Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Making a Flying Brick (First Character Help)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making a Flying Brick (First Character Help)

Hello.

I am currently designing a character for an Abberent game and am attempting to wrap my head around it. I don't think the base system is that complicated as a whole, but I am uncertain about some concepts and ideas of the system and where it interacts.

I don't want to do anything super fancy as a first character, I just want to play a basic flying Brick; strong, fast, resilient, and good with people sort of. Just a generic kind of Superman Powerset Expy.

How would I go about doing that in decent terms? The current build I've figured out or worked on involves Mega-Attributes for all the physical attributes, plus one in Mega-Presence, raising Quantum to 2, and picking up Boost Variable (for the kind of 'digging down deep to go beyond the limits' power) and Flight.

Is there some stuff I should be looking towards or around for building a character like this that I might be missing due to being inexperienced in the system?

I guess you could pick some Mega Edges to show the physical power instead of additional dots in Mega Attributes.
    My suggestion is:
    Quantum 2
    MMig 2
    MDex 1
    MSta 2
    MPre 1
    Flight 2
    Than you pick 3 dots among Mega Lift, Mega Speed, Durability and Dense Flesh.
    Last edited by Mateus Luz; 08-12-2019, 02:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mateus Luz View Post
      I guess you could pick some Mega Edges to show the physical power instead of additional dots in Mega Attributes.
      My suggestion is:
      Quantum 2
      MMig 2
      MDex 1
      MSta 2
      MPre 1
      Flight 2
      Than you pick 3 dots among Mega Lift, Mega Speed, Durability and Dense Flesh.
      Cool. This is about what I was figuring so I'm glad to see I'm on the right track.

Comment

About the Boost Power, it’s interesting, but you can have almost the same result with the Maxing Out rules. You can get a few dots in the powers, Mega Edges and Mega Attributes by spending Quantum and gaining Flux. As you have only one power that spend Quantum more often, you can do that and once in a while spend a few weeks off to bleed the Flux.

Boost would allow you to do kind of the same, but limited to a few attributes. Honestly, Boost a kind of useless unless you are targeting a really high Mega Attributes that you can’t achieve without raising Quantum. Boost can also be useful if you have many dots in it and variable and multiple attributes, but dot by dot the MAttribute dot is better than Boost dot.

Comment

Originally posted by Flare View Post
          Hello.

I am currently designing a character for an Abberent game and am attempting to wrap my head around it. I don't think the base system is that complicated as a whole, but I am uncertain about some concepts and ideas of the system and where it interacts.

I don't want to do anything super fancy as a first character, I just want to play a basic flying Brick; strong, fast, resilient, and good with people sort of. Just a generic kind of Superman Powerset Expy.

How would I go about doing that in decent terms? The current build I've figured out or worked on involves Mega-Attributes for all the physical attributes, plus one in Mega-Presence, raising Quantum to 2, and picking up Boost Variable (for the kind of 'digging down deep to go beyond the limits' power) and Flight.

Is there some stuff I should be looking towards or around for building a character like this that I might be missing due to being inexperienced in the system?

You don't need Boost for the dig down deep beyond limits power, there is already Maxing Out. Those dots could then be moved over to Durability or Quantum Field to get some actual Brick-ness, as Mega-Stam doesn't add scale to defense. Durability 4 is where you become immune to small arms fire. Regeneration might also be good for when something actually does break through your defenses.

In the Appendix there is a sample called Tank which would be a good guideline, just sub in Fly where you'd like.

edit:
          Another point re: Maxing out. Since you roll Quantum for it, it isn't a bad idea to eat a couple transcendence now and boost up Quantum on the cheap so that you can more easily max out.
          Last edited by MoroseMorgan; 08-12-2019, 02:48 PM.

Raksha are my fae-vorite.

Reincarnation of magnificentmomo.

Comment

I'd add that there seems to be a tendency for players to think “if I want to be good with a particular attribute, I need to take dots in the corresponding Mega-Attribute.” Not really, no. Mega-Attributes and Mega-Edges are for superhuman ability. That's very much appropriate for the physical attributes; Mega-Presence is a little more questionable — though I wouldn't go so far as to dismiss it out of hand. But I would recommend first looking at whether regular Presence is good enough, and if not whether Edges and then Mega-Edges will suffice.

