Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Electrokinesis and biocomps

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Refreshing this to include mechanics for Ghost.

    Electromanipulation and bioapps.
    Note: These effects add to the Electromanipulation Mode for use against bioapps. They don’t negate Electromanipulation’s other effects.

    Through electromanipulation, EKs are generally as skilled at manipulating biomachines as they are hardtech electronics. Bioapps have an inherent resistance to such manipulation due to their psionic nature, with each bioapp imposing Difficulty equal to its Formatting Tolerance rating. If the electrokinetic fails to buy off this Difficulty her power has no effect on the bioapp. The Difficulty even applies to beneficial effects, though the formatted user of a formatted bioapp may remove the penalty if he chooses and is touching the bioapp. Alternatively, a psion may substitute her Psi Trait as Difficulty for electrokinetics to affect any of her formatted bioapps that are in physical contact with her. In addition, bioapps created and used by non-human species incur an additional +1 Difficulty for the electrokinetic. This penalty also applies to non-humans attempting to manipulate human bioware.

    Bioelectrical Awareness
    The psion can disrupt the bioelectric flows within bioapps, hampering their performance. The psion may impose +1 Difficulty per success spent for anyone to use the technology up to her Mode Dots. This endures for a number of rounds equal to the psion’s Mode Dots.

    Precision Understanding
    The psion can read any unencrypted data contained within a bioapp as per the one-dot Technokinesis ability Tap. Bioapps with an attitude (p. 195) add this to the Difficulty the psion must overcome. By spending one success the electrokinetic also gains insight into the function and purpose of the bioapp.

    Enhancement
    The psion can improve the performance of bioapps, granting a device +1 Enhancement per success spent up to a maximum of Mode Dots/2. This power lasts for the psion’s Duration.

    Anima
    Success allows the psion to control any unformatted bioapp with her Range as if it were formatted to her. She may control these bioapps at a distance as if she were directly using them as long as they remain within her Range. She may incur increased Difficulty or Complication in doing so depending on the bioapp and at the Storyguide’s discretion. For example, an unformatted bioapp gun controlled from a distance would be mostly limited to firing directly in front of it and would not be able to move to aim at targets to the side or behind it. Bioapps controlled through Anima do not count towards the psion’s Tolerance rating but the electrokinetic may only control a maximum number of bioapps this way equal to her Mode Dots. The psion must take control of each device through separate uses of this power. This power lasts Mode Dots time the psion’s Duration.

    Ghost
    The psion may use her bioelectrical mastery to ‘spoof’ the specific psionic signature of a bioapp’s formatted owner. Doing so gives the electrokinetic control of the bioware as if it were formatted to her but doesn’t count against her tolerance rating. Using Ghost in this manner doesn’t remove the original owner’s control but can make unhindered use of the device problematic for him. The bioapp’s formatted user must overcome a Complication equal to the electrokinetic’s Mode dots to use the bioapp. For actions and devices that don’t require a roll, the formatted owner must specifically make a relevant dice roll (as determined by the Storyguide) to try and overcome this Complication. Failing to overcome the Complication gives the electrokinetic the opportunity to interfere with the device. She may take an immediate reflexive action or wait until her turn to take an ordinary action with the device. The electrokinetic may spoof control of additional pieces of formatted bioware in contact with the original device or the formatted user by paying successes equal to the Formatted Tolerance rating. Psions aren’t limited to spoofing a single bioelectric signature through this power, but each individual copied is a separate use of the power. Each use of this power lasts Mode Dots times the electrokinetic’s Duration.
    Last edited by Bunyip; 08-27-2019, 05:07 AM.


    Writer. Developer. World of Darkness | Chronicles of Darkness | The Trinity Continuum

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by Bunyip View Post
      Bioelectrical Awareness
      The psion can disrupt the bioelectric flows within bioapps, hampering their performance. The psion may impose +1 Difficulty per success spent for anyone to use the technology. This endures for a number of rounds equal to the psion’s Mode dots.
      I'm thinking that this can be somewhat broken for a weapon bioapp. Maybe you could reduce the duration or bonus for weapons?

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by pcontop View Post

        I'm thinking that this can be somewhat broken for a weapon bioapp. Maybe you could reduce the duration or bonus for weapons?
        It's no different than the established effect, which inflicts "Difficulty equal to the number of successes rolled to her rolls for a number of Rounds equal to the psion’s Mode Dots" to ALL of a living target's actions.

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by Wynterknight View Post

          It's no different than the established effect, which inflicts "Difficulty equal to the number of successes rolled to her rolls for a number of Rounds equal to the psion’s Mode Dots" to ALL of a living target's actions.

          Oh, I'd say it's very different. One is limited to just an individual, the other works on every attack you make with the weapon for as long as you commit the effect. Two enhancements = 1 scale factor on the weapon.

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by pcontop View Post


            Oh, I'd say it's very different. One is limited to just an individual, the other works on every attack you make with the weapon for as long as you commit the effect. Two enhancements = 1 scale factor on the weapon.
            One affect ALL actions of the target, the other ALL actions using the equipment, so its restricted on the actions using of the weapon.

