No announcement yet.

ANTEDILUVIAN: A Trinity Continuum fantasy setting

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The idea of using TC for Exalted is a brilliant one to me. Made all the more interesting as Talents do have both Attribute and Skill (Ability) based powers.

Honestly, I think it would be fun. But even more it would be nifty to see such high powered Talent Gifts.

​Oh Dataweaver interesting stuff, very fun seeming. I don't have much to say on it beyond saying that I like it.

Comment

I think I should probably start a thread on higher-tier Talents, instead of discussing them strictly in the context of other topics.

Comment

Originally posted by Dataweaver View Post
        Nitpick: I didn't say “nice”; I said “good”. There's a song in the second act of Into the Woods where the former witch critiques the heroes over all the stuff they've done, and for rejecting her advice:

"You're so nice. You're not good, you're not bad; you're just nice. I'm not good, I'm not nice; I'm just right.”

I'm figuring with the reptilians it isn't just that they're often feared; it's also that they're the last remnants of a race that has been persecuted and is hiding out from the things that drove the rest of their race to extinction (the Doyen). They're paranoid, but have reason to be. And to be frank, “they look monstrous” goes both ways: to the reptilian sensibilities, humans look ugly and threatening. And the presence of the “elves” doesn't help matters: while they're not Doyen, they remind the reptilians of the Doyen.

I'm also figuring that the reptilians really are dying off: I say they've got about a generation to go because I'm figuring that they're no longer able to reproduce: maybe they've been sterilized, or maybe the survivors don't include any females of the species; whatever the case, the current generation of reptilians will be the last. This doesn't help matters, as it makes depression a widespread problem.

But none of that makes them bad people; it just means that the deck is stacked against them, and they're (understandably) resentful.
        I might go Transcendant Dino Gods. Novasaurs who play everything from bearers of wisdom to being mindless creatures of godlike power that need to be slain. But then dinosaurs are awesome...

Comment

Being Quantum-based (and thus subject to Transformations and Transcendence), the reptilians would very likely be a diverse bunch, in their own way. They wouldn't actually be dino-men (as in, descended from dinosaurs); but they'd be close enough, I think.

Comment

Diverse like Dinosaucers?
            https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dinosaucers

It’s getting better and better, it actually makes sense, the same way Novas have the most diverse appearances, the reptilians, even if not as powerful as full Novas, could develop the Mega Edge Body modification, and so become extremely diverse, like the dinosaurs (and Dinosaucers by extension).
            Last edited by Mateus Luz; 10-21-2019, 08:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mateus Luz View Post
              That would be mild, IMHO: they aren't dinosaurs, nor descended from dinosaurs, so there's no reason why their variety would follow the same classifications that dinosaurs fall into. In other words, expect combinations of features that you wouldn't find among dinosaurs.

Originally posted by Mateus Luz View Post
              It’s getting better and better, it actually makes sense, the same way Novas have the most diverse appearances, the reptilians, even if not as powerful as full Novas, could develop the Mega Edge Body modification, and so become extremely diverse, like the dinosaurs (and Dinosaucers by extension).
              This; and also bear in mind that there are some Transformations, like Physiological Shift and Twisted Appearance, that can alter how a reptilian looks. With all three of those in play, there might be a “default” look for the reptilians; but in practice, you might never get to see what one looks like.

Especially if we say that the way Quantum manifests among this species is such that everything is Body Modification, either directly or by means of everything that normally isn't a body modification is accompanied by an appropriate physical change: you should be able to look at a reptilian and guess what its powers are.

But yeah; both dinosaurs and dragons are viable inspiration for what different reptilians might be like.
              Last edited by Dataweaver; 10-21-2019, 09:14 PM.

Comment

Being Quantum-based (and thus subject to Transformations and Transcendence), the reptilians would very likely be a diverse bunch, in their own way. They wouldn't actually be dino-men (as in, descended from dinosaurs); but they'd be close enough, I think.

