No announcement yet.

Monsters

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That idea of Hive Mind is one thing that can by itself be the “essentially antagonist” point. A Hive Mind don’t need a full grown intellect in the collective, the master behind it (if any) can be just as smart as a group of ants, or even less if you have a psionic connection between the members to make them work as a single organism, not different from a creature using it’s jaws to bite, but on a different scale.

Even a highly intelligent Hive Mind can be a great unquestionable antagonist if it can’t see the characters as equals, like the Zergs and Borgs, that have the single objective of evolve to perfection. What guides them is the final objective, so they get what is needed from the adversaries, learning or absorbing, and than remove the weaklings (in this case entire species).

Comment

Originally posted by Eldagusto View Post
      Love the Zerg. How About Dragons and Mutant Dynosaaaurs? OR Demons, mindless ones that possess Animals or Humans or Corpses so whoever they possess are already dead by the possession and mutate into monsters?
      Yeah the Zerg are awesome. Amusingly enough I would love to play a game where you play a sapient Zerg creature like a Cerebrate. I think it would be fun.

Giant reptilian flying creatures, "Look man, I tell you it was a dragon" "It can't be, there aint anything like that" WOOSH. "Ah. I stand corrected."

hehe

But yeah something happening and suddenly dragon and dragon like creatures and dynosaurs now upon the world would be cool.

On demons, well, I like the idea of something being able to say psychically possess or influence more bestial animals but I don't think I would ever go the Demon route. Mostly that adds a whole spiritual side to the equation of the setting that I am not keen or interested in asking.

Originally posted by Bluecho View Post
      On another point, monsters that are formed into a hive mind make for good antagonists, if one assumes there is a "Controller" or "Master". Whether this controller is simply a designated member of the species or some other intelligence mastering them, the effect is the same. You don't need to justify why an entire species is hostile and refuses to negotiate. You just need to justify why their master is hostile and unwilling to negotiate. A whole race being evil strains credulity, whereas a single evil individual is almost expected.

This, incidentally, is also how one could justify throwing killer robots at the PCs. Robots, biological experiments, giant insects brought up from the hollow earth and hypnotized into servitude. Break open any number of comic books from the Silver Age, and it's a gold mine for ideas.
      So sapient, though honestly most people use sentient to represent human thinking and you totally knew what I meant. But yeah, sapient is what I meant.

That said, I honestly thought that the Xenomorphs had a civilization. That said I am obviously wrong and that is cool because them being intelligent beasts is perfect - they are a monster not a sapient race like humanity. (At least at this point. dun dun dun!!!" hehe

On Hive Mind Creatures. YES. Totally. You have one big bad that can't be reasoned with doing something that makes all the other creatures insanely hostile. You deal with said one creature the others go feral, which depending on species could either mean simply grazing all peacefully or they run or they fight, but if its the later then it is not in an organized intelligent way so its better off.

Plus it allows for individual Controller Creatures to serve as Zone Bosses that once killed lead to the securing of said area and thus serving as a stepping stone to further advancing.

I totally have nothing against the idea of say there being Nine Sapient Bosses in a Species who use their psychic abilities to create a horde of lesser minions. You slowly take the Bosses out one by one and the whole network that the species did collapses. Of course at one point you realize that there was eleven Sapient Bosses with one being destroyed by some mysterious force and the eleventh actually running away to survive. Oh, and one of the nine wishes to parlay because he doesn't want to die like his brethren. Oh, and just so you know there is SOMETHING OTHER that now you have to face. Good luck!

So yeah. Lots of potential when you go with Hive Minds and single sentient forces controlling hordes and swarms and broods of animalistic monstrous minions.

As you say you can easily add in robots or something else to the same basic idea and have it go.

Good post. Lots of fantastic ideas.

Originally posted by Mateus Luz View Post
      That idea of Hive Mind is one thing that can by itself be the “essentially antagonist” point. A Hive Mind don’t need a full grown intellect in the collective, the master behind it (if any) can be just as smart as a group of ants, or even less if you have a psionic connection between the members to make them work as a single organism, not different from a creature using it’s jaws to bite, but on a different scale.

Even a highly intelligent Hive Mind can be a great unquestionable antagonist if it can’t see the characters as equals, like the Zergs and Borgs, that have the single objective of evolve to perfection. What guides them is the final objective, so they get what is needed from the adversaries, learning or absorbing, and than remove the weaklings (in this case entire species).
      Yeah. True. Too true. Lots of potential. Lots of interesting dynamics to this.

Heck, a side idea, that I just thought of, is that by facing a sapient force the non-sapient Hive Mind might grow and development and gain the ability to think "I AM". Which might require the assimilation of human biomass. Or something. But either way it is an interesting story perspective. Something that could be fun.

Not to say it doesn't gain sapience and then decide to still eat everything. I mean that is an option. lol.

But it does make it interesting and a very fun seeming antagonist.

Comment

Dinosaurs.

The apocalypse caused the birds to revert to previous genetic imprints and now you have all the theropod Dinosaurs back.

Hive mind entities holding together herds of Dinosaurs sounds like a pretty awesome group of bad guys.

Comment

Demons don't need to be Magical/spiritual, they could just be immaterial Aliens that use Psi. So maybe a degeneration of lifeforms that failed to Psi Ascend and evolved into beast life, perhaps more insectile, kind of like the Brood, who are a helluva lot like the Zerg.

It is a time for great deeds!

Comment

So we've basically described The Coalition and Doyen now...

edit: thinking about it, we may have also described Chromatics...
            Last edited by MoroseMorgan; 09-04-2019, 04:30 PM.

Raksha are my fae-vorite.

Reincarnation of magnificentmomo.

Comment

I like the idea of something in the apocalypse bringing back Dinosaurs. I mean they are so large and fierce that even them being themselves would cause us problems. So that could be fun.

And then the plot thickens as someone notices that some of the dinosaurs attacking seem to be a bit more coordinated then normal. This leads to research and discovery that something is controlling them and then bam. Whole campaign arc.

++

On Demons. Well, there is too much mental baggage for me to use the name without them representing demons and so I would have to come up with some other name for a non demon demon. lol

Leading to us getting towards Chromatics, Coalition, or the Doyn. So much fun potential.

++

To all thanks, so many fantastic fun ideas here. So much to think about. To imagine around.

Comment

Creature that are constantly hungry or in pain (and thus desperate) can seem pretty evil. Mutation can easily account for such conditions, and putting them down out of mercy as well as survival is easier to justify than calling them evil.

“Humpty had always sat on walls, it was his way.”
                Jasper Fforde, The Big Over Easy

Comment

Somewhere there was a random generator for Gamma World which put out some very off the wall creatures. Should take a look at that.

Roleplaying not Rollplaying or Ruleplaying
                  Current Focus
                  Storypath & Storypath to Run CoD, VtR, WtF, MtA
                  Dungeons & Dragons 5th Edition

Comment

Working...
                  X