Tier and Scale - Novas vs Mundanes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh, I found this in the Trinity Core - pg 109:
    "Example: Michael, the Pyrokinetic, picks a fight with The Iron Rhino, a powerful superhuman monster with rippling muscles and skin as strong as iron. Michael and the Rhino have similar stats, but The Iron Rhino gains an Enhancement bonus of two successes to all actions, due to his superior Scale rating.
    However, if Michael gets into a fight with Lawrence, a regular joe, then Michael will gain two additional successes to all actions since he is a superior type of combatant."

So yes, a Nova gains a +4 enhancement on any attack to the psion in combat. And, just as well, it's needed a +4 successes to damage. Novas are tough!

Comment

Originally posted by pcontop View Post
      Oh, I found this in the Trinity Core - pg 109:
      "Example: Michael, the Pyrokinetic, picks a fight with The Iron Rhino, a powerful superhuman monster with rippling muscles and skin as strong as iron. Michael and the Rhino have similar stats, but The Iron Rhino gains an Enhancement bonus of two successes to all actions, due to his superior Scale rating.
      However, if Michael gets into a fight with Lawrence, a regular joe, then Michael will gain two additional successes to all actions since he is a superior type of combatant."

So yes, a Nova gains a +4 enhancement on any attack to the psion in combat. And, just as well, it's needed a +4 successes to damage. Novas are tough!
      This text is on the old files, now it’s on page 111 and says
      Example: Michael, the Pyrokinetic, picks a fight with The Iron Rhino, a powerful superhu- man monster with rippling muscles and skin as strong as iron. Michael and the Rhino have similar stats, but The Iron Rhino gains an 2 Enhancement bonus to his attacks, due to his superior Scale rating in power.
      The Iron Rhino probably have Mega Might, otherwise it would not work.

Update your file on DriveThruRPG, it was updated and many of the misleading texts were changed.
      Last edited by Mateus Luz; 09-16-2019, 06:06 PM.

Comment

Also, worth noting that novas don't have generic Scale. They have powers that give them Scale in certain things. Whereas Storypath in general, in other games, can instead just say "this monster is Scale 4" and not worry about specifying powers that grant Scale 4. But in Aberrant, a nova has to have an actual power to get that bonus, and doesn't get the bonus just for being a nova going up against someone who isn't.

However, novas do get a different inherent bonus! They're Tier 3, so they succeed on dice rolls more often than normal people.

Comment

That's a nice theory. But can you find any mentions on that?

Comment

Page 75 Core

SCALE AND TIER
            In general, characters of higher Tiers have the ability to also gain higher Scale. This power rep- resents their supernatural abilities, and sometimes their raw strength against other characters. Where a normal person probably couldn’t outrun a car, a Nova with a speed boost could. While these people are functionally human and would normally oper- ate on the same Scale as other humans, their special abilities give them a huge advantage. This and other books will inform you when Scale comes into play
            That’s the new text about Scale and Tiers. They removed all the misleading texts as I said before.

Comment

Sure, see Trinity: Aberrant if you backed it. Novas do not have any scale unless they have a mega-attribute, mega-edge, or power which gives it to them. They have no inherent scale based on tier.

I'd love for you to quote anything from a current version of the rules which says any character gets inherent scale from tier. If you're going to ask people to prove their theories, you should prove yours.

Comment

Originally posted by Mateus Luz View Post

Page 75 Core

That’s the new text about Scale and Tiers. They removed all the misleading texts as I said before.

And what about Combat and Scale, on 109?

Comment

And what about Combat and Scale, on 109?
                  Page 111 now, and it’s as I described a few posts before:

Example: Michael, the Pyrokinetic, picks a fight with The Iron Rhino, a powerful superhu- man monster with rippling muscles and skin as strong as iron. Michael and the Rhino have similar stats, but The Iron Rhino gains an 2 Enhancement bonus to his attacks, due to his superior Scale rating in power.

Iron Rhino probably have Mega Might that add scale to the Might rolls during combat and only to cause injury stunts (Aberrant on Mega Might description).

Comment

Also, read this: http://theonyxpath.com/storypaths-scale/. It clearly answers "Is Tier Scale?" with "Short answer, no. There has been some question about how Tier [a]ffects Scale, and the longer answer is: It doesn't, really."

Comment

Originally posted by Florin View Post
                      Also, read this: http://theonyxpath.com/storypaths-scale/. It clearly answers "Is Tier Scale?" with "Short answer, no. There has been some question about how Tier [a]ffects Scale, and the longer answer is: It doesn't, really."

Well, this settles for me, then! Thanks!

I was frankly worried that, for instance, a Terat could have Scale from both Tier and Invulnerability.

Comment

Working...
                      X