X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MrApophenia
    started a topic [Homebrew] Psychic Quantum Powers

[Homebrew] Psychic Quantum Powers

This is an outgrowth from the Aberrant thread over at RPG.net - I started a bit of a kerfluffle with my comment that I missed psychic powers from the nova power rules. But a lot of folks pointed out that they were relatively easy to add back, so I figured I'd take a swing at it and get feedback from folks. The goal is to basically add psychic powers along the lines of those that existed in the first edition, since I am not planning on using Psiads a separate character type in my own game - no shade meant on those who want to, I just prefer to roll it all under novas.

Was hoping folks could take a look and let me know if anything seems broken or unbalanced about the powers written up here. Starting with an attempt at converting Telepathy from 1E to 2E, will probably also do Domination, Mental Blast, and Mirage at some point, but I am curious to get a reaction to this one first before trying others.

Telepathy

Quantum Minimum: 3
    Action: Ordinary
    Cost: 2 Quantum Points
    Dice Pool: Quantum + Power
    Range: Close
    Duration: Concentration

This power grants a nova several related abilities which typically manifest as "psychic powers." A telepathic nova is able to use his quantum consciousness to read the minds of others and perform similar tasks.

To read minds, the nova observes the target and makes a roll of Quantum + Power with a difficulty equal to the target's Composure. [Treat this part as identical to the 'Revealing Read' Mega-Edge; text not reproduced here in case that would break any rules.] A character whose mind is being read is automatically aware of that fact and of who is doing the reading.

To communicate between minds, the nova observes the target and spends quantum points to activate the power. No roll is necessary; the target 'hears' the nova's voice in his mind, and may communicate back to the nova if desired for as long as the nova concentrates to maintain the connection. Mental conversation takes place at the same rate as normal conversation, but Telepathy overcomes the language barrier - two characters who cannot speak to each other verbally because they don't know the same languages can communicate without difficulty using Telepathy.

Telepathy can also be used to scan for another person's mind or "mental signature." The telepath may roll against a difficulty of the target's Composure to find a specific mind within the power's Range, provided he scores at least one success on his roll. That one success tells him the person's general location and direction, but nothing more. The more successes, the more precisely the location can be determined. A telepath must have a specific mind to search for. If he can only describe the mind "generically" ("I'm looking for the mind of the nearest UN official") the difficulty of the roll increases by 1 or more (Storyguide's discretion). Once he finds the target mind, the telepath may attempt mental communication / reading normally.

(Note that this ability is limited by the power's maximum Range; a nova who wishes to use his power to scan over long distances will need to increase Range with Power Tags.)

Lastly, Telepathy can be used to alter existing memories or false memories. A psychic link must first be established as described above; then the nova spends additional Quantum Points and rolls against a difficulty of the target's Composure. The number of successes needed to implant a memory depends how important the memory is:

1 Success - Trivial memories: What you did yesterday, your favorite food
    2 Successes - Minor memories: Your birthday or anniversary, crucial job facts
    3 Successes - Important memories: Vital personal facts, blackmail information, insider information
    4 Successes - Very important memories: Security codes, national security data

The power also allows the following Special Power Tags:

Surreptitious - The target will not be aware his mind is being read if the nova does not wish him to be.
    Telepathic Channeling - The telepath may use other mental powers or Social Mega-Edges through an established telepathic link, regardless of distance to target.

• Lian
    replied
    Originally posted by Mateus Luz View Post
    Electro manipulation, a mode of Electrokinesis. Sorry...

OH! well then that makes sense too!

Leave a comment:

• Mateus Luz
    replied
    Electro manipulation, a mode of Electrokinesis. Sorry...

Leave a comment:

• Lian
    replied
    Originally posted by LordHeru View Post

Nod. Nod. I agree with you 110%. In fact I saw some of these crossover points and thought that they were neat and could be expanded further. Further, I don't see it as much a stretch to go 'we can sense x' to 'we can control x' to 'we can create x' in a Mega-Edge dot increase fashion.

So yeah, I agree with you. My big thing is figuring out the dynamics of that crossover for me is something I plan on doing later when the book becomes a bit more polished. So right now all I can give is directions on where my thoughts on going rather than direct powers.

I Mean there currently is a digital scan and Digital Manipulation Mega Edge set. It seems like a decent foundation both ICLY and Mechanically for a "brain hacking".

More than that, one of the powers of EM is basically hack brains... so its on the rules for psi basically.
    EM do you mean Elemental mastery or something else because I keep looking and can't seem to find this.

Leave a comment:

• Mateus Luz
    replied
    More than that, one of the powers of EM is basically hack brains... so its on the rules for psi basically.

