Do other Races have Talents?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do other Races have Talents?

Or are Paramorphs like QK a special quality of humanity sort of being on "both paths"

Originally posted by Lian View Post
    Or are Paramorphs like QK a special quality of humanity sort of being on "both paths"
    I believe at one point it was mentioned that when we get playable alien rules, the Coalition will have Talents among their more sapient clades. The Chromatics and Qin don’t because all Chromatics and Qin have some dots of psionic Modes.

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

Originally posted by glamourweaver View Post

I believe at one point it was mentioned that when we get playable alien rules, the Coalition will have Talents among their more sapient clades. The Chromatics and Qin don’t because all Chromatics and Qin have some dots of psionic Modes.

But Coalition member can in theory have psi and Quantum variants right?

Comment

Deleted because I misremembered and don’t want to confuse anyone
        Last edited by glamourweaver; 09-26-2019, 11:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Lian View Post
          But Coalition member can in theory have psi and Quantum variants right?
          No, they are not capable of Quantum manipulation, at least not naturally. Their original species were strongly Psychic, but the ones that are still around removed their psionic capacity genetically to avoid become a psionic hivemind with no individuality.

They are studying Aberrants they captured and some of them are now capable of a very limited quantum manipulation (on a Superior stile), but that’s all.

Comment

There's definitely alien Talents, according to the text. I think there aren't any other groups that can be Psi, Quantum, or Inspiration powered like humans, though.

Comment

I had an idea that Talents are like QK something only available to races that have both but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Comment

No; Talents are a third type. Most races only get one type (usually psi or quantum, though the Doyen have artificially biased this by destroying quantum-empowered species early on; in contrast, Talent-type species are naturally uncommon). Species with two types are rare (and tend to be quantum/psi more often than quantum/Talent or psi/Talent). Species with all three types are vanishingly rare: if there's another besides humans, I don't know what it is.

Comment

John may be doing something different -- I don't recall if there's text that says otherwise -- but in my own opinion, every species that has achieved a certain level of sentience has Talents.

Remember why they're called Talents. While skill certainly has its part to play, some people will just be naturally better at, say, playing the piano than others. They're talented.

Luck is a metaphysical force in the Trinity Continuum: people subconsciously manipulate probability to get the outcome they want. That's just a side effect of being a sentient life form. It's arguably an evolutionary trait: we survived and became dominant because we were able to bend luck in our own favour.

Talents are people who are much more talented at this subconscious manipulation than most of the population. There's no reason why other sentients in the galaxy wouldn't have Talents, and every reason why they should.

Now, being both psi-active and quantum-active sort of short circuits around this capability. You can't be both a psion and a Talent. That could be part of why every alien race swings one way or the other: their genetics find an alternate route and stick with it. Humans are the first known species to develop both psi and quantum.

Ian A. A. Watson
                  Onyx Path Community Manager
                  Trinity Continuum Content Lead

Comment

Originally posted by IanWatson View Post
                    John may be doing something different -- I don't recall if there's text that says otherwise -- but in my own opinion, every species that has achieved a certain level of sentience has Talents.
                    This would have to cease being the case for the Qin and Chromatics since every member of the species is Psi-active, right?

Comment

Correct, with caveats.

I can see a case for some "throwback" members of Qin and Chromatics who aren't noetically active. For Qin that wouldn't necessarily be a big deal, in the same sense that Little Jimmy was born without an arm, so we've outfitted him with a prosthetic. Qin have doubtless come up with some biotech which compensates for being born a neutral.

Chromatic society is a bit more harsh, as they're basically barely out of their own stone age. If one of their children is born without the ability to communicate effectively due to an inability to project high-fidelity holograms, then they may or may not survive long depending on the individuals and their tribal norms.

In any case, those neutrals may be Talents instead.

Or, perhaps (particularly in the case of the Qin), their noetically active status is their version of a "neutral," and some individuals might demonstrate rudimentary capacity for both. They've been around a lot longer than humans have, so in some respects may have evolved further*.

*Yes I know that's not how evolution works, this is just for the sake of ease of discussion.

Ian A. A. Watson
                      Onyx Path Community Manager
                      Trinity Continuum Content Lead

Comment

Interesting idea of combination of inspiration.

On a different way to think, when I was thinking about it I went thru the book and it looked like there are 2 levels of Psi development for both Qin and Chromatic, even with all the Doyen manipulation (maybe because of it).

