Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What if...? Aberrant edition

Greetings everyone,

The purpose of this topic, as the name suggests, is to imagine several divergent points in the official history of Aberrant that will either prevent or change the Aberrant war (which isn't necessarily good, it could end in a worse future). I will start with one then feel free to comment and share your own.

First of all, there are is an event in the aberrant history that, at least for me, becomes a point of no return and makes the aberrant war practically inevitable: When the Space Brigade aberrant group invades the Olympus Lunar base. The closer the different changes and divergent points get to that event the harder will be to prevent the war (but not to change the way it develops).

What if...Divis Mal had intervened to prevent the war?

As one of the main protagonists of trinity continuum, I believe his intervention, whatever form it takes, would radically change the world of aberrant. I know Divis Mal is a firm believer in non-intervention, but in this particular scenario as he saw his dream slowly crumbling around him he finally decided to do something. Why? I leave the reason to you, maybe his pantheon managed to convince him to do something or maybe it was simply to prove Max Mercer wrong. In any case, here's one way in which he could have helped

Chrysalis becomes public

Following the intention of Divis Mal to keep his involvement as low as possible, the first option is the most simple: Share the secrets of Chrysalis. Divis Mal wants novas to reach their potential, but a world full of corrupted aberrants is the furthest thing from his dream. In an effort to reduce the number of unstable novas, he concludes that the only way to stop it is to reveal the secrets of Chrysalis and nova corruption.
    The question is to who exactly does he reveal it? Taking into account his rivalry with Max Mercer and disdain for baseline governments, I just can't see him sharing it with any of the major organizations in the world. So here's how it goes, Divis Mal and his pantheon reveal their knowledge to the world in a press conference. They also announce the creation of a worldwide network of clinics and sanctuaries that offer the treatment, and counseling, for free regardless of the status and background of the nova. However, the chrysalis that Divis Mal gives is a watered-down version focused on alleviating corruption and managing the transformation exclusively. Those who embrace his philosophy get to know the full version.
    Many believe that their objective is to calm the public and world leaders, but that is only a positive side effect. In reality, their message is clear: We are the true path of novas because we understand novas better than anyone else. As such, the ranks of the Teragen will grow exponentially and public opinion regarding the movement improves a little bit, which will put all the other major organizations in a pitch. They will try to delay sharing the details of the chrysalis with the rest of governments and organizations as much as possible to keep the initial advantage.
    Thing is, even if they share chrysalis soon, the Chrysalis is a confirmation that Novas can become corrupted monsters if they are not careful. This could change public opinion, how depends again on how soon Divis Mal shares the knowledge. If it's at the begining the public becomes a bit more suspicious but still accepts novas, if it's close to the end then it may trigger the aberrant war sooner. In any case, it will forever change the perception of Novas as perfect gods with no flaws.

What if...the Teragen created their own nation?

One of the main divergent points in the aberrant timeline is when Geryon and his Aberrants attempt to “crash” a meeting of the UN General Assembly in New York City in the coming year, claiming a “sovereign right” to address that body and issue a series of demands on behalf of nova-kind, and their epic battle with team tomorrow. What if this wasn't how it happened? Here's one possible option.

