No announcement yet.

Interstellar Colonization

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm all for a Social Architect Nova being behind the Unity for the System. I do feel they wouldn't have a unified set of laws for the whole system, the rapid growth and the fact that new separate planets are growing simultaneously seems like they would probably have a System wide set of core law, and each planet would have their own priorities. I would treat them like a Union/Federation/League/Assembly of aligned planets. But One thing to consider it seems to me that this probably is humanities first attempt at Colonizing right, so things would be new unexplored territory as far as laws and precedents are concerned. So a Nova with excellent Social Manipulation powers would a good source of Cohesion before the Colony started.

So perhaps they are actually lost in a separate universe rather than just a farside galaxy. Maybe they where humans attempting to escape an Alien conquest or even genocide by a Mad Nova. So Humanity had lots of Talents but Psiads were very rare, and Novas were only the result of unique incidents where specific people Doctor Manhattan themselves. So they activate an alien ruins found I don't know on Mars, or the Moon or Antartic or Marianna's trench and they know it opens a Wormhole stable enough for a one way trip before being overtaxed and exploding. Or maybe They discover a Living Universe within a Nova ascending to Godlike status. Either way they are in another universe whether they know it or not.

Since this is a separate timeline I would just have Psiads be an emerging phenomenon for Humanity, maybe the incident that caused them to get lost increased the population of say a dozen Psiads aboard the first gen to a couple hundred in the immediate generation. Either that or the Star or specific Planets (maybe the Gas Giant) causes Noetic advancement. I like the idea that they develop the equivalent to Prometheus Chambers ( I don't know call them Soma Beds or Ganesh Gates if Noetics was tied to the journey what with beginning Journey's being the Gods Purview, Or you could theme each Chamber on Chakras and so they only have discovered 7 known Chakra Keys) in an attempt to harness humanity's potential after they discover Humans can be pushed to greater Noetic predilection. Maybe the handful of chambers don't activate you towards a specific Powerset but individuals are inclined towards specific aptitudes when awakened. Or you could have it they had to find a Chamber and each planet that has one has a different one. But if you do that that naturally bends each planet towards a specific technological path. Maybe different planets have different Noetic phenomena so however they come about finding the Chambers (whether discovered alien artifacts, or they harness special crystals or gateways and build a device around it) it still makes each Planet a natural node for specific types of Psi.

So you have the decision do you want Psi types to be something that humanity can steer with different Chambers, or something that mysterious and individualistic. If they control which types then it gives the setting a natural progression towards different technologies, and you can ban certain ones like Quantum or Teleportation, or they could just be hidden and only a handful of individuals have access to it. Or if you make it uncontrolled then it spreads the phenomena around a bit more and you can later introduce trends of discovering powers like Teleportation, or manipulation of life.

So to start Humanity only had advanced tech and Talent tech, Psiads were too rare, and the Nova behind it all wasn't a developing Quantum tech for the masses to solve travel with, the Nova instead concentrates on Social Engineering. Upon landing with an increase in Noetic phenomena they start to develop Psi tech, and maybe even discover some Psitech in Ruins to help jumpstart them. At this Point Psi competes with Inspired tech for how they go about advancing human technology.

It is a time for great deeds!

Comment

Originally posted by Mateus Luz View Post
      I agree with Tiwaz to a certain level.

Psions are designed for the game, a game of multiple characters working together to solve problems. For that game Psions are far superior to Psiads as characters, as team members.

But I disagree on the part that a Psiad is a Swiss army knife. First because on a regular game in trinity, there are so much tech available that you end up with almost any character being an Swiss Army Knife, that’s part of the game in a SciFi setting, if there is no tech to solve problems it’s not that much SciFi. Second point is while a Psiad CAN have many powers, their evolution is very limited in all, it requires much more experience to level, the limits are lower and, as I said, a Psiad is unable to Long Jump unless it’s his absolute focus and unless it’s being 200 XP after character creation.

It means, a psiad will not reach the power of a Psion on his aptitude unless the Psion is much less experienced, the variety of powers will not be that much to be able to pick several ways to solve the problems. As result, a team of Psions will have a much larger variety and potency in powers than a team of Psiads, and you must think about the team when creating the story and not the individuals (never split the party, otherwise the DM will get crazy).

I guess for me for all that Psions are mechanically cool and fun the setting bias of them being alien engineered doesn't sit well with me and so my mind turns towards the whole "well Psiads aren't engineered but are natural and thus lets play with them".

