Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Prehistoric Psiads

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Prehistoric Psiads

    So I was wondering if anyone else had an interest in talking about and theorizing on the setting and campaign element of Psiads (with maybe some Talents as well) manifesting within a small tribe somewhere in the prehistoric era. How such a human group would grow and develop and expand and what sort of stories to tell about them.

    As another idea, would we still go with the whole idea of biotech or maybe we could shift things so that instead something like crystaltech would be the thing.

  • #2
    It is an interesting thought to be sure. Talents through history are an intriguing concept. Many of the classic heroes, legendary geniuses and great leaders could definitely be described as inspired. Many "magic" sorts of legendary persons could also be Talents, using their extraordinary skills and the powers of Inspired Super Science to create wonders.

    Psiads in the past could account for many of the more overt magic type of persons in antiquity. As for biotech, primitive living machines could be made by psiads via Powered Super Science. But I think most would be in the form of sacred groves, totem beasts, or some other living conduit.
    Last edited by MythAdvocate; 09-27-2019, 05:43 PM.


    “Humpty had always sat on walls, it was his way.”
    Jasper Fforde, The Big Over Easy

    Comment


    • #3
      I think it would be pretty boss, as you kids say, if you did a rise of a civilization story where Psiads develop the first advancements in agriculture and architecture and start an empire on a continent that is a mix between Atlantis, Atlan, Mu, Lemuria, and good old Agharta and Shamballah. The continent will have Dinosaurs surviving and they raid the scattered masses of humanity for slaves, which they keep as a lower caste. Eventually Psiads become more and more common that mad scientists and slaveborn psiads cause unrest. And the continent sinks into the ocean and then into the Crust below it after a massive war, resulting in Hollow Earth or Agharta. Or they could have been on Antartica and with the collapse of their infrastructure they couldn't sustain the survivability of the environment. Perhaps they were like the Mythical Hyperborea in that they were above the cold North Winds, which was really a result of Psi tech infrastructure.

      They could have come about from Alien tampering or even interbreeding. Or maybe the surviving Psiads leave Earth for Mars, and they only develop the space tech as their civilization collapses under Civil War.


      It is a time for great deeds!

      Comment


      • #4

        Originally posted by MythAdvocate View Post
        ...
        As for biotech, primitive living machines could be made by psiads via Powered Super Science. But I think most would be in the form of sacred groves, totem beasts, or some other living conduit.
        I hadn't thought of using biotech to create sacred groves and totem beasts and other such things. But yeah, that makes a lot of sense. Also it leads to a fantastic vision of the cities of this civilization being centered around massive trees and overgrown with plants and visited by animals of all kinds. Which is really kind of awesome.


        Originally posted by Eldagusto View Post
        I think it would be pretty boss, as you kids say, if you did a rise of a civilization story where Psiads develop the first advancements in agriculture and architecture and start an empire on a continent that is a mix between Atlantis, Atlan, Mu, Lemuria, and good old Agharta and Shamballah. The continent will have Dinosaurs surviving and they raid the scattered masses of humanity for slaves, which they keep as a lower caste. Eventually Psiads become more and more common that mad scientists and slaveborn psiads cause unrest. And the continent sinks into the ocean and then into the Crust below it after a massive war, resulting in Hollow Earth or Agharta. Or they could have been on Antartica and with the collapse of their infrastructure they couldn't sustain the survivability of the environment. Perhaps they were like the Mythical Hyperborea in that they were above the cold North Winds, which was really a result of Psi tech infrastructure.

        They could have come about from Alien tampering or even interbreeding. Or maybe the surviving Psiads leave Earth for Mars, and they only develop the space tech as their civilization collapses under Civil War.
        The idea of a prehistoric human civilization appearing on a landmass during the time of the dinosaurs and creating a psychic powered civilization is brilliant. Plus the whole using such animal and plant life as a basis for biotech would lead to some really nifty capabilities. Heck, one could add certain dinosaur subtypes with their own primitive noetic capabilities

        I like the idea that in the end something happens and the society decides to change, which leads them to leaving. Some, of course, stay, and it is from those that we have some myths and legends of the ancient civilization. And also maybe advanced human noetic capability comes from them as well.

        The idea of playing at the dawn of said civilization would be very interesting. To see how the people go from simple lives to what in time would be the nucleus of a vast civilization.

        An interesting idea could be that while this is Earth it is not THE Earth as we know it and so maybe on their particular Earth noetic civilization never dies out, never collapses. Of course that is far in the future of a campaign setting that I was thinking starts at the dawn of civilization rather than at its glorious height.

        Comment


        • #5
          As an addendum to the above.

          1. So the basic idea written out in Dark Eras could totally be used as a sort of look into the culture the people we are talking about. I would change the time period (and thus culture name) and location and make the Wise psi users rather than mages, but still it has a lot of good ideas.

