No announcement yet.

[Homebrew] Psychic Quantum Powers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My thought is that just because the fluff description makes things 'weird' doesn't mean the rule mechanics for the abilities need to be weird. There is nothing wrong with making the complex descritpion into a simple mechanical write up. "Upon use you know the emotions of the target, with accuracy based on successes." or "Upon use you know what the target is thinking, with depth based on successes." or "Upon use you can impose upon a target a number of [thoughts][emotions] based on successes."

Whether it is a nova imposing his will based on Quantum forces on the target or he is using pheremones to effect the mind or emotions doesn't change the mechanics of how telepathic and empathetic and such powers are working.

Comment

I would like fluff that matches for making Quantum Psionics, Rare, Scary, and "cheating' even if the mechanics are reasonably the same as others.

Comment

The entire point of the way the “Pshychic” Nova powers work in Aberrant (thur Medges, basically) is to make it hard to be learned. I mean, if you pick the MEdges and combine them into a power it would be far cheeper to learn, so a lot less rare.

If you want to make the psychic powers rare, exotic and scary, use the system we have now and add fluff to it. For example, if you put that the Nova can feel the flow of eletricity in the brain of the target and so read the mind, the effect is not different from how the mind reading MEdge works (can’t remember the name). You can say the target may have a nose bleeding after her mind was read because the energy caused some extra heat inside the brain, or the Nova fail in the mind reading because it’s needed to figure how that specific brain manages the information.

Comment

...I am asking people for fluff suggestions as I am not quite up to it?

Comment

Originally posted by Lian View Post
            ...I am asking people for fluff suggestions as I am not quite up to it?
            Hmm, well let's see.

Novas can detect and manipulate electrical signals in the brain.

Novas can detect, create, and manipulate pheromone signals.

Based on physical clues novas can predict with exacting accuracy what a person is feeling, thinking, or going to do immediately.

There are probably others but these three come to me immediately.

--

I should add I am a total fan of Mega-Edges being used to simulate telepathic, empathetic, and such powers. In fact what I will probably do in time is discuss, find, or create higher dot abilities for many of the already present Mega-Edges.

Comment

I was looking back over the 2e powers and it occured to me that many of the Digital reading and control mega edges seem like they could be adapted to reading and hacking brains directly...its very brute force. It may have some downsides from having to work with the mechanics on that level though.

OF course that doesn't really cover the Metaquantum slipping into noetics... but we don't have metaquantum powers to build off of either.

Comment

Originally posted by LordHeru View Post
                I should add I am a total fan of Mega-Edges being used to simulate telepathic, empathetic, and such powers. In fact what I will probably do in time is discuss, find, or create higher dot abilities for many of the already present Mega-Edges.
                Yes you should! Please!

Comment

Originally posted by Mateus Luz View Post

Yes you should! Please!
                  Honestly, I somewhat put Aberrant on the back burner as far as thinking about it goes, mostly because the current version while great clearly needs some polishing.

But once more polished versions come out I plan on going over some of the mechanics and adding notes to where I think more is needed. Because I don't believe in looking at the powers in the book as the be and end all for Novas (or Superiors or Talents). So to me if I see a Mega-Edge with 2 dots but a 3rd dot ability is clearly apparent, I will create said dot. Like I said, same with Superiors.

Because my mind is currently on sci-fi the whole idea of Psiad/Psion works well, so I am focusing on reading over said powers.

Comment

I am going to repeat again, I think there's some neat crossover between "I can hack computers by looking at them" and "I can hack people's brains by looking at them" or is this just kind of a useless direction?

Comment

Originally posted by Lian View Post
                      I am going to repeat again, I think there's some neat crossover between "I can hack computers by looking at them" and "I can hack people's brains by looking at them" or is this just kind of a useless direction?
                      Nod. Nod. I agree with you 110%. In fact I saw some of these crossover points and thought that they were neat and could be expanded further. Further, I don't see it as much a stretch to go 'we can sense x' to 'we can control x' to 'we can create x' in a Mega-Edge dot increase fashion.

So yeah, I agree with you. My big thing is figuring out the dynamics of that crossover for me is something I plan on doing later when the book becomes a bit more polished. So right now all I can give is directions on where my thoughts on going rather than direct powers.

Comment

More than that, one of the powers of EM is basically hack brains... so its on the rules for psi basically.

Comment

Originally posted by LordHeru View Post

Nod. Nod. I agree with you 110%. In fact I saw some of these crossover points and thought that they were neat and could be expanded further. Further, I don't see it as much a stretch to go 'we can sense x' to 'we can control x' to 'we can create x' in a Mega-Edge dot increase fashion.

So yeah, I agree with you. My big thing is figuring out the dynamics of that crossover for me is something I plan on doing later when the book becomes a bit more polished. So right now all I can give is directions on where my thoughts on going rather than direct powers.

I Mean there currently is a digital scan and Digital Manipulation Mega Edge set. It seems like a decent foundation both ICLY and Mechanically for a "brain hacking".

More than that, one of the powers of EM is basically hack brains... so its on the rules for psi basically.
                          EM do you mean Elemental mastery or something else because I keep looking and can't seem to find this.

Comment

Electro manipulation, a mode of Electrokinesis. Sorry...

Comment

Electro manipulation, a mode of Electrokinesis. Sorry...

OH! well then that makes sense too!

Comment

Working...
                              X