For me, again, there is the fact that I like limitless potential and so to be restricted to a single Aptitude doesn't sit well with me. I want the potential that my character could get Psi 10 and all Modes at 10. Now I am not saying that this is a realstic goal but I like the potential of such things. Its fun to imagine. And technically, give it generations of progress, Psiads could achieve that. Its also why when I read the line about Psions potentially breaking through the barriers put on them by the Doyen I go "YES!!!!!"

Anyway, as this idea is for a campaign using the Trinity Continuum rules rather then the setting itself I have lots of potential for making things my own.

For example, the idea that there is no Nova Age but maybe the Inspired came about again (backed by some hidden Novas and Psiads) who bring humanity to the point where we are first solar and then starting to become interstellar. As part of that a hidden Nova uses his resources to design and then contruct and then recruit for the largest by then interstellar colonization expeditions. Some 2ish million people on say eight or nine massive Colony JumpShips. While traveling they hit some sort of (quantum/noetic/flux) barrier that supercharges the engines leading to rapid movement and then also enhances the psycho-genetic-spiritual tapestry of the occupants of the JumpShips, leading to a much easier time for Psi Users to manifest. While some manifest as Psiads, many will manifest as Psions due to the energies reaching a limit on how much it can change.

Soooo that said. Your point of thinking on what the campaign would focus on is important. As the idea I have is for the player group to work together as a roaming band of troubleshooters, rangers, heralds, and agents for the Directorate government it would make sense to think of what they could bring to bare if they are Psiads or Psions. Which is what I would want them to be. Though I could also see maybe a Talent or Superior if the player pushed for it. No novas though, as I want them RARE.

But yeah, your thoughts are very helpful, interesting, and enjoyable to read.

Comment

One of the things I would experiment with are the effects we see when populations are separated on islands, like the finches with the different beaks. So maybe for instance they find evidence that the Gas Giant seems to have had a point in the past where the flora and fauna were moved around, probably an old civilization brought them with them. It could have been so long ago, Hundreds of Millions of years that they evolved very differently but biologists can trace them to the same ancestors. So maybe one Planet had a lot of the local fauna usurped by an invasive species of birds and after they extincted much of the animal life they evolved divergently to fill in different niches so you have birdlike horses, and panthers and some fish and insects but maybe other animal life larger then mice didn't make it. And another planet only has insects and plants until humanity lands and brings other lifeforms.

With that said what animal and plant life was humanity able to introduce? Were they limited to Terraforming Algae and Bacteria, or were they able to bring cattle and cats and dogs, or were they able to salvage a gene Ark from Earth where they can 3D print Zoo's worth of animals in labs.

Comment

Originally posted by Mateus Luz View Post
          I agree with Tiwaz to a certain level.

Psions are designed for the game, a game of multiple characters working together to solve problems. For that game Psions are far superior to Psiads as characters, as team members.

But I disagree on the part that a Psiad is a Swiss army knife. First because on a regular game in trinity, there are so much tech available that you end up with almost any character being an Swiss Army Knife, that’s part of the game in a SciFi setting, if there is no tech to solve problems it’s not that much SciFi. Second point is while a Psiad CAN have many powers, their evolution is very limited in all, it requires much more experience to level, the limits are lower and, as I said, a Psiad is unable to Long Jump unless it’s his absolute focus and unless it’s being 200 XP after character creation.

It means, a psiad will not reach the power of a Psion on his aptitude unless the Psion is much less experienced, the variety of powers will not be that much to be able to pick several ways to solve the problems. As result, a team of Psions will have a much larger variety and potency in powers than a team of Psiads, and you must think about the team when creating the story and not the individuals (never split the party, otherwise the DM will get crazy).
          This never stopped games like Mage though. You can still have Psiads and have members specialize, its just Psions have the hard caps on narrowing power diversity. And I don't see much of an issue with level 5+ aptitudes being rare because Psiads are most common, it makes you appreciate the power more. And characters can be defined by more than their Psi potential, you can have a Psion or Psiad who has introductory level Psi powers but advanced along cultivating Edges or knowledge and skill, or physicality.

Comment

Oh man, so much fantastic stuff to get through Eldagusto. So much fantastic stuff.

