Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Okay, how does defending work?

Hey, sorry, quick question.

So, I only have access to the quickstart summary of the TC Core rules that came with the Aberrant backer files. (I'll get the Trinity Continuum Core book whenever those go out, but that'll be a while. Aberrant backers don't get the PDFs until the backer kit goes out and that could be a few more days.)

I found out that NPCs have static defenses rather than actively rolling, but that just gave me yet another question.

The quickstart rules have "defending" listed right after the two main attack actions, and discuss defending as an "action." Elsewhere, they say that using an "action" uses up your Focus. My interpretation was that the "defending" thing was an action you could take instead of attacking, or you could take it as a combination action with an attack (which probably wouldn't be a good idea because you'd just be rolling your resilience attribute alone), but you couldn't attack and defend at the same time. It didn't sound very appealing.

Stuff I'm reading here is implying that the first time you're attacked in a round, you get a free defense roll that lasts for the rest of the turn, and that defending is not an actual "action" that takes Focus in game terms. Is that right?

PCs (and major NPCs the SG feels like using the full PC rules for) have two options for defending. First, as you noted, they can go for the free defense roll (this occurs the first time they get attacked in a turn) apply successes to Defense Stunts, usually Dodge to increase their Defense and making it harder to hit them. Second, they can opt to spend the round in full defense, this doubles their Defense pool, but this means they generally can't to anything else once they get Focus and pass it on having dedicated their round to defense.

It's worth remembering that having Focus and something being an action aren't the same thing. The character with Focus dictates what's going on, but if their action would result in another character taking an action, that character doesn't have to wait until they get Focus to respond; though defense is the major time this distinction really matters much.

Comment

Also of note, TC has the option for you to give up your action to reroll your Defense if you went the Free route and it didn't quite pan out.

A character’s standard Defense is 1 which sets the
      Difficulty of the attacker’s roll. A character can defend to
      increase the Difficulty an attack must overcome to successfully
      hit its target. The player may roll the most appropriate
      Reslience Attribute without any Skills and use successes
      on this roll to purchase Defensive Stunts. A player does not
      have to roll for defending until an attack is declared against
      her, but once she does the Stunts persist until the end of the
      round. If she is attacked again in the round, she may choose
      to give up her action to reset her Defense by rolling again,
      but she must keep the new result. Penalties to Defense
      from sources such as Injury Conditions can never bring the
      character’s Defense below 1.
      A character may want to spend her action in the
      round to take a full Defense. To do this, roll the character’s
      (Defense pool x 2). Each success increases
      the Difficulty required to inflict Injury, or may be
      split among other Defensive Stunts (including any
      Defensive Stunts granted by Edges). This is an ordinary
      action, and may not be part of a mixed action.

also also of note, antagonists don't roll their defense, and don't usually have their soft armor called out as separate from their defense, but SG's can stat up and treat an antagonist as a PC character is they are so inclined.

Raksha are my fae-vorite.

Reincarnation of magnificentmomo.

Comment

Originally posted by Heavy Arms View Post
        Very good explanations and descriptions

Best regards

Roleplaying not Rollplaying or Ruleplaying
        Current Focus
        Storypath & Storypath to Run CoD, VtR, WtF, MtA
        Dungeons & Dragons 5th Edition

Comment

Originally posted by MoroseMorgan View Post
          Very detailed and informative.

Best regards

Current Focus

Comment

Hi, guys, sorry to raise this question again, but I've wanted to get some things straight for myself.
            So let's assume I've decided to make a character who can go into space by himself, so I get that sweet-sweet Mega-Stamina at three dots, Adaptation enhancement and Eufiber suit.
            So if someone wants to shoot me, then my defense is 1, and I get to roll my resistance attribute, which I'm assuming is Stamina, right? So not exactly like dodge, more like brace for impact, I guess. Assuming I got some successes, it my new Defense would be somewhat like 3.
            So attacker now has to get at least three successes on his 8d10 dicepool to actually hit me, and thanks to Soft Armor 2 of my Eufiber suit, he'll have to have two more to actually deal any sort of lasting damage.
            That much I get, I think, but I'm not sure how exactly Mega-Stamina helps in this regard - it says that it's Scale 3, and normal firearms attacks and low-level quantum bolts are Scale1, do I get a scale difference to my defense roll or something? Or could it be used in narrative to just dismiss attack altogether?

