Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Super villains!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    There is certainly room for villains in this game, but they would be like the characters in "The Boys" or "X-Men: Dark Phoenix". That is, they would be corrupt establishment types, terrorists, or so tainted that they go blatantly insane. The only villains you can't have are bank robbers, and openly villainous world conquerors. There's no reason for a Nova to rob a bank. Nor are there reasons to be an openly villainous world conqueror because it is so much easier to manipulate the establishment from the inside.

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by CajunKhan View Post
      There is certainly room for villains in this game, but they would be like the characters in "The Boys" or "X-Men: Dark Phoenix". That is, they would be corrupt establishment types, terrorists, or so tainted that they go blatantly insane. The only villains you can't have are bank robbers, and openly villainous world conquerors. There's no reason for a Nova to rob a bank. Nor are there reasons to be an openly villainous world conqueror because it is so much easier to manipulate the establishment from the inside.
      Thats why Cestus Pax would be better as an Glory Hounding dick than the new one. But I hate old Pax soooo much that I love the new one.

      For bank robbers for sure there would be no Novas, that's why Transcendence ins important for the setting, so the evil novas are evil because they are insane, because they are to monstrous to be treated as humans or at least because they would pick anything they want any time they want just because nobody would be able to stop (like Homelander).
      Last edited by Mateus Luz; 08-06-2019, 05:13 PM.

      Comment


      • #18
        I dunno. Just because you got super powers and fame doesn’t mean that automatically translates to money. If you’re super strong but clumsy about it or you look really weird or you’re always shooting energy from your face, maybe you can’t get a normal job or a cool Nova job. Maybe you end up at the end of your rope and think “Hey, I could rip a bank vault door off its hinges, why do I gotta worry about money?”


        ....

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by CajunKhan View Post
          There is certainly room for villains in this game, but they would be like the characters in "The Boys" or "X-Men: Dark Phoenix". That is, they would be corrupt establishment types, terrorists, or so tainted that they go blatantly insane. The only villains you can't have are bank robbers, and openly villainous world conquerors. There's no reason for a Nova to rob a bank. Nor are there reasons to be an openly villainous world conqueror because it is so much easier to manipulate the establishment from the inside.
          Would you consider Adrian Veidt (Ozmandias) from Watchmen to be a villain?

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by BrilliantRain View Post
            I dunno. Just because you got super powers and fame doesn’t mean that automatically translates to money. If you’re super strong but clumsy about it or you look really weird or you’re always shooting energy from your face, maybe you can’t get a normal job or a cool Nova job. Maybe you end up at the end of your rope and think “Hey, I could rip a bank vault door off its hinges, why do I gotta worry about money?”
            The novas are not registered, but they are known. If you rip a bank safe door, they will go after you in the exact moment, unless you have a sanctum or something like that. Also, you better rob a lot once, because you are famous and they will not let you in that easy a second time.

            Making small robs around the city (picking what you want when you need) is probably a better solution than robing banks, as long you don’t stand up enough to call some Nova troopers after you or as long you don’t live on a city with a Nova protector.
            Last edited by Mateus Luz; 08-07-2019, 05:48 AM.

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by muon View Post

              Would you consider Adrian Veidt (Ozmandias) from Watchmen to be a villain?
              In the series he is for sure. What he did is very villainous, if you think he killed a few millions (and made Doc Manhattan an Earth Enemy in the movie). The most intelligent man in the world is not that wise.

              His objective can be good and all, but he used a very evil way to deal with it. Not very different from MCU Thanos (except for the kill/living proportion).

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by CajunKhan View Post
                There is certainly room for villains in this game, but they would be like the characters in "The Boys" or "X-Men: Dark Phoenix". That is, they would be corrupt establishment types, terrorists, or so tainted that they go blatantly insane. The only villains you can't have are bank robbers, and openly villainous world conquerors. There's no reason for a Nova to rob a bank. Nor are there reasons to be an openly villainous world conqueror because it is so much easier to manipulate the establishment from the inside.
                No reason to rob for personal profit, but a Leftist Nova might attack banks for ideological reasons/go Robin Hood.

                Manipulating institutions from the inside isn’t viable for every Nova - they don’t chose their Mega Attributes/power sets diagetically. It’s totally feasible to have a “Novas aren’t separate from humanity, or the same as humanity, we’re the rightful RULERS of humanity” character asserting some divine right aristocracy of superbeings


                Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by BrilliantRain View Post
                  I dunno. Just because you got super powers and fame doesn’t mean that automatically translates to money. If you’re super strong but clumsy about it or you look really weird or you’re always shooting energy from your face, maybe you can’t get a normal job or a cool Nova job. Maybe you end up at the end of your rope and think “Hey, I could rip a bank vault door off its hinges, why do I gotta worry about money?”

                  Well going by 1e, corporations will throw money at a Nova just to publically wear or use their products - no real job required. Ripping bank vaults open and this bringing Utopia or the Directive down on your head seems like a lot of bother by comparison.


