Immortals in Trinity Continuum

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Immortals in Trinity Continuum

So I really love the concept of the immortal, the undying, and such. Now normally I go with using versions somewhat modified from the toolkits that are both World and Chronicles of Darkness, with some lightening one might say. I also sometimes use the idea of the True Immortal and the Lodge of the Undying from the decades old book Witchcraft by CJ Carella.

But I was thinking about it recently and there is nothing that says living immortals can't exist in the Trinity Continuum. Heck, theoretically, if a Psiad appeared millennia ago all they would need is one point in VK and would have no effective lifespan, making them immortal. But I was also thinking of other ways to go about such a thing. An example is something like a natural born Superior (mechanically that is, thematically they would be something else) whose mastery of physical attributes would lead to immorality.

But yeah I think it would be a fascinating question to ask - what a immortal campaign set in the Trinity Continuum would look like.

My home game has several immortals. Back in 1e I ran a series of interconnected games across all three titles. Several NPCs were alive in all three eras. I never had a player play a character that popped up in more than one era, but some of those characters became NPCs in other eras (the players were no longer available). If you have the player characters existing across eras that will likely lead to very powerful characters by the Aeon era. I think the system allows for it, and now that the rules are more harmonious that 1e I suspect it wouldn't be too much of a hastle.

If you want immortal PCs across eras without them getting too OP consider rebuilding for each era. They should start with bonus XP, but there is no need to actuall give them the nigh infinite XP the character would have had it actually been played for over a century. Just chalk it up to the character having forgotten some things along the way, or slacked off on their training for a couple decades.

Comment

I keep seeing this on the threads, and I don't know where it's coming from: Why does everyone think that knowing Vitakinesis grants you immortality? What is that based on?

Comment

Originally posted by Wynterknight View Post
        I keep seeing this on the threads, and I don't know where it's coming from: Why does everyone think that knowing Vitakinesis grants you immortality? What is that based on?

Page 260 in Aeon Core in the sidebar Psionic Longevity. "Vitakinetics and biokinetics with high latency or who have learned to enhance their powers all seem to have ceased aging and may well be immortal,and this also appears to be true for anyone with a Vitakinetic Auxiliary Mode."

Comment

Originally posted by Slagheap View Post
          My home game has several immortals. Back in 1e I ran a series of interconnected games across all three titles. Several NPCs were alive in all three eras. I never had a player play a character that popped up in more than one era, but some of those characters became NPCs in other eras (the players were no longer available). If you have the player characters existing across eras that will likely lead to very powerful characters by the Aeon era. I think the system allows for it, and now that the rules are more harmonious that 1e I suspect it wouldn't be too much of a hastle.

If you want immortal PCs across eras without them getting too OP consider rebuilding for each era. They should start with bonus XP, but there is no need to actuall give them the nigh infinite XP the character would have had it actually been played for over a century. Just chalk it up to the character having forgotten some things along the way, or slacked off on their training for a couple decades.
          The idea of having a set of people occassionally return to new games because technically they would still be a live is brilliant and fun. So thumbs up on that.

On the whole experience one part of me is like "it makes sense that when not on adventure one's experience flow is slower" but then another part of me is like "but but but why should my century plus year old person be low level!!!" hehe

When it comes to the power groups of Psiads and Novas I do really think it would be hard for there to be a millennia old Nova just sitting around without anyone knowing about it, at least under current rules. (I could see Quantum maximums and experience costs being greater in periods of low quantum energy in the environment as a balance point, that and a focus more on Mega-Edges than straight up powers). But I could see Psiads existing as there powers, while definitely mighty are a bit more, or at least can be, lowkey.

If one were to use the Superior rules (but change the fluff description about it) then one could probably get something like the Immortals from Highlander. hehe

It would be cool to have a book about Inspired through the centuries. I think it would be fun to be a Psiad born in the ancient past who has lived and developed all these years.

Comment

Originally posted by LordHeru View Post

Page 260 in Aeon Core in the sidebar Psionic Longevity. "Vitakinetics and biokinetics with high latency or who have learned to enhance their powers all seem to have ceased aging and may well be immortal,and this also appears to be true for anyone with a Vitakinetic Auxiliary Mode."
            If you want immortals, this is a quick and easy way to justify them. (For psionicists, at least.)

But, this is based on less than 20 years of data* and may not be true.

*Bhurano may or may not be special in this regard, and other hundreds+ year old psiads haven’t made themselves known, if any are out there.