Well my idea they would explicitly be dinomen. They are the tragic survivors and after effect of the KT event. Yeah some how they are still around for this period well... there are going to be dinosaurs around for Adventure! so timey whimey... Maybe they should be bird people instead...

Comment

Are you familiar with the Conspiracy X setting? It's a setting with a very “X Files” vibe to it, including the protagonists being agents of a government organization whose mission statement is to track down and contain all the weirdness that's lurking in the shadows. That weirdness includes, among other things, three types of aliens: one that's effectively “the Greys” (a telepathic species that has it out for humans because, from a psionic standpoint, we're walking pollutants who are dumping raw psychic energy wherever we go), the Atlanteans (nanotech-wielding Nordics who serve as humanity's “benefactors”, but from a position of arrogance where their idea of what's best for us doesn't necessarily have anything to do with what's actually best for us), and a reptilian species that's essentially in a sort of “Planet of the Apes” predicament: their homeworld is ancient Earth (as in “when dinosaurs ruled the Earth” ancient), and their space fleet got thrown eons into their future by an encounter with a Singularity; now they're trying to retake the planet that was their homeworld from the mammals that evolved and replaced them during their long absence).

Because Conspiracy X has done the “survivors from the age of the dinosaurs” thing, I'm not inclined to repeat it. As well, if they've survived for millions of years, there's no reason to think that they'd suddenly be on their last legs right when the Antediluvian Age begins. One way or another, there should be a connection between the event that kicks off the Antediluvian Age and the reptilians; and my preference is for their arrival to be the trigger for the Event (the alternative being that the Event was the trigger for their sudden near-extinction).

I'm also trying to avoid the idea of “aliens are furries” (or in this case, “scaleys”?): specifically, I don't want any of the non-human species in the setting to be humans versions of specific known Terran species, be they cats, dogs, birds, or triceratops. Either they're not from Earth (in which case, why should they resemble Earth species?) or they're from Earth's distant past (in which case when and why did the surviving species of dinosaurs evolve into humanoids?).

That said, what I'm thinking involves the reptilians being so diverse that if you want to introduce some dinosaur-themed reptilians, you can easily do so; it's just that they're not limited to that.

Comment

Because Conspiracy X has done the “survivors from the age of the dinosaurs” thing, I'm not inclined to repeat it. As well, if they've survived for millions of years, there's no reason to think that they'd suddenly be on their last legs right when the Antediluvian Age begins. One way or another, there should be a connection between the event that kicks off the Antediluvian Age and the reptilians; and my preference is for their arrival to be the trigger for the Event (the alternative being that the Event was the trigger for their sudden near-extinction).
                    Con X didn't Invent these ideas whole cloth. They have been around forever. Especially the Reptoids are dinosaurs who survived onwards. Honestly I was thinking more the various space gods and nonhuman species are incorporated less as a causal point of the situation and more as they get caught up in things. You have dinosaur people pulled from their post appocalyptic hell hole, you have Alien "Gods" pulled to a mountain with all their tech and powers... but without a breeding population... but hey maybe those humans down there? You might have people from the various other time periods trapped in there playing god or trying to "fix" history.

I'm also trying to avoid the idea of “aliens are furries” (or in this case, “scaleys”?): specifically, I don't want any of the non-human species in the setting to be humans versions of specific known Terran species, be they cats, dogs, birds, or triceratops. Either they're not from Earth (in which case, why should they resemble Earth species?) or they're from Earth's distant past (in which case when and why did the surviving species of dinosaurs evolve into humanoids?).
                    This is a universe where Hyper intelligent Gorillas were a thing at least once... reality is.. flexable.

Comment

What about a dimension where the dinosaurs never went extinct and due to a Hammersmith like event on their dimension one of their big cities is transported to a parallel dimension, Antedeluvian dimension, and that started the setting.

They can be incapable of reproducing for some reason, trying to comeback to their dimension, or even having issues to find proper food, so they are hunting people... just random ideas.

Comment

Working...
                      X