Originally posted by Eldagusto View Post
            I'm all for a Social Architect Nova being behind the Unity for the System. I do feel they wouldn't have a unified set of laws for the whole system, the rapid growth and the fact that new separate planets are growing simultaneously seems like they would probably have a System wide set of core law, and each planet would have their own priorities. I would treat them like a Union/Federation/League/Assembly of aligned planets. But One thing to consider it seems to me that this probably is humanities first attempt at Colonizing right, so things would be new unexplored territory as far as laws and precedents are concerned. So a Nova with excellent Social Manipulation powers would a good source of Cohesion before the Colony started.
            I like this idea. Both on the Nova having a Social Architect focus (it goes well with pre-Expedition he built and led a megacorp) and the nature of Grand System's government. I figure local, regional, planetary, star district, and then high government makes sense. That way locals have a say over local matters but that the greater government can, and do, have the ability to make sure a common set of laws apply. (A tiny part of me wants the Director to become a Monarch, but I am trying to curtail that part since its not about him, lol).

But yeah, even if humanity has explored the solar system and begun sending out small colonies to other stars this will be the largest and most organized of all projects. Especially when one considers that Earth itself was still balkanized upon the Expedition leaving.

I do think that the Nova Director focuses mostly on business and government, though I also think he is knowledgeable when it comes to technology and science and such. That said, its an understanding without the need to tinker, like Tony Stark would do, and so he has not focused his attention on QuantumTech.

So perhaps they are actually lost in a separate universe rather than just a farside galaxy. Maybe they where humans attempting to escape an Alien conquest or even genocide by a Mad Nova. So Humanity had lots of Talents but Psiads were very rare, and Novas were only the result of unique incidents where specific people Doctor Manhattan themselves. So they activate an alien ruins found I don't know on Mars, or the Moon or Antartic or Marianna's trench and they know it opens a Wormhole stable enough for a one way trip before being overtaxed and exploding. Or maybe They discover a Living Universe within a Nova ascending to Godlike status. Either way they are in another universe whether they know it or not.
            While I do think I still want to go with the whole 'JumpShips are traveling to colonize another star system route' the idea of the Event not causing them to travel 60,000 ly away but rather to shift to another galaxy or universe or even time period could be an interesting one.

It aids in the whole 'contact with Earth is gone, no attempt will succeed' and also the 'there are many mysteries going on'. Which I find fascinating.

The whole idea that the travel from here to there is what supercharged human evolution, leading to widespread Noetic phenomena also makes a lot of sense. It is also not repeatable, like it would be if it was a 'simple' engine supercharge.

The question becomes Where do they go. Are they in the past. The future. A universe to the side. While not all answers need to be given where they are does I think need to be thought about.

Since this is a separate timeline I would just have Psiads be an emerging phenomenon for Humanity, maybe the incident that caused them to get lost increased the population of say a dozen Psiads aboard the first gen to a couple hundred in the immediate generation.
            I like this. Though the couple hundred might be instead a couple thousand. hehe

The idea of the Chakra Keys for progress is interesting. Most psions can only unlock one Chakra Key while some rare can unlock multiple ones.

I also like the idea that there are noetic phenomena at certain locations in the Grand System. Though I would want them rare and super exotic and to have a hint that they were engineered by someone in the past. (Or maybe future, one cannot tell, hint hint).

As I want unity within the Grand System the whole idea of different tech bases and such is not something I think I would go with. That said, I do like the idea of certain places focuses on certain developments so that the whole needs all the parts.

So to start Humanity only had advanced tech and Talent tech, Psiads were too rare, and the Nova behind it all wasn't a developing Quantum tech for the masses to solve travel with, the Nova instead concentrates on Social Engineering. Upon landing with an increase in Noetic phenomena they start to develop Psi tech, and maybe even discover some Psitech in Ruins to help jumpstart them. At this Point Psi competes with Inspired tech for how they go about advancing human technology.
            I like this. I think its a nice set up. I think it works well as a tech tree progression. I am definitely going to go with this.

One of the things I would experiment with are the effects we see when populations are separated on islands, like the finches with the different beaks. So maybe for instance they find evidence that the Gas Giant seems to have had a point in the past where the flora and fauna were moved around, probably an old civilization brought them with them. It could have been so long ago, Hundreds of Millions of years that they evolved very differently but biologists can trace them to the same ancestors. So maybe one Planet had a lot of the local fauna usurped by an invasive species of birds and after they extincted much of the animal life they evolved divergently to fill in different niches so you have birdlike horses, and panthers and some fish and insects but maybe other animal life larger then mice didn't make it. And another planet only has insects and plants until humanity lands and brings other lifeforms.

