Super villains!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Super villains!

So, I know Aberrant doesn’t exactly do “Supervillainy” at least not in the traditional sense. But there are Novas who have gotten a bit drunk on power and/or had a bad set of Transformations out there and I want to hear what people have come up with.

Here’s a link to a rescue aid doctor who is, unfortunately, a Nova who is quite, quite insane in her alternate form. Note that she was made using the existing character generation rules, so you too can create a massively insane Nova to start the game with.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...tFXknHCEFgsgm8

Her vulnerability is currently unspecified, left to be tailored to your players needs.
    Last edited by BrilliantRain; 08-01-2019, 11:31 PM.

Comment

Awesome!

Great idea, I see her as a cartoonish girl when transformed, not full cartoon, just that hyper-cute idea.

Comment

Great! Would the insulin be enough to avoid a sugar Transformation, though? Perhaps it can delay it enough for her to get the hell away from anybody who knows her...

I didn't have the time to read the rules as closely as I'd like, so why does she have both absorption 6 and quantum attack 4 as techniques of a Transmutation 6 power? What's going on here?

Comment

Originally posted by pcontop View Post

I didn't have the time to read the rules as closely as I'd like, so why does she have both absorption 6 and quantum attack 4 as techniques of a Transmutation 6 power? What's going on here?
          Quantum Minimums I assume. She has a Quantum of 4... Transmutation and absorption require a static 4 and 2 Quantum minimum each while Quantum Attack requires a minimum of the number of dots in the power. I looked in the rules we have and haven't spotted anything specifically stating that the power's minimum still applies, but it would make sense that it would.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilliantRain View Post
            Here’s a link to a rescue aid doctor who is, unfortunately, a Nova who is quite, quite insane in her alternate form. Note that she was made using the existing character generation rules, so you too can create a massively insane Nova to start the game with.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...tFXknHCEFgsgm8

Her vulnerability is currently unspecified, left to be tailored to your players needs.

Holy hell, I hadn't crunched the numbers yet to realize you can start the game with Transcendence 8. That's fantastic, insane, and fantastically insane.

Raksha are my fae-vorite.

Reincarnation of magnificentmomo.

Comment

Originally posted by MoroseMorgan View Post

Holy hell, I hadn't crunched the numbers yet to realize you can start the game with Transcendence 8. That's fantastic, insane, and fantastically insane.

Actually, can't you start with Transcendence 9 simply by buying 9 dots of mega-attributes at half cost in exchange for 9 dots of Transcendence? Technically you could do Transcendence 10 but that would be kinda moot since you'd be an insta-NPC.

Though, the way it is phrased at the top of page 4 of preview file 2 ("You can choose to take one dot in Transcendence in order to acquire a dot of a nova trait at half the usual Experience cost (rounded down).") could imply you are only able to take a single dot of transcendence at all due to the price discount while spending you 150 xp from character generation. Which would make 3 the cap for a starting character... 1 from that and 2 more from Quantum 5.

Anyone know if that reading is correct?
              Last edited by Brennanhawkwood; 08-02-2019, 04:31 PM. Reason: Wrong preview file

Comment

Originally posted by Brennanhawkwood View Post

Actually, can't you start with Transcendence 9 simply by buying 9 dots of mega-attributes at half cost in exchange for 9 dots of Transcendence? Technically you could do Transcendence 10 but that would be kinda moot since you'd be an insta-NPC.

Though, the way it is phrased at the top of page 4 of preview file 2 ("You can choose to take one dot in Transcendence in order to acquire a dot of a nova trait at half the usual Experience cost (rounded down).&quot could imply you are only able to take a single dot of transcendence at all due to the price discount while spending you 150 xp from character generation. Which would make 3 the cap for a starting character... 1 from that and 2 more from Quantum 5.

Makes a lot of sense your reading. As a general rule it seams that the characters are more human than used to be, so a T3 is margining limit of an transformation.

But at same time, we know it can happen to be transformed since eruption (Sloppy Joe anyone?) and our character could be one of those unfortunates.

Comment

In 1st edition you could start with any amount of Permanent Taint from a number of discounts and I don’t think that has changed. The quoted part can also be read as being able to take Nova traits cheaper and the cost being one Transcendence per one dot of a Nova trait. And that is more or less how I read it atleast. And like pointed out above this is what makes guys like Sloppy Joe possible and I wouldn’t want to loose that aspect of Aberrant.

