Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What does Slow Aging 1 do?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • What does Slow Aging 1 do?

    What does Slow Aging 1 do? Dividing by 1 doesn't do anything?

  • #2
    As written, nothing.

    I honestly would make it a 1 dot Mega Edge that divide the aging by the narrative scale of Mega Stamina (5, 25, 125, 625, etc), but...

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Mateus Luz View Post

      I honestly would make it a 1 dot Mega Edge that divide the aging by the narrative scale of Mega Stamina (5, 25, 125, 625, etc), but...
      That or just fold it into Mega-Stamina. Honestly it is something that either never comes up in a chronicle or if the SG is planning century spanning chronicle in which case it is mandatory and becomes an xp tax or the SG just grants it for free.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Possessed View Post

        That or just fold it into Mega-Stamina. Honestly it is something that either never comes up in a chronicle or if the SG is planning century spanning chronicle in which case it is mandatory and becomes an xp tax or the SG just grants it for free.
        ^This

        Just make slow aging an inherent part of the Nova condition or freely tied to another power or stat.


        Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

        Comment


        • #5
          Thats how it works for Psions, you have VK you are unaging. Why cant it ge for novas - you have mega-stamina you are unaging.

          Comment


          • #6
            Might be old news by now, but in case anyone is reading this, I'm pretty sure one dot halves the aging rate. There was an error in the explanation of how scale multipliers work, and the same error almost certainly in the Slow Aging entry. Any time you're supposed to multiply or divide by a rating according to the rules, it's actually supposed to be "rating + 1."

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by LordHeru View Post
              Thats how it works for Psions, you have VK you are unaging. Why cant it ge for novas - you have mega-stamina you are unaging.
              Different foundations underlying the powers give different effects, but if it’s a problem for any group just do what you’ve said.

              Honestly, I’ve never been a part of any group in any system where aging was a problem anyone had to care about.


              Writer. Developer. World of Darkness | Chronicles of Darkness | The Trinity Continuum

              Comment


              • #8
                60 XP to be unaging seems really steep, especially since that'll never matter in 99% of games out there. I'd change Slow Aging into a single rank mega-edge called Unaging instead, and assume that the other slow aging effect is just a free side effect of Mega-Stamina or even just being a nova.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Bunyip View Post

                  Different foundations underlying the powers give different effects, but if it’s a problem for any group just do what you’ve said.

                  Honestly, I’ve never been a part of any group in any system where aging was a problem anyone had to care about.
                  That's the point though, if its more of a cosmetic effect then why does it costs the same amount of XP as having something like quantum powered firebolt. It doesn't make sense.

                  Also the whole 'different foudnations' doesn't really work because nothing inherent to the two states say that Psions should have immortality but that Novas have to work for it.

                  So yeah, I say having Mega-Stamina automatically gives the benefit of unaging.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Bunyip View Post

                    Different foundations underlying the powers give different effects, but if it’s a problem for any group just do what you’ve said.

                    Honestly, I’ve never been a part of any group in any system where aging was a problem anyone had to care about.
                    Which is why it should not be a power that is paid for, as it’s either a waste of points or a tax for a specific type of campaign.





                    Now I like the “Superman having some grey in his hair when you jump epochs into the future” trope, so I’m less inclined to go “you age normally but one dot of Mega-Stamina means you don’t age” and instead do something like....

                    Novas age at half speed by default. Each dot of Mega-Stamina halves that again. In addition one’s first transformation halves it, as does their first of the second tier of transformations.

                    Mega-Stamina 6 OR a third tier transformation results in total unaging.


                    Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by glamourweaver View Post

                      Which is why it should not be a power that is paid for, as it’s either a waste of points or a tax for a specific type of campaign.





                      Now I like the “Superman having some grey in his hair when you jump epochs into the future” trope, so I’m less inclined to go “you age normally but one dot of Mega-Stamina means you don’t age” and instead do something like....

                      Novas age at half speed by default. Each dot of Mega-Stamina halves that again. In addition one’s first transformation halves it, as does their first of the second tier of transformations.

                      Mega-Stamina 6 OR a third tier transformation results in total unaging.

                      Second on this.

                      On your later point you could always have it so that a Nova can spend Quantum energy to create minor, cosmetic, changes to their physical appearance. Including things like allow some grey in their hair.

                      I especially like this as it allows for the campaign plot of there being a seemingly very ancient looking nova living in the wilds away from civilization but once the PCs bring them into the fight the age seems to fade from them over days. Of course, this said, I would probably make such a massive change some sort of Mega-Edge ability.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by glamourweaver View Post

                        Which is why it should not be a power that is paid for, as it’s either a waste of points or a tax for a specific type of campaign.





                        Now I like the “Superman having some grey in his hair when you jump epochs into the future” trope, so I’m less inclined to go “you age normally but one dot of Mega-Stamina means you don’t age” and instead do something like....

                        Novas age at half speed by default. Each dot of Mega-Stamina halves that again. In addition one’s first transformation halves it, as does their first of the second tier of transformations.

                        Mega-Stamina 6 OR a third tier transformation results in total unaging.
                        The D20 version of Aberrant had Quantum slow aging. I might be inclined to add:

                        Novas age at half speed by default. Each dot of Mega-Stamina and/or Quantum halves that again. In addition one’s first transformation halves it, as does their first of the second tier of transformations.
                        D20 version of Aberrant also had Adaption as slowing aging by one year every decade, and I'd be inclined for regeneration to also halve aging, because of characters like Wolverine


                        Now I like the “Superman having some grey in his hair when you jump epochs into the future” trope,

                        ...

                        Mega-Stamina 6 OR a third tier transformation results in total unaging.
                        While Superman might have some grey hairs, other character concepts require unaging from the start. I'd have a 1 dot Unaging for this, which you get back if you ever hit Mega-Stamina 6 OR a third tier transformation

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by NineDaysDead View Post


                          While Superman might have some grey hairs, other character concepts require unaging from the start. I'd have a 1 dot Unaging for this, which you get back if you ever hit Mega-Stamina 6 OR a third tier transformation
                          I don’t think unaging should ever be charged for as it doesn’t give a mechanical advantage in game play.
                          Last edited by glamourweaver; 08-29-2019, 12:57 AM.


                          Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by NineDaysDead View Post
                            The D20 version of Aberrant had Quantum slow aging.
                            So did the original 1st edition Aberrant.
                            No Mega-Stamina lifespan 150+
                            1-2 dots likewise 150+
                            3 dots 180+
                            4 dots 200+
                            5 dots 250+
                            6 + dots doubles the lifespan 500+ at 6
                            7 dots 1000+
                            Etc.

                            In addition to those numbers Adaptability had the following line:
                            ”Moreover, the character’s lifespan is increased by centuries, if not more.”

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Possessed View Post

                              So did the original 1st edition Aberrant.
                              I said Quantum, not Mega-Stamina.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X