With that said what animal and plant life was humanity able to introduce? Were they limited to Terraforming Algae and Bacteria, or were they able to bring cattle and cats and dogs, or were they able to salvage a gene Ark from Earth where they can 3D print Zoo's worth of animals in labs.
            Your note about the alien ecosystem showing direct manipulation is on spot. Between the orbits of some planets and the nature of the life on the planets themselves the Grand System is clearly something worked on by something in the distant past. Having said life all share a somewhat common root is nifty and Adenture worthy.

I might even make said common root seemingly based on Earth life. Which would lead to an interesting side plot for those interested in such things.

My idea is that the Expedition knew it was for the longhaul and so they planned accordingly. Which means genetic templates and such for pretty much every variety of Earth life that could be examined. Which means that yeah, they could biologically grow everything that was on Earth. Some of which, of course, would be kept in secured Zoos while others (such as dogs nad cats, because come on) would become as common as humans.

On the terraforming I do have the idea that some of the 27 habitable worlds were immedately habitable while others needed Basic or Standard terraforming to be made habitable (there is also Advanced terraforming, but none of the 27 worlds qualify as that).

Comment

Oh I was thinking that Psiads grew into the thousands too. I was just thinking it was a growth, and exponential growth at that. So they started with a dozen or so prejump Psiads. The Journey erupted a couple hundred psiads but by the time they start having Kids you get populations in the Thousands, probably with several factions theorizing on all of humanity becoming Psi users, but maybe some not wanting that out of fear, and others might even realize making Humanity a Noetic Species closes off the options for Talents and Quantum.

Hmmm maybe the Engines supercharged and sent them to the Far Future so the Animals are relics of humanity bringing them in the past and dying off and after Hundreds of Millions of Years in Hyperlimbo they arrive to a universe with Humanity Extinct and constellations different for some reason. Or mix both ideas, they journey to a parallel Universe that had slightly different math during the big bang so it doesn't geographically mirror our universe due to the exponential difference in star formation Billions of Years ago, but its also in the future and Humanity tried to follow the Colony ships after they disappeared by investigating the trail left by their Engines. They actually arrived before the Colonies did and they had early colonies on in the system but they didn't last for mysterious reasons. And the Colonists start to discover this. Or they simple are ruins from a Parallel Earth on a different adjacent universe that simply got their earlier. Maybe this indicates a pattern that this system is on a specific confluence of Anomalies that different Earths naturally gravitate towards when they discover technology to breach the universal barrier.

I really like the idea of traveling across the Universal Barrier naturally awakens Noetic potential, and Inspires. Adventure played around with the Hammersmith Incident creating the 3 types of Adventurers but it seemed to be tied with the Z-waves bridging together other worlds. So maybe the source of Noetic phenomena is the Sea of Psi between Universes. The Superflow composed of thought and potential, is something Marvel plays with as the Source of the Phoenix and Starbrand, and DC has it as the Bleed which is very Flux and Quantum like.

Comment

Oh I was thinking that Psiads grew into the thousands too. I was just thinking it was a growth, and exponential growth at that. So they started with a dozen or so prejump Psiads. The Journey erupted a couple hundred psiads but by the time they start having Kids you get populations in the Thousands, probably with several factions theorizing on all of humanity becoming Psi users, but maybe some not wanting that out of fear, and others might even realize making Humanity a Noetic Species closes off the options for Talents and Quantum.
                Yeah that timeline makes sense. From a dozen from Earth (who may have a few hundred out of a human population in the billions) to a few hundred right off the bat to multiple thousand within a generation of Arrival to becoming a full noetic species in some future. Such a nice structure.

While within the core TC setting the fact that humanity has all three types is a brilliant and unique thing, in this one I don't know if I will even bring that topic up. I mean the fact that Psi users have access to QK shows to me there is some potential for quantum abilities. Which means I could totally see the potential where every once and a while a Nova is born, even if said child's parents are Psions. (But that is a far future)

(I love Novas, I really do, but there utterly chaotic power set frustrates me a bit when one compares to the nicely organized Psion power set with 8 Aptitudes, and 3 Modes per Aptitude, and a potential 10 dots for each Mode. Soooo much more organized. hehe)

