Teleport one shot kill

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Teleport one shot kill

So if I’m getting this right, a nova with teleport, interplanetary and the impose only tag can just touch someone and pretty much kill someone hands down.
    So to the breakdown. A nova that does interplanetary teleport needs to pay several times along the extended travel needs to pay or the travelers get rent out in atoms or lost in a time space loop. So random nova assassin just walks up and touches someone and pops them to say, alpha Centauri(after studying pictures extensively or maybe even having been there), and as the first milestone comes up they don’t pay the quantum cost and then gone. No more player or pc. Let alone any nova that does not have adaptation and just gets popped into space.

Beware abusing powers like this when there's something like a "lost in a time-space loop," clause... because it's just asking to have them get unlost 20 years in the past and ready to kill your character dead once they return from dumping them into the great unknown like that.

There's lots of ways for a Nova assassin to kill someone.. and ones without the potential to not actually kill them like this. Maybe it could use a clause to help protect unwilling passengers, but I'm not sure how much this is going to come up if people are playing to the spirit of the game (at least a a problem... telefrag tactics seem rather in keeping with Novas turning into the bad guys).

Comment

I know players who would pull this kind of tactic, so I'd probably tell them they can't just shunt someone to a place they'd have to pay a maintenance cost to get to. Of course that would result in a lot of sub-orbital drops...

Comment

Almost all of my players have a more punisheresk mentality. No matter the game we play most of them end up in murder hobo mentality.

Comment

Originally posted by Fuzzykuma View Post
          Almost all of my players have a more punisheresk mentality. No matter the game we play most of them end up in murder hobo mentality.
          It would seem murderhobos transcend petty complications such as eras of time, and are ubiquitous.

Comment

Honestly that there's some random Good Samaritan who teleports people back who "accidentally" end up on Alpha centari is possibility. As are aliens.. Really complications are a thing.

Comment

It's also Aberrant... one of the whole points of the primary timeline is that Novas are humans with too much personal power and no controls... which ends pretty badly, not the least because of basic pettiness and such.

Comment

It sounds like the issue is not so much lethal PCs but the idea of one PC having an attack that's dramatically better than all other attacks?

The game isn't in its final form yet, but most superhero games with strong powers require the occasional GM ruling on using powers like this. I'd basically say, "you can do this against people who a nova would be able to effortlessly defeat anyway, and you can do this in rare dramatic situations where it'd be super-awesome, but if you try to do this every single time you get in a fight, I'm gonna start treating it as a Quantum Attack and require you to actually do enough damage to kill someone before you can send them into inescapable doom. Because it's not fun for anyone else, otherwise." I'd also let them reassign their dots if they want.

As written, Impose is an extremely powerful tag and can be game-breaking if abused all the time. In comics, teleporters who teleport their enemies are a staple, but they never seem to insta-kill any major characters. And in Aberrant 1e, there's someone who warps a bunch of pursuing bigots to the moon or something where they're found much later, but those are just minor baselines. There's no entries about elites who use teleport to instantly kill novas left and right, or things about forced teleport/morph/etc being the best powers ever for offense, so it's pretty clear that they didn't want them to dominate the setting. Most likely, they wanted them to be a cool and fun thematic option without making them just objectively more dangerous than Quantum Attack or other offensive abilities. So it seems reasonable to just house-rule Impose a bit to limit it so it doesn't wreck your game. Kinda sucks to have to do that, but this _is_ a draft, and even if it's still an issue in the final version, superhero games usually have those issues because assigning huge costs or restrictions to prevent abuses also prevent a lot of fun stuff, so it's a bit of a trade off.

Comment

Aberrant is about killing people like flys, if the target is not capable of handeling his way back to Earth or able to resist your forced teleport, it’s not a worth adversary. Imagine you are going to force a Nova that got Q4, Quantum Blast 4 to not instakill any target because the other characters can’t do it.

Now about interplanetary teleport, not because attacking with it, but because it’s not the objective of the game, I would make the target roll all the power rolls and pay all the cost on activation, otherwise the power don’t work. You need to concentrate to travel that far distances, even if you know it, that’s why it takes longer to reach. But that’s a house rule.

Comment

I think like any RPG, the best is to make a social contract in session zero about what are the players concepts and the campaign concept So everyone can play accordingly what with they want.

As it is in the rules it is ambiguous, like the same power Teleport that says the target can't get objects and items with him, so they need to attune. But the problem arises when the same nova can teleport other people and we can have a nova player that can troll the game

Comment

Originally posted by Mateus Luz View Post
                      Aberrant is about killing people like flys, if the target is not capable of handeling his way back to Earth or able to resist your forced teleport, it’s not a worth adversary. Imagine you are going to force a Nova that got Q4, Quantum Blast 4 to not instakill any target because the other characters can’t do it.
                      Aberrant 1e involved killing people like flies. In Aberrant 2e, it's extremely difficult to kill someone in a single hit unless they're an extra or you have at least three more Scale than they do.

Most novas, even the really powerful ones, can't survive in space for long, and most of those can't fly between planets. Teleporting someone to another planet also forces time distortion so even if they could handle getting back, they've already missed everything for a while. And defense generally doesn't match offense due to the way the dice pools work.

A nova with Quantum Bolt 4 can't instant-kill an non-minor character with higher than Scale 1 defense unless they're very injured or they only have three health levels and roll badly. (Poison is the exception; it adds another health level of damage.) You can't do more than one Inflict Injury plus one Inflict Injury per scale difference, and you can only do one Critical Hit.

If a dedicated purely offensive Quantum Bolt 4 can't even instantly kill a Scale 2 target most of the time, I don't think it seems fair to say that a movement power like Teleport 4 can frequently instantly kill a Scale 6 target. It's pretty clear that the developers don't want major characters to die left and right anymore.

Comment

You still need to Roll Power+Quantum higher than the target Defense with no Enhancements, it’s not automatic, while a Quantum Bolt will have some enhancements. I don’t think a regular Scale 6 target will have defence low enough to be an easy target for a random Teleporter kill (or at least take him too far away to ever comeback).

Any way, if it start to make the game less fun to anyone, the SG should step on. The idea is to have fun together, and it’s getting annoying it’s better to work it out.
                        Last edited by Mateus Luz; 10-21-2019, 09:08 PM.

Comment

IF you are going to buy a murder power, you buy a murder power. If "teleport people to alpha centari" is cheaper and more efficient than "Quantum bolt" is more my issue. If they want to try to cheat the system by only buying teleport to be a murderer well... its going to fail often enough that they might as well buy a variant of Quantum bolt that teleports peices of the person elsewhere..

Comment

Working...
                          X