                  Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by glamourweaver View Post


                    Well going by 1e, corporations will throw money at a Nova just to publically wear or use their products - no real job required. Ripping bank vaults open and this bringing Utopia or the Directive down on your head seems like a lot of bother by comparison.
                    I agree that robbing banks is a bit silly, or plain stupid but then again even Novas may be stupid, but even that corporation sponsorship does not apply to all Novas. Sloppy Joe is unlikely, for example, to land a deal with any corporation.

                    So while pretty robberies, or bank robberies, are pretty much a bad idea no matter what, cyber crime might work though, not all Novas have easy access to money and some may even be in worse conditions, moneywise, than they were before their eruption. This goes especially for inhuman Novas who aren’t blessed with social or intellectual Mega attributes or edges but are twisted by Transcendence and transformations. And those Novas may get foolish or outright stupid ideas to get money by using their powers.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by Possessed View Post

                      I agree ... powers.
                      True, not all novas have a chance with sponsors or even fans to help. But Novas are a select group of people that have too many eyes looking upon them.

                      There’s a good reason for guys like Leviathan and Sloppy Joe join the Teragen, good or bad they have some support from the wealthier guys.

                      We probably can say the same about Project Utopia, they have the Training Centres that may help, or at least find them something to do with their powers.

                      The problem is just for those that don’t want to join those groups or did something against them before.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by Mateus Luz View Post

                        In the series he is for sure. What he did is very villainous, if you think he killed a few millions (and made Doc Manhattan an Earth Enemy in the movie). The most intelligent man in the world is not that wise.

                        His objective can be good and all, but he used a very evil way to deal with it. Not very different from MCU Thanos (except for the kill/living proportion).
                        (Ironically Alan Moore conceived as Ozmandias as a sympathetic character and Rorshach as an unsympathetic one. Fan reaction was the opposite, to his chagrin.)

                        Comparing and contrasting Watchmen with Aberrant would be a post of its own, but just consider that the end result of Ozmandias's plot puts him int the same position as the Aeon Society. A self-appointed elite who gets unchallenged supra-national authority to remake the world into a better place with his superior capabilities.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Ok, lets look at a hypothetical example.

                          About six months after N-Day, Torch gains power over fire. Torch is not particularly keen on bodily harm however, so quickly takes a job as spokesperson for a company that makes grills. Live is good.

                          Something happens and Torch ends up on the scene and gets to assist the Fireman in putting out a fire and saving people. The Torch’s celebrity status (and salary) takes a big bump. Life is REALLY good.

                          Unfortunately, now The Torch gets addicted to the lifestyle, does a few stupid things on social media, and The Torch’s rep tanks. The agents won’t respond.

                          Maybe The Torch tries to stage a publicity stunt by going out and helping people and things go wrong. Lawsuit wrong. Now The Torch has a rep they can’t recover from and a negative bank account.

                          ...And then Torch gets a message from a crew that like the idea of having a living blow torch to cut their way into a vault. Or, over time, Torch has learned to manipulate electricity too, so the security cameras can’t see who’s cutting into the vault.

                          It won’t happen to everyone, but I could see it potentially happening to a number of Novas over time. And there’s been a decade of time for it to happen in.
                          Last edited by BrilliantRain; 08-07-2019, 07:59 PM.


                          ....

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by Mateus Luz View Post

                            In the series he is for sure. What he did is very villainous, if you think he killed a few millions (and made Doc Manhattan an Earth Enemy in the movie). The most intelligent man in the world is not that wise.

                            His objective can be good and all, but he used a very evil way to deal with it. Not very different from MCU Thanos (except for the kill/living proportion).
                            This. Great villains don't think they're evil (for the most part). And doubly agree about the finale to a certain comic book-inspired film series seems to have forgotten that.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by BrilliantRain View Post
                              Ok, lets look at a hypothetical example.

                              About six months after N-Day, Torch gains power over fire. Torch is not particularly keen on bodily harm however, so quickly takes a job as spokesperson for a company that makes grills. Live is good.

                              Something happens and Torch ends up on the scene and gets to assist the Fireman in putting out a fire and saving people. The Torch’s celebrity status (and salary) takes a big bump. Life is REALLY good.

                              Unfortunately, now The Torch gets addicted to the lifestyle, does a few stupid things on social media, and The Torch’s rep tanks. The agents won’t respond.

                              Maybe The Torch tries to stage a publicity stunt by going out and helping people and things go wrong. Lawsuit wrong. Now The Torch has a rep they can’t recover from and a negative bank account.

                              ...And then Torch gets a message from a crew that like the idea of having a living blow torch to cut their way into a vault. Or, over time, Torch has learned to manipulate electricity too, so the security cameras can’t see who’s cutting into the vault.

                              It won’t happen to everyone, but I could see it potentially happening to a number of Novas over time. And there’s been a decade of time for it to happen in.
                              This sounds a lot like how some at least one part of the crew from SuperCrooks is recruited. Great comic and not a bad point of inspiration for a non-heroic campaign.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X