ANTEDILUVIAN: A Trinity Continuum fantasy setting

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ANTEDILUVIAN: A Trinity Continuum fantasy setting

Between the years when the oceans drank ancient Lemuria and it’s gleaming cities, and the years of the rise of the Sons of Aryas, there was an age undreamed of, when shining kingdoms lay spread across the world like blue mantles beneath the stars.”

One of the ideas I have seen thrown around a lot is the idea of a prehistoric setting set in a Conan-like world where Psi, Quantum and Flux powers are more prevalent, and viewed through the lens of magic. I quite like this idea and have had some thoughts for it. I propose that the splats (do we still call them that?) would be Heroes (Talents), Mystics (Psiads), and Demigods (Novas) with some off-splats, for instance, like the Superiors (Not sure what to call them though...)

Taking a leaf from Exalted I would rename Psi and Psi point to Essence and Essence points. I am not sure about Quantum. Divinity/Divine points?

Heroes
    I feel like Talents can pretty much stay the same, with the addition of Gifts for the less modern skills. I would say that Inspiration would probably be renamed to something, like, Arete or Excellence.

Mystics
    First off, as mentioned, changing Psi to Essence achieves a lot of the effect already. The biggest hurdle is how to divvy up the Modes between the new Schools (?) of mystic powers. Ritual casting or ritual magic, I think, could use a system like Sorcerous Workings from Exalted or something like the Super Science rules. A system that will have to be worked on later. My initial thought is to put each Mode into schools, and various Organizations that teach various Schools as their primary School.

Demigods
    The Novas, or Demigods, would largely be the same, with properly theme'd power sets, and fluff. No idea what to call Quantum though. You could just use Essence also, but... that seems strange to me, since Psi and Quantum are very different.

SETTING
    The setting will be more of a group effort, but it seems a popular pick is to put it in prehistoric Earth in some forgotten age of Myth. Very Conan or Tolkien. It's a direction in which I am interested. With the two named inspirations the question is to have demi-humans or to not? I love demi-humans, but that's me. When I think of this setting the old Atlantis: Second Age rpg comes to mind. Specifically the Second Edition where it had demi-humans, and a largely more diverse world than the reboot of the series. Tangential to that, it would be a good setting to add some WoD/ChroD splats translated over to the Storypath system. I saw a VtR and WtF conversion here somewhere....

So what are your thoughts?

My Homebrew
    Star Wars d10
    The Fallen for Demon: the Descent
    Requiem for a Masquerade: VtR 2e Cainite Conversion (Vampira Roma)

Like your ideas a lot, formalising many discussions happening in the forums for a year or so. Thanks for the work.

Now my thoughts:
    Mystics: great name, you could divide them in 3 groups, one for Biological (Witches, BK and VK), one for Cognitive (Oracles, Tele and Clair) and one for the physical (Warlocks, PK and EK) (names are sugestiona that I didn’t think much about), with a small group of Teleporting masters that learned the other schools before mastery in teleport.
    I would keep QK as a no-no, and let the characters get the base power as an edge or something.
    Instead of Essence maybe Mana or Quintessence, and keep Essence for the Demigods.
    The base for a ritual Casting is set by the Psiads cooperating to each other to use their powers in a more powerful way, just need to make Psiads more focused on the effects they can increase, like what happen to psions, and make a way to build up the power, maybe requiring time scale to add scale to the effect (Mind note to my self... great idea *self high five* work on it latter).
    What I would add, that you didn’t comment is a list of combined effects or additional effects of different modes on other modes, let’s say, if you have any 2 VK modes at least 2 dots, you can use BK on a touched target, and with 2 dots in Telekinesis you can do it at Distance.

Demigods: use Essence for Quantum and change the mystic source name. Transcendence keeps the name, and Flux could be changed to a more mythical name, maybe Taint (the giggling is optional).

Setting: I honestly would create a base from where to start the group Effort. My idea for this is a less medieval version of Conan, I like Conan setting the way it is, but the cities and the medieval technology are to Anachronistic to me...

Comment

I obviously love the idea of using the TC rules for a fantasy antediluvian game (maybe it can be AEntediluvian, hehe, sorry bad joke).

Your structure is a good one, a nice way to combine ideas into one comprehensive whole. While I like the idea of having it be at the birth of civilization it could easily be moved to various other points throughout ancient history.

Soooo two things I never thought of, even though in hindsight they seem obvious.
      1) To change the name of Quantum and Psi to something more setting worthy while keeping the fact that they are in truth still Quantum and Psi. Calling things Essence, Mana, and other such things is aesthetically neat.
      2) The idea of moving the mode categories around. Not actually changing their internal mechanics but rather moving around the sets of them to fit other conceptual spaces. Never thought of it, but I find it brilliant.

