Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Superhero comics inspire you for Aberrant?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Superhero comics inspire you for Aberrant?

Pretty much just what it says on the tin. What comics make you think of Aberrant? What series deal with the same stuff they do here? Are there any that have a cool take on superheroes that you want to see here?

I’m going to toss out J. Michael Straczynski’s Rising Stars. It’s explicitly about a group of kids who get powers, try to change the world and the push back and fear they get from the world around them and the problems they have with each other.

Comment

'The Boys' (now on TV it seems, Amazon?) seems like a take on Aberrant 1e. Amusing, but definately a bit grimdark.

'Strong Female Protagonist' is an amazing webcomic (go read it NOW if you haven't), more than equal to any traditional print comic, and referrenced in one of the chapters (of Aberrant 2e).

Comment

Warren Ellis' 'The Wild Storm' for a setting with conspiracies and secret histories that gets blown apart when supers go public, serving as an example of how even just a few supers can turn the old order on its head.

Scion 2E: What We Know - A wiki compiling info on second edition Scion.

Comment

Obviously X-men, prolly not for the last few reboots they've suffered through, more like for the Clairmont run, and this new House of X series seems like a straight up Teragen story.

Comment

I have been playing and reading about Aberrant for so long it’s now self referencing in my mind. I probably read more variety of comics after I come in contact to Aberrant than before, I mean, before that it was basically Marvel, after that Inwent after the smaller companies.

Authority, Rising Star and The Boys are great for Aberrant character and story ideas.

I personally prefere Watchman. Playing a Talent fighting crime in a world with a Q8 Nova is a crazy idea...

Comment

There's always Warren Ellis' Authority and especially relevant to the Continuum - Planetary.

Comment

The first 75 or so issues of The Saga of the Swamp Thing leap to mind; lots of dealing with involuntary transformation, personal discovery, expanding powers, coming to terms with inhumanity, and so on. I'd also add Doctor Zero for a look at how helpless a world of baselines would be in the face of a truly competent and highly experienced nova.

Unsurprisingly, I've always liked Aberrant's Antaeus.

Comment

Marvel's 1986-1989 New Universe (rebooted by Warren Ellis in 2007-2008 as newuniversal).

"The premise behind the line of comics was that, prior to July 22, 1986, the New Universe was identical to the real world. The New Universe's first divergence from normal reality was the White Event, a strange astronomical phenomenon that occurred on July 22, 1986, at 4:22 a.m., EST, and lasted for mere moments. It bathed the Earth in a bright white light and caused genetic anomalies in two out of every one million humans, which led to them developing superhuman powers. Many looked completely normal, but for others, the anomaly resulted in a physical manifestation that led to horrible disfiguration."

Ian A. A. Watson
                  Onyx Path Community Manager

Comment

IanWatson wow that's spectacular. Also its a very awesome moment leading to the presence of the superhuman. Very cool. I'm going to have to look that up.

It's not so much comics, and its not so much for Aberrant, but I gotta say I just watched Season Three of the Expanse (and are rewatching season 1 and 2) and so many ideas came to me. Two in particular, the first being the whole nature of a giant gate leading to a space where thousands of other gates also exist and the second being the Nauvoo. I LOVE, love, love, love, the mobile space habitat generation ship with a rotating cylinder for its main section. I want to run a campaign in such a location, I really do. I have the idea that it was built by a humanity but that after its launch it gets hit by some stellar radiation which causes the appearance of Inspired of all three types. That or its built by a set of novas who find some sort of limitation on warp and os go 'old school' in their colonization attempt.

Comment

There are a few. I love the Ultimates line. Uber, though the SPBs are man-made rather than luck of the draw, is incredibly violent and top-heavy in its application of power(s). I love the Bendis comic Powers and think there's likely a story you can run with that using Utopia / Aeon as Nova cops. The 1950s set C.O.W.L. is really good and plays with some themes of real politick. Some of the Valiant books do a nice job mixing power levels and types (XO has a massively powerful organic power armor, Ninjak is certainly a Talent, Harada is listed as a Psiad but for sure has 5 dots in most modes, Bloodshot is a nanobot cyborg etc). No Hero has world-changing super heroes whom the powers-that-be hate and conspire to destroy. And there's some interesting world implications of OP SPBs in the book Supergod.

PS: love the Rising Stars and Newuniversal references.

Comment

Not a comic, but the RPG Mutant City Blues is a setting where mutants with powers showed up and, instead of putting on tights, they got jobs. But, sometimes they commit crimes, so the cops in the Mutant task force investigate them. It has an interesting setup where certain powers are more closely related to other powers and tend to relate to high probabilities of developing certain mental illnesses, so you can do things like “Hmmm.... our vic had both acid burns and lightning charring. That means we got two perps, unless the perp has a flask of acid”

It’s CSI: X-Men is what I’m saying and it could be useful for a World Crime Taskforce focused game.

Comment

Personally a big fan of the Valiant Universe. Not many 1 to 1 connections to Aberrant. But the feel of the universe I think is quite close. Plus the harbinger corner is very close to the psionic side of aberrant.

Find my Homebrew so far here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing
                          So far its Demon Merits, Vampire 1e to 2e ports and a Knowledge collection mechanic for the Ordo Dracul!

Comment

Reading Grrlpower comic is definately what made me harass my ST into starting a game! it is definately the 'most' Aberrant comic i have read.

https://grrlpowercomic.com/archives/comic/gp0001/

Comment

Grant Morrisson's New X-Men for the mutant culture, all the drama, secret conspiracy (Weapon +) and the U-man who want the mutant powers. Also, Sublime is a good Doyen-like inspiration.
                              Beyond that title, all the Grant Morrisson-esque multiversal shenaningans goes very well with the idea of "Continuums" (eh, think "Nazi Nova" as Antagonist)

Comment

Working...
                              X