Hmmm maybe the Engines supercharged and sent them to the Far Future so the Animals are relics of humanity bringing them in the past and dying off and after Hundreds of Millions of Years in Hyperlimbo they arrive to a universe with Humanity Extinct and constellations different for some reason. Or mix both ideas, they journey to a parallel Universe that had slightly different math during the big bang so it doesn't geographically mirror our universe due to the exponential difference in star formation Billions of Years ago, but its also in the future and Humanity tried to follow the Colony ships after they disappeared by investigating the trail left by their Engines. They actually arrived before the Colonies did and they had early colonies on in the system but they didn't last for mysterious reasons. And the Colonists start to discover this. Or they simple are ruins from a Parallel Earth on a different adjacent universe that simply got their earlier. Maybe this indicates a pattern that this system is on a specific confluence of Anomalies that different Earths naturally gravitate towards when they discover technology to breach the universal barrier.
                The idea that the ruins themselves are Human was not something I had thought about. So hmmm.

Another idea could be that they traveled to the distant past.

But another idea could be that the evidence is inconclusive. That while the stars seem to indicate they are in the past there is also evidence to suggest that what exists around them could have only come from the future.

Oooh the idea that this Grand System is located somewhere where the potential to travel between universes is a very interesting one to me. Now obviously this wouldn't be the focus for the first campaign but the idea of there being hints to indicate that there is More Going On!!! could be fun. Especially if the ruins don't always flow - some are alien, some are human, some of the human ones are far different from others that are also human.

It also allows for native life that is monstrous and bizare and alien while there is also life that can clearly be named 'dinosaurs'.

Another idea is what is it like outside the Grand System itself. I have the idea that there can be a vast nebula to one side, an equally vast rift barren of stars to another, a third side could have a series of black holes in a mysterious pattern, and a fourth side that seems to have a normal set of star systems. Though there is primitiave life and the signs that sapient life traveled the region, there is kust as much signs that something happened. Maybe battle scarred ruins and such.

All this will only be slowly revealed when the team are dispatched to help the science team assigned to study a stellar phenomena outside the Grand System. Plots!

I really like the idea of traveling across the Universal Barrier naturally awakens Noetic potential, and Inspires. Adventure played around with the Hammersmith Incident creating the 3 types of Adventurers but it seemed to be tied with the Z-waves bridging together other worlds. So maybe the source of Noetic phenomena is the Sea of Psi between Universes. The Superflow composed of thought and potential, is something Marvel plays with as the Source of the Phoenix and Starbrand, and DC has it as the Bleed which is very Flux and Quantum like.
                Yeah it makes sense. I mean there has to be something that occurs when one moves from here to there in a non-secured space. In fact, I could, in theory, haveit so that some people on the ship dies, some awaken as psi users, and some are switched out for people from other universes in some sort of 'wtf' moment. hehe

Comment

Yeah it makes sense. I mean there has to be something that occurs when one moves from here to there in a non-secured space. In fact, I could, in theory, haveit so that some people on the ship dies, some awaken as psi users, and some are switched out for people from other universes in some sort of 'wtf' moment. hehe
                  Yeah I really like that. Some people switched with others from the multiverse could be a seed bed of plots continuously, so much potential there, maybe even some instances of multiple of the same individual, and conflict on who is actually married to a spouse or owns property.

I also like the idea for big eruption events like this that some folks appear to die but exist as "ghosts", so astral being maybe like the Doyen, or maybe Quantum Wraiths. But I think its a good idea to introduce the idea maybe a lot of people died on the Journey. Maybe for instance the whole caravan/armada/colony numbed around 5 million, but they travel across the Universal barrier outright killed many, some ships disappeared (maybe they are alive and think the others are dead and lost in another sister universe) some were destroyed, and some were mutated into mindless monsters. Heck you can use this to justify the mindless monsters you wanted, as well as bodiless possessing entities.

Comment

Yeah I really like that. Some people switched with others from the multiverse could be a seed bed of plots continuously, so much potential there, maybe even some instances of multiple of the same individual, and conflict on who is actually married to a spouse or owns property.

I also like the idea for big eruption events like this that some folks appear to die but exist as "ghosts", so astral being maybe like the Doyen, or maybe Quantum Wraiths. But I think its a good idea to introduce the idea maybe a lot of people died on the Journey. Maybe for instance the whole caravan/armada/colony numbed around 5 million, but they travel across the Universal barrier outright killed many, some ships disappeared (maybe they are alive and think the others are dead and lost in another sister universe) some were destroyed, and some were mutated into mindless monsters. Heck you can use this to justify the mindless monsters you wanted, as well as bodiless possessing entities.
                    It might even be beneficial to ask one of the players to have a backstory that is slightly at odds with the official canon background for the campaign. Not too big a thing just something small that might come out as proof that they are different. hehe

I think there is potential in some of the dead not actually being dead, being instead noetic entities. I could also see there being empty cryopods, which obviously doesn't make sense since when the ship launched the pods were filled. Therein is an interesting potential.

