[Homebrew] Psychic Quantum Powers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Homebrew] Psychic Quantum Powers

This is an outgrowth from the Aberrant thread over at RPG.net - I started a bit of a kerfluffle with my comment that I missed psychic powers from the nova power rules. But a lot of folks pointed out that they were relatively easy to add back, so I figured I'd take a swing at it and get feedback from folks. The goal is to basically add psychic powers along the lines of those that existed in the first edition, since I am not planning on using Psiads a separate character type in my own game - no shade meant on those who want to, I just prefer to roll it all under novas.

Was hoping folks could take a look and let me know if anything seems broken or unbalanced about the powers written up here. Starting with an attempt at converting Telepathy from 1E to 2E, will probably also do Domination, Mental Blast, and Mirage at some point, but I am curious to get a reaction to this one first before trying others.

Telepathy

Quantum Minimum: 3
    Action: Ordinary
    Cost: 2 Quantum Points
    Dice Pool: Quantum + Power
    Range: Close
    Duration: Concentration

This power grants a nova several related abilities which typically manifest as "psychic powers." A telepathic nova is able to use his quantum consciousness to read the minds of others and perform similar tasks.

To read minds, the nova observes the target and makes a roll of Quantum + Power with a difficulty equal to the target's Composure. [Treat this part as identical to the 'Revealing Read' Mega-Edge; text not reproduced here in case that would break any rules.] A character whose mind is being read is automatically aware of that fact and of who is doing the reading.

To communicate between minds, the nova observes the target and spends quantum points to activate the power. No roll is necessary; the target 'hears' the nova's voice in his mind, and may communicate back to the nova if desired for as long as the nova concentrates to maintain the connection. Mental conversation takes place at the same rate as normal conversation, but Telepathy overcomes the language barrier - two characters who cannot speak to each other verbally because they don't know the same languages can communicate without difficulty using Telepathy.

Telepathy can also be used to scan for another person's mind or "mental signature." The telepath may roll against a difficulty of the target's Composure to find a specific mind within the power's Range, provided he scores at least one success on his roll. That one success tells him the person's general location and direction, but nothing more. The more successes, the more precisely the location can be determined. A telepath must have a specific mind to search for. If he can only describe the mind "generically" ("I'm looking for the mind of the nearest UN official") the difficulty of the roll increases by 1 or more (Storyguide's discretion). Once he finds the target mind, the telepath may attempt mental communication / reading normally.

(Note that this ability is limited by the power's maximum Range; a nova who wishes to use his power to scan over long distances will need to increase Range with Power Tags.)

Lastly, Telepathy can be used to alter existing memories or false memories. A psychic link must first be established as described above; then the nova spends additional Quantum Points and rolls against a difficulty of the target's Composure. The number of successes needed to implant a memory depends how important the memory is:

1 Success - Trivial memories: What you did yesterday, your favorite food
    2 Successes - Minor memories: Your birthday or anniversary, crucial job facts
    3 Successes - Important memories: Vital personal facts, blackmail information, insider information
    4 Successes - Very important memories: Security codes, national security data

The power also allows the following Special Power Tags:

Surreptitious - The target will not be aware his mind is being read if the nova does not wish him to be.
    Telepathic Channeling - The telepath may use other mental powers or Social Mega-Edges through an established telepathic link, regardless of distance to target.

Noble endeavor and I’m all for it!

It is a time for great deeds!

Comment

I'm all for this, even though I don't plan to use it for my proper Aberrant games, any homebrew games where I drift the rules I'll gladly throw psychic powers back in. That way, I can play a regular supers game using the Storypath System, which would be an awesome experience, I believe.

Comment

Im completely a fan of this project and the idea of these powers returning. So thumbs up on the attempt amd I look forward to seeing what you come up with. Especially as I never thought the powers should have been removed in the first place.

As far as this power is concerned my one thought is that mind reading shouldn't automatically be detected. Some sort of reveal roll works better for him.

Comment

Awesome, very interesting indeed. The idea of a more detectable Telepathy is great, as you can add tags to make it subtle.

I, personally, would break in 3 powers, one for communication, one for memory manipulation and one for mind control, and make them Techniques (I love the idea of techniques). Also I would make all the social Mega Edges that simulate Telepathy possible to get as tags of Telepathy, make it easier to deal with it.

Just as a comment, I did enjoy your work, even not planning to use in Aberrant (probably on other settings using the rules), and would buy it in the Nexus if you make it available (and add some more powers, to worth the price). My suggestions are just a matter of opinion, not asking to change or anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Mateus Luz View Post
            I, personally, would break in 3 powers, one for communication, one for memory manipulation and one for mind control, and make them Techniques (I love the idea of techniques). Also I would make all the social Mega Edges that simulate Telepathy possible to get as tags of Telepathy, make it easier to deal with it.
            I thought about that approach, and I am not sure it isn’t a better way to do it, but I figured that made it a bit trickier to set the various costs/power levels. Whereas the book currently has several examples of powers that were roughly comparable in power level to Telepathy in 1E and did get updated, so if I kept it as one more powerful ability I could look at those and kind of see how they updated them.