Qin have the Tier 1 (Max Psi 2 and max modes 2 only on Telepathy) and Tier 2 (Max Psi 4, and more options), and the Chromatics are Tier 2 (up to Psi 4 and limited to EK and thermokinesis) and Tier 3 (more flexibility).

The higher tier aliens can be seen as the “heroic” aliens, the ones that would become Talents, but as they are psionically active they where pushed further on the psionic powers. I mean, moving things with the mind is not natural for Qin, but a few can do, so they must be seen as supernatural people (or used to be before all the time and deep study of noetics).

Comment

Originally posted by IanWatson View Post

-Snip-

Or, perhaps (particularly in the case of the Qin), their noetically active status is their version of a "neutral," and some individuals might demonstrate rudimentary capacity for both. They've been around a lot longer than humans have, so in some respects may have evolved further*.

*Yes I know that's not how evolution works, this is just for the sake of ease of discussion.
                          Are you suggesting the potential awesome idea that their Talents might have some basic Noetic abilities while remaining Talents?

Actually, come to think on it since Talents still have Psi 1 like all non-Novas it makes sense that certain very basic noetic effects might be possible to attain.

Mechanically speaking they may have certain Gifts that are proto-noetic in effect.

I like.

Comment

As far as other races, I am curious as to how this will function mechanically. I assume that aliens will function as a character Origin, with any alien "Anomaly Powers" being handled as Edges. More powerful "alien edges" could be offset by a simple balancing drawback. As follows:

ENVOY (Origin Path)

Envoys are designed to be non-threatening with pale skin, a slim build and a slightly bulbous head with large eyes, suggesting a childlike appearance. In addition to clothing, envoys only carry any gear needed for their immediate task. Each of their hands has four fingers that are boneless tentacles. Player character Envoys have a far easier time integrating with human society, as their nature is designed to make them appealing company. They are born and bred to function within advanced societies, and are completely out of their environment while in nature.
                            Example Connections: Everybody's friend, Smooth Operator, Gossip Hen, Face
                            Skills: Culture, Empathy, Integrity, Persuasion
                            Edges: Photographic Memory (•••), Skilled Liar (••)
                            Special Edge (Bonus): Interrelational Pheromones
                            Special Drawbacks: Characters with this origin suffer a level 2 Complication to all physical rolls relating to Survival rolls outside a closed environment like an Arcology, Space Station or Spaceship.

Interrelational Pheromones: The envoy’s pheromones encourage a certain degree of oversharing and loosened lips, allowing them to passively collect information rather than actively pry it from a target. Coming within Close range of an envoy imposes a level 2 Complication on all Social rolls to keep from sharing important secrets. While the Complication is extant, an interaction that doesn’t already have a roll may require a Integrity + Composure roll to keep from blurting out important information. If not bought off, the Complication lasts while the character is exposed to the pheromone, plus one full Scene after leaving its vicinity. A filter mask reduces the Complication by one point; a sealed environment suit negates it entirely.
                            Last edited by MythAdvocate; 10-10-2019, 01:26 PM.

“Humpty had always sat on walls, it was his way.”
                            Jasper Fforde, The Big Over Easy

Comment

SASQ

Sasqs are large, muscular, and covered in brown fur, befitting the bastardization of ‘sasquatch’ into their common designation. They combine the power of a cargo lifter and the precision of a surgeon, with expert technical expertise even though they mostly repair rather than design. They possess strong three fingered hands, supplemented by half a dozen long slender tentacles attached to each of their wrists. They possess no neck, but their four eyes provide them with a wide range of vision. They’re the most social phyle among themselves, always comparing notes on equipment and procedures.
                              Example Connections: Tech Geek, Research Scientists, Machinist Friend
                              Skills: Athletics, Command, Science, Technology
                              Edges: Ambidextrous (•), Hardy (••), Lightning Calculator (•), Ms. Fix-It (•), Photographic Memory (••), Weak Spots (•)
                              Special Edge (Bonus): Mnemonic Pheromones (see below)
                              Special Drawbacks: Sasq characters suffer a level 1 Complication to all social rolls relating to appearance from people who are uncomfortable with aliens.

Mnemonic pheromones: A sasq can ‘tag’ a target with a pheromone encoded with referential information any phyle member can refer to later. (“This tool is the right size for an interceptor’s
                              canopy actuator.”) A sasq can encode several simple facts onto a single pheromone trace; the effect lasts up to a week.
                              Last edited by MythAdvocate; 10-11-2019, 11:18 AM.

“Humpty had always sat on walls, it was his way.”
                              Jasper Fforde, The Big Over Easy

Comment

Working...
                              X