Comment

You are thinking correct, BUT MSta don’t add scale to direct damage, so it don’t affect the damage at all.

Let’s say you got Durability 3, that add armor and scale, in this case the attacker will have difficulty 9 (3 from your roll plus 6 from scale) before even think about the armor. Virtually impossible for a regular person with a regular weapon.

If you had MSta and Durability 4 you don’t need to worry even about the attacker lucky, because your scale is overwhelming to regular people. You are completely bullet proof, only weapons scale 2 (anti vehicle weapon) or more can have a chance to bypass your skin, and only on extreme lucky shots.

Comment

Let’s say you got Durability 3, that add armor and scale, in this case the attacker will have difficulty 9 (3 from your roll plus 6 from scale)
                I see, so without Durability, just Mega-Stamina 3 someone getting shot by a Scale 1 attack, it would be then 1+successes+2 scale difference for defense roll? And it toughness goes down real fast when someone fights novas of equal power, having attack with three dots and more, which seems to be reasonable...

Comment

MStam doesn't have any effect on direct damage. Mega-Attributes now only apply in specific instances spelled out under the power; they don't blanket improve all uses of the Attribute.

MStam 3, if you take a Bruised condition you can resolve it in 16 hours,instead of 2days.

MStam has tangible benefits, but they aren't as sexy as some of the others without some of the Mega-Edges. I'm interested to see how it comes out on the other side of editing. In the interim, using Narrative Scale enhancment instead of Dramatic for the healing time increase may not be a bad idea.

Comment

If with no Durability you are as tough as a normal person with the same Stamina, as you don’t gain scale from Mega Stamina. But yes, the Defence is 1 + 2 x Scale difference + Dodge (you can use the successes to do other defence stunts).

I didn’t get the idea of toughness, I mean, you don’t lose multiple health boxes, only 1 (2 on critical). Unless the attacker have scales abovife the target, possibly causing 1 additional injury per scale above (sf pay for the proper cause injury stunt), but if the target have scales above the attacker it’s not possible.

Comment

If it helps at all from a visualization perspective:

Mega-Stamina is the base Mega-Attribute for Deadpool concepts and Colossus concepts, with the Mega-Edges you take around it being what separates the two.

Neither of them is supernaturally hard to hit. Colossus is supernaturally hard to hurt (Durability), and can take a ton of hits even if you do (Dense Flesh), and Deadpool is as squishy as any human but he can recover in seconds (Regeneration).

One of the big benefits (IMO) to 2e's approach of moving a lot of things out of the Mega-Attributes and into Mega-Edges is that you can take the core idea of "hard to keep down in a fight," and then express it in a few ways rather than locking it down into one way to handling defense via Mega-Stamina making you nearly impossible to hit.

Comment

Originally posted by Heavy Arms View Post
                        If it helps at all from a visualization perspective:

Mega-Stamina is the base Mega-Attribute for Deadpool concepts and Colossus concepts, with the Mega-Edges you take around it being what separates the two.

Neither of them is supernaturally hard to hit. Colossus is supernaturally hard to hurt (Durability), and can take a ton of hits even if you do (Dense Flesh), and Deadpool is as squishy as any human but he can recover in seconds (Regeneration).

One of the big benefits (IMO) to 2e's approach of moving a lot of things out of the Mega-Attributes and into Mega-Edges is that you can take the core idea of "hard to keep down in a fight," and then express it in a few ways rather than locking it down into one way to handling defense via Mega-Stamina making you nearly impossible to hit.
                        Nice explanation and superhero comparison.

Current Focus

Comment

Point of order- Durability isn't tied to Mege-Stamina, only Quantum.

Comment

Originally posted by MoroseMorgan View Post
                            Point of order- Durability isn't tied to Mege-Stamina, only Quantum.
                            Because Durability is based on the old Armor power and not any MSta enhancement, while Dense Flesh and Regeneration were enhancements (kind of).

Comment

Regeneration doesn't have to go through Mega-Stamina either.

The point was to illustrate how Mega-Stamina oriented concepts look different based on what you take beyond Mega-Stamina, not dictate a single path towards any specific power or combination of powers.

Comment

Working...
                              X