X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Graylion
    • Feb 2019

Perception in Storypath

Can someone point me towards how to manage the act of perception in Storypath (Scion, Trinity, Aberrant or other)

The previous ways I know are

01. Attribute + Dedicated Skill
    WoD, Exalted

02. Attribute + Atribute (or subbing a Skill)
    CoD

My assumption is that its Skill + Attribute most relevant similar to Initiative but I have nothing to back that up. Maybe relevant skill + cunning or composure

Example while driving pilot + cunning or composure

Thanks

Best regards
    Last edited by Graylion; 08-19-2019, 08:06 PM.

Roleplaying not Rollplaying or Ruleplaying
    Current Focus
    Storypath & Storypath to Run CoD, VtR, WtF, MtA
    Dungeons & Dragons 5th Edition
  • Mateus Luz
    • Jan 2019

You are correct on your assumption.

It’s up to the situation. For detecting adversaries in the nature use Survival + Cunning, for detecting details on a piece of technology use Technology + Cunning, to detect details in the face of a person use Integrity + Cunning.

It’s basically you use the ability of dealing with people to detect details in people, ability of surviving in the wild to identify things in the wild, etc.

House Rules - The Basics - House Rules for Trinity Continuum
    House Rules - Quantum - House Rules for Trinity Continuum: Aberrant
    House Rules - Psi - House Rules for Trinity Continuum: Æon
    Fists and Tomes - Inspired Martial Arts and Mysticism for Talents

Comment

• werlynn
      • Dec 2018

Would it be cunning or resolve? Doesn’t resolve include attention to detail?

Comment

• Mateus Luz
        • Jan 2019

Cunning is more about noticing details and fast thinking, while Resolve is more about mental endurance, keeping focus for longer periods is Resolve, but noticing the details is Cunning.

House Rules - The Basics - House Rules for Trinity Continuum
        House Rules - Quantum - House Rules for Trinity Continuum: Aberrant
        House Rules - Psi - House Rules for Trinity Continuum: Æon
        Fists and Tomes - Inspired Martial Arts and Mysticism for Talents

Comment

• werlynn
          • Dec 2018

Attention to detail is in the definition of Resolve.

Comment

• Heavy Arms
            • Nov 2013

Cunning is the default perception Attribute because the game is assuming that you're rolling under stress and quick processing is essential (must the same that the CofD defaults to Wits for the same thing).

Other Attributes can apply to perception if the SG feels it's appropriate. I would personally use Resolve instead of Cunning for something that's standing guard. As Mateus noted, a guard has to keep their mind sharp despite potentially long periods of nothing stimulating their minds, and thus their Resolve is easily more important than their Cunning. I'd likewise apply this to any sort of search where perseverance is more important than problem solving. Finding a needle in a haystack is just a matter of time and endurance.

Swapping in Intelligence (something the book does mention in a few places) is appropriate when the consideration is more about linking data together. Investigating a crime scene for clues, especially without a strong time crunch, isn't just about noticing details quickly, but orienting how those details all relate to each other.

Comment

• Heavy Arms
              • Nov 2013

Originally posted by werlynn View Post
              Attention to detail is in the definition of Resolve.
              The phrase "attention to detail," is usually more a matter of personal habits than actual sensory skills. It implies a level of meticulous and exact manners when approaching a task, rather than quick thinking, literally sensing things, or problem solving. It's a "slow and steady wins the race" sort of mentality.

Comment

Working...