I could totally see a few of the JumpShips crashing somewhere within or near the Grand System, which would lead to a sort of adventure to rescue it. They could have useful technologies on them that need to be recovered.

Another potential is that a ship crashed either during the Arrival or somewhat afterward into an alien ruin, which activated on an emergency automated level and led to the creation of monstrous human-alien hybrids that need to be stopped. Or something.

The fact that the area of the campaign is both constrained (seven stars within a single Grand System) but also quite open and full of wondrous things could lead to a lot of potential. A lot of potential indeed.

Love the feedback and continuing discussion. Very fun to read. So thanks!

Comment

I love these discussions, you always have such interesting Threads. I want Trinity to become bigger so we have a larger community because I really love the ideas that pop up for it! Can you explain to me plans you have for it being a Grand System? Any links I can read for Solar Systems with Seven stars, its an interesting concept I would like to look into. To colonists it would certainly seem auspicious, supremely so and I would imagine it would inspire religious reflection on how it seems to be perfectly designed, while other would definitely think about how much of the System was artificially designed and how much of it was luck.

Here's an Idea what about the notion one of the planets reverse engineers an Alien language from ruins and incorporate it in their local planetary culture. Perhaps its particularly apt for discussions of math and science as well as being excellent in displaying exact and precise context in conversations. Maybe also specializing in written word, or perhaps instead of written language they use three dimensional symbols, maybe with whole books represented by sculptures twisting, spiralling, and 90 degree turning made of a composition of smaller symbols. And the humans would naturally probably make a simplified version of the language that can be represented with 2 dimensional written word. I like the idea of archeologists and Xenoanthropologists trying to incorporate what is useful from extremely intelligent extinct systems.

How do you imagine economy works, do you think they will use universal income like presented in the Aeon book, or some combination of capitalist economy and post scarcity basic needs coverage?

Do you imagine any of the planets in a state of particular discontent, that could worry the rest of the system? Incorporating Alien language and salvaged culture perhaps could alienate that planet somewhat as the Alien Language system may actually be mutating the way they thing and process info. Or maybe the Planet most invested in manipulation of life and body becomes too fluid in their mores and taboos and leads them to having less in common with more standard humans, maybe even some are petitioning for making organic labor constructs but others petition against it worry about notions of cloned slave species. Or a group invested in AI or Quantum research to an extent that brings them rapid divergence from the Noeticly inclined neighbors. Maybe someone even discovers the Nova Director of the System's origins and try to reverse engineer the Quantum accident that erupted the Director but on a larger scale hoping to become a God. If the story is after this was attempted maybe the Oneil Cylinder Colony it was secretly built on was destroyed in the Process creating one of the rare few Novas, however this one is heavily tainted and with a chip on its shoulder.

And how secret would Superiors be? Would it be the Central government that establishes the process, or could it be a result of a similar Chakra Key Chambers discovered that instead of awakening Noetic potential makes Superiors? Or maybe Superiors are established originally by the Military and they spread to Civic and perhaps even economic venues. Or a planet on the farthest Orbit secretly develops Superiors as a method to resist Noetic Superiority, like a Human Council against the Homo Mentalis whatever we call the Psions since Homo Superior is taken already by Mutants (Novas).

Comment

I love these discussions, you always have such interesting Threads. I want Trinity to become bigger so we have a larger community because I really love the ideas that pop up for it! Can you explain to me plans you have for it being a Grand System? Any links I can read for Solar Systems with Seven stars, its an interesting concept I would like to look into. To colonists it would certainly seem auspicious, supremely so and I would imagine it would inspire religious reflection on how it seems to be perfectly designed, while other would definitely think about how much of the System was artificially designed and how much of it was luck.
                        Oh yeah, the fact that this system is seemingly well organized is clearly a sign that something happened. I mean the underlying nature makes scientific sense but there is much in terms of megascale engineering.

On the system creating religious awe, himm. As is the whole question one might have on what it means for how perfect the system is designed. Especially when one considers the new presence of full blown and easily seen Psi Powers.