Writer. Developer. World of Darkness | Chronicles of Darkness | The Trinity Continuum

Comment

The solution to 1k+ novas and why there's so few psiads etc is every so often they feel a call to come together to fight.. the last one standing gains all the psy/quantum of the others immediatly transcending beyond the human condition...

Comment

Originally posted by Lian View Post
                The solution to 1k+ novas and why there's so few psiads etc is every so often they feel a call to come together to fight.. the last one standing gains all the psy/quantum of the others immediatly transcending beyond the human condition...

I see what you did there...

Comment

Originally posted by Lian View Post

Just... NEVER... put aliens in this story... you will latter have to retcon it... it will be a total disaster...

Comment

Originally posted by Mateus Luz View Post

Just... NEVER... put aliens in this story... you will latter have to retcon it... it will be a total disaster...

I don't know... I mean who wouldn't want to play an Immortal going around murdering Doyen for quick... I mean psi points.

... I mean I started this as a joke but the more I think about how well Highlander might work better in the TC than the traditional attempt to tie it some version of the World of Darkness...
                    Last edited by Lian; 10-13-2019, 02:14 AM.

Comment

The whole putting Highlander Immortals in Trinity Continuum works pretty well. I mean Flux could be Quickening. I could also see using the Superior template to represent the special abilities that the Immortals have access to. But even more using it in TC rather than WoD/CoD means there is no need to darken the world and the splat.

Which is another reason why I think there being some sort of immortal group hanging around in TC would be very cool. Said immortal group would have various paranormal things to handle but won't have to worry about sharing the dark world with multiple monstrous groups.

Honestly, I think it would be really cool to run a TC game that moves through the ages.

Comment

I would put the Immortals (as Highlander) as Talents, no powers other than Gifts and Inspiration (they call it Quickening), except for 2 specific traits, the character never dies when taken out, unless if the head is taken of, and they can detect other inspired.

Comment

Originally posted by Mateus Luz View Post
                          I would put the Immortals (as Highlander) as Talents, no powers other than Gifts and Inspiration (they call it Quickening), except for 2 specific traits, the character never dies when taken out, unless if the head is taken of, and they can detect other inspired.
                          While Talents could totally work for them it might be more fun to have the members of the Watchers be Talents and the actual Immortals be Superiors. I say this because we clearly see through the times of the TV show that the Immortals have some sort of special abilities. Ones which could be mechanically described using Superior rules.

I love options

Comment

I know what you mean about the immortals, they do some fantastic stuff in the series, more than in the movies, indeed they look really Superhuman in essence. My opinion now:

Talents can do quite fantastic stuff to by spending inspiration and having enough of the proper facet. Let’s say a talent can hold the stone door open a little longer if spend inspiration on a Reflective action, or cause more damage to a building or a vehicle if have enough destructive. Talents can also increase their scale by 1 for a single action by spending Inspiration.And I didn’t even touch the gifts that can be very flexible.

The weak point in talents is not what they can do, as they are extremely flexible, but how often they can do amazing things. If it’s a thing they do once in a while and the character get tired (uninspired) it can be a talent even if it seams really Superhuman. That’s why I see Batman as a talent (likely Inspiration 8+) and not a dark star, his power is knowing the script of the story before it happens, basically dramatic editing, and a huge amount of skill, edges and gifts. same thing about the immortals, they do crazy stuff but not all the time, and they usually do lots of different stuff, not always the same.

Comment

Yes, exactly. Honestly, when I think of Highlander its the show, its Duncan and Methos and the ethos of the Watchers we learn about there.

I agree with you on the fact that Talents are quite powerful. But the fact that their powers are powered by both Momentum and Inspiration means they can't be used that often. Superior powers are basically if you have it then you can use it, which seems to be more inline with what Highlander Immortals (which are not automatically what I want when I think of Immortals in TC) look like.

On Batman, honestly, yes, I think him as a Talent makes a lot of sense. Give him the Talent Gift to deal with beings with higher sclae and a vast assortment of Luck, Aptitutde Gifts and you get his ability,. That and his Inspired gadgets, which while not as say vast as a quantum powered one can still do more things in smaller packages then other people can have access to.

I guess one of the things about playing in an Immortal campaign is what one wants the players to be able to do. If you want clearly visible super powers then go with immortal Psiads or Novas, but if you want lowkey but clearly present and always able to be one step ahead of others then I think something like a Superior might work on a mechanical basis.

Comment

Working...
                              X