One of the cool things that I would like to have mention is the whole many worlds element of the Continuum. That while it might be an echo of our world it does not have to be our world. That the events that are going on won't suddenly fade as our world's history manifests itself.

Comment

When you have Talents, Novas and Psionic geniuses being anchronistically advanced feels part for the course. I'd personally want something abit like Edgar Casey's Atlantis. Swords Sandals and Sky Chariots.

As for various other races? We have "Subaberant Mutants" in Aeon why not have centaurs and snake men in this time period? Hell why not go full Chariot of the Gods and have Aliens? We could have the Nova planet that is gone in AEON times being the "space gods" of this Era.

Comment

I am a big fan of Star Gate, and when I read Snake man and Chariot of Gods the first thing that came to my mind was Goauld! We must have them!

Come on, it would be fun!

Comment

Originally posted by Mateus Luz View Post
            I am a big fan of Star Gate, and when I read Snake man and Chariot of Gods the first thing that came to my mind was Goauld! We must have them!

We Do, they are called "Doyen"

Comment

Originally posted by Lian View Post
              We Do, they are called "Doyen"
              But... but... but... no Jafa Kree... no shining eyes... ok... I will make my own Goauld with hookers and black jack...

Comment

But... but... but... no Jafa Kree... no shining eyes... ok... I will make my own Goauld with hookers and black jack...

..I always envisioned Doyen took on the Gouald voice and Shining eyes when they were serious....

Comment

My one and only Aberrant game took much inspiration from Stargate with the whole multiple worlds and portals and such. So its pretty nifty to think of how things like that could be played here.

Thinking about it now I could totally see the SG-1 and Atlantis characters being Talents. In fact its like perfect for them. hehe

-----

The idea of the Doyen being the Goa'uld equivalent in the setting is an interesting one by the way.

-----

Though I am currently in a scifi mood the idea of playing in Atlantis, or the equivalent, is just sooooooooooooooooooooooooo cool to me.

Comment

Oh yes I am totally thinking about leaning into the sci-fantasy heavily. In a way I see it being very similar to AC: Odyssey, Kassandra even makes a great Nova/Demigod. The setting needs Serpent-men and Ancient Aliens, and Gods. Cayce-esque crystal-Atlantis is totally needed also. If you have suggestions, please do make them! I love combining ideas.

On the power stat and resources;
                    Why I chose Essence for Psi is because, well, I am a DnD4e fan, and I always see Chi kind of stuff as an out growth of psionics, and when I include the monk-esque Organization it would be a Mystic organization. Essence is a name that very handily references physical and mental energy. But Quintessence works quit well. Demigods get Essence, and Mystics get Quintessence. The fifth essence.

As for various monsters, well, I would say using Scion as a guide to making them with the Antagonist system works well enough. Setting-wise, mutants, experiments, aliens and lost races covers the territory. I would also add in a lot of Lovecraftian monsters, but that's just me.
                    In my setting, elves, humans and dwarves are all hominid species. Humans have access to all power sources. Elves favor the Psionics, and rarely have Quantum. Dwarves are the scientists of the setting, and are all into Quantum powers. All races can have Talents.

My Homebrew
                    Star Wars d10

Comment

Cool idea its like a mix of the Aegis idea, Lord Heru's thread on Prehistoric Psiads, and my ideas I am contemplating for an Aphelion setting.

It is a time for great deeds!

Comment

It's too soon for the Doyen to discover Earth. But I could see a similar race of psychic energy beings who possess human hosts, the result being elves…

Dwarves could be the remnants of a Quantum-powered alien race that crash-landed on Earth while fleeing the Doyen; indeed, the crash may be what triggered the rise of heroes, mystics, and demigods among the local humans. They have access to super-science know-how; but with their ship in ruins, they lack any infrastructure to support their science.

Comment

Well, I was more thinking of going the Ancient Aliens route, and having the other two permutations of the same experiment that uplifted hominids to humans, the elves and dwarves being a proto-type or alternative to the baseline human form. I haven't quite decided on the relationship between the Ancients (said Alien-Gods) and the Doyen yet. I imagine they would be something of enemies.

How long ago did the Doyen fail to uplift themselves anyways? Was it before 300,000 years ago?

My Homebrew
                          Star Wars d10

Comment

Slightly more than four million years ago, the Doyen were a powerful psychic species that evolved almost 7,000 light years from Earth.
                            Aeon page 359.

Comment

Hrm. They evolved more than four million years ago, and going with the 'about ten thousand years after spaceflight most species ascend" they did their experiment WAY before humans became a thing.

So, alternate idea. The Ancients were enemies of the Doyen.

I'll be honest, I was not thinking about the Doyen originally and what effect they may have. Now I am.

My Homebrew
                              Star Wars d10

Comment

Working...
                              X