            And yes, I agree with the scale gain over the weapon, so yes, 2 free success on the weapon to make it less useful. The target will have to use other weapons or handle the difficulties, and that's quite fair.

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by pcontop View Post

              I'm thinking that this can be somewhat broken for a weapon bioapp. Maybe you could reduce the duration or bonus for weapons?
              Thanks for your thoughts but I don’t see the need. Against another psion, the electrokinetic has already likely had to overcome their Psi rating before she inflicted any penalty, which will be tricky unless she reasonably outclasses the opponent. Against a neutral, she’s had to overcome the Tolerance rating.

              Short version - don’t point bioapp weapons at electrokinetics, especially those more powerful than you.

              Other short version - it’s probably why the FSA ensures the military have hardtech, totally non-electrical backup sidearms, for when the psions inevitably overstep their bounds.


              Writer. Developer. World of Darkness | Chronicles of Darkness | The Trinity Continuum

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by Mateus Luz View Post

                One affect ALL actions of the target, the other ALL actions using the equipment, so its restricted on the actions using of the weapon.

                And yes, I agree with the scale gain over the weapon, so yes, 2 free success on the weapon to make it less useful. The target will have to use other weapons or handle the difficulties, and that's quite fair.
                Well, there are usually many more enemies than players. A penalty on an enemy lasts only so much as he lasts.
                As a bonus, a player can commit the weapon effect indefinitely, so it really adds up.

                You mean limit it to 2 enhancements?

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by Bunyip View Post

                  Thanks for your thoughts but I don’t see the need. Against another psion, the electrokinetic has already likely had to overcome their Psi rating before she inflicted any penalty, which will be tricky unless she reasonably outclasses the opponent. Against a neutral, she’s had to overcome the Tolerance rating.

                  Short version - don’t point bioapp weapons at electrokinetics, especially those more powerful than you.

                  Other short version - it’s probably why the FSA ensures the military have hardtech, totally non-electrical backup sidearms, for when the psions inevitably overstep their bounds.
                  In here, I meant not as a penalty, but as a bonus on a bioapp use. You could add any number of enhancements on a rifle and make it something like a vehicular weapon, and that would be too powerful.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    That isn't too out of bounds compared to a BK creating the belly button laser of doom with Chimera, or the enhancement that an EK can have on Bioelectric attack.

                    Chargen you can have 7 enhancement on a ThermoK's Flash, and that's even without being Dysfunctional.

                    As long as you can't stack multiple uses of Enhancement it is in line from my calculations.


                    Raksha are my fae-vorite.

                    Reincarnation of magnificentmomo.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by MoroseMorgan View Post
                      That isn't too out of bounds compared to a BK creating the belly button laser of doom with Chimera, or the enhancement that an EK can have on Bioelectric attack.

                      Chargen you can have 7 enhancement on a ThermoK's Flash, and that's even without being Dysfunctional.

                      As long as you can't stack multiple uses of Enhancement it is in line from my calculations.

                      Hum, flash is single-use only. I don't mind having huge damage if you don't get it forever for free.

                      With Chimera... OMFG, with 4 mode dots it gives you a weapon with 8 tag dots plus <successes> enhancements! (How did you come to 7 enhancements, specifically?) Also, with Form Mastery, as long as you can pay XP for the form, there's no real limit for the enhancements, pay 1 xp per 2 enhancements and you are good to go. I'd pay 5 XP for a +10 enhancement, 8 tag weapon happily and without remorse. This is also way, way broken, and should have a limit! And again, with form mastery, you could go Fusion Warhead damage without even needing to roll to activate the form.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by pcontop View Post


                        Hum, flash is single-use only. I don't mind having huge damage if you don't get it forever for free.

                        With Chimera... OMFG, with 4 mode dots it gives you a weapon with 8 tag dots plus <successes> enhancements! (How did you come to 7 enhancements, specifically?) Also, with Form Mastery, as long as you can pay XP for the form, there's no real limit for the enhancements, pay 1 xp per 2 enhancements and you are good to go. I'd pay 5 XP for a +10 enhancement, 8 tag weapon happily and without remorse. This is also way, way broken, and should have a limit! And again, with form mastery, you could go Fusion Warhead damage without even needing to roll to activate the form.
                        ThermoK 3- You get Mode Dots of enhancement 3, +1 enhancement for Mode dots higher than the power, +2 enhancement for Preferred Mode. IAD makes your mode count as one higher, so +1 more.

                        The Form Mastery part doesn't quite seem right though... I thought you had to roll or something, but looking back at it now there has to be something else to limit the amount of successes that I'm missing.


                        Raksha are my fae-vorite.

                        Reincarnation of magnificentmomo.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by pcontop View Post
                          You mean limit it to 2 enhancements?
                          Most bioapps are size scale 0 objects, so 2 enhancements from scale.

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X