Here's an Idea what about the notion one of the planets reverse engineers an Alien language from ruins and incorporate it in their local planetary culture. Perhaps its particularly apt for discussions of math and science as well as being excellent in displaying exact and precise context in conversations. Maybe also specializing in written word, or perhaps instead of written language they use three dimensional symbols, maybe with whole books represented by sculptures twisting, spiralling, and 90 degree turning made of a composition of smaller symbols. And the humans would naturally probably make a simplified version of the language that can be represented with 2 dimensional written word. I like the idea of archeologists and Xenoanthropologists trying to incorporate what is useful from extremely intelligent extinct systems.
                        I like this. The idea that as alien technology becomes understood by humanity they begin effecting what we do makes perfect sense. I already figure that artificial gravity is one such thing that we gain from the alien ruins and so it makes so much sense that language and other effects would also effect things. But yeah taking alien symbol language and translating it to human tech sounds brilliant.

How do you imagine economy works, do you think they will use universal income like presented in the Aeon book, or some combination of capitalist economy and post scarcity basic needs coverage?
                        While I haven't come up with the full on economic system for the campaign setting (hehe) the idea I have is basically what you say - its a capitalist economy with post scarcity basic needs coverage due to the presence of personal and industrial fabricators. I do think that the Nova Director would involve himself and his state with any corporations that might appear, a fact that he would use his Nova abilities to sort of sooth over any ruffled feathers.

Do you imagine any of the planets in a state of particular discontent, that could worry the rest of the system? Incorporating Alien language and salvaged culture perhaps could alienate that planet somewhat as the Alien Language system may actually be mutating the way they thing and process info. Or maybe the Planet most invested in manipulation of life and body becomes too fluid in their mores and taboos and leads them to having less in common with more standard humans, maybe even some are petitioning for making organic labor constructs but others petition against it worry about notions of cloned slave species. Or a group invested in AI or Quantum research to an extent that brings them rapid divergence from the Noeticly inclined neighbors. Maybe someone even discovers the Nova Director of the System's origins and try to reverse engineer the Quantum accident that erupted the Director but on a larger scale hoping to become a God. If the story is after this was attempted maybe the Oneil Cylinder Colony it was secretly built on was destroyed in the Process creating one of the rare few Novas, however this one is heavily tainted and with a chip on its shoulder.
                        My thought is that the campaign would be either upon Arrival or ten years Post-Arrival. This would be a time of expansion and development and so there is little discontent. That said I do think that the discovery of alien ruins, and alien information, and then sapient alien life itself would lead to some sort of general worry. How bad it would be I don't know, and as I look at things in a more positive light I think whatever bad that occurs the people in power (including the agent PCs) would work to sooth and stabilize things.

All your ideas are potentially possible for the future when the colonies begin making particular focused names for themselves, though at this time such projects are probably little more then at the beginner stage.

You know, talking about things, I might want to consdier having the Director be a superPsiad rather than a Nova. This way I can have him have the same power source that everyone else would use. hmmm

And how secret would Superiors be? Would it be the Central government that establishes the process, or could it be a result of a similar Chakra Key Chambers discovered that instead of awakening Noetic potential makes Superiors? Or maybe Superiors are established originally by the Military and they spread to Civic and perhaps even economic venues. Or a planet on the farthest Orbit secretly develops Superiors as a method to resist Noetic Superiority, like a Human Council against the Homo Mentalis whatever we call the Psions since Homo Superior is taken already by Mutants (Novas).
                        On this I have to think a lot more about. When I first came up with the basic idea for the Grand System it as system neutral and so I didn't really think of the place where the metanormals apply. But now that I figure there is no reason not to use the Trinity Continuum rules (since it really does fit things so well) I have to figure out where I want Talents, Superiors, Novas, Psiads/Psions to go.

One potential idea is that Superiors are the well known metanormals of Known Space, which means of course that they came with the rest of the colonists. Talents exist of course but they are just expert sort of people rather than a clear cut powered people. Then there are the Psiads, who exist in the shadows and such of Known Space.

Comment

Ohh I didn't consider that the Director could be a hyper advanced Psiad! Maybe the Director is Immortal and the equivalent of a Hammersmith Survivor, so erupted in the past and worked in shadows to cultivate power. I do like the idea of flat out just having one 8+ Psi being.

