Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How are Psi, Quantum and Flux related to each other?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How are Psi, Quantum and Flux related to each other?

I’m not sure if there is an official answer yet, but I’m curious about what you guys are doing in your campaigns. Our group probably won’t start playing TC till Aberrant comes out, but it helps to figure out stuff like this in advance so I can get a better feel for my character and the world around her.

Sing me a song of a lass who is gone
    ​Say could that lass be I...

​Theme song from Outlander

It what way do you mean? I’m not sure precisely what aspects your asking after from your post.

Writer. Developer. World of Darkness | Chronicles of Darkness | The Trinity Continuum

Comment

Are they three aspects of the same force, or are they three separate forces? Are Psi, Quantum and Flux three different kinds of telluric energy, or is telluric energy just a word they used in Adventure! because people didn’t understand how the universe worked back then?

Hope this helps clarify what I meant. You’re a writer for Trinity, so you would know the “official answer” if anyone would.

Comment

Flux and psi are defined in TC Core.Flux is the energies created when two continuum worlds collide with one another. It’s a strain on the fabric of the universe that may create strangeness and that some people may be able to harness. Psi is the inherent psionic power that permeates the universe. Quantum is the fundamental universal forces that govern energy and matter. They’re all three separate ‘energies’ and not aspects of the same thing.

The answer to your second question is a little circular. ‘Telluric energy’ was a term used to describe the poorly understood energy and abilities drawn upon by Daredevils, Stalwarts and Mesmerists in the 1e Adventure! era. The people of that time didn’t understand the differences between the forces, and in 1e the opposing aspects of psi and quantum didn’t manifest as problems for Mesmerists or stalwarts going against each other, for whatever unexplored reason.

So, by definition, psi, quantum and flux are three different kinds of ‘telluric energy’ simply because the term ‘telluric energy’ was invented to describe something the people of the time didn’t really understand. It doesn’t actually mean anything, or that ‘telluric energy’ is a thing that exists on its own.

But, caveat this with the fact that 2e Adventure! hasn’t been written yet. Until it is, and it’s published, it’s not established what from 1e carries through to 2e and what doesn’t.

Writer. Developer. World of Darkness | Chronicles of Darkness | The Trinity Continuum

Comment

The fact that the same genetic sequence can be flipped to three different things is interesting. It makes me curious as to why that genetic structure leads to them all. Now, I assume that a meta-reason is that we don't want a person to be like "I am a Talented Psiad Nova" and such but to me the internal reason is also very interesting to think about.

Comment

Originally posted by LordHeru View Post
            The fact that the same genetic sequence can be flipped to three different things is interesting.
            Well, two different things. Psychomorph or eximorph. Genes don't factor into whatever happens to Talents.

Ian A. A. Watson
            Onyx Path Community Manager
            Trinity Continuum Content Lead

Comment

Originally posted by IanWatson View Post

Well, two different things. Psychomorph or eximorph. Genes don't factor into whatever happens to Talents.

Does that mean someone who has the gene cannot manifest as a Talent?

Comment

Oooooh really, how interesting. I thought it was all three. Cool stuff though. It totally works with the whole 'Talents are something else' thing. How interesting.

Comment

Oooooh really, how interesting. I thought it was all three. Cool stuff though. It totally works with the whole 'Talents are something else' thing. How interesting.
                  Yeah. There's an example Talent in the core book who got her powers because she sat in her favorite stairwell to watch the stars for a few hours when there happened to be a flux event going on, and then noticed she had incredible luck later on and decided to use it for crime.

One thing I like about the whole setup, other than the way it reinforces the "there's lots of alternate realities out there" as something to build campaigns and adventures and characters around, is that it also implies that there could be more power sources. Especially with the (I think new to 2e?) thing where the Hammersmith Experiment was not the first time any of these powers existed, just the first time there was a massive scale event. So there could also be chi or elemental magic or whatever, and ancient X-Men Apocalypse-style nova warlords, rather than everything being strictly bound within the "three games, three sets of powers, everything fits neatly into this scheme, no novas before Divis Mal" thing from 1e.

Comment

Originally posted by Zeea View Post
                    Yeah. There's an example Talent in the core book who got her powers because she sat in her favorite stairwell to watch the stars for a few hours when there happened to be a flux event going on, and then noticed she had incredible luck later on and decided to use it for crime.
                    Actually, Novas erupt in kind of the same way, just with Quantum Flux instead of Flux, that’s why in the Nova era there were so many novas. But they had the genetic predisposition to erupt, like Hulk, if instead of Banner, another person was there the person would die, but banned had a genetic capacity of absorbing gamma (or what ever, can’t remember the exact plot).