Leave a comment:

• LordHeru
    replied
    Originally posted by Lian View Post
    I am going to repeat again, I think there's some neat crossover between "I can hack computers by looking at them" and "I can hack people's brains by looking at them" or is this just kind of a useless direction?
    Nod. Nod. I agree with you 110%. In fact I saw some of these crossover points and thought that they were neat and could be expanded further. Further, I don't see it as much a stretch to go 'we can sense x' to 'we can control x' to 'we can create x' in a Mega-Edge dot increase fashion.

So yeah, I agree with you. My big thing is figuring out the dynamics of that crossover for me is something I plan on doing later when the book becomes a bit more polished. So right now all I can give is directions on where my thoughts on going rather than direct powers.

Leave a comment:

• Lian
    replied
    I am going to repeat again, I think there's some neat crossover between "I can hack computers by looking at them" and "I can hack people's brains by looking at them" or is this just kind of a useless direction?

Leave a comment:

• LordHeru
    replied

Yes you should! Please!
    Honestly, I somewhat put Aberrant on the back burner as far as thinking about it goes, mostly because the current version while great clearly needs some polishing.

But once more polished versions come out I plan on going over some of the mechanics and adding notes to where I think more is needed. Because I don't believe in looking at the powers in the book as the be and end all for Novas (or Superiors or Talents). So to me if I see a Mega-Edge with 2 dots but a 3rd dot ability is clearly apparent, I will create said dot. Like I said, same with Superiors.

Because my mind is currently on sci-fi the whole idea of Psiad/Psion works well, so I am focusing on reading over said powers.

Leave a comment:

• Mateus Luz
    replied
    Originally posted by LordHeru View Post
    I should add I am a total fan of Mega-Edges being used to simulate telepathic, empathetic, and such powers. In fact what I will probably do in time is discuss, find, or create higher dot abilities for many of the already present Mega-Edges.
    Yes you should! Please!

Leave a comment:

• Lian
    replied
    I was looking back over the 2e powers and it occured to me that many of the Digital reading and control mega edges seem like they could be adapted to reading and hacking brains directly...its very brute force. It may have some downsides from having to work with the mechanics on that level though.

OF course that doesn't really cover the Metaquantum slipping into noetics... but we don't have metaquantum powers to build off of either.

Leave a comment:

• LordHeru
    replied
    Originally posted by Lian View Post
    ...I am asking people for fluff suggestions as I am not quite up to it?
    Hmm, well let's see.

Novas can detect and manipulate electrical signals in the brain.

Novas can detect, create, and manipulate pheromone signals.

Based on physical clues novas can predict with exacting accuracy what a person is feeling, thinking, or going to do immediately.

There are probably others but these three come to me immediately.

--

I should add I am a total fan of Mega-Edges being used to simulate telepathic, empathetic, and such powers. In fact what I will probably do in time is discuss, find, or create higher dot abilities for many of the already present Mega-Edges.

Leave a comment:

• Lian
    replied
    ...I am asking people for fluff suggestions as I am not quite up to it?

Leave a comment:

• Mateus Luz
    replied
    The entire point of the way the “Pshychic” Nova powers work in Aberrant (thur Medges, basically) is to make it hard to be learned. I mean, if you pick the MEdges and combine them into a power it would be far cheeper to learn, so a lot less rare.

If you want to make the psychic powers rare, exotic and scary, use the system we have now and add fluff to it. For example, if you put that the Nova can feel the flow of eletricity in the brain of the target and so read the mind, the effect is not different from how the mind reading MEdge works (can’t remember the name). You can say the target may have a nose bleeding after her mind was read because the energy caused some extra heat inside the brain, or the Nova fail in the mind reading because it’s needed to figure how that specific brain manages the information.

Leave a comment:

• Lian
    replied
    I would like fluff that matches for making Quantum Psionics, Rare, Scary, and "cheating' even if the mechanics are reasonably the same as others.

Leave a comment:

• LordHeru
    replied
    My thought is that just because the fluff description makes things 'weird' doesn't mean the rule mechanics for the abilities need to be weird. There is nothing wrong with making the complex descritpion into a simple mechanical write up. "Upon use you know the emotions of the target, with accuracy based on successes." or "Upon use you know what the target is thinking, with depth based on successes." or "Upon use you can impose upon a target a number of [thoughts][emotions] based on successes."

Whether it is a nova imposing his will based on Quantum forces on the target or he is using pheremones to effect the mind or emotions doesn't change the mechanics of how telepathic and empathetic and such powers are working.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X