One of my more of a Villain type characters was a Doctor who erupted during a plane crash which he survived despite having been ripped to pieces in the crash (Homonculus power from 1st edition, restriction that he could not make actual homonculy but remove organs and limbs from himself to move on their own) and pulling himself together, literally, from the crashsite left him scarred both physically and mentally. He was driven to research people and Novas and especially trying to remove pieces from them harmlessly like he was able to do, and basically finding a way to use his power on others. He also had immobilize power from 1st ed that manifested as him throwing syringes filled with anasthetics that somehow did not prevent the victim from breathing even as it otherwise acted like a muscle relaxant. This latter power he used to gather his test subjects.

Cant remember all the details without searching out his character sheet but that is him in a nutshell.

Comment

Originally posted by Possessed View Post
                    In 1st edition you could start with any amount of Permanent Taint from a number of discounts and I don’t think that has changed. The quoted part can also be read as being able to take Nova traits cheaper and the cost being one Transcendence per one dot of a Nova trait. And that is more or less how I read it atleast. And like pointed out above this is what makes guys like Sloppy Joe possible and I wouldn’t want to loose that aspect of Aberrant.
                    That was actually my assumption on how it worked as well until I spotted that line in the instructions on spending a starting character's 150 xp. I figured I'd mention it, see what people thought and then jot it down to be submitted as feedback to Onyx Path as a line that might need clarification one way or the other.

Comment

Originally posted by Brennanhawkwood View Post

Though, the way it is phrased at the top of page 4 of preview file 2 ("You can choose to take one dot in Transcendence in order to acquire a dot of a nova trait at half the usual Experience cost (rounded down).") could imply you are only able to take a single dot of transcendence at all due to the price discount while spending you 150 xp from character generation. Which would make 3 the cap for a starting character... 1 from that and 2 more from Quantum 5.

If they were intending it to be something you could only do one time, I imagine it would be explicit about it. It's just saying that one dot of transcendence gives you a 50% discount on one dot of a nova trait. It doesn't say "And you can only do this one time."

Comment

I think it would be worth flagging, since it could be read either way. And, yeah, assuming you can take more than one point of transcendence at chargen, you should be able to take 10 points of it (except for the whole “automatically become an NPC” thing). Which, technically wouldn’t actually be an issue for this character, since she’s meant to be an NPC. In her case, I think it would take the form of no longer being able to revert back to her other form and being the sociopathic magical girl forever.

Which would be bad. Honestly, I’m not sure how much could actually be done for her, save for getting her some serious counseling and then getting a Teragen to guide her through a Chrysalis when she hits level 9 and hope she comes out relatively sane.

Well, or go help the Doc invent Quantakinesis 70 years early.
                        Last edited by BrilliantRain; 08-02-2019, 11:57 PM.

Comment

Also, as a storyguide, I’d be looking hard at any character that had any points of Transcendence at the start of the game. If they had 5 or more points, I’d need a REALLY good explanation.

Well, unless we were playing a Teragen focused game where exploring Transcendence was the point anyway.

Comment

The shared universe series Wildcards had a villain called Puppetman. He was basically a mind controller with a special knack for emotional manipulation and a psychological addiction to sadisticly using his powers to wound and destroy. The reason he would work as a villain in Aberrant is that Puppetman was the fantasy alter-ego of a respected high-status figure. Hidden, sometimes even from themselves, figures work best in this setting.

They already reworked Rose and Thorn into a male religious fanatic.

Comment

I would make a Psiad focused in Telepathy that control people so subtly that no one would guess he is the evil one.

He would look like a very common, almost invisible guy, that would make him capable of entering some places without using his powers, and when need he can make the guards to let he in. He than make visual contact with his victims, the ones he would transform into villains, when he is back home he sits on his chair and take control of the target, make target give him some money and start working on the next evil plan. Most of time it's just small things, controlling a bank employee to leave some money near his house, but some murders are also possible.

His targets usually end up as crazy for being controlled by an evil force, some say it was a Nova, but there is no trace of nova activity, most of his targets are in jail, and as he picks people in several places in town and not enough people to rise crime rates above the usual, no one is after him.

He think he is a nova and don't understand exactly how nobody detect him (its because Novas can't detect Psiads), as many novas can be traced, so he thinks it's part of his power. After a few dozen crimes committed by his several targets, he is pretty confident and start thinking about target a nova, maybe one of the players, to make something big.

He is a mix of the serial killer from Se7en, the Purple Man (form Jessica Jones Netflix, not the original) and the Puppetman.

Comment

Working...
                              X