Another option is to homebrew a High top tier Talent. I've explored the Idea alternate Versions of Mercer who travels between Universes rather then Time, and the idea of a Higher Tier Talent to represent certain depictions of super-geniuses like Mycroft Holmes so he makes accurate projections of geopolitical major events and trends over a century into the future. His power doesn't manifest in a flashy instance but the Skill/Luck/Subtlety angle is reflected in things like a Perfect Memory Palaces, quick recollection, and accurate forecasts after compiling insane amounts of Data. So a Talent version of a Mega Intelligent Mega Manipulator.

Comment

Ohh I didn't consider that the Director could be a hyper advanced Psiad! Maybe the Director is Immortal and the equivalent of a Hammersmith Survivor, so erupted in the past and worked in shadows to cultivate power. I do like the idea of flat out just having one 8+ Psi being.

Another option is to homebrew a High top tier Talent. I've explored the Idea alternate Versions of Mercer who travels between Universes rather then Time, and the idea of a Higher Tier Talent to represent certain depictions of super-geniuses like Mycroft Holmes so he makes accurate projections of geopolitical major events and trends over a century into the future. His power doesn't manifest in a flashy instance but the Skill/Luck/Subtlety angle is reflected in things like a Perfect Memory Palaces, quick recollection, and accurate forecasts after compiling insane amounts of Data. So a Talent version of a Mega Intelligent Mega Manipulator.
                            Yeah, I think having the Director be a Psiad of high Psi potential and multiple high level Aptitudes makes perfect sense. It also benefits me by removing the whole issue about why he didn't develop Q-Tech and other such things. It also explains why he is a leader among leaders, his psi powers benefit him in many ways.

While I don't think it fits here the idea of a high top tier Talent category is something I am very much a fan of. I think it would be nifty to see such advanced Talent Gifts. Plus there is something really cool about powers that affect Luck and Aptitude. Its simple to understand yet also fun to possess and play.

(I really like Mega-Attributes and wish that Psions had them. I think it would be a cool element to implement. Though that is not something that is this potential setting focused.)

Comment

That’s not how that works, you can’t compare a futuristic colony whose whole point is to populate a brand new world to established nations with a growing elderly population and diminishing youth. That flat out isn’t how new colonies work. Population is steered a great deal by societal intent. China was stabilizing population growth before the one child policy, if over night they had twice as much land they would probably reverse their policy.

By your reasoning Australia shouldn’t have millions of people. A world with post scarcity fusion technology and literally over two dozen times the available prime real estate, that is crowded already on Earth, flat out wouldn’t have the same constraints that slows the population of say Belgium and Japan.

The reasons why people aren’t having children now wouldn’t one for one existing in that particular setting. Even if you had some revolutionary new religion and culture that emphasized guilt and population stagnation, it wouldn’t be universal “unless there was some sort of government mandated sterilization backed by a superior force of super robot sentinels”. Because I wouldn’t be universal those that emphasized not breeding would be supplant d quite efficiently by those with no compunction on population growth.

Fusion and fabricator technology combined with the lack of crowded (quite the inverse as it’s mostly likely going to have government incentive on population growth) conditions would mean a population growth bigger then what we saw in the baby boom post World War Two.
                              That's exactly how it does work. Those established nations are like that because of their lower birthrates compared to poorer and more crowded places like India and Africa, European governments are trying to reverse this, with limited success. Australia has been below replacement fertility since 1960. China has repealed the One Child policy and is also worried about an aging population. Neither of those countries lost land area. It was greater opportunities for women, causing them to put off having children, along the increased cost of raising children. Both limited the size of families. That's what turned the Baby Boom into the baby bust of Gen X. How many of the female colonists would be stay at home moms?

Originally posted by LordHeru View Post
                              ^ that!

In fact population growth maybe eben higher if you add say artificial womb technology so parents can have children without loosing work time.

My campaign setting is not one where tech lebels degrade and so many advances exist to make life good, even in the unknown.
                              You'd need more than artificial wombs. Children would have to be produced and raised by the state like Brave New World.

Comment

To be fair, the Baby Boom was a direct result of two World Wars. It was never sustainable in the first place.

I am unfamiliar with the population records of the various European settlers in any of the associated colonies, but i am certain that is absolutely the place to look at for the growth rates for these interstellar colonies. Admittedly, there are additional variables to consider (resources prepared in advance, the lack of a native populace to trade/steal from) that make a significant difference.

Thoughts ripple out, birthing others

Comment

Working...
                                X