On the other hand, you might want to consider Mega-Cunning (rapidity of thought gives inhuman initiative) and/or some sensory Mega-Edges. Flying Bricks tend to have all of their physical capabilities amped up to superhuman levels, including their senses.

You might also consider Quantum Attack, as flying bricks often have things like heat vision (Superman) or energy bolts (Starfire). I'd rank it lower than your Mega-Might, as it's primarily there as a backup in case you're facing someone who's keeping his distance; and it's not strictly necessary, as you do have the ability to throw things at your target. But it's worth consideration. It's also a manifestation of whatever kind of energy empowers you: solar-powered Superman has heat vision; nuclear-powered Captain Atom can fire bolts of nuclear energy; Captain Marvel (I refuse to call him Shazam) can use the Power of Zeus to call down bolts of lightning. And so on.

Comment

Thanks for the advice everyone. I ended up getting as follows, with our ST giving us a 6 XP discount for mega edges if you have a mega attribute;

Quantum 2
              Mega Might 2
              Mega Dex 1
              Mega Stamina 2
              Mega Presence 1
              Mega Cunning 1
              Flight 2
              Mega Lifting, Mega Speed, Durability, Mega Hearing, Immunity.

I'm not exactly a full flying brick right now but it feels like a good start I can expand on as the game goes on, specifically for stuff like Quantum Blast being something to pick up in some time.

Comment

Don't forget to can Max Out to take Quantum Attack for a turn.

Comment

Originally posted by tragedyjones View Post
                  Don't forget to can Max Out to take Quantum Attack for a turn.

This. I mean, you would need to anyways to be able to buy it later, but never hurts to have a reminder.

Probably a good idea to write down the rules for the first dot or two of powers you plan to get or will Max Out for later, so that you don't need to flip around the book in play.
                  Last edited by MoroseMorgan; 08-15-2019, 01:38 PM.

Raksha are my fae-vorite.

Reincarnation of magnificentmomo.

Comment

Originally posted by MoroseMorgan View Post

This. I mean, you would need to anyways to be able to buy it later, but never hurts to have a reminder.

Probably a good idea to right down the rules for the first dot or two of powers you plan to get or will Max Out for later, so that you don't need to flip around the book in play.
                    True, if you need to max out to evolve, I would suggest to keep track of all that you maxed out. And I would not allow any kind of of scene train or things like that, Max it out in game or no Evolution.

Comment

Right. I get the idea of Maxing Out and having to deal with it to enhance your traits.

What I'm really poking at right now is managing Flux and Transcendence without going Abberent. Since you can't lose Transcendence once you get it, it seems like you need to manage and burn off Flux fairly consistently or else you're going to crank up Ascension, especially since you need to Max Out to raise traits in the first place.

Comment

Originally posted by Flare View Post
                        Right. I get the idea of Maxing Out and having to deal with it to enhance your traits.

What I'm really poking at right now is managing Flux and Transcendence without going Abberent. Since you can't lose Transcendence once you get it, it seems like you need to manage and burn off Flux fairly consistently or else you're going to crank up Ascension, especially since you need to Max Out to raise traits in the first place.
                        You can keep your powers limited to half of the max for a month and lose some Flux (roll Quantum + Resolve), or can stop using your powers for 2 weeks for the same result. If you have dormancy you bleed a point per week.

I think it’s a bit to low for the amount we can get, so I would use the four colour option of spend an entire scene being human and treating people as humans and you loose 1 Flux.

Comment

If I recall correctly, there's also a Mega-Edge that helps you manage your Flux. I think it requires a dot of Mega-Composure, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Dataweaver View Post
                            If I recall correctly, there's also a Mega-Edge that helps you manage your Flux. I think it requires a dot of Mega-Composure, though.
                            Quantum Stability, but it don’t help on controlling Flux, just raise the minimum Flux + Transcendence you need before getting a temporary transformation.

Comment

Working...
                            X