In this particular timeline, the "leaders" of the network faction had much more influence in the Teragen. However, they weren't happy with the status quo, they craved turning their faction into something official, a real political entity acknowledged in the world. In other words, they wanted their own nation. Their opportunity came when they became aware of Geryon's plan.
    The thing is their intention wasn't to stop him, but to support his move (and carefully control it from the shadows). If the network was created their nation, then they needed something big, a spectacle to make their plans clear to the world. Thing is the UN needed a god scare to understand how serious they were in their intentions, but not so much that they wouldn't hear them out.
    So, instead of just storming the UN, they managed to convince the Geryon and the aberrants to conduct a peaceful manifestation in front of the assembly to reclaim representation. However, they also explained that it was all a ruse. The network set the manifestation so a group of policemen would panic and attack the Novas. Geryon and their aberrants would reduce them without killing, but making sure everyone saw their raw power and how easily they could end them if they wanted to.
    After that Geryon would try to march inside the Assembly at which point Team Tomorrow would intervene to try and stop him. A very tense moment would follow in which Geryon and the aberrants would question Team Tomorrow's loyalty to Novas and why they were trying to stop their right to be heard. A discussion starts which starts to get heated, but no side throws the first punch.
    The network had also been working in the shadows so some of the leaders at the UN assembly would show sympathy for Geryon and press to let them speak to prevent the situation from escalating. So, Team Tomorrow receives the order to let them in which they agree to do with great reluctance. One inside Geryon delivers his speech to the world about recognizing the right of Novas to have a nation.
    When the question as to what piece of land would they reclaim as their own when they had all been claimed Geryon smiled and gave them his answer: They would build one from scratch. Their plan was to create an artificial island on the Atlantic using the combined powers of several high-level novas. Geryon finished his speech saying that they weren't asking for permission, they were going to do it regardless of whether the assembly decided to recognize the nation or not. Then they left leaving everyone speechless.
    The followings weeks saw the media on fire with debates about the nova nation while the whole world watched as the novas created a new island in the middle of the Atlantic. What very few people know is that the network had spent the past months making secret deals with many nations to gain their support in the final decision. However, the biggest surprise came when the Directive and its member nations approved the initiative. Their reason was a simple one: it would be easier to keep an eye (and bomb them from orbit) on aberrants if they were all gathered in one place.
    The vote was cast and new nation was born, both figuratively as the decision was announced and literally as the final plot of land raised from the sea. The funny thing is that creating the island and building the infrastructure to maintain a population were the easy parts with the network's access to vast resources in terms of wealth, contacts, and nova powers. The tricky thing came when deciding how to rule themselves.
    At first, the network didn't want to go against the ideals of the Teragen and they choose a direct democracy with few laws and great respect for individual freedoms.
    The young nation quickly rose to superpower status in record time since it had gathered some of the most powerful individuals in the world in every sense of the word. However, internal conflicts threaten to bring everything down. The reality is that for all their talk about respecting individual freedom the network made sure that they were the "unoficial" government of the island. As more novas come to that realization what was once walking towards an anarchist utopia is quickly devolving into the same old struggle for power between different factions.
    And so, how would a Nova nation affect the aberrant war? Well, having a nation would give many Novas a much-needed sense of identity and pride. A place where they could be amongst people who understand what they are going through and show their true selves. Their leaders would also provide purpose and direction as they laid a plan for the future. In these conditions, what would be the point of a war with humanity?
    Of course, this is assuming everything works out in the end which we know it's never that simple. The Nova nation is the creation of the network faction, what about the other teragen factions? Would they consider it a betrayal of the Teragen's principles? What if other Novas decided to create their own nations inspired by them? or worse, conquer one? What if a faction within the Nova nation (possibly the aberrants) decide that the island is not enough and that the should have more territory?

This is what I got for now. I will post more possible paths later. Hope you like it. Thanks for your feedback.
    Last edited by Firanai; 08-31-2019, 05:45 AM.

He IS a scientist, he could just tell all to the world. What if instead of allowing the Aeon society and Proteus to sequester vital knowledge of the mechanisms of quantum channeling, the Teragen think tank (spearheaded by Apothecary) unleashed their more intimate knowledge of the consequences of quantum overuse and its results to the world? In doing so, they would inform the world's nova population on just WHY novas keep mutating and/or burning out after repeated massive expenditures of quantum. Coupling this with a second manifesto from the pantheon itself (the lettered ones anyway) detailing the specific programs of willful abuse of nova personnel would immediately create talk that brings such initiatives under more scrutiny. And while I can't see the terats preaching tolerance per se, I CAN see them advocating separation from baseline politics and remaining neutral with a touch of self-interest.

Comment

Originally posted by Darksol-aeternium View Post
      He IS a scientist, he could just tell all to the world. What if instead of allowing the Aeon society and Proteus to sequester vital knowledge of the mechanisms of quantum channeling, the Teragen think tank (spearheaded by Apothecary) unleashed their more intimate knowledge of the consequences of quantum overuse and its results to the world? In doing so, they would inform the world's nova population on just WHY novas keep mutating and/or burning out after repeated massive expenditures of quantum. Coupling this with a second manifesto from the pantheon itself (the lettered ones anyway) detailing the specific programs of willful abuse of nova personnel would immediately create talk that brings such initiatives under more scrutiny. And while I can't see the terats preaching tolerance per se, I CAN see them advocating separation from baseline politics and remaining neutral with a touch of self-interest.
      Thanks for your feedback. I've used it to make some modifications to my initial version that I believe make more sense.

Comment

A more proactive Divis Mal is an interesting idea to me. What if he didn't just cause N-Day but hours afterward he came out and announced not so much that he caused it but that he knows about it. It would be nifty to see a world where the Teragen was an organization that took the place of Utopia. I totally could see said organization going the Separate But Equal route when it comes to international law. With maybe the idea that only Novas are truly the peers of other Novas and thus only they can sit in judgement over Nova.