          2. The player character psiads could be the first generation of them, manifesting in the world not long after the appearance of a shimmering light in the sky and a distant quake as something hit the ground. It made them and it changed some of the plants and animals in the region.

          Related to 2, you could totally have the crash lead to the rise of civilization. The crashed meteorite (or alien or dimensional artifact) brought with it a flash of noetic energy which supercharged the primitive humans into full blown human humans (or maybe even better humans) with some knowledge of the very basics of civilization. From this very humble beginings a number of tribes come together and create a society, one boosted by the presence of those with noetic abilities.

          The players, maybe, could be people who see the crash and head to it. They find a glowing seed pod, touch it, and become enhanced. To make it interesting they could be from different tribes but because of a shared experience they decide to get the groups to come together as one.

          Comment


          • #6
            I like the entire idea.

            The crystals are better than biotech for the psychic feeling.

            I would make they feel more magical than psychic, they don’t know they are Psiads, they just know they do things others don’t. In my campaign I would give them powers from some meteorites or old relics from a pre human civilisation, so it would be more about going after new power sources on the old ruins and less on surviving the nature.

            To keep them more mystical I would limit their powers or give some extra Psi by the use of the source, like collars made of the meteorites or a totem that allow them to recharge their Psi points faster. It would be much like a super science, but not made by them, they don’t have the knowledge yet.

            Many good ideas...

            Comment


            • #7
              Glad you like.

              On Crystaltech, yeah, its a very psi-oriented idea. But the thing is after comments from above the idea of using biotech to create empowered plants and animals is also brilliant to me.

              The image of every settlement being centered around a giant biotech tree which has powers that provide for civilized effects is just brilliant to me.

              Honestly, I do prefer them knowing the truth of who they are, of what they can do. BUT I do also like the idea that its something other (a meteorite or an old relic) that did the initial activation, the initial powering.

              Another potential set up is that the meteorite was the crash of a Doyen spaceship, a Doyen who survived and will become some sort of reoccurring villain in multiple bodies. As the moment of impact a wave of noetic energy erupted from the crash and sort of supercharged the region - with more effects the closer and smaller effects farther away. Up close the plants and animals are mutated, monstrous, one may even call them dinosaurs, while farther away their were some noetic touches but in general they were normal. Within the area of effect (though maybe on the outskirts) there were a number of human tribes, humans who in time would awaken to psychic powers. With maybe event led to the player characters becoming Psiads while all others effected become Psions.

              But yeah, the whole idea that something in the night sky led to the appearance of Psiads within a number of tribes on a certain area is an interesting one to me.

              --

              A nifty potential idea is that they only think its the past, but actually its the future. A future world where something in the past caused the total collapse of everything we built and also led to the reappearance of monsters of history (in otherwords dinosaurs). In some ways a few sessions into the game and the palyers uncover something like the Statue of Liberty or equivalent. And yes, it might be a Planet of the Apes reveal but if the players are scifi fans they would probably get a kick out of it. Bonus points could be that the collapse of the old world was a quantum based event.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by LordHeru View Post
                Glad you like.

                A nifty potential idea is that they only think its the past, but actually its the future. A future world where something in the past caused the total collapse of everything we built and also led to the reappearance of monsters of history (in otherwords dinosaurs). In some ways a few sessions into the game and the palyers uncover something like the Statue of Liberty or equivalent. And yes, it might be a Planet of the Apes reveal but if the players are scifi fans they would probably get a kick out of it. Bonus points could be that the collapse of the old world was a quantum based event.
                Just like the Hammersmith experiment created all sorts of wierd Pulp Lost worlds. Imagine something like that focused on various post apocalypses? Ape land, Robot Land, Dinosaurs...

                Comment


                • #9
                  The potentials that could occur could be quite fun indeed.

                  This has given me the thought of how one would wrap the psychic mechanics of Aptitudes, Modes, and the dot effects in more medieval slash fantasy wrappings. Such descriptioms would, could, be a book itself. Hehe

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    They do have plans for Aegis, which from what I recall features a pseudo(?) Ancient Greek setting with heros (Talents), magicians (psiads), and gods (superhumans).


                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Dataweaver View Post
                      They do have plans for Aegis, which from what I recall features a pseudo(?) Ancient Greek setting with heros (Talents), magicians (psiads), and gods (superhumans).
                      Oh yeah totally. When they do that it will be fun to see what descriptions are given to the various powers to bring them thematically in line with what we already have.
                      Last edited by LordHeru; 10-13-2019, 07:50 PM.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Hmm. Antediluvian, the world before The Flood (ie the cataclysm that wiped this setting out and erased it from history).


                        What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
                        Voltaire, "Tolerance" (1764)

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X