Talents may be different, but maybe they have some kind of genetic disposition, or other kind of disposition, like you unknowingly traveled to another reality or maybe you lack a counterpart in a specific parallel reality... just guessing, Flux is the inter dimensional energy, so... any kind of thing is possible.

Comment

There is a thing on talents, they can be false positive on Nova gene, as we can see on Nakamura process being used in some people that became Talents and not a Superior, and it’s fairly common with about a Talent for every 5 superiors. As I said, it’s a false positive, possibly a coincidence or a different gene that react in a specific way and have nothing to do with Novas.

Comment

Originally posted by Zeea View Post
                        Especially with the (I think new to 2e?) thing where the Hammersmith Experiment was not the first time any of these powers existed, just the first time there was a massive scale event. So there could also be chi or elemental magic or whatever, and ancient X-Men Apocalypse-style nova warlords, rather than everything being strictly bound within the "three games, three sets of powers, everything fits neatly into this scheme, no novas before Divis Mal" thing from 1e.

Its not new to 2e its just that the Trinity Broad Gameline ended with Adventure! the Core book so there was no way to really explore other places.

Comment

One of the things I like about Trinity is that its all scientific rather than magical or supernatural. That there is an underlying science to Quantum, Psi, or the Flux that Talents use. That given time a species can genetically engineer Quantum, Psi, and such to create variants from the norm. We see it with the Doyn on Psions and we see it with humanity on Superiors. Nothing says that given time other variations couldn't be created by one group or another attempting to create the 'perfect superhuman'.

Its a nifty concept. Very fun.

Comment

Bunyip thank you. That really clarifies things.

Comment

One of the things I like about Trinity is that its all scientific rather than magical or supernatural. That there is an underlying science to Quantum, Psi, or the Flux that Talents use. That given time a species can genetically engineer Quantum, Psi, and such to create variants from the norm. We see it with the Doyn on Psions and we see it with humanity on Superiors. Nothing says that given time other variations couldn't be created by one group or another attempting to create the 'perfect superhuman'.

Its a nifty concept. Very fun.

It really is in how one looks at it. From the scientifically rational outlook in the 21st century, there are natural forces at work that help to produce Novas, Psiads/Psions and Talents, but even during this time, these forces are not fully understood by those researching them. However, if you were to look at them through the superstitous eyes common before the Enlightenment of the 16th Century, one would easily come to the conclusion that these abilities were supernatural in some way. Even Dev Mal referred to the three groups as likely giving rise to the legends of Heroes, Mystics and Gods of antiquity (at least in 1st Ed).

As the old quote says, sufficiently advanced science/technology would be virtually impossible to distinguish from magic/sorcery by those who didn't understand the difference. What seems like a marvel of science today would be seen as a miracle in another age and time.

This was my way of thinking when I proposed an alternative setting that would see the powers of Talents, Psions/Psiads and Novas appear in a much earlier era... a Mythic Age that would be remembered in legends of giving rise to mythical nations... of which Atlantis was but one of them. It was going to span 1000 years of time, from the advent of the appearance of these sources of power, through the rise of many mythic nations as these powers mature, to an ultimate crisis that sees most of what was wrought in this age be torn apart as these nations war with each other for dominance... which ultimately sees these sources of power virtually vanish until near the Modern Age (with small pockets of expression popping up from time to time, but not in the same numbers as during this mythic age).

As I said... it really depends on one's perspective on whether it is science or the supernatural. Today we see lightning as a natural expression of electro-magnetism... but to the Vikings who worshiped Thor... it was his divine wrath made manifest. We understand the principles that cause volcanoes to erupt... but to the Romans living on Pompeii centuries ago, the eruption of Mt. Vesuvius was nothing less than the wrath of Vulcan unleashed upon the world for some unknown offense. By the same token, there may be some things we would see as magical that are merely more advanced principles of science that we do not understand ourselves. The Biotech of Aeon seems almost magical in how it can self repair and even be tailored to the use of a specific individual... relying upon principles of genetics and noetics that we in the 21st century can barely grasp. Magic and Science can often be seen as two different explanations for the same phenomena (depending on one's understanding of the principles involved).

There are three types of people in the world... those who can count and those who can't.
                              I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Comment

Working...
                              X