The other idea is that we change which faction or branch of Teragen that 'wins' / dominates the whole Night of Knives thing that goes on. This faction is les about blowing up humanity and more about finding a way to organize things.

Another What If? could be what if the N-Day event didn't automatically protect the solar system but actually brought Earth to the attention of Dark Horrors (be it Doyn or something else) from outer space. Now we have an Earth that is besieged by an alien threat but protected by Novas.

Or What If? the N-Day event didn't just touch Novas but also led to an awakening of Psiads as well. So at the same time we have a few thousand Novas and a few thousand Psiads, both with different power sources and systems.

Or What If? the N-Day event didn't just create Novas but also caused certain tears in the fabric of normal world leading to the formation of rifts that led to locations on other worlds. Now Earth has many of these natural portals, portals that allow for two way travel between here and there. Novas are the best at closing them or redirecting them and so the Teragen take up the role of working to defend the Earth by portal mastery.

But yeah the idea of Divis Mal announcing Chrysalis and such and providing a sort of counterbalanced hand of guidance to humanity is really nifty and cool.

Comment

As I see, the problem with Chrysalis is not the way it works, it’s more about training, practice and a desire to go far beyond the regular humans can. The knowledge related to the Terat theory is more about the mindset than the filiation.

Actually, it seams that ANY Nova can learn how to if go after a Nova who has been thru the process and ask for help. I mean, the Teragen is not a Scientology group where you must be invited or something, it’s more about believing in the philosophy behind it and practicing it, any Nova, even on Aeon Society and Utopia, can be a Terat.

Comment

Originally posted by Mateus Luz View Post
            As I see, the problem with Chrysalis is not the way it works, it’s more about training, practice and a desire to go far beyond the regular humans can. The knowledge related to the Terat theory is more about the mindset than the filiation.

Actually, it seams that ANY Nova can learn how to if go after a Nova who has been thru the process and ask for help. I mean, the Teragen is not a Scientology group where you must be invited or something, it’s more about believing in the philosophy behind it and practicing it, any Nova, even on Aeon Society and Utopia, can be a Terat.
            I agree with what you say. That's why I'm working on the assumption that Divis Mal, being the genius he is, creates a "lesser" version of the chrysalis that is focused exclusively in alleviating corruption and helping the nova control their transformation. Those who decide to follow his philosophy get taught the full version.

Comment

Another idea.

What If? when N-Day occurred a massive quantum-infused continent-island rose from the depths of the Atlantic Ocean. Within days the barren surface was green again, within weeks trees were there, within a month animal life was present upon the continent. While Aeon Society and Utopia were doing stuff around the world Divis Mal and the Teragen declared this land to be of Novakind for Novakind. Let us say that while the island-continent could be seen by satellite from space something caused planes and ships and such to veer around it as if it was not there.

They just needed to secure it first. This was harder then first thought as the continent was 'overrun' by monstrous Quantum-infused monsters. Thankfully, the quantum structure of the island-continent flowed in lines and gathered in nodes and by defeating that which lay upon them and attuning them to Novakind particular regions - called Zones - could be 'tamed' and made safe for habitation.

Originally posted by Firanai View Post

I agree with what you say. That's why I'm working on the assumption that Divis Mal, being the genius he is, creates a "lesser" version of the chrysalis that is focused exclusively in alleviating corruption and helping the nova control their transformation. Those who decide to follow his philosophy get taught the full version.
              There being a lesser common Chrysalis that any Nova can use which reduces Corruption is awesome. It also allows for a reason that one accepts the greater teachings of the Teragen - for with that comes access to a greater version of Chryalis. So yeah, I like this, a lot.

Plus it gives more in-game activity ot Divis Mal which in my opinion is always a good thing.

Comment

Originally posted by LordHeru View Post
                Another idea.

What If? when N-Day occurred a massive quantum-infused continent-island rose from the depths of the Atlantic Ocean. Within days the barren surface was green again, within weeks trees were there, within a month animal life was present upon the continent. While Aeon Society and Utopia were doing stuff around the world Divis Mal and the Teragen declared this land to be of Novakind for Novakind. Let us say that while the island-continent could be seen by satellite from space something caused planes and ships and such to veer around it as if it was not there.

They just needed to secure it first. This was harder then first thought as the continent was 'overrun' by monstrous Quantum-infused monsters. Thankfully, the quantum structure of the island-continent flowed in lines and gathered in nodes and by defeating that which lay upon them and attuning them to Novakind particular regions - called Zones - could be 'tamed' and made safe for habitation.

