Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

No More Death Defiance?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • No More Death Defiance?

    I had noted during the KS for TC and Aeon that the Death Defiance Gift needed to be reworked. I noticed that a couple of edges had been updated in the most recent (final) version of the core, so I checked to see if Death Defiance had been updated. It appears it was updated right out of the book. Does anyone know if this was intentional, or if it was an editorial oversight?

  • #2
    Originally posted by Slagheap View Post
    I had noted during the KS for TC and Aeon that the Death Defiance Gift needed to be reworked. I noticed that a couple of edges had been updated in the most recent (final) version of the core, so I checked to see if Death Defiance had been updated. It appears it was updated right out of the book. Does anyone know if this was intentional, or if it was an editorial oversight?
    Was that the one to declare your character not dead of there is any excuse to reveal they’re really alive?

    If so, it may have been removed because Dramatic Editing can be read as already letting you do that without a Gift.

    My attempt to reconcile the two had been that the Dramatic Editing rule was meant to refer to NPCs but you needed the Gift for your own character - but if that isn’t the case and the 3 Inspiration Dramatic Edit does let you reveal Indy’s just hanging on the ledge, the Gift was a redundant air breathing mermaid.
    Last edited by glamourweaver; 08-12-2019, 03:16 PM.


    Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

    Comment


    • #3
      Everything you point out is was the reason the Gift needed reworking. In 1e a player could also escape death with normal dramatic editing, but Death Defiance allowed the player to spend Willpower in place of Inspiration to escape death (so long as they "stayed dead" until the next scene). My fix for the 2e gift was just to allow the player to treat their highest fact as an extra pool for dramatic editing out of death. The pool would refresh each episode.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Slagheap View Post
        Everything you point out is was the reason the Gift needed reworking. In 1e a player could also escape death with normal dramatic editing, but Death Defiance allowed the player to spend Willpower in place of Inspiration to escape death (so long as they "stayed dead" until the next scene). My fix for the 2e gift was just to allow the player to treat their highest fact as an extra pool for dramatic editing out of death. The pool would refresh each episode.
        Genre wise the type of dramatic reveals we’re discussing while a well established trope that needs support, are not so frequent that they should be happening to the same character multiple times an episode. It loses their coolness and it just becomes silly like that.


        Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

        Comment


        • #5
          Not dying and having to wait until the end of the scene (or middle of next, whatever) requires just 1 Inspiration, so you will have at least 1 by the beginning of each scene anyway.

          Returning before the end of the scene is a little more... dramatic... so you may need to spend some extra Inspiration.

          Comment


          • #6
            Unless one of the devs comments (or commented elsewhere, and a link or reference would be nice!), it's worth noting that this is just speculation. People are trying to best explain why Death Defiance isn't there based on what they know.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Heavy Arms View Post
              Unless one of the devs comments (or commented elsewhere, and a link or reference would be nice!), it's worth noting that this is just speculation. People are trying to best explain why Death Defiance isn't there based on what they know.
              Well... yes, but the fact that death defiance as written did something explicitly already covered by Dramatic Editing isn’t speculation, so I feel pretty safe assuming that’s why they decided to cut it, even while people have their own ideas for rules that could have used to make it more powerful than base Dramatic Editing instead.


              Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Heavy Arms View Post
                Unless one of the devs comments (or commented elsewhere, and a link or reference would be nice!), it's worth noting that this is just speculation. People are trying to best explain why Death Defiance isn't there based on what they know.
                There is no need for explanation, it’s like if it was never there (officially it was never there). The total number of Gifts is much larger than the original Knacks, and the fact that it worked on mechanics that are not present in the game (Will points) prevented it from work as it used to.

                Think about it the same way as the changes in the psionic Modes from 1e to TC.

                Comment

                Working...
                X