I do like that the way they made dice pools for powers are now mostly separate from Mega-Attributes, since it means a telepath doesn’t also need to be a Mega-Social to be effective, and I do still like the idea of a distinction between a psychic and someone using Mega-Edges - I just wanted to make both options available for an Aberrant game without busting into a separate character type.
            Last edited by MrApophenia; 09-09-2019, 07:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MrApophenia View Post
              ... I do still like the idea of a distinction between a psychic and someone using Mega-Edges - I just wanted to make both options available for an Aberrant game without busting into a separate character type.
              As a side comment, the way they made the mega social Attributes and Edges were intended to feel like Telepathy, so it’s more about fluff than rules. Yet, it’s extremely expensive for a Nova to simulate a few dots of Telepathy. If you merge them, as you did, it gets a better cost/benefit. If you turn the other mega edges into Powers, it can be turned into techniques, becoming even better.

Comment

Originally posted by Mateus Luz View Post

As a side comment, the way they made the mega social Attributes and Edges were intended to feel like Telepathy, so it’s more about fluff than rules. Yet, it’s extremely expensive for a Nova to simulate a few dots of Telepathy. If you merge them, as you did, it gets a better cost/benefit. If you turn the other mega edges into Powers, it can be turned into techniques, becoming even better.
                I noticed this also applies to the Cyberkinetic powers in a playtest I tried with my own players. The original suite-power was gone so my player had to blow nearly every point he had into buying a huge mass of disparate edges to simulate the same thing. Technically all the powers/skills are still there (more or less), but getting even most of them costs you everything.

Comment

Another option is to add new Mega-Edges or change the current ones.

On mind talking add a new dot that allows for speaking to baselines.

On emotion sensimg add a new dot that males it more usable. Same with thought sensing. Same with mind influence. Same with future prediction.

Honestly I'm a big fan of putting most quantum abilities into the Mega-Edge category.

Im slso a big fan of removing the uneeded and unecessary niche protection on mental powers.

Comment

While I'm fine with the niché protection in the official rules, I'm all for this project. That said, if I were running it, I'd do it in two parts: mental powers and abilities for Novas (using a mix of Quantum Powers and Mega-Edges), and Nova-style Psiads, which would show how to do Psiads using the rules found in TC: Aberrant rather than the ones found in TC: Æon.

Comment

I always figured that the psionic Nova powers were, basically, Nova's version of Quantikinetics. That is to say, it's using brute force Quantum powers to basically mold and shape the noetic field into the desired effect. Which is why Psychic Nova powers exist in my setting.

My Homebrew
                      Star Wars d10
                      The Fallen for Demon: the Descent
                      Requiem for a Masquerade: VtR 2e Cainite Conversion (Vampira Roma)

Comment

Originally posted by Dreaminggod View Post
                        I always figured that the psionic Nova powers were, basically, Nova's version of Quantikinetics. That is to say, it's using brute force Quantum powers to basically mold and shape the noetic field into the desired effect. Which is why Psychic Nova powers exist in my setting.

One of the issues I've had with that is how to make it look "Weird" for Nova powers. QK is hard and Weird for Psion powers, but also apparently something that comes naturally to humans. SO thematically something like inverted QK makes sense.. but how to make it seem like strange powers that apparently break even the weak rules of Novadom is hard?

Comment

Originally posted by Lian View Post

One of the issues I've had with that is how to make it look "Weird" for Nova powers. QK is hard and Weird for Psion powers, but also apparently something that comes naturally to humans. SO thematically something like inverted QK makes sense.. but how to make it seem like strange powers that apparently break even the weak rules of Novadom is hard?

I'd say the same way that Psions make it weird, and hard. Require a Quantum minimum, with maybe some low level Psychic stuff as either a mega-edge, or as a lower dot power?

My Homebrew
                          Star Wars d10

Comment

Originally posted by Dreaminggod View Post

I'd say the same way that Psions make it weird, and hard. Require a Quantum minimum, with maybe some low level Psychic stuff as either a mega-edge, or as a lower dot power?

QK is the forbidden secret psychic Technique of humanity. Its Rare even among humans and comes naturally to Psiads.

There's no "Noviad" equivalent or perhaps there's no Novion equivalent, either way how to make it feel segrated off as something special is what I am thinking about.

Comment

I am aware on how QK works. There was (is?) a Psi Order dedicated to it, but you need to be Psi 3. And it comes naturally to Psiads, and I would suggest that Nova's are the equivalent of Psiads, while Superiors are the equivalent (roughly) of Psions.

My Homebrew
                              Star Wars d10

Comment

Working...
                              X