There being a lesser common Chrysalis that any Nova can use which reduces Corruption is awesome. It also allows for a reason that one accepts the greater teachings of the Teragen - for with that comes access to a greater version of Chryalis. So yeah, I like this, a lot.

Plus it gives more in-game activity ot Divis Mal which in my opinion is always a good thing.

Ha! I've spent almost all day writing about the idea of a Nova Nation and didn't saw your post till I finished mine. The only difference is that in my version they create the island from scratch.

Comment

Originally posted by Firanai View Post

Ha! I've spent almost all day writing about the idea of a Nova Nation and didn't saw your post till I finished mine. The only difference is that in my version they create the island from scratch.
                  I love nova nation and island building ideas quite a lot. I think more of suxh things are needed.

Having Novas build there new home is brilliant. It allows for society and politics and city building elements.

I would love a campaign on that topic.

Comment

In our longest running chronicle building/creating an island nation for Novas has been my characters long term goal. Unfortunately he doesn’t have powers that would allow him to do so. At least untill he finds a more permanent way to make Light solid through his Ligh Mastery and can build his island of light somewhere on the Pacific.

Comment

Originally posted by Possessed View Post
                      In our longest running chronicle building/creating an island nation for Novas has been my characters long term goal. Unfortunately he doesn’t have powers that would allow him to do so. At least untill he finds a more permanent way to make Light solid through his Ligh Mastery and can build his island of light somewhere on the Pacific.
                      Having an island-continent of manfiested and solid light would very much say "we Novas are like unto the gods!" It would be an epic focal point for a campaign.

Honestly the whole idea of a campaign set around the creation of a continent, and then the securing of said continent, and then the building on said continent, and then dealing with the ramifications of having said continent would be awesome. At the very start the PCs are basically agent minions of the person or organization sponsoring the continent but as time goes on, and experience is gained, the once minion PCs get promoted up the chain till by the time events reach epic proportions they are basically among the movers and shakers of said operation.

This to me sounds awesome.

I could see variants where in the Aberrant War the continent surrounds itself in a protective bubble and declares neutrality in wider conflicts or it leaves somehow. So much potential.

Comment

You all forgetting about Qui Meng? Seems that way. Guess we'll see if they touch on it at all in future books.

Comment

Originally posted by LordHeru View Post

Having an island-continent of manfiested and solid light would very much say "we Novas are like unto the gods!" It would be an epic focal point for a campaign.

Honestly the whole idea of a campaign set around the creation of a continent, and then the securing of said continent, and then the building on said continent, and then dealing with the ramifications of having said continent would be awesome. At the very start the PCs are basically agent minions of the person or organization sponsoring the continent but as time goes on, and experience is gained, the once minion PCs get promoted up the chain till by the time events reach epic proportions they are basically among the movers and shakers of said operation.

This to me sounds awesome.

I could see variants where in the Aberrant War the continent surrounds itself in a protective bubble and declares neutrality in wider conflicts or it leaves somehow. So much potential.
                          Well my characters, the one who is planning for his own island continent of light, main powers are of teleportation and warp so if it came to that he just might take his island and move out.

Comment

What If? Divis Mal put out a call a few years or maybe a decade after N-Day to all Novas asking for them to all meet in private conference on some island he owns. Every Nova in the world answers the call - and those who don't get visited by someone important asking for them to reconsider. Divis Mal declares that no violence will be allowed to occur before, during, and after the meeting. That nothing said or discussed will be reported to outside. That nothing will be recorded. Its a meeting for novas by novas and only them. Nothing else. No governments. No UN. No Utopia. No Aeon. Just Novas*.

Said meeting, the Grand Convocation, is a three day affair and is game changing.

Its also the start of the campaign, and a place where all player novas get to meet everyone else.

This to me would be epic.

*PS. I think Divis Mal would allow Psiads to be present. They are after all just as enhanced as Novas are. Just in a different way.

Comment

What if? N-Day led to a world with a System, one with Blue Screens and Characteristic Sheets. Characteristic Sheets that actually showed attributes and skills and edges and powers. From this point on humans - even everyday average people - now could see XP and stats and use it to actively directly improve themselves. Obviously this System would be described as some sort of quantum noetic structure or something, to give it a basis.

A lot would change but I also think it would be pretty nifty.

Another side effect could be the appearance of Dungeons, special locations that served as training tools, resource gathering stops, and fighting experience. Dungeons are natural and exist as pocket spaces accessed by special doorways and are located all around the world.

Comment

Working...
                              X