the beginning means that actions have to matter and that those actions could lead to other changes in the world. Player developed technology and player created political movements, etc.

A player building a company. A player pushing the election. Players hacking into some sort of information system and releasing political news to the world. From that I think lots and lots of changes would happen.
              Yeah, they would. They always did. I mean, unless the GM's got a bug up his butt for the official timeline and railroads it into existence, but then there's no point in playing it.

Comment

There is another thread in this forum titled "What if Galatea happened today" that explores what you're talking about to some degree. I'd link it here if I knew how.

For what it's worth, I rather like the setting changes thus far, they'll make an excellent framework when I do exactly what we're talking about and have my first set of PCs be 1st-wave eruptees.

Comment

I’m considering tying N-Day to the activation of CERN LHC in 2008, and placing the setting “now” in a divergent present.

Comment

Originally posted by glamourweaver View Post
                    I’m considering tying N-Day to the activation of CERN LHC in 2008, and placing the setting “now” in a divergent present.
                    I thought about it a few times, but more about the CERN LHC working for all the 3 not just Novas. More like a Telluric Engine than a Galetea. But the idea is great.

Comment

I'm not sure if the world could handle Novas, Psiads, and super-Talents all appearing at the same time. Hehe

It would be awesome though. All the fun that could be had with humanity being enhanced in such an advanced way.

As a note, I always thought it would be interesting if in the near future humanity goes to space and as we do the Inspired start to manifest. But that is not so much N-Day.

Comment

You know what I would really like, a Trinity setting where it is the Inspired who are the ones that head into space and organize humanity's future.

In 'simple' terms the Expanse but with Inspired. hehe

Or more organized, humanity has expanded within the solar system to the point that there are bases, outposts, colonies, and or stations on every main world, their major moons, and a vast assortment of asteroids. This would be a humanity that has a UN like structure for high level diplomacy (which could be a fun game structure) but numerous individual planetary nations competing within themselves and with each other.

I could even see keeping the whole Nova Age and Aberrant War. Basically novas appeared like canon and thanks to their work numerous colonies throughout the solar system were established and their worlds terraformed somewhat. Things happened, events heated up, and the Aberrant War occurred that drove them from the solar system.Maybe the act that saw the novas leave also caused a wave of energy to engulf the solar system, one like the Hammersmith Event. Due to this wave came a second Adventure! era where Stalwarts, Mesmersits, and Talents were present in high quantities (plus the occasional stealth Nova and hidden Psiad).

Maybe Divis Mals' final act of aid to humanity before he departed for elsewhere was to protect the Sol System in a barrier of energy. A sphere that due to certain actions in the present of the timeline will soon come down and lead to the potential expansion of humanity among the stars.

Comment

Sounds like a really interesting idea for a Setting! This combination of "Expanse" and a new, second era Adventure! reminds me somewhat about Allen Steeles Captain-Future-Reboot "Avengers of the Moon". (https://books.google.de/books/about/...on&redir_esc=y). This also combines relatively "hard" modern Space-Opera with the pulpy, adventurous Sci-Fi of old.
                          Last edited by Waldi; 08-14-2019, 08:35 AM.

Comment

Reading over this thread, I see a lot of references I don't get... Is it possible to play Aberrant without being very familiar with the Aeon setting?

"I am a prophet. I bring chaos and unrest to the foolish and wicked. I am no fit prince for Cainites, and I am no fit shepherd for the souls of men."

Comment

Originally posted by Anatole View Post
                              Reading over this thread, I see a lot of references I don't get... Is it possible to play Aberrant without being very familiar with the Aeon setting?
                              Yes, actually it doesn't cause any issue and some SG would even prefer players that don't.

Comment

Originally posted by Anatole View Post
                                Yes, how they tie together is really only relevant from the Aeon side since Aberrant is its past, but if you’re playing Aberrant Aeon does not have to be its future.

I’ll even point out that the go-to example of pulpy stuff like Gorilla City existing in the Adventure! era but going out-of-Phase with the timeline that continues to Aberrant and Aeon means that completely different alien civilizations might exist out there in the Aberrant era as befits comic book super heroics, as opposed to the COMPARATIVELY harder sci-fi aliens of the Aeon setting. So you really don’t need to worry about Aeon to play Aberrant.

The main thing Aeon can contribute Aberrant is better rules for Psiads, but that’s not necessary at all if you aren’t specifically interested in playing